Options

Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    I bought a new pair of Kayano XIIs for Dublin - wore them for the breakfast run. No blisters!

Then key to smelly trainers is keeping them dry and if they get soaked then if you can dry them out relatively quickly then they'll be less likely to pong. This is what I keep telling my wife when she insists that I leave them outside the front door or bung em in the garage - if only I could put them in the corner of the dining room overnight.

Then there was the time the neighbours tom cat decided that my trainers outside the front door did resemble cat pee so gave them a topping up with the real thing :) Orrible cat.

I ran for about 300 yards to catch the last post and know that going to the running club tomorrow would be a bad move. I might go for a little moon lit trot for 30 minutes.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Work is preventing much posting at the mo but glad to hear everyone is recovering well and planning the next races.

GillyH, I am planning on doing NYC next year with a couple of friends so maybe see you there!! It will mean giving Dublin a miss but I will be out to spectate for sure.

Apart from a couple of pre-Christmas fun runs my next "proper" race will be the Connemarathon Half on 1st April (no, the irony of the date has not slipped me by!).

I haven't run since last week. The stiffness went from my legs pretty quickly but they just didn't feel like running. I did a 90min walk yesterday and I could feel the effects afterwards. I guess 26 miles does leave it's mark. First run tomorrow night. Probably a gentle 3 miles or so.

I really felt a big post race anti-climax yesterday and this morning. Lots of "this time last week....." etc. Never expected that - I just thought I'd be relieved it was over. Now I am embracing it a good sign and planning the next one with gusto!!

Have a nice evening.
  • Options
    Having said I wasn't going to run for at least four weeks, I've just got some work as a film extra in a romantic comedy involving a marathon scene, and the money is good.... so I may have to do some running this week after all.... will just be doing a very realistic rendition of a struggling limping marathoner!
  • Options
    Haven't run for over a week now!

Currently pencilled in Sussex Beacon Half in Brighton as my next target. Considering Copenhagen as my Marathon for next year. Anyone done that one?
  • Options
    DTB - very glamarous!!

Calling all marathon 'experts' - went for a run on Sunday and after 30mins started to get tired, then around 5 miles the pain I got in my left leg during the marathon (like cramp from bum to ankle) came back and I ended up walking the last 1/2 mile home - is this normal? If so, how long does it usually take to recover after a marathon? I don't weant to rest for too long and let all the hard work go to pot but also don't want to risk injury.

Still feeling emotional about last Monday - not sure another marathon would ever top this feeling. I am starting to think about what I can do to celebrate my 40th birthday (I have 4 yrs to prepare), ideas so far:

Swim the Channel
    Cycle John o Groates to Lands End
    Walk the Great Wall of China
    Run marathon at Everest Base camp

Please feel free to make any suggestions....................
  • Options
    lol think it's not going to be so much glamorous as standing freezing in running gear for hours! off to bed now as I have to get up at 5 am!

How about eat 40 birthday cakes in 40 days? ;-)

or there's always the GUCR.... www.gucr.co.uk
  • Options
    looks good as a canal must be pretty flat! Will add to the list:
    Swim the Channel
    Cycle John o Groates to Lands End
    Walk the Great Wall of China
    Run marathon at Everest Base camp
    GURC
  • Options
    Superman has run the Everest Marathon.16 days trekking to get there!
    Did anyone notice the embroidery about it on the back of his cape?
  • Options
    LP - there are dozens of extreme running events around the globe. Marathons (and Ultras) around both Poles and in teh Arctic Circle and in teh Sahara for example. There are events like the Marathon de Sable or the Jungle Marathon as well which are real once in a lifetime.

Personally I'd aim more for the likes of the Marathon de Medoc (talked about on here a while back) - a marathon with wine stops rather than water. Now that I will be doing at some stage in my life!
  • Options
    LP...go to NY baby and SHOP!!...thats what I did...:o)

Having said that mrGFB and I are going to La Santa for Long Distance Tri Training for our 20th anniversary...so you can't listen to me!!
  • Options
    amadeus, you forget the cheese and other local food products at each stop. They also have a 10km fun run through some local vineyards the following day, I think that is measured in liters and not minutes and seconds. Some from our club where thinking of doing this again.

LP, there is also this Tri stuff you could tri.

I did my first run post marathon tonight an easy 5 miler but my left leg muscles felt tight but not painful.
    I have one more run this week and some cross training before doing an easy flat cross country this weekend.
  • Options
    I've still got the cold I had on marathon weekend, or I've swapped it for Zuppy's cold.... Either way I am a one woman snot machine at the moment.... Got to go to the dentist for a root canal later on too.... and I'vew been in work since 5:30...... I need a holiday.
  • Options
    Throw in some PMS there SL and you have the making of the worst day ever!
  • Options
    marathon de medoc sounds like my bag, I am way ahead on the training for that one!

I'm away from hom in Manchester and staying in the worst hotel in the world - the rooms in a prison are better equiped than this one!

SL - I would take a few days off in bed if I were you. Nothing beats sleeping off a cold.
  • Options
    ...baby boy has started eating 4 weetabix for breakfast! Plus he's been falling asleep after school again...he'll be 6 foot before we know it!
  • Options
    I fall asleep at work - does that mean I'll become a giant ? ;o)
  • Options
    How many weetabix are you eating?
  • Options
    Ah, good point - I have honey nut cheerios for breakfast - do they count ?
  • Options
    I'm afraid the HNC do not have growth hormones in them.
  • Options
    Damn - looks like I'll remain stunted for ever....:o)
  • Options
    flase alarm... dentist was only taking xrays and making moulds today... root canal scheduled for my birthday in a month..... that a palavar (sp?)

you're hardly stunted HH.... Zup calls me squirt :-(
  • Options
    SL - please tell me you're not going to the dentist (bad enough) on your birthday, but for root canal work!! Surely there must be another date (never!)

Just been out from work to get a sandwich and one of the slices of bread is as hard as the floor. GRrrr

Thinking of doing my first gentle 3 miler this evg but not if it's raining. Because I don't have to any more - at least for a while.

Anyone thinking of doing the Dublin Port Tunnel run? It's 10km - 4.5km down one side and then back with presume little bit at either end. It's before the Tunnel's official opening next month and no date fixed for it yet. I just don't think I could cope with running in a tunnel!
  • Options
    NRG2. I'd like to do the port tunnel run. I agree running through a tunnel has got to be a nightmare but it's a once in a lifetime (or even once ever) opportunity.
  • Options
    I've just had some fizzy drink go up my nose...... I feel about 7 again!
  • Options
    tunnel run sounds fun, will you post it up what date it is on?
  • Options
    A once in a lifetime event!

Clonliffe Harriers Athletics Club and the Dublin Port Company are proud to announce the Dublin Port Tunnel 10k (under IAAF/ AAI rules). A totally unique experience, a 10k road race under the streets of Dublin!

The port tunnel construction is the largest ever civil engineering project undertaken in the State. It is the longest urban tunnel road in Europe. Over 7.5 million man hours was spent in its construction by over 5000 people. This is your chance to get to see it up close - before it is open for business. The route will involve starting at the port area, running the 4.5 km length of one tunnel, popping out at Santry before returning through the other tunnel to the finish back at the port.

Entry Details

The organisers are currently working flat out on finalisation of entry details. Full details will be available soon and will be posted on this website. Entries for this unique event will be taken online only (link available shortly). For health and safety reasons there will be a strict limit placed on the numbers who can take part in the Port Tunnel race. Once entry has opened there will be a strict closing date specified and entry will close on the closing date or when the entry limit has been met, whichever is the sooner.

Entry fee: To be announced.
  • Options
    Date of race

An announcement is expected over the course of the next couple of weeks. Once an official announcement has been made regarding the date of the opening of the Port Tunnel, this will be followed by an official announcement of the date of the running of the Dublin Port Tunnel 10k. Full details will be posted on this page. A portion of the entry fee to the Dublin Port Tunnel 10k will go to Dublin City Councils nominated charity 'The Mansion House Fuel Fund'. In addition all charities are welcome to nominate runners taking part and to seek to raise funds for their charity in the normal manner.

port tunnel run
  • Options
    Sign me up for that... If you hear a date before me please let me know

:)
  • Options
    Amadeus, If you need somewhere to stay you (and Mrs A with little A's) are welcome to B&B with us.
  • Options
    just found this. It may be of interest to irish runners
    http://www.runrepublic.ie/racing.htm