Options

Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    Hasn't pam done a tunnel race?

Don't know if I'd facny it...it'd be like running indoors!
  • Options
    GFB but there will never ever ever be another race in this particular tunnel..... They started building this tunnel just before my dad got ill. I passed it almost every day for 18 months bringing him to hospital in Dublin for chemotherapy, He died 4 and a half years ago and it's almost over.... it's just a bl88dy tunnel but for some reason it holds a silly significance to me because it always reminds me of those trips. (soppy bit over, will return to talking about bodily functions and mingin students soon)
  • Options
    (((SL))) Maybe we'll come down and run for your dad too then...keep us all posted re:dates :o)
  • Options
    Sl - can't believe it's that long since it started. Sorry about the significance of it for you. I've been watching out for it too....think they will be inundated with entries - from runners and non runners alike.

wonder how long the dublin airport metro link will take - any bets?
  • Options
    Giller, you'll be a granny before it's done!
  • Options
    (Sticks head up from behind huge mountains of paperwork:( ) There's a bloke in my running club who is a Granddad at 36 - isn't that obscene?

This work thing really is overrated!

(Disappears behind said mountain of paperwork)
  • Options
    Love Pumpkin, how long you in Manchester for?
  • Options
    Being an extra was fun. They gave us bacon sarnies and sausage sarnies. Then we did some running. Then they gave us soup and rolls. Then we did some running. Then they gave us curry and hotpot and salad and cheese and bread and cheesecake. Then we did some running. Then we had tea and biscuits and they gave us £125 !

The downside was freezing our arses off and waking up before 5am. Then again, we were finished by half three, so not so much hardship really..... zzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Same again tomorrow, Sunday and Monday. :-)
  • Options
    DTB...what is the film? Sounds good craic!

The food sounds nice too!
  • Options
    It's called 'Run Fat Boy Run'!

Don't know too much else about it - directed by David Schwimmer, starring Simon Pegg and Thandie Newton.

Today I met a zombie from 28 days later and a monster from Dr Who! lol....think I might sign up with some film extra agencies for future work too - seems like a good way to supplement my income from painting / design / children's workshops / face painting / other random temp stuff !

off to sleep soon...zzzzzzz......
  • Options
    That sounds like real fun! I'm such a groupie!
  • Options
    I knew DTB before she was famous :o)
  • Options
    too late - she's gone all "luvvie" !!
  • Options
    hey smiley lady
    it would be a great privledge to do the tunnel run in memory of your dad, please keep us all posted when we can entry.

Go you movie star DTB!!!
  • Options
    DTB,I think my friend is in that race. He is filming something with Thandie Newton at the moment. Keep your eye open for a short, round, irish redhead called Nevin!

I've heard on the grapevine that he race will take place on Sunday December 10. This has to be confirmed officailly, but a good pointer is that the National Novice has been re-fixed for Saturday December 9, from the 10th.
  • Options
    SL - can't think of a better reason to run it. Have you thought about trying to raise sponsorship?

By the way your offer of B&B is exceptionally kind and - in light of some of the things I've told you all on here about the rugrats - is a sign of either stupidity, naivity or exceptional courage...
  • Options
    Im in florida.......... a forumite (Pebble) who is the most amazing man on the planet works for Ford the main sponsors and pulled some strings and I'm in.........

Amadeus, One of the first marathons I did I asked for sponsorship (for the irish red cross).I promised everyone it was a once off and I intend to keep my word.

If we can survive Zuppy and mini-me Zup, we can survive the family A.!
  • Options
    Congrats on Florida SL...have you got your whole year next year sorted out now?

Raising sponsorship can be very stressful at times...last year before FLM I (and srmsfurball for some reason!) were literally losing sleep over it!

I'm a bit more organised this year, I've a couple of hundred in the bag and I'm organising "a night at the races" for the end of January...apparently you can rake it in at one of those!
  • Options
    Big round of applause for Florida! (I assume it's an Ironman and not simply entering the State - I know they are strict, but is it that bad...?!)

Fair enough on the sponsorship thing - I keep getting asked who I'm running for when people find out I'm training and I almost feel guilty when I say I'm not fundraising, but there is only so much you can do before you p*ss people off.

Thanks again for the offer it's genuinley appreciated.
  • Options
    Here's a discussion myself and my doctor were having at the expo and me & the family had after the race...

We pretty much all generally agreed that it is much, much harder to do a slow marathon than a fast one. Not in the sense that it's easier to go fast and anyone can but in the sense that everyone in a marathon is putting in a huge effort. It's one thing to put that effort in for 3 or 4 hours but to do it for 5 or 6 boggles my mind - I don't think I could.

What do you lot think, which is tougher fast or slow marathons?
  • Options
    conversation I had in the changingroom of my gym about a year ago.
    There was a middle aged woman getting dressed and she had a women's mini marathon teeshirt on. TO make conversation I asked her if she had done the race. She said yes and asked me if I had. I said yes and she then asked me who I had done it for. I said, noone that I usually run for my own pleasure. She told me I was a criminal and that it was wrong to to the race for selfish reasons.....

I think it depends on where you're coming from.
    for me
    3:30 or faster is very hard
    4 hours is a lot of fun
    6 hours is very hard because it takes so long
    (yes I have done all 3)
  • Options
    She was a dimwit then wasn't she! We have MrsA's Godfather visiting this week and he asked if I was going to run London and he seemed really surprised when I said it had signifigantly less than no appeal to me. I know it's supposed to have a great atmosphere but to me it just seems like a fundraiser dressed up as a race. I may not be rocketship fast but I set out to do my best in an athletic event and tripping over dozens of people in fancy dress doesn't float my boat. I know some people really enjoy it and have raised thousands for great causes (hats off to GFB and Pam) but it's like Marmite - you either love it or hate it I guess.
  • Options
    MrGFB doesn't "fund raise" as such but if anyone asks who he's running for he always says the Hospice...and we pass the money on to them.

I've only done slow marathons and they're hard...but in my thinking it's probably hard to do it fast but at least it's over quicker!
  • Options
    Congrats on Florida SL.

• Options
    Hey everyone the cheque I sent for the FLM has been cashed.... I think that means I have a place...OH MY GOD
  • Options
    Congrats Sand!

GFB - thats a good idea actually. As Mrs A runs the local branch of a national charity I'll adopt that as my stock answer :)
  • Options
    well done on Florida SL - hats off to your contact.

re. sponsership - I only raise money every now and then because it just pisses people off too much. Usually I end up writing a cheque for my own selected charity. I've a new one to add to my list since my man with the heart condition has just developed asthma! Hopefully he'll grow out of it....In the mean time I have to reacquaint myself with my hoover!

I'm starting to not like the womens mini marathon...you are now looked down on if you want to a) run it, and b) have not got a charity t-shirt on.

Having said that, SL's info on the santa claus marathon has me seriously thinking about it as a BIG fundraiser for heart children.

Unfortunately no one seems to be immune to disease these days - I guess we've all been touched by Cancer in one form or another. Anyone with Kids would have a bias towards their health issues/kids hospitals... then there's addictions of all types, Aids, depression, all of which I've experience of through immediate family - and we haven't even touched on world hunger, human rights, the environment etc etc etc....phew...back to work, much less stressful...
  • Options
    MrsA did the mini-marathon in Limerick this year and it was a bit of an eye-opener for me. For a start I have an irrational anti attitude to anthing that uses the term "marathon" lightly. Marathons are bloody hard work and need a lot of dedication to do. Half Marathons fair enough - it's half a marathon distance, what else are you going to call it! But "Mini Marathon" at 4.5 miles? If they had even gone for 6.5 miles (quarter marathon) then grand but what does 4.5 miles have to do with the marathon????!

Out of 3 or 400 entrants I think maybe 20 actually ran it and everyone was in a charity T of one form or another. Stuff like that isn't a race, it's a fundraising event. Thats fair enough - Mrs A's charity made a lot of badly needed money off it, so I'm the last one to knock it - but for ppl who don't run events like that are considered the norm rather than the exception so when you say you run as a sport rather than to fundraise you do get strange looks.

This has a knock on to events like the Dublin marathon - I met a few ppl on the train and about half had trained specifically to walk the distance, something that probably wouldn't have happened a few years ago. In a lot of ways it's a good thing, democratises the marathon and empowers people.