Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

LMUH - M&S have some sort of Salmon thing. Not sure what it is I just know we are having it on Boxing Day. If you can do a wheat free puff pastry then there is a simple Jamie Oliver dish.

VR - Are Shades turkeys named after people that a p**sed her off? Just trying to narrow it down.

Thought about tryingto get out for a run this morning. However, the pavements are too icy and I only have 12mm spikes at the moment.image (Need to get some short ones). May have to try and sneek a run in on Christmas day before heading to the in-laws.image

Wait a min I could run there off to google the distance image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

James - I would need more than 3 turkeys if they were to be named after folk that have p**sed me off!

LMH - sorry don't think I have anything special enough, nearly all of mine are salmon with various marinades/glazes, my favourite is maple syrup and wholegrain mustard, 3 tbsp of each for 4 fillets, cook in oven, skin side down, put glaze on top.

...must go and see if turkey is ready to be cooked

back on line tomorrow

• Options
    VR - I was breathalysed last December after someone ran into the back of me!
  • Options

First day of my Xmas holiday today so went for a longer run just over 5 miles. Then at the time I would be at work I went back to bed to be and slept for a couple of hours!

This afternoon i went to the hospital with my wife. the person before did not turn up so she went straight in. consultant wants here to have her thumb joint replaced so she will be able to use crutches when her knee is replaced.  if all that goes well she could then have her shoulder joint replaced! She is not sure how much of this she wants doing, but she has been warned that if she does not have these operations done soon it will be too late.

We then went to a big M&S and bought some fancy food. 

• Options

Crikey WD, she'll end up being the Bionic woman! Poor lady. thats a lot of surgery.
    Sounds like you both deserve some fancy food from M&S image Enjoy.

• Options
    LMUH - Not sure what your after food wise. I have a zillion cookery books, is it roast Salmon?
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

WD,

Hugs to you & Mrs WD.

Bootise,

Would agree with Shades regarding Xmas dinner.

VR,

I think I know the name of last year's turkey as it was either a very very unusual name or either one of my relations names.

• Options

Helloimage

Struggled out the last two nights and did the minimum 3 miles. Its really hard going in the snow and its soooo cold. The cream is between a trifle and a potato dish and its between 3 of us. Do you think 10 miles will be enough on Saturday??!!image

Had a lovely night out with an old friend last night so I've fallen behind with the blethers, I'll read back now!

• Options

James - I'd love wheat free puff pastry but have never found any/a recipe. Hope you get your run in.

VR - I'm thinking something fancy with salmon - found a stuffed sides of salmon recipe on t'internet that uses pesto and seems quite straightforward - as long as I can find string that I can cook with - not sure the supermarket will have that.

Shades - that sounds nice and about what I'm planning to do with the roast carrots and parsnips!

bootsie - Shades is spot on, it's the timing that's the hardest part but most things will cope with 'resting' for a while as long as you put them on a hot serving plate and leave them under the grill (if yours is above your oven so it gets warm - don't switch it on!) and most people are just grateful they haven't got to do the cooking themselves so wil love whatever you serve them!

Mrs Mac - as long as you do another 10 on Sunday image I'll be lucky to get 3 in on Saturday image

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

(((WD & Mrs WD))) I knew someone who finally had his knee replaced after it gave way completely. Afterwards, he said that he wished he had had it done years before, as he was so much more mobile image.

James - were you going to Buntingford on 28th? I was, but it's been cancelled now image. Mum lives at Buntingford and I was up there today - although the main roads are OK, the side roads are very icy and all the pavements are still covered in compacted snow. Probably a wise decision, especially as there were a few hills on the route.

Went out today, but conditions underfoot have deteriorated. The mini -thaw we had yesterday has made things worse as the slush and melted snow have now turned into ice. Managed 4 laps of the nature reserve on the remains of the once fluffy, now cruchy snow. Don't know if it was my very easy week last week, or a combination of running on snow/slush with trail shoes or that I have suddenly lost all fitness, but I've found running this week to be very hard work. Even when I've found a stretch of tarmac I've only been able to joddle (cross between jog and waddle). Feels like I'll never get up to distance again.

Saw my 'big tracks' again , but on looking a little more closely, and seeing lots more all round, I've worked out that it wasn't one big paw print each time, but 3 or 4 little ones - rabbits. I think I can cope with rabbits image.

• Options
    I managed a painfully slow 4 miles tonight on varying types of snow
  • Options

Slowish 6.2 miles here in the snow, just me and the ex virgins out tonightimage, was OK except for the bits where the plough had pushed all the slush onto the pavements where it had frozen. Yuk!

Busy day tomorrow I guess for us cooks - daughter had a biscuit baking marathon today so have lots of Christmas shortbread and choc chip biscuitsimage

• Options
    Mowzer - Yes I was going to do the Buntingford 10. Shame it had to be cancelled.
  • Options

WD - difficult decisions for Mrs WD - and potentially lots of nursing for you. In my experience of other peoples joint replacements they usually bring relief and an increase in quality of life which most seem to judge worth the pain and inconvenience.

mowzer - it's time of year/weather/conditions underfoot - seems to be happening to everyone, at least you're getting out there.

I 'should' get on the turbo today as I'll be able to do nothing other than run (conditions permitting - please permit conditions or I may go mad) whilst at the in-laws but I'll see what it's like underfoot when I walk Grace and may be naughty - after all, it is nearly xmas image

• Options
    heading out now eek! 10 miles here i come.. slow and steady!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

WD - i'm sure they wouldn't suggest all that surgery for Mrs WD unless they  thought it would improve her mobility significantly.

Mrs Mac - I don't think you could ever eat enough to keep pace with the miles you and Mr Mac do in your ultras, so a couple of litres of cream won't matter

Mowser - I know what you mean about fitness, my running pace has dropped dramatically in this weather and I find it really hard going.   we haven't had a mini thaw as you did yesterday so conditions still the same, our car park is a sheet of ice, very tricky getting to my car.

LOL at your giant rabbits!!!!!

Final food shop completed, Lidl's and Tesco's, wasn't too bad, everyone still in good humour. 

Wasn't able to cook turkey no.1 yesterday as it hadn't defrosted, am going to put it in the oven now and then cook Tyrone this afternoon.   I also have to wrap presents and ice the Xmas cake.  I'm hoping to get out for a run too but don't like to go out when the oven is on.   Have a short sleeved t-shirt on as it's going to be hot in my flat today with all that cooking.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ordered those spikes yesterday, hopefully I may never need them.   I also ordered another pair of running shoes at the same timeimage.   I definitely have an addiction problem when it comes to marathons, running shoes and now turkeysimage
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done to everyone who's got out.  We're due to have a thaw down here Monday & Tuesday.

• Options
    Much warmer here this morning and thankfully HR behaving a little more normally. Just refuelling with coffee and cake before heading for a soak in the bath. Mark had to work this morning so we can't travel until later.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LMH - good news on the HR.   Hope the roads are clear for your journey to Bristol.    Lovely sunny day here now, no thaw though.

• Options

LMUH - wavesimage, have a good trip!

Shades - I think your turkey addiction is the worst one image, cooking lots here too today, and survived the last minute shops. Made chestnut stuffing, cranberry sauce, spinach soup and got to invent a veggie alternative for middle daughter.?image

Some of our deliveries have even made it through.

No point worrying about running pace at the minute I don't think, once the roads clear hopefully it'll be a lot easier. If they ever do.image.

• Options

Thanks Shades - yes, HR coming back to normal is a relief. Mark has to work until 1300hrs so we'll be a while yet.

I have some nice nut roast recipes Elspeth though I actually like quorn chicken fillets too which are really easy to cook and just fit in with the rest of the meal if she likes those?

• Options

morning!! yay.. 10 miles done and dusted this morning finally in the great outdoors! not too much ice at all and kept a nice slow and steady temp! at home now with my spiced beef sandwich, tea and chocs! well deserved me thinks!

picked up my ham and turkey this morning so excited and all set! 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMUH,

That's good news.

-----------

Happy Christmas everyone. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Elspeth - I think the turkey addiction is because I wanted to buy a turkey during the year and the shops just don't stock them, I could have ordered from a butcher but not prepared to pay the price.   The only turkey I saw for sale in a supermarket was in Cork and I didn't think Air South West would let me take it on the plane!

I'm making stuffing tomorrow as I cook it separately, ciabatta and rosemary this year, not made it before.

For dessert tomorrow I'm going to make your Warm Plum Trifle, a while ago I had mentioned the receipe to my Mum and she said she'd like that for Xmas day.

LMH - I love quorn chicken, I buy the chopped stuff in Lidl's for stir fries, very good.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

bootsie - xpost.   Well done on your run.   Now how do you cook this spiced beef?

HY4 - and Happy Xmas to you too.   I take it Chris is doing the cooking this year?

• Options
    well shades you can only buy it in cork.. it comes pre spiced and you just boil it like a ham image it comes out perfect and yummy!!! delighted.. not a proper christmas for a cork girl without it!!
  • Options

LOL bootsie - that's cheating! I had visions of you creating a masterpiece image

And the meatballs Shades - they're lovely with pasta.

Right - signing off, may or may not be on tomorrow so Merry Xmas everyone.

• Options

Shades - hope your mum likes the trifle, goes down well here, must make one before the girls go back next week.

Bootsie - pity, I was going to ask for the recipe too, sounds delicious.

LMUH - thanks, think I am concocting a chestnut and mushroom pastry thing so sort of getting there on that one. She's not that keen on the quorn chicken - eats it sometimes but wouldn't consider it a Christmas treat!

• Options

its wierd.. definately just a cork thing and it comes pre spiced.. but i am sure you can make it!

Ingredients: for 20-25 servings

6lb (2.7kg) middle rib of beef, boned and rolled
    1lb (450g) salt
    3 carrots, roughly chopped
    1 turnip, roughly chopped
    1 onion, cut into rings pieces
    1 onion, finely minced
    4 oz (110g) moist brown sugar
    6 tsp mixed spice
    0.5oz (13g) saltpetre
    1 bay leaf
    allspice, black pepper, cloves, mace, mixed herbs, nutmeg, thyme
    fresh finely chopped parsley.

Method:

To boil the beef, make a bed of carrots, turnips and ringed onions at the bottom of a pan. Place the beef on top, add the bay leaf, and cover with cold water. Boil for 30 minutes per 1lb/450g, plus an extra 30 minutes. Remove from pot and place between two plates. Put a heavy object on top of the plate and leave for 12-15 hours and then tie the beef with string.

Mix the herbs and spices with salt, sugar and minced onion. Cover the meat in this mixture, rubbing it in well for several minutes. Place into an earthenware crock and cover. Turn the meat once a day, every day for a fortnight and rub in the spice mixture each time.