Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

Well that's it, training is done. The next time I lace up my trainers it'll be for real! 4 miles done today and the odd pain seems to have disappeared which is good but will foam roller again just to be sure.

Have decided on my old faithful trainers for the marathon, they've still got plenty of life and saw me through the Bath Half. I do have 2 newer pairs but I like my older ones. Nutrition wise planning on taking 3 gels with me and water on the course. I felt a bit odd after 2 gels plus lucozade in the half so I think I overdid it then but during my 20 mile runs I've taken just one gel and some water and been fine so hope this will be ok. I know it's going to be cold which I am very pleased with so just planning on charity vest and shorts so that should be ok. 

Suddenly it's getting very real! This tapering lark is hard though, I'm not a big eater so constantly worrying about enough carbs and trying not to skip meals is tough for me. 

Happy running all!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

JACKY - I'm excited for you!   Good to hear the mystery pain has gone.

Good idea to use your faithful trainers.  Might be a bit chilly with just a vest, take some gloves, you can always take them off and ditch them if you like.    Arm warmers maybe?   Again you can take them off if you get warm.   The forecast has a feels like temperature of 2 to 5 degrees for the first 3 hours of the marathon and the body does chill after 20 miles.

Just keep nibbling away, no skipped meals.

Enjoyimage

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Morning everyone! Getting exciting with all the build up to London.

Jacky - That's a relief that niggle has gone. I've never done London but I seem to remember SK saying last year that it was really cold at the start and there's quite a bit of hanging around. Maybe it would be a good idea to take an old fleece or something and then leave it somewhere when the race starts.

I second Shades' recommendation for arm warmers too. I LOVE arm warmers.

Mowzer - You often make your races sound like a nice country ramble.. seeing friends, chatting, eating different things, walking up steep hills - but in reality you must be shifting when you run to clock up those sorts of times. It's not like you're tapering for any of these races either - you just seem to churn them out. A big well done again.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Well done Mower on the sub-4.  Do you take up your London GFA place, or do you tend not to?

Great news Jacky on completing your final training run.  When are you picking your race number up?

SK - how is your niggle feeling now?

I'm excited about London.  I love it, and wish I was there.  A coach load of Trotters are going up to London this weekend, so I'll be tracking all of them too.

As for me, I did a 5mile run yesterday and it was okay, butI can still feel my hip.  Reluctantly, I think I may take a couple of days off actually.  I do have a parkrun on Saturday which I am Tail Runner for, but that will be more or less a walk as the last finisher tends to take around 45-50mins.  

Shades, I didn't answer your last question but the hip feels okay in the morning and I can walk around fine.  When I'm running though there is a twinge.  It's annoying as it had more or less cleared up, but it's come back again so I think I probably need to rest it a bit.  When I do get it whilst out running, it does impact my form and I don't really want that on the marathon.  I may take a couple of ibuprofen on the day, but we'll see what it's like nearer the time.

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the kind words...actually didn't mean to write that much image

MF - As for what's next I have a 10k next weekend, but then starting ultra training.

Louey - Yes I have 2 ultras, a 50k in July and a 48m in August. No time goals though, just going to get around and enjoy the scenery. Bournemouth was good, not as good as Brighton though. There is a hill around mile 17 that some people found tough, it was tough but didn't slow me down too much. The other tough thing was that you pass the finish line after about 15 miles on the other side of the road which was strange. Smaller in numbers to Brighton too.

SK - Thanks, yes next time I'll be pushing for a much tougher time, no sand bagging here image I think running more than one marathon makes you a more confident runner, well it has me! I'll be targetting 3:15 in Berlin if training goes well. Hope the ITB is behaving itself.

Mowzer - That's a great sub 4. You seem to run very impressively without much recovery in between!!

Shades - Thank you, main reason for controlling pace in first half was to avoid blowing up at 20 miles! I find it a confidence booster passing people in the last few miles image

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭

Ah yes, also very excited about London. Iain please let us know your number!

Having run Brighton I definately want to run London at some point!

• Options

Thanks all, scary isn't the word but very very excited. I'm more worried about making an absolute fool of myself knowing that everyone is wondering how I'm getting on but I do need to have more faith I think.

I probably won't bother with wearing anything more than shorts or vest, the cold really doesn't affect me much if at all but being too warm does which is why I'm really pleased with the forecast. Don't own any arm warmers, may investigate those though. I may take my light gloves just in case as they can always live in a pocket I suppose of needs be.

Big G - I'm not picking my number up unfortunately. I need to drop kids and dogs various places on Saturday before travelling up so sending the other half on ahead to get it for me in case I am delayed and can't make it in time for the expo. I'm really hoping I do but as trains are taking 4 hours lately instead of 3 I'd be cutting it fine so he's my plan A on this one!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

mamafox - I love my arm warmers too, I have 3 pairs now, my Skins ones are my favourite.

How's the knee/foot niggles?

Big G - that's annoying about your hip, but hopefully it might be one of those things that will go away by running your marathon.

Steve - your report wasn't too long, we love race reports on here.image

You're right to control your pace in the first half of the marathon, most runners that don't reach their target time is because they run too fast in the first half.   It's a great feeling to feel strong in the 2nd half and it keeps you focussed being able to catch and overtake other runners, not so nice for them but that's the way it goes.

I think the way you're going you should consider that a GFA place for London may well be within your reach, I don't know how old you are thoughimage

Jacky - you won't make a fool of yourself and we are not watching you to judge your race performance.   We just want you to get round safely and enjoy the experience.

Pilates was tough this morning, she does work us hard, good though.image

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I mentioned a while ago about measuring errors in Manchester and this was published recently. Doesn't impact 2016 results though, fortunately!

http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/investigations/manchestermarathon.htm
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

I've just seen this about the course measurement at Manchester.   I heard moaning about the course was measured long, but it turns out the course was short on previous years and 2016 was/is correct.

http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/investigations/manchestermarathon.htm

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

You beat me to it Big Gimage

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well, great to know I ran then hobbled the correct distance! My Garmin gave up just before the end, around 26 miles, so I was unable to tell if the course was too long or not. I was pretty much past caring by that point, anyway.

Shades - Hamburg is at the end of April.

Can anyone recommend an Autumn marathon for next year too? I know Bournemouth, Chester and Nottingham all happen then (and Berlin, actually) but I'm open to suggestions. I'd be after a well supported and flattish one.

I felt quite lazy but eventually got myself to the gym late morning and didn't some ham, glute and core stuff and a lot of stretching. Feel better now. I really neglected that in the run up to the marathon because, well, I was tired. I think that was a mistake.

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭

Cal - I looked into Amsterdam which is October as a replacement for Berlin if I wasn't successful in the ballot. Abingdon is also meant to be flat and fast.

Shades - I'd need 3:05 as a GFA for London and luckily I'll still be in that bracket for a few more years yet image I'll apply via the ballot for next year as you just never know!

I did a 2 mile recovery run on Monday afternoon (9:30 min/miles) as my legs felt like they needed loosening after the drive back. Then 4 miles (9:20s) this morning. Have a sports massage booked for this evening. I have definately recovered better after this marathon than my first as I couldn't walk downstairs properly for a good few days last year!! Will keep all runs at an easy pace next week until my 10k on Sunday.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, what do 100mc do about short courses? I see they've got a list of 'excluded courses' (the notes for some of them say they were short). Will the club do that retrospectively for Manchester? Also, not sure what it means for GFAs for London.
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Cal - Bilbao is flat and well organised and being a night marathon it's not too hot.
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Big G - re the Manchester short course, there's bound to be people running GFA or champ starts at London this year on the back of times from 2015. I've seen that on po10, it is now being marked as 'short course'.

Shades - still undecided re clothing for Sunday! I picked up my number yesterday and there are all kind of stipulations re size of logos and brand names on clothing so I have just measured the Nike swish on my compression socks. But may opt for capri length leggings now. I was planning on just a vest but may now wear a t-shirt underneath. I've never run with my arm warmers as they are a bit loose plus I wouldn't know what to do with them when I didn't need them.

Very excited to have two numbers and two chips!! (Did I already say that yesterday? I can't go back as will lose the post!)

Big G/Louey - ITB seems almost gone, thanks but am still going to get it taped tomorrow night as still feel the pain may come on late in the race. I have developed a bunion on my right foot which seems to have got larger and more sore this week. I think I'll need to see a podiatrist soon. Big G - is your hip niggle related to IT band do you think? The masseur guy I used reckons most hip niggles come from ITB and that massage can help (but I suppose he would say that!)

Carb loading started today - porridge and honey, lots of OJ, Welsh tea cakes, yoghurt, jacket potato, pasta salad. Any other recommendations?
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Steve - my number is 30910. I'm tempted to go for a last run tomorrow but I'll refrain as I know I'll push too hard and probably injure myself. Yesterday was a good run though so I'm happy with that..

SK - good luck with the carb loading. I must say I'm not missing it. People at the expo couldn't believe I wasn't going to do any form of Carb loading.. And that I was mad...
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Iain - I'm supposed to do 6 miles tomorrow and then 4 on Saturday. I may do 4 tomorrow and then none on Saturday as like to rest the day before I think. Are you having no carbs at all right now still? I've had 4 Soreen bar things today (on top of everything else) and feel a tad stuffed now!
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    SK - yup I'm still on low Carb. The only carbs I'll eat before Sunday is possibly a Jacket spud with soured cream with cheese and bacon pieces.. That bloated stuffed feeling Is part of the reason why I'm eating this way..
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Cal - your Garmin probably wouldn't have been accurate enough to know if the course was 400m out.   I think the complaints of the short course at Manchester were that the start/finish were in a different place this year, but of course it turns out that it was the previous years that were wrong.

April for Hamburg, that should be good running weather.

You're planning your marathons well in advanceimage.   Re autumn 2017 do you need a big city marathon, most marathons don't have massive crowd support.    Dublin is fast and good support for most of the course and easy to get to.

Steve - yes, you'll have to try the ballot as I expect GFA entries need to be in by July.

Your faster recovery is another sign of your improved fitness, will be interesting to see how you get on at your 10k.

Big G - If the course is unknowingly short then the 100MC will still count it.   But any future runs on that course would not be counted unless the organiser corrected the course length,   The courses mentioned on the 100MC website are mostly LDWA type events so the organisers are not bothered if they are exact.

Re GFA I don't know what they'd do, maybe pro rata the finisher's time to see if they still fall within the required times.   You don't need to run a marathon to get an entry into London, if you run a fast enough half marathon you can get an entry.

SK - how exciting, 2 numbers, well you are quite rightly with the elite, hence the logo/advertising instructions.   You can always put tape over your Nike swooshimage.

Don't think the arm warmers will be much good if they are loose on you, you'd be like Nora Batty with her wrinkled stockingsimage.   I have a friend you cuts the sleeves off a tight fitting long sleeved t-shirt and wears them, after 4 or 5 miles if he's warm enough, he peels them off and throws them away.

Did you have a bunion before?

Enjoy the eating, it's not easy is it.   Swiss roll is fairly low on fat and quite light to eat.

Iain - I bet you don't miss the carbo loading.   Will be very interesting to see how you get on, what will you have for your pre race breakfast?

Thanks for your race number.

Much milder this morning, had a really good run in the rain which was pleasant, not heavy and no wind.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

SK, yes I think it could be ITB related, but I'm not sure.  I am still foamrollering, and I've also recently started using a ball to massage the area in the hip where it's hurting.

Like you say, there are lots of people who are using Manchester's time for GFA and nothing can be done for this year, but do GFA times last two years?  I wonder if London are considering options, especially as there are rumours circulating that the times are being looked at again (possibly due to too many people hitting the times?).  I haven't seen anything official at all though.

Shades, I hadn't realised that about 100MC, but thinking about it I suppose that is the fairest way to do it, as after all it's not the fault of the runners.  But, to me, a time goal (like GFA) seems different somehow.

We'll see what happens, but after all this trouble (short course and baggage issues) I don't think I'll be adding Manchester to any list of races to do.  I saw a post on here somewhere where a runner did something like 3:00 at Manchester, but now on their PowerOf10 their official PB is back up to 4hrs+.  Nightmare!

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Big_G - I got my GFA from my Chester marathon time in 2014. I think it's 18 mnths.

Shades - Not sure about race morning breakfast. Might be scrambled eggs with bacon and a slice of toast with butter..
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Big G - well hopefully those that obtained a GFA time at Manchester last year or the year before, already have taken up a place in this year's London.  For this year's London you would need to run the required time since 1st Jan 2014.   For those who haven't taken up a GFA place from their 2015 time but plan to do so for 2017 then  they may have to go out and get another GFA time, however they'll only have until early July so a few runners may be caught out there.

But the GFA entry system may make allowances for Manchester times for 2015, who knows.

In the 100 MC if we finish a marathon and realise at the time that the course could be short then we will continue to run until we think we have a required distance.

This is not the first time there have been problems with course measurement, Steve Cram organised a marathon in Sunderland in 2013 and it's not happened again as all but the winner ran a short course http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-22488193

This problem is more likely to happen when event companies organise races as they are often not runners and don't realise the importance of following the exact route.   I'm sure in Steve Cram's case he was at the mercy of an event company.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Iain - that's a good pre race breakfastimage

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see what they do about the GFA times and Manchester. There was a guy on the radio earlier who had deferred his GFA place for London to next year and wasn't sure it would still hold. But I would have thought that would be OK. I think when Brighton HM course was too short they added a bit on to people's times which seems fairer. And yes, GFA times last 2 years.

Shades - I'll be a long way from the elites! I think the champs start line up 10m or so behind the elite men and considering I only just scraped in, I'll place myself right at the back of the pen. A bit scared of being trampled over by the runners in the mass start pen behind who'll all be speedy sub 3-ers.

I think bunion might have been forming for a while, probably caused by pronating but I know they are also hereditary and my mum has something similar.

Last (I think) run done earlier, 5 miles with some strides. Went OK, tried out the foot powder I got at the expo (??13!!!) and my feet felt quite dry after so will probably use on Sunday. 222g of carbs so far! Loving the Welsh tea cakes.
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    SK - What start are you in?
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Blue champs Iain, are you FGFA?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Great weather again today and legs felt fine so thought I'd get a longish run in as an extra as didn't think I would be up to it until next week.

Managed 12 miles comfortably,I tried to to slow and comfortable and not look at my watch but it ended up 23 seconds per mile quicker than my usual long run pace.

Plans are to do 16 next weekend then 20,then 14,10 and race again.

Hope all those doing London have a great race,get the times you want but most of all enjoy it.
  • Options

All the very best to SK, Iain, Jackygirl and Topsec for London. Enjoy your day and have a great race image I am a little envious...hopefully next year I will get in on the ballot and my Achilles will be better! Wishful thinking. I am considering donating my fee and having a chance of 1000 (?) more places.

Shades I ran that doomed Sunderland marathon in 2013. It was bleak, so many out and backs, they were packing away before I finished and I had to ask some other runners the way to the finish! I was so relieved to finish and then found out it was undermeasured or rather we all went wrong. I do say I have run 5 marathons but deep down I know it wasn't quite marathon distance!

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

SK - You haven't mentioned those caramel waffles that normally have me drooling! Well done on getting that last run done and successfully completing your training programme inspite of your ITB worries.

I have noted London numbers (apart from Jacky.. not sure if I missed that) and am looking forward to following and supporting you. Last year I ended up listening to commentary from some obscure radio station over tinternet but this year I am hoping to watch it. Some english neighbours are selling up their holiday home and going back to GB and we are inheriting their aerial/livebox thing. Mr Fox has not got round to connecting it all up (i have absolutely no clue what to do there) but hopefully it will be up and running for Sunday so I can actually watch the marathon live this year image

My knee is fine but pesky foot/ankle playing up again. Hurts to walk etc. Have made appt with Chinese dr for 9th May and just resting in meantime, on prayer mat a bit more rest will sort bloody thing out image