Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Lily - well done on your parkrun PBimage

Sorry can't help re the sports watch, I love my Garmin and wouldn't consider anything else, on my 3rd now.

Have already got our runners set up on the VLM tracker.image

• Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

Love the outfit Iain! Great socks. 

Good luck to all the Shadies running London today. It's dry and sunny now in London, hopefully it will stay that way.

I want to go out for a shortish run this morning but don't want to miss the coverage. I've got to take the kids to their swimming lesson in a while so will miss the start.

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

No idea about fitbits Lily (not that sure what they are actually image)

Great photo Iain!

You've picked a good day to have a rest day Shades, enjoy watching the marathon, try not to get too tired/stressed!

We are missing a poxy wire so can't have brit tv image Have all runners on tracker and will find radio coverage somehow. Good luck Shadies!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

mamafox - shame about the missing wire, won't a coat hanger do?image

The tracker looks good.

Am rushing around doing a token amount of housework as I suspect that's all I'll get done todayimage

• Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking that SK starts at 9.15??

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Louey, I think SK will start towards the front of the masses, behind the elite men.

I hope I'm right in saying that, anyway!  Apologies if I'm incorrect.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, just letting you know HA went under 3hrs for the first time. Apparently she's the first female Trotter to do so.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Iain and Slowkoala, brilliant running, we look forward to the race reports.

Big G - - I had just checked HA's result as I saw her at Taunton, she ran the half, so I guessed she might be going for sub 3 today, she is a great runner.

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Just a quick pop in so day I had an amazing race with an unofficial time of 2:56:45 so a PB of 2 min.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Iain - fantastic running and congrats on your well deserved PB.image   Results show 2:56:53image  

• Options
    Many congratulations to Iain and SK! Hope you enjoyed your race and recover well. I am still glued to the TV coverage!
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Shades - I didn't need a coat hanger in the end lol! - I managed to find live streaming on tinternet and have been glued to that. Really enjoyed watching the elites race it out and taking in the atmosphere which looks amazing. Brilliant running and a massive well done to Iain and SK imageimage Keep going Jacky!

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Well done to SK fantastic time...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

mamafox - great you could find live streaming to watch.

Jacky has finished and done a great time.

The TV coverage has been really good this year and made even more interesting to watch the race between the Brits to get a place at Rio.

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Well done Jacky! image

• Options
    Congratulations Jacky image
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed the race, and tracking everyone on the website was really good too!

In terms of the elites, the men's winner really looked like he hadn't realised he was so close to the world record.  When he finished, it looked like he was a bit disappointed as although he'd won, I suppose if he'd known he less than 10 seconds away from the record he may have managed to squeeze out a little more?

The ladies was good too.  Getting up from a fall to go on to win the race was fantastic!

Well done all Shadies with some great performances image  

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

He looked as though he was running so easily, too.

It was interesting to watch the elites. They all seem to bounce along, lifting their heels really high behind. Then there was Dixon, the first GB woman home, who has a short, flat, slightly knock-kneed gait that looked a lot closer to the way I run. If she can run that fast with a stride like that, there's a bit of hope for me. image

Iain - good job on the sub-3! And well done everyone.

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Quick check in during bath soak so say a big thanks for all your support. Really pleased with 5 minute PB of 3:09:19 as sub 3:10 was my A goal. ITB grumbled from 16 miles which made me slow more than last year, probably should have gone with more supportive shoes.

Big well done to Iain (God knows what you would achieve with high millage and to Jacky. Wear those medals with pride.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭

Amazing day of running. Fantastic stuff from Iain, SK and Jacky was great tracking you all!

Watching the elites was great, superb running and so close to the WR!

Note to self - Enter ballot for London next year image

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Excellent result, not so Slow Koala. Especially considering the niggles. At least you weren't the poor bastard running as a lighthouse.

• Options
    Thanks all, on train home now, amazing day, slower than I wanted bit brilliant all the same. Full race report to come but so pleased and my huge thanks to Shades for the plan.
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

Absolutely fantastic running Shadies!! Loved tracking you all, although I gave up on the app as it wasn't updating properly. Thank god the website was working. I was willing you all on in the last few miles.

Iain - amazing splits and I know you were after a sub-3 but you absolutely smashed it!!! 

SK - fantastic running, and you got that sub 3hr 10 you wanted. Very pleased the ITB didn't hinder you too much. What was it like being on the championship start? I had Kelly Holmes on the tracker as well and you were beating her all the way round image

Jacky - you ran a fantastic race, that's a such a long time to be out on your feet. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. London is so busy that it can be difficult to find your pace. 

Watched the elites, amazing that the winning woman fell over and still managed to finish. I was surprised the winning man wasn't more aware of the time. Don't they have  car with the time on it in front of the leaders? he didn't have a watch on but he was so close to the WR.

Just been out for 5 mile tempo run, my legs are back in business. 

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

What can I say about VLM. Well as expected The organisation was top notch and the spectators were off the charts...

I woke up this morning nervous as hell, had some breakfast and got ready and headed to the start. I did a few warm up strides and stretches and lined up to be counted down by the one and only Tim Peaks aboard the ISS. Which was epic.

I quickly got into a comfortable pace and found my rhythm fairly quickly. The pace felt a little faster then I wanted but I thought "I've started this fast I might as well carry on as far as I can" Most of the time I was on my own which helped me concentrate on my race although I kept hearing the odd comment about my fantastic pink socks.

I crossed Tower bridge and could see the half way point. I crossed halfway in 1:25:07 (which is exactly the same time as my half PB). I guess out of habit, I grabbed a gel at 14 miles but hung onto it, toying with the idea of actually using it. As we were approaching the 16 mile mark, the F***ing Idiot of a man that was directly in front of me, decided to stop dead and talk to someone forcing me to run into the back of him, hitting my head on his. I uttered a few obscenities and continued, Thats when I took the gel, and OMG it was soooo sweet it made me feel sick. 

As i was approaching the point where we head back into central London, I got the most annoying cramp in my foot, making me stop and try stretch it out and after the crowd egging me on I managed to release it and continue.. the miles seemed to pass slowly but when I could see Big Ben in the distance, i knew there wasn't far to go so I lifted my head and pushed myself home through gritted teeth.

Once i had cleared the runners enclosure i saw my OH with the biggest smile on her face and she nearly knocked me flying as she seemed more excited about the PB than me...All in all, a good days running by everyone.

On a side note, I think the low carb diet has worked and after a few days of normal food, I'll continue with that way of eating. best part is the recovery as my legs have already eased..should manage a recovery run tomorrow...

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Superb running today guys,very well done to you all and congratulations.

Unfortunately I couldn't track anyone as I tend to work sundays when I'm not racing.

Will be entering the ballot on the very odd chance I get lucky.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

SK- you did so well making your target time of sub 3:10.  That pesky ITB can be the sort of thing that makes a race really difficult as there's always the worry that it may start to hurt, but you dealt with it so well, can't have been easy.

Jacky - well done again.   You did a really good time for your first marathon and it seems you might have enjoyed it!.   We look forward to your report.

Louey - good to know your legs are back to normal now.   Any news on your chosen autumn marathon?

Iain - great report and you certainly nailed it.   Your eating regime obviously suits you.

Ian5/Steve - I think the London ballot is only open for a few days so don't forget to enter! 

Lovely morning, had a great run, think my legs appreciated the rest day yesterday.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

The List

10th April -Manchester
    Ian5 - 6817 - completedimage
    Cal - 8014 - completedimage
    System J - 10181 - completedimage

17th April - Brighton
    Louey - completedimage
    Steve -completedimage
    Catalin - completedimage

17th April - Great Welsh
    Shades -completedimage

24th April - London
    Slowkoala - 221 - completedimage
    Iain - 30910 - completedimage
    Jackygirl - 9264 - completedimage
    TopSec

30th April - Plym Trail
    Big G

1st May - North Dorset
    mowzer
    Shades

21st May - White Peak
    KingKenny

29th May - Liverpool
    Ian5
    KingKenny

22nd October - Bilbao
    Jugula

Please add/edit as required.   Apologies if I've made any errors or omissionsimage

Not sure if TopSec ran yesterday?

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Well done again Iain, I enjoyed reading that report.

SK - All credit to you that you managed that awesome time in spite of having ITB pain!!! That must have been so worrying when it started, knowing you still had a fair way to go.

Jacky - Looking forward to hearing how you got on.

I think I would like to apply for my GFA place next year. I didn't last year as I wasn't sure about finances etc.. in fact I'm still not(!).. but it's a race I would love to do as it sounds a great experience. I'll have a look at the website to see how to apply for a GFA place but does anyone know if you have to be a UK resident to be accepted?

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Mamafox - unfortunately GFA entries are for UK residents only
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭