Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Cal, I agree about the club runs.  I know I've said it on here before, but I'm convinced that in my club only the very fastest are catered for.  I.E., they go out and run 20-miles at 7:30-8min/miles, which is fine for them if they're sub-3 runners.  However, in that group you have a load of people who have a lot slower marathon times than that, so that's too quick for them for a long run.  And it's the same in the other groups; I.E., one group may go out at 9min/miles for say 10-miles, but that's MP for a 4hr marathon, yet many people in that group can't do a Half in 2hrs, so it's much too quick for them.  I very rarely go out on club runs now and just do my own thing for long runs.  I do much prefer running in company, but as Shades said the correct pace is really an individual thing.  It can work if the group loops back regularly (which in fairness my club always does, so no one gets left behind) but if you're at the back of the group you still run a lot of it on your own anyway.  Also, it's complicated by the fact that not everyone is actually training for a marathon of course.

I did do a run, but just 4-miles as I felt a twinge in my leg again so didn't want to push it; still it was 52 miles this week, which isn't bad.  Then I went to the cinema to watch Trainspotting, with was really good and definitely worth a watch if you liked the first film.  Rest day tomorrow.

• Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Double yoga yesterday bikram followed by slow. I can't get on with club running, I would run there then wait around while people talked for 20 minutes then run and I thought of i'd just carried on by myself I'd be nearly home by now! Not that I didn't like the people, I just like to get out and on with it not talk crap about policies etc etc.

Anyway I'm in Lanzarote now, booked months prior to redundancy, I plan quite a bit of running as well as walking here, if circumstances permit I'd like to come back in December for the marathon, however I will need to get some work to pay for it and also be able to get the time off. No point worrying about that now, I'm here to enjoy some winter sun.
  • Options

Enjoy Lanzarote, Jugula - sounds like you need it.

Interesting thoughts, Big G. Sorry your leg doesn't feel so good but well done on the mileage.

Guess this'll be my last post until they get the forums sorted out. Rest day tomorrow regardless. See you on the other side.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Big G - I agree with what you've said re group long runs, and it reflects in the marathon results.   But when running with a group you don't want to hold anyone else up and it's easy to say the pace is OK when in reality you know it's too fast.   As you say only the very fastest runners benefit from group long runs as they are able to stick to their scheduled pace.

Is that the same twinge as before?

Jugula - have a lovely time in the sunshine, you've earned that holiday.

Cal - let's hope the RW switch goes well, I don't have that much confidence in RW's IT, I hope I'm wrong.   I don't think the new site will be working until the end of the week.

Lovely and mild this morning, good running weather.   Legs slightly tired after yesterday's hills, the downhills as much as the uphills I think.   No cyclists on the pavements todayimage all on the road.

Over the weekend I updated my geeky shoe mileage record and as I've had a couple of knee niggles lately decided to cull my oldest shoes, plus one pair I just don't care to run in.   That was nine pairs now ready for the recycling bin and there's now space in my wardrobe where I keep my running shoes so I'm shoe shoppingimage.  One, maybe two new pairs to be ordered this week, I think one will be Saucony Guides, been on my wish list for a while and the other will either be Mizuno Enigma or Saucony Triumph ISO, decisions, decisions.......image

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

My account on this current site hasn't been correct for ages.  If I update my email address or pic (for example), it doesn't work and has on occasion then changed my screen name to "Big G 2" or similar.  It's why I have to have the "_" in my name and I tried to get it resolved, but no joy.  I also don't get the RW emails, as my email address on here is no longer valid but I can't change it successfully.....  Hopefully the new site will be better, but we'll have to see.

Regarding jobs and doing things we enjoy etc, I got sent this the other day.  I thought it was quite a good read so thought I'd post it here as I know we've been talking about jobs etc (warning, there is some swearing in it).  My problem is that a lot of his questions can be answered by "well, I'd go for a run or a walk, followed by eating cake", but I'm fairly sure I can't make a living doing thatimage   And probably "He liked to run and eat cake" wouldn't look good on my gravestone...  ;) 

https://markmanson.net/life-purpose

In that widowed group I'm a member of there are an unusually large amount of people who have quit their jobs without anything else to go to, but they're looking for new things to do that interest them.  They have this attitude of "well, what's the worst that can happen?  Oh yeah, it already has!" (some of them have had insurance payouts etc which help with those decisions about quitting a job, but by no means all).  The lady who sent me that link had a very well paid job working in pharmaceuticals but she hated it (from a moral standpoint I think), so she quit and is now training to be a vet nurse, primarily because she loves animals.  

As for me, I'm quite happy doing what I'm doing; running, reading, a bit of writing, seeing friends, travelling etc, but I suppose at some point I'll have to have a proper think about what I'd like to do longer term.  Also, I think there is this expectation that I should be "doing something" from some people (not that that bothers me).  Often, when people ask me "what do you do all day?" and I tell them, they can't quite understand and they don't seem to believe me when I say I'm happy doing what I'm doing for now.

My main issue is that for most days I don't talk to too many people.  Now, I don't really mind that, but one advantage of some kind of job is the social side (as long as I get on with the colleagues, of course!).  We'll see what happens - and maybe nothing will happen - but a recent change in me is that I'm at least interested in having a look around at what may be out there, whereas this time last year I had no interest at all.

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Jugula - Enjoy that warm weather training!

Cal - You run in some interesting places. That would be a fantastic sightseeing tour for me. The other morning I ran for 1hr 20mins before I saw anyone (a car passed me) Admittedly I left at 5am but I wasn't in the forest or anything and passed through a couple of villages. Normally I see a few drivers so was actually starting to consider a Marie Celeste style incident in my area.

Lol at your shoe replacement plans Shades. I can't believe you've got so many. I've got two pairs I rotate and then two older one I use for dog walking/Step. Do you try the new ones on in a shoe shop before you order them or have you just got a good idea what fits you?

You're right about hounds being big dogs. A couple of years ago I was bringing my mother back from the airport and came across a stray hound. Managed to shove him into the car.. the Renault 5(!) and he leapt around and bayed his head off until we got home. Mum was a bit dishevelled when she got out of the car and muttering things about my love of dogs image

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Xpost there Big G. From what I've read you seem to have made the most of and enjoyed your time off work. It's good that you are able to take the time now to consider what you'd maybe like to do.

I've had a quick look at that link but will read it properly later. I haven't got time now as need to get ready to go to a job that I don't particularly enjoy... image

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I forgot to answer your question. Before Xmas I had a 3 or 4 days off as I hurt my right leg, and this feels the same. At the time I put it down to the P&D sessions, so I stopped that plan. It still feels suspicious that after my 10x45sec interval session on Friday it feels a bit tender, so I just cut the run short yesterday. Rest day today and I'll see how it is tomorrow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    First post for me on new website>:)
  • Options
    Hi Shades! Took me a while to find this, why can't we order the threads by those with the most recent comments in as before? Are we moving here now then?!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - I'm still posting on old site and think I'll continue to do so until evicted.   I'm trying to be positive but not impressed so far, have lost all my followed threads so will have to go back and bookmark them.   The Emojis don't work, have we lost the edit button too?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Is there somewhere you can go to first unread post like on the old site?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I don't know.   You've got a picture now, did you do that?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    No,looks like a random one they generate,need to fix that as it looks a bit weird
  • Options
    Hellooooooo.. not sure about this.. took me ages to find the thread too. Will keep posting on old site until I haven't got a choice(!)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - ha, ha, I think you'd better find a photo or something else as your avatar, if that's what RW think represents you!
    mamafox - you can bookmark this thread
  • Options
    Hmm I'm not sure about this font.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
     I think RW may have pulled the plug on the old forum, so here is my last posting from there

mamafox - is that Bordeaux marathon a new event for you?

I think you can choose whether to have emails from RW.   At the moment I've got emails enabled but I haven't had one on Marathon Talk, don't think RW are very efficient in the IT department

have you booked your blood test yet?

Cal - the thought of you chasing the mice around your flat with a cleaver, probably causes a bit of damage to your flat too.   Not sure I could drown them but I'm sure if I was bothered by the little blighters I'd probably get over that.

That was a quick decision re your Garmin, I remember you saying before that yours had a fairly short battery life, mine has a 10 hour battery, also recharges a lot more quickly than my previous one.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, it looks like the old forum is no more.

Shades, your profile image, and everyone else's, is similar to Ian's at the moment (for me, anyway)....

Cal, for some reason when I think of you and your cleaver I conjure up an image of horror movie, in a setting such as The Shining.....  

I am leading the Trotters 5-6 mile social group this evening.  I was really tempted to go out for a 5-miler this morning too, but I decided not to as I had wondered if the couple of double session I did the other week contributed to my leg issue.  Anyway, I have my route planned so looking forward to this evening.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Profile images have come back now, it seems.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I see my avatar as the usual pair of shades, and yours is your usual too.   I can't get the Emojis to work though :/

Yes, I had the same vision of Cal wielding that cleaver

Maybe try a double later in the week if your leg is still OK?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emoji works now:)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    No it doesn't, I think I know why, let's try again:/
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    No I don't know why...any ideas?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
  • Options