Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure about the device on the back, but yes all the 3 main runners had that tape.  They had a section in the coverage where they also said the tape was cooling in some way.
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Morning Shades, I'm good thanks, still shaking off the last of the cold, not run since Sunday and my legs are feeling better for the rest, I'm planning a gentle 10 tomorrow then massage Monday. I'm looking for a half in the summer to keep me focused.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Jugula - good to hear you're feeling better and looking for another race to do.

Big G -  I wonder how it's cooling but I can understand why they would want to use it as I suppose the nearest to some sort of compression on the legs.

The running kit Kipchoge wore was nice and stylish, but I think the tracksuits lack style and look so boring and dull.

Respect to the 2nd finisher who didn't drop out, he's hurting now can hardly walk

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think we just witnessed history :)

Now you know why he's my favourite elite marathon runner.

They're off to be drug tested now
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Shades, yeah it was a good event.  Even when it looked like he wasn't going to do it, it was still good.

I thought the commentator towards the end of the event (was it a race?) made a good point about Kipchoge - he is a racer and a competitor, but he still remained competitive in what was essentially a time trial.  I agree history has been made and it shows that the 2hr barrier is there to be broken in the right circumstances.  To knock that amount off the WR time is amazing.

Maybe race organisers will take some of this into an "official" event.  An early start time that suits the elites, in cool, non-humid conditions on a flat, non-twisty course, would count for a lot I think. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how much Berlin will offer Kipchoge now!    I think it can be done in a race, with a lot of favourable conditions on the day.   Now that they know it's possible to run that fast they will go for it, there will be carnage on the way for some.

I see they've rounded the time down to 2:00:24
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Some of the comments on the feed from people viewing it were funny.  "These guys are doing a marathon in about 2hrs.  It sometimes take me that long to decide to get out of bed".  

It's strange to think that a second/mile quicker and he'd have done it.

I wonder how much he got paid for this event too.  In his interview with Paula at the end, he said he'd been focussing on this for 7 months, and obviously missed London at the very least.  The organisers said they've been preparing for it for 2 years, so presumably he's been involved for a lot longer than 7 months too.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    After all that excitement, I went and did a parkrun this morning.  1.5 mile there, parkrun and then 1.5 mile back.  I did it in 20:59 on my watch, so very happy with that regardless of what the official time is as earlier this week I'd have been very happy with 27mins or something!  I felt pretty strong all the way around and got in with a couple of people who were slightly faster than me but kept me going, which was great for me.  The course this week was two miles on tarmac and one on grass and although dry, the grass/terrain still slows me down, so I'm happy with that effort.

I wonder if there will be a surge in sales of Nike shoes this week?!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it was quite tiring watching it.   Well he missed London so maybe half a million $ or more, I expect there will be rumours.    It was good to hear that when he goes home he does the cooking and cleans the bathroom, what a man!

Brilliant running at your parkrun, you've got your energy back. :)    So maybe you'll do that 10k tomorrow after all.

After seeing Kipchoge looking so good in a red vest, I've decided to get one of my own (actually I'd decided this yesterday) so I've just mailed to ask if I can join the Mavericks :)
  • Options
    Shades - lol previous one wasn't slim but wasn't fat either ;)

Just been shopping with car as i have odd aches in leg muscles this morning... Was going to bike 20 miles to Tesco to get prescription and eat something whilst they processed it then another 15 or so miles to parcel office to get my fetch hoodie. Still i'll go out for a smallish bike ride between football later and see how it feels. Doubtful it'll bother me cycling.

Despite only shopping for some things i er spent £50 but do have a full cupboard now ;) THe cat accounted for half the spending stocking up on reduced price flea stuff and more food and cat litter. Neither of those are easy to bring from a shop on a bike ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, interesting for you to run with Mavericks -  are you planning on training with them?  Believe it or not, out of all those people at the London Expo, I bumped into Tarquin there and we had a nice chat for a few minutes.  He's not running too well compared to his own very good standards - I think he's busy at work etc.  I was there at the Expo on my own, as was he, so it was nice to see someone I knew.

I do like the Mavericks colours, but I don't overly like the sponsorship/labels on the kit.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - that cat isn't cheap, but I'm sure she's worth it.

Big G - no, not planning to train with them at all.  I prefer to train in the morning on my own.  Re the sponsor, it's a window company isn't it?   That doesn't bother me at all, could be a lot worse.

When I watched Manchester marathon on YouTube Tarquin walked into the picture when greeting his team member over the finish line.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I think they're using the same kind of tape as Galen Rupp wears, which is called AeroSwift tape which is supposed to reduce wind resistance rather than support anything. Something else Nike is behind, btw. I would have thought something like that would be more useful in a sprint, where a hundredth of a second matters, rather than a marathon which takes place over several hours. Eh well.

I did do parkrun. I had a mile warm-up (including some drills) and did a good bit of rolling and mobilising before I went out. Butt still hurt but I think it's going to do that for a good long while yet. I got around in 27 minutes (dead according to my watch). I guess my official time will be a second or two slower. I'd like to get back under 27 (and well, preferably under 26, but I only did that once at parkrun and once on a track) but since the hammy tendon is effectively stopping me from doing speedwork, that'll take a while.

Well done on a much faster parkrun than me, Big G.

How the hell do you carry a sack of cat litter on a bike, Keith? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I believe it's a window company of one of the members (also a former Trotter).

Cal, thanks, and well done on your parkrun time too.  As you say, you've got a niggle at the moment but once that's sorted you'll be back pushing for that 26mins again I'm sure.

Just debating whether to go the cinema this afternoon or not - there's not a lot on for me, although I did see a film called "Their Finest" in the week, which I did enjoy.  I'm a member of a local cinema - it costs £10 for membership for a year, and then I get £2.50 off entry prices, so I see a film for £4.50 which is pretty good value really.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - yes, you're right, I've just looked up that AeroSwift tape, I think sales of that will rocket now.   I notice Kipchoge didn't wear the tape on his arms as some runners do but opted for arm warmers.

That's a good parkrun result for you too today.

Big G - just heard from Tarquin, looks like I'm going to be a Maverick :)

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    I was quite cynical initially about the whole breaking2 attempt but have to say I thought it was really well done and I really enjoyed it! I watched most of the first half but then went to sleep and watched again just have he'd finished. I think given that 2 of the 3 didn't get to halfway at that pace shows that the time is more down to Kipchoge and the multiple pacers than all the gear that has been plugged. I liked the fact that the coverage spent a lot of time talking about the runners rather than the gear, I was pleasantly surprised. I have to agree with Shades, Kipchoge is a star.

Managed to get 2 kids and hungover OH to parkrun. Ran with little one who tried to go as fast as his brother in first mile (7:00) and then slowed to about 7:45 in 2nd two miles! But I think my 15 yo may have got a PB.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK/Shades, LetsRun agree with your assessments too.  Basically, they were fairly sceptical of Nike beforehand but have said that this type of event is something they could get behind on a legit course (i.e., I am inferring from this article that if it was downhill or wind assisted, they probably wouldn't get behind it).   

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2017/05/breaking2-falls-short-eliud-kipchoge-runs-astonishing-20025-marathon-distance/

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - there's a lot of parkrun PB's in your family, but I guess not today for OH with a hangover :D

I've admired Kipchoge for a long time, that LetsRun article is very good and they say the success of the attempt was all down to Kipchoge not the kit!    I'd like to see his training plan :)

I've been faffing all morning and sorting out race kit for tomorrow and I found a pair of gloves that I've spent the last 6 months looking for.   I don't think I need them for tomorrow but they are my favourite running gloves and haven't been able to get another pair (they were from Lidl's), I even cleaned out the whole car looking for them and had assumed I'd left them at a race.   Vest tomorrow, temp up to 16 degrees B)

Big G - I started watching the Elite Race at VLM last night and when the visually impaired runners set off the commentator said that in a championship event such as VLM the guide is expected to be 25% faster than the runners so that if the runner has a brilliant run the guide can cope with that and also if the guide has a bad run he should still be able to run at the runner's speed, thought that was an interesting fact.

Right signing off now and will head for Wales in a while... £6.70 toll on the bridge now :o
  • Options
    Cal - With difficulty ;) One handed is the answer and i have only done it once. Hence buying it often whenever i shop with car so there are usually sveral bags scattered around the house or in boot of car. Shopping is les difficult provided it fits in my rucksack
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ooh, my parkrun time came in at 26:58 - result!
    75 minutes of Yin yoga clocked just now. We did a lot of hip openers today, which I really need, including a series of dragons (Shades will appreciate that!)

Got to agree that an amazing runner + perfect conditions will make the run, rather than funny shoes and bits of tape. (I'm not a fan of those shoes, they look clunky to me. Even if they are light).

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Is that a PB, Cal? Well done on the yoga + parkrun.

Big G - this is another link about Breaking 2, but reckons the car was a bigger advantage than the pacers:
    http://sportsscientists.com/2017/05/eliud-kipchoge-20025/

Parkrun PB by 30s for middle son, 21:28. OH almost got one, but only because I wore his barcode wristband by mistake instead of mine! Luckily they emailed us and then amended.

Shades - good luck in Wales!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK, a good article there.  When I turned on the coverage, the camera angle basically showed the car and the "wind break", and I couldn't see the runners so I initially thought it was going to be a bit rubbish, in terms of the coverage, but the camera angle changed fortunately!

Cal, my parkrun time was confirmed too, so I'm happy with that.  I've got this offroad 10K tomorrow which I'm planning on doing as long as the weather stays okay.  It won't be a hard effort though.

Shades, good luck in Wales :)  
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Just zooling in to wish Shades good luck for your marathon tomorrow!
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    zooming even  :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yup, good luck Shades! I hope your calves and groin behave.
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Good luck today Shades and anyone else running.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Bloody awful run today. I was supposed to go out and do 16-20 miles but I did 4 (my usual minimum) and I had to talk myself into not stopping earlier. The injury was niggling, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that my legs felt like I had lead boots on. I just had nothing in me today, despite plenty of carbs yesterday and a good night's sleep.
    I will aim for a long run next weekend instead, which should still give me a two week taper. Having said that, I haven't ruled out canning Liverpool if I have to. I don't want to as I've paid for the train and a hotel, but I may not get a choice. I'm seeing my masseur tomorrow and hopefully he can do something to alleviate the problem.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Very speedy parkrun there,sub 21 was my target this year so may give it a go in the summer.
    Cal-Well done on you parkrun and hope you have a better long run next week,can you fit it in in the middle of the week,to give yourself a bit longer taper?
    SK-Speedy family parkrun for you.
    Had a long day yesterday as Tranmere won so we are off to Wembley next weekend to see if we get promoted.We're going down afor 2 nights so staying on the saturday,i've persuaded my friends that leaving in the afternoon is better,means I can get a long run in before we go  :D
    Hilly run for me today,tough one as it came out at 70ft per mile so 6 hard miles so I was very surprised to see it came out quicker than my HM pb,so really happy with that.
    Good luck to Shades today
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian - yeah, I could - I generally avoid it though due to having to cross roads. Even on a Sunday the roads are busy but during weekdays, well... On a long run, I'm out long enough that even if I start early, I will eventually end up running during rush hour. But yeah I could.
    Excellent job on the hilly run. The training seems to be going well for you.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, fingers crossed the massage helps.  Annoying about Liverpool trains/hotels etc, but let's hope you get to the start line in good shape.

Ian, good training by you and good luck to Tranmere!

I did the 10K offroad race today, although it was actually only 5.6 miles as they had to change the course as it was too rutted to cross the usual motocross course!  530ft of ascent....ooooph!  Anyway, I got around it in 48:31 on my watch, so happy enough with that.  

It was well organised but the terrain, although dry, was tough going for about 2/3 of it (the rest was on gravelly roads).  Rutted paths, farmland, narrow single-file paths, overhanging branches, going through gates etc.  I'm glad I wore my trail shoes, which haven't had an outing for months!  A good event and a decent goodie bag for such a low-priced race.  I think I paid £11 and got a medal, Crunchie, Creme Egg (sorry Keith), packet of Trebor mints, a packet of Jelly Babies and water (plus, randomly, a packet of pencils and a postit notepad).  Can't complain at that really.  Again, it's another one I may put forward for the Club Champs next year.  Shades, a load of Mavericks were there as they were using the event as an excuse to meet up and go for a meal/drink afterwards.  :)