Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Run was ok, icing leg now as feels a little sore. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - the mornings are lovely at the moment, getting so much lighter and lots of birds singing. 

Cal - I just Dr Googled the gracilis muscle, similar area to my niggle but it's not the one causing me any discomfort.   But you're right we do use that a lot in Pilates stretches for hip rotation.
    Hope you're not getting a post marathon virus/cold....you should have got out on Monday morning for that recovery run 
    ;) 

On a separate note to the group, whats everyone's take on listening to music/podcast's for the actual marathon?

Typically I always take my headphones on my long training runs but I run the race's without. This year I was considering adopting my podcast/music split to help me stay focused during the marathon and not dwell on the distance to go. Large chunks of Brighton are very quiet, plus I know the course well enough now so I know whats coming up next. In a dilemma..?  :/
    OTB - don't run your race with music, why spoil the day.   Running with headphones turns you into a socially inept zombie, the day is to be enjoyed and part of that is talking to other runners, so when you're on a quieter part of the course and in the latter miles when it gets a bit tough that's the time to engage with other runners that are going through the same thing.   Obviously ignore the muppets with headphones, they will be having their own miserable time.   I've met many of my friends in the last few miles of a marathon.   I never understand why anyone would want to miss out on the race atmosphere.   Real runners don't use headphones in a race.   We also require you to remember as much of the race as you can and do a little race report for us ;)

The only time I run with music is if I'm doing a 12 or 24 hour event on a track, sometimes I put my headphones on if I can't get rid of another runner and they're annoying me with boring monologues or one that sings hymns!

Ian - a good day for you, the start of many more I hope without that post run discomfort.

Jelly - I hope that means your leg is healing.   But maybe Tavy 13 might be a bit much?

If you don't have a lot of spare time I think a gym membership is wasted especially at this time of year.   You'll soon be back running to your usual schedule so stick with your exercises and maybe think about the gym next winter.

Good decision to just focus on DD for now.

steven - glad that threatened cold went away, a touch of taper fever perhaps, but it's worth avoiding peeps coughing and sneezing if you can, especially so close to your marathon.

Not enjoying my enforced rest, especially as I can't really feel the injury except when I'm running so I feel like a fraud.   Am planning a short test run tomorrow morning.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - a busy day for you, I've got my email from Easyjet too saying flights are out ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - a busy day for you, I've got my email from Easyjet too saying flights are out ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I've deleted the email, no more money in my budget until 2019
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades - Lol at you immediately deleting that mail because of your budget.. does that mean no more shoes either for this year?! Hope that niggle clears up for you by this weekend. Your race planning in advance is impressive - planned pre race chip shop made me grin  :)
    No, OH was not been punished with the BM. In fairness he has been trying his best to get the car on the road but he works full time, plus there is always something going wrong with the house, fencing etc etc etc. However, he did feel a bit guilty about forgetting to tell me about the dentist and I think that boosted him to spend the evening wrestling with the engine!

OTB - For my first marathon I did start off with my headphones as, like you; I thought that they would help to distract me during difficult bits. However, in fact, they turned out to have the opposite effect, actually stopping me focusing on getting through those difficult patches and I ended up ripping them off about half way round and never put them on since, even for long training runs. The atmosphere in a marathon is something special and you don't want anything spoiling that for you.

After 3 days off I finally got out for a run yesterday and got a good 24k done with a bit of tempo work. By tempo work I mean I just made myself push on up the hills I normally crawl up. Just off for my run round the wind farm now, was hoping the rain would ease off but it doesn't look like it will and if I wait any longer I'll eat and then won't feel like it..!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - I have enough shoes stockpiled to see me through all my training and racing for at least the next 12 months, if not more.    Running shoes would count as essential for me so I'd have to raid another budget if I needed more, but I'll be OK.

Glad you're feeling better and back out running, enjoy the rest of your school holidays
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB-I don't use mine in races,I did when I first started running but actually find I race better without them,I'm not a big talker in races but find I concentrate more on my breathing and form when I don't have them,but I do use them for most training runs,but only with 1 ear in so I can hear cars and people around me.
    Got my easyjet email and Gran Canaria is now booked £61 return  :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's a very good price for GC flight.   I'd better go and hide my credit card :(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha - Shades, yeah.  There's another batch of easyJet flights out in two weeks, and that's the flights I need to know about really as it should have availability for Seville and Barca.  RyanAir fly to Seville from Bristol (Fri-Mon) but the Monday flight back is 7am, which is too early so I've discounted that fight.  Even if it was something like 11am it would be much better, but a 7am flight means a very early start, which would then potentially impact the Sunday evening too.

Great price Ian :)  The GC race date isn't on their website yet, but it's 27th Jan isn't it?  I did have a look at that for the EasyJet flights that have just been released but with the days of the flights, and to fit in with the marathon, I'd have to go for a week.  So I'm still not sure what I'm doing :)  

Shades, general question for Italian races - do we need to get a medical done, or if we're a member of EA/UKA is that okay for the race organiser?  Reason for asking is that I was having a very quick look at Florence and it talked about needing a medical certificate, but it also implied that a copy of a IAAF membership card would be okay.  I'm a member of EA/UKA, so I think a photocopy of my card count.  I'm not doing Florence, but it was just a matter of interest really.

What it actually says is below, and I've noticed similar on other Italian races:
    All entries are to be completed by sending the copy of the medical certificate or health form or the copy of IAAF membership card by fax or email.

I know France has similar, but if I'm reading the above correctly it seems Italian races would allow an EA/UK card, which I don't think France does.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Reading some of the advise on line about  tibialis anterior muscle Some recommend having low drop in trainers. Can some explain the difference and how this can help. A couple of years ago I didn’t know over pronation was even a thing. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you've been busy already with the travel logistics, maybe we should all use you as our travel agent :D

Re France/Italy.  I think France require a medical certificate.   With Florence I have sent a copy of my EA licence when I had one and the other time I had a doctors certificate.

I have heard of someone doing forged letters as they managed to get a fictional doctor's name and address made up into a rubber stamp.
  • Options
    vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    "Real runners do not wear earphones" what a load of tosh!!  That is like saying you only a real runner if you have ran a marathon.  Thousands of people wear earphones in training and races, it doesn't make them any less of a runner than anyone else. 

I wear mine during races where it is allowed and I can still talk to the person next to me if I want.  This thread can be so "elitist" at times  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    vodkabob said:
    "Real runners do not wear earphones" what a load of tosh!!  That is like saying you only a real runner if you have ran a marathon.  Thousands of people wear earphones in training and races, it doesn't make them any less of a runner than anyone else. 

I wear mine during races where it is allowed and I can still talk to the person next to me if I want.  This thread can be so "elitist" at times  

Oh what a lurker :D    Just put your headphones on and run away.
  • Options
    vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    vodkabob said:

Yes I am a lurker, what is wrong with that.  Another elitist comment no doubt...
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    VodkaBob - that's an interesting intro from you there.  Not seen that on here before.

Shades, when I went to Budapest, a mate was flying on from there to Paris to do the marathon.  We all stayed in a large apartment and on the desk was an old doctors stamp, which he was very tempted to use.  I think in the end he didn't use it and paid a small fortune to get a Hungarian doctor to do it officially in very short timescales, but that was more because he was really disorganised and didn't get the paper work sorted in time!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - doctor's certificates can be very expensive here too.   I have a friend who runs marathons and is a doctor so she did my letter/cert for me.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    If there is one thing this thread isn't it's elitist!!

OTB - I listen to music/podcasts during training as I find that helps pass the miles, unless I'm doing a speed session or similar, but find it useful for the longer slower runs. I don't wear them in races however as I prefer to focus on the event itself and the people around me.
    Ian - Good to hear no ill effects after the run and spin.

Easy 8 miles today, progressive run starting at 9:39 and finishing at 8:04.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    vodkabob said:
    SHADES said:
    vodkabob said:

Yes I am a lurker, what is wrong with that.  Another elitist comment no doubt...

Thank you vodkabob for confirming the theory that those that use headphones in races lack social skills :D
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Hi all, thank you for the warm welcomes 
    I’ve ran twice this week focusing on easy running and trying to get my running aerobic fitness back while self assessing my Achilles as I go. I had really achey legs for the rest of the day following my 1st run and wore some calf compression sleeves while at work but eventually took them off as I suspect they were causing some of the discomfort!! Anyone recommend the compression calf sleeves during or after a run or are they another fitness’fad’ do you think?
  • Options
    vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    vodkabob said:
    SHADES said:
    vodkabob said:

Thank you vodkabob for confirming the theory that those that use headphones in races lack social skills :D
    Nothing to do with social skills..  You said a comment about Real runners not using headphones, it knarked the hell out of me.  who are you to say who is and who isn't a real runner?

I have ran plenty of races with and without them, each to their own, no need to pull people down for using them if it is their preference. 
  • Options
    Morning All 

Thanks for all the advise on whether to race with music.
    What was I thinking....lol  :)  :smile:

Like I said, I haven't worn headphones on a race before, so why start now. Taper week gives you too much time to start over thinking things. Your comments have reminded me of my previous two experiences at Brighton and I wouldn't want to miss out on all that atmosphere. And I must agree I do pace better when not listening to music. Anyways, my beats wireless head phones have offical died after getting drenched on Sunday, so it's out of the question anyway.

Thanks Again

Oh almost forgot, Vodkabob  :D ............ embarrassing. 

• Options
    vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    Morning All 

Thanks for all the advise on whether to race with music.
    What was I thinking....lol  :)  :smile:

Like I said, I haven't worn headphones on a race before, so why start now. Taper week gives you too much time to start over thinking things. Your comments have reminded me of my previous two experiences at Brighton and I wouldn't want to miss out on all that atmosphere. And I must agree I do pace better when not listening to music. Anyways, my beats wireless head phones have offical died after getting drenched on Sunday, so it's out of the question anyway.

Thanks Again

Oh almost forgot, Vodkabob  :D ............ embarrassing. 

What is embarrassing about sticking up for people?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    TinyTia-welcome to the thread,where are you up to with you achilles?I'm currently recovering myself.
    Big G-Yes it's the 27th.

Vodkabob-interesting contribution but elitist this thread isn't ,we've had guys from 2:50 through to people who worry about cut-offs and people are allowed different opinions.As you can see some people have said they've used them in races or training,no one has had a go back at them.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Jelly said:
    Reading some of the advise on line about  tibialis anterior muscle Some recommend having low drop in trainers. Can some explain the difference and how this can help. A couple of years ago I didn’t know over pronation was even a thing. 
    Sorry not sure if my question got lost in the drama. 
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Good grief Vodkabob.. where did that come from?!

Just back from a slow potter round the wind farm. Didn't stop raining the whole time but that meant my hot bath followed by poached egg on toast was even more enjoyable after.

Thanks Shades, I am enjoying every day of my holiday. Mum is coming out tomorrow, she hasn't been here for a year so I will be running round like headless chicken this afternoon trying to clear up a bit (lot).
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    xpost there Jelly, sorry can't help you there. Me saying anything on that sort of thing would be like the blind leading the blind.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Jelly, sorry, can't provide any input on that. I usually wear my Frees which have a 4mm drop and I've not had any issues with tib ant but I do have a niggly tib post and have had calf and achilles issues in the past. I think the trick is to vary your shoes so the same muscles aren't always subject to the same stresses (one of the reasons I bought the Zoom Flys).

I still have a sore throat and feel ropey, but I felt like I was turning into a big gelatinous blob, so I did do a little recovery run today. I had to pick up my washing anyway, so I walked up to the common, ran two miles (very slowly - 11:12 average), walked the remaining distance to the launderette, picked up my wash back and hoiked it back home again. Legs don't feel that bad, honestly - knees are a little stiff (no doubt from being sat on my arse for three days) and I felt very ploddy. I don't know if running today was the best thing for my body but it was definitely the best thing for my mind. I was getting cabin fever.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OTB, there's nothing like a good thread about head phones to get some discussion going :smile:   There have been some good threads on here - here's one, if you're at a loose end for half an hour :wink:
    https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/246325/do-they-really-mean-it-about-no-headphones-at-manchester-marathon/p1
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

Shades – Thanks for updating the race list. Need to try and add another pb to that I think as there have been some great results this year already. I really hope your abductor improves in time - it must be so frustrating.

OnTheBeach – I also run with headphones for my long runs but I would strongly advise against running with them for the marathon. First you definitely miss out on the atmosphere if you do that, even in parts of the course where there are fewer spectator). But more importantly, I think it's unsafe. I know they are not banned for Brighton but last year I saw several incidences of people not hearing shouts from behind them of ambulances/paramedics coming through.  You do need to be aware of what is going on around you.  I hope you manage to get some more sleep, the week running up to the marathon is always tricky. BTW I am not on the South Coast (now in Herts) but this is the 3rd year I've done Brighton. Portsmouth was a last minute substitution because I had to pull out of Abingdon.  I will see how Brighton goes this year but I may switch to Southampton next year (I went to uni there so I have fond memories of the place, or at least the bars).

Jelly –  I can't help on the shoes question I'm afraid, hopefully someone will be along soon who can. Did the icing help?

BigG – sorry to hear your rib is still playing up. Is it just muscular or have you done something to the bone itself? I know they can take a while to heal up (from past experience). I've seen the trailer for Isle of Dogs and it did look really interesting, good to hear it is worth going to see.

Ian – I also find the gym boring. I am really lucky that we have a free one in our building. I have been paying for PT sessions over the past few months to try and make me do more strength / core work as otherwise I wouldn't use it at all apart from to stretch and shower.

Mamafox – it doesn't seem to matter how long I have been away from the thread but there is always a saga with your car to return to! I think I might have killed your OH about the failed dentist trip. I hope he was suitably contrite and that the car is now fixed. And I'm very glad to hear you've signed up for another marathon on no training. No doubt you will be winning some exotic prize…

Steve – that was a great run, particularly after a very high mileage week. Just think what you could do if you just trained for a half! Sorry your GF couldn't race. She needs to sign up for another one soon to get over the disappointment.

Cal – hope the throat doesn't get any worse – I know what you mean about having to get out even though you are not 100%. You don't have much luck with your groin issues.

Steven – well done on getting the 22 miles in the bag, it's all downhill from here. Hoping you are feeling better too.

Jugula – lovely to hear from you. Especially interested to hear about your new trainers. I am currently wearing Ravenna 8s but I am going to need some more soon so am v interested to hear the 9s are much lighter.

Welcome to Phil – that's a great improvement in time!

Someone asked me if I had a goal for Brighton. I've not had a good run there yet so I guess that would be the first goal. 2) To get a sub 4hrs (which would be a course pb)  3) To get a pb 4) To get a GFA time (sub 3.50). I am going to aim at 9min miles and see how I feel on the day. If that's feeling easy earlier on I might push to 8.50 and then try and keep going. Last year I knew early on that I didn't feel right and I don't think it was all down to the heat. At the moment I am more concerned about how I'm going to get to the start as it's 1.5 miles away and last year there was a dearth of taxis (even though I had pre-booked). I can walk but it's not ideal.