Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I need to get a book back to you Shades, Big G if you me know when your at club, I won’t be there next Wednesday as I’m attending a on road cycle repair workshop. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    steven - that's a speedy recovery from your race at the weekend. :) 

Big G - I've heard that Langport is a nice event.   Those collapsible cups are so clever.   Putting tea in your camelbak might not work! ;) 

Ian - I realise you're still managing the injury but there is solid progress.

Jelly - There's no urgency to return the book, hope you enjoyed it.

Cooler this morning, pleasant for my run, wildlife watch was only a mole today.  Dead of course, I've never seen a live one.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I think Ian's just passed it on to me. :/
    My body's very grouchy at the moment - not really sure why as it's had a couple of days off (although I was on my feet most of Monday, when I visited the Pleasure Beach). Even my left shoulder's decided to join the party.
    But I got out for 8 miles this morning. Typically the sun came out just as I headed back indoors. I was appreciative of the cooler weather, though - I hope it's like that for my races, though I don't suppose I'll be that lucky.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - is that your achilles that's niggling?

Is it this weekend your 10k?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Updated marathon list, I think Iain's latest result might be a PB but I'm not sure

Have left myself on the list for Yeovil although I'm a doubtful starter.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yes to the achilles, but the 10K is on the 17th (my birthday...only reason I'm doing it!) I've had achilles problems before but it's been quiet for a while. I guess it was feeling left out.
  • Options
    OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Just checking in, been very busy at work, house purchasing and training. Hence not keeping up much with the forum. But pleased to say i'm doing my best to keep my mileage up.
    Wanted to congratulate Iain, Big_g and Robert for their Ultra's. Very inspirational! 
    Shades - I assume from the table above that you unfortunately didn't get to run DD. Was I right in thinking you were hoping to?

As for me, I have South Downs Marathon next Saturday. Very excited and nervous at the same time. Not run a trail marathon yet plus this one has almost 3000ft of elevation and will likely be hot and humid. A lot of first's for me. Depending on how I get on will influence me as to whether I aim for an ultra next year. One step at at time.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!
  • Options
    OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    Can I also ask if anyone can recommend salt tablets? 

Want to try something new next weekend to try and avoid cramping. I was thinking of adding two High5 Zero tablets into my water bladder for the race. So i'll carry the electrolyte drink with me and then i'll take on pure water at the water stations, which appear to be well placed along the route.

Is it worth trying a salt tablet as well?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OTB, I used the High5 Zero tabs (with caffeine) at the DD and I think they suited me really well.  I also didn't find the taste too offensive, which was a bonus!  I'm not sure about salt tablets as well - I think the Hugh5 tabs have the necessary salts, don't they?  Could be wrong!!

I did 5 miles this evening at a steady pace.  Lovely run, but I say "steady pace" as there's still not the remotest hint of any speed there whatsoever!!  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB-I wouldn't have thought salt would be necessary if you're taking electrolytes.
    5 mile race for me today,bit of the opposite of last week,went out too fast and paid at the end.It was 3.5 laps not 2.5 as I thought and Mellor overtook me on the last bend, got round the last lap and finished in 33.43.A 4 min PB but that was set 3 years ago.Jonny finished in 24:00 ,UK best for this year by 15 secs,it's incredible watching how good he looks while running so fast.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hopefully the achilles is just a passing twinge and will come to nothing.

Big G - it will take a while for your legs to get their bounce back.

OTB - hope the house purchase is going well, when do you move in?

Re DD I knew a while ago that I wasn't fit enough to make the cut offs and complete the whole race but had still hoped to run the first 20 miles but after getting a cold followed by tonsillitis that wasn't possible.

Can I put you on the start list for DD next year?  There'll be posts on here when entries open ;) 

Re salt tablets, you don't need them if you're going to use other electrolytes such as your High 5 tabs.   What I would suggest is that you take a couple of extra tabs with you and then if you need them you can add them to the water at the drink stations, the weather could be hot so you may need more.

Ian - well done, that's a cracking PB after all you've been through.   Bit a surprise then the miscalculation of laps ;)  Great running from Jonny Mellor too.

Another nice morning, actually did part of my run on a hillier route which really shows my lack of fitness but it felt good running down the hills. Wearing my first pair of Hokas that have nearly 800 miles on them and the cushioning on the downhill felt as if they were almost new.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, legs are heavy.  I kind of feel okay in myself, but very ploddy when I run.  I'm enjoying the runs, although I think I'm going to take a rest day from running today (a bit achey and just don't fancy it today), but will go for a walk instead.

Well done Ian, great time there!

Just seen the Yeovil email about the race instructions.  We can leave drinks at the stations, so I'm going to leave a couple of bottles of water with the High 5 in I think.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you've done really well this week with your recovery, so a rest day or two now will help.  It feels quite humid out there now too.

Re Yeovil, that's the advantage of smaller club type races being able to put your drinks out.  It's a nice race, quiet country lanes and not a Dartmooresque hill in sight :) 

I still haven't decided whether or run Yeovil or not, I'm dithering.   My lack of form/fitness is obvious when I updated my shoe mileage, my last 3 month's mileage has been 114, 111, and 106 and those figures include 2 ultras and 2 marathons :( 

Just had a tough Pilates class, usual instructor on holiday.  Enjoyed it though, they're introducing more classes so I might squeeze another one in each week.
  • Options
    OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advise on salt tablets. I'll stick to the High5's tablets and add them to water.

Thinking back to Brighton, although I always grabbed a high5 drink at the water stations they were only half full plastic cups. And I imagine they were very weak. Probably got 4 or 5 of them throughout the whole race. Most likely nowhere near enough to adequately replenish my salt lost. 
    Interested to see if taking them properly and more frequently could help my cramps.

Shades - shame to hear it wasn't your year for the DD, frustrating no doubt. Guess it happens every once in a while, Fingers crossed next year though. A you say to others on here, better to rest and recover rather than push and do any long term muscle damage.

I'll see how I go with South Downs before I commit to an Ultra. I would like to run a race with you guys and girls. Be lovely to meet in person and put faces to usernames  :)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck with South Downs, OTB.
    That's a very quick 5 miles, Ian, well done on the PB.

With my first 10K of the year looming, I was out at 10am for a bit of speed work in the form of alternate mile intervals. Splits were 10:32/8:23/10:32/8:18/10:29/8:34/10:38.
    I was initially a bit disappointed that my last fast mile was slower than the preceeding ones because it felt just as fast, but when I looked at my stats, my cadence was consistent (168 for the slower miles and 190 for the fast ones) - the difference was in my stride length. I was wearing the Zoom Flys which seem to give me a slightly longer stride than normal, but lost a couple of centimetres on the last interval so I guess my legs got tired.

I've entered a couple more 10Ks - an evening one on Clapham Common in July and one in Hyde Park in August. I doubt there will be any PBs in the offing as it will be warm, but it's a good chance to work on my speed. Ultimately, I want to get my half time down - it needs to be quicker if I'm ever to get anywhere near GFA (not that that will happen for a while!)
  • Options
    Ian- Brilliant time for 5 miles that's very quick.
    OTB- I use High 5 tablets all the time and find them really good. I know I have suffered hamstring cramps in my marathons when using them however I think this is more down to poor stretching and lack of strength training. Good luck with your South Downs trail marathon.

5 miles easy run today think I'm actually starting to nail this easy pace running. Start my October marathon next week really looking forward to the training for this one. Done 2 days of strength/stretch training this week I know that's not much however it is 2 days more than I used to do.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB-Good luck at South Downs,great prep for next year.
    Steven-When you get very consistent at those nice easy runs watch your times drop down,that's what I did last year and my times were amazing.
    Cal-No guarantees those races will be warm,so you might PB yet.
    Big G-It was only 5 days ago you did DD so hardly a surprise there's no speed back yet,even after a full I have no speed back at this stage so well done for what you are doing.
    Shades-That's really low mileage for you,shows how the illnesses have affected you.
    Looking back on last night I'm ok with the time,but my pacing was shocking,started at 6:18 and ended at 7:04 with each mile getting slower,the first half mile was downhill but it felt really hard,don't suppose my 20 on Saturday was ideal prep.
    Nice evening run pacing OH with her last speed session before the 10k next weekend.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I'm sure I remember reading an article on intervals that the 2nd is usually the best time wise, as the first gets you used to the increased effort and warms you up, the latter ones feel harder as you're tiring although you may not realise it.

Do you need sub 4 for a GFA?

steven - even if your strength exercises drop to 2 days a week, that's enough to make a difference as long as you are still doing them.  

Glad you're settling well into the easy running.

Ian - I was shocked how low my mileage was, but it does explain my loss of fitness.   

6:18 for your first mile, that's fast!!

I guess you OH is planning another PB at her 10km, are you running that race too?

Rest day for me today.  My hamstrings are slightly sore this morning, I can't think that's because I ran one longish hill yesterday, must have been that killer Pilates session.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I want to get some speed back, too.  Not for GFA but a) for a good 5K time and b) to see if I can start knocking on the door of my marathon PB later in the year.  I still find it hard fitting in the speed work between marathons, but after June's events are out of the way, I currently do not have any marathons until the end of July, so I'm hoping to introduce some speed work in that period.

Feeling like I actually want to run today, so will head out for a run shortly.  I'm going to Plymouth later with the step-dog, who needs to be groomed.  She's a type of breed that needs to be hand-stripped, not trimmed, and there's not many that do it decently.  Probably going to go for a nice walk around a place called Noss Mayo and then stop for a late lunch at a seafood place.

https://www.scienceinsport.com/great-run-bundle
    For info, the above link has a code (GR4267) to get an SiS bundle for £4.99 delivered, which is a good price for what's included.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes we're both racing,she's defo getting a good PB unless something goes badly wrong,I'm hoping to be around 42/43,pb is 39:57.
    Checked my mileage and it's also really low,509 for this year compared to 784 last year,and this time last year I was about to do my only 200 mile months so will fall further behind.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Did a very sweaty 7-miler this morning, about 2/3 on trails.  It's a really great run - one of my favourite local ones for the views/scenery - but it was humid out there this morning.  I had a slight knee twinge in my left knee, which I had a few days before DD and then it went away before that event and didn't trouble me in the race.  I hope it's nothing to worry about as it was a bit sore at times today.  I'll keep an eye on it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well you've done well on 500 miles so far for the year.   I'm sure you'll catch up some time.

Big G - funny how you get that knee niggle now and then in a training run but you can run a tough course like DD without any problems.  Is it the same knee and the same pain you got last year a few times?
    Knees are funny things.

That's a great deal with SIS, I do hear a lot of good reports on their gels.  Pity I don't use that stuff.   
    I have bought loads of cereal bars off the internet to try out in races, most of them with caffeine but haven't had a chance to try them out in a race yet.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I got that bundle! I was a little disappointed that the gels were cherry flavour - I'd had one of those at Liverpool and it reminded me of Tixylix. :lol: But eh, at least it wasn't Grapefruit. Yuck. I did try one of the bars a couple of hours before my run yesterday and I didn't notice it (this is a good thing since I feel a lot of food in my oesophagus for hours after eating). So I can add that to my list of "foods that Cal can eat before a run."

Big G - my knees have been grouching a little but seem better this week than last. Just the achilles now (and that ever-grumbling hamstring, but I'm just so used to that I barely notice it any more).

I wasn't planning on running today since I did intervals yesterday and hot pilates in the afternoon, but I felt kind of stiff first thing so I thought I'd give my legs a bit of a shake out as it was sunny. So, 5 miles recovery, plus I walked around the pond a bit after as it was too nice to head straight back inside. I saw a lady in a Royal Parks shirt taking a photo of the goslings so I had a little chat with her, then petted a big floofy Newfoundland pup that I'd seen on the way back from Sainsbury's the other week.

Felt much happier when I got back...happy enough to enter another bloody marathon. I discovered a lot of people from my club are going to Valencia, so now I am too. Oh I have no self control. :lol:
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah it's the same knee. You may remember I struggled slowly around Dorney Lake last year, as the pain came on during the race.  Also had a knee issue in the run up to London last year. 

Cal, great news on the marathon entry!!  I'd be keen to hear what you think of Valencia as I was seriously considering that one too. 
  • Options
    OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    Big_G thanks for sharing the SiS deal, I just ordered one.
    Think i'll try one of the energy bars during my next race. I know I wont be running the whole way, probably snack on one whilst walking a big hill or something.

Thanks for the good luck everyone, getting pre-race excitement again. Racing certainly is addictive  :)
    Taper and carb loading next week. My favorite! 
  • Options
    Cal- great that you have entered another marathon. I've heard great things about Valence a marathon.
    Big G- I don't normally use SIS but I will definitely take a look.
    Shades- totally agree as long as I'm doing some strength exercises it's more than I used to do so I will feel the benifets eventually.

15 miles today again easy. It included my first hill run of the year not the biggest  hill where I live however it still is a test for me. It arrived around mile 10 it was only about 500m in length with an ave gradient of around 10% and I was chuffed with myself that I got up it without stopping. Nowhere near ready to attempt the other hills yet which are longer and steeper but as they say I have to start somewhere. 
  • Options
    Good luck to all shadies who have a race this weekend. Stay safe.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Had a great day out in Plymouth.  I lived there for a while and there is a decent seafood restaurant on the Barbican, called Platters.  We went there for lunch, and weren't disappointed - I had seafood paella, which was very good.

Nearby, there's a decent coffee shop called Rockets and Rascals, which is actually a cycling shop and sells very, very good coffee and cake, so we went there.  There's loads of cycling memorabilia on the walls, and at the back is the workshop with the guys servicing bikes, and lots of gear hanging off the walls.

There's this great thing on the wall....which I thought could have also been about pairs of running shoes ;) 

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G - Valencia is pretty cheap, as marathons go - 50 euros currently, though it goes up next month. They give refunds for injuries too. I've only heard positive things about it and it's a fast, flat course. Go on, you know you want to!

I know what you mean about shoes. I like the look of Nike Epic React...nice and light but more cushioned than my Frees, which would make for a nice marathon shoe. (Having said that, my feet didn't hurt as much this year...perhaps they are getting used to the pounding). But they are still full price everywhere so I'm going to have to wait.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha Cal, please don't tempt me!  ;)  I spent a while figuring out what european marathon I'm doing and I've gone for San Sebastian, which is the week before Valencia so I can't do both, sadly.  I've also heard good things about Valencia marathon!