Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Only watched the race from 36km but what a finish! to keep on going and some, big question thou is 'buy can he do it on a cold rainy tuesday night up norf?'

Shades I think the women prefer running with club runners, I believe the only woman who is likely to get the womens world record is MAry Keitany but even she had male pacers this year.  From a views perspective I prefer the two separate races especially for when the British women are running as they'll just get lost in the good male clubrunners with their 2.30-2.40 marathons.

Big G well done on getting the marathon done, although you said you felt bad stopping when the others had another lap to go, it must have been quite good mentally! PS their ir only one way to eat scones and thats with jam and then the cream.

Well done getting a run in while you were away, hope you get into a routine soon.

Cal, hope you left something in your legs for the half today! Hope you have a good race.

Ian hope no damage for the OH!

Steven holiday runs are awesome, get to see somewhere different whilst staying fit, always worth taking a small camera or a phone.

So on Friday I was complaining of a sore area by my hip, I woek up yesterday and was still grumbling but 2 miles to parkrun 2 miles back and was the 26 min pacer (25.56 :smile: )

Today went to start a 15 mile run, made it to 2 and a half and didnt feel right turned and slow jog back home.  Going to get a tennis ball in and work on my glutes as I'm sure this is what it is, then work on the hamstrings as they are feeling a tad tight too.

I've got 4 weeks till Peterborough half, I wanted 15 miles alternate pacing today but will now try next week, have a fartlek session on tuesday at the club and track session on thursday so will see how i am before attending those.  I'm considering putting off my parkrun PB attempt until the week after next, I won't go 100% out as in the mid week i have the club champs 5k race. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I had to go and find my Berlin medal, mine has the Brandenburg Gate on it, that was 2013.

Robert - I agree, I think the women prefer to run with the men.   But you're right, they get poor TV coverage then if they're not leading, but so do the men that are just off the front.

Hope the hip is OK, you might just have overworked the hip flexors, should settle quickly.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Khani - just had a delayed delivery message on the email I sent you at 6 a.m. !!  Hope you get the email, if not let me know.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, maybe it's a newish thing then.  One of the chaps I ran/walked with yesterday mentioned it as he did Berlin last year or the year before, and his medal has a pic of the previous year's winner.  It just came to my mind when I saw the interview with Kipchoge, and this year's medal.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big g-Well done on battling through the rough spell.
    Rob-Great pacing at parkrun,good to stop your run if you're not feeling it.
    No damage to OH,just grazed arm,got some dressings but she was ok to come for another short run last night.
    Could only watch Berlin via the marathon tracker,incredible seeing his splits for each 5k.
    Daughters friend came 25th in the woman's race and first non-elite and top brit so she's really happy.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just seen this elsewhere - he did a negative split...

• Options
    Big G like the sound of the medal with the world record holder on next year *looks up hotel and flights* saying that I have no real passion to run berlin.

Shades, I think I may have over done it with a small amount of s&c on Thursday... always knew it was bad for me.

I wonder why the race wasn't shown in the UK? shame as with Berlin there is always the chance of a world record going.  Wonder if the BBC will 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I had a refundable hotel booked for this year and was poised to book the flights as soon the ballot places were announced as I (wrongly!) assumed I was bound to get a place. It’s on my list, having never been to Berlin before. I expect I’ll do the same for next year too, but I just have to make sure I cancel the hotels if I don’t get a place!!
  • Options
    So while Kipchoge was killing it in Berlin, I was slogging over stony ground in Richmond.
    I felt OK this morning but had a little dig around with my roller and hockey balls before I left.
    Getting there was more of a pain than usual as the tube wasn't running, which meant an entire train full of runners trying to cram onto a bus. I had considered walking from (it's just under 2 miles) but that would have cut it very fine, especially with the toilet queue being rather long. As it was, I only made my wave with minutes to spare, so no time for a proper warm-up.
    The first few miles (just over 3) are within Kew Gardens, which is lovely, but also rather winding and I spent most of the first mile ducking and diving to get past people. I banged out a few good miles regardless (8:38/8:40/8:40/8:38) but I slowed a bit after the first water station (I am always out of breath after drinking) and we then moved on to the stony towpath. I wore the Epics today, and despite them being a lot more cushioned than the Frees, I noticed the stones a lot more. After an 8:51 and 8:52, I decided 1:55 wasn't on and I would just try to keep my pace under 9 minutes and aim for a PB.
    Getting on to the hard paths as we passed Richmond was quite a relief, and I managed an 8:47 here, but we were back on the towpath again (admittedly not quite as stony, but still rather uneven) and my pace slipped again (8:56/8:59/8:57). Still, I went through 10 miles in a hair under 1:28, which is actually a PB, so I was on track as long as I didn't blow up like I did at Maidenhead.
    It was rather warm by now and I was definitely feeling tired, so I started reciting a rude little cadence rhyme in my head that I made up one marathon long run back in the winter. I was over 9 minutes now, with a 9:03 and my legs were feeling distinctly rubbery as I passed through Ham House's grounds. I hit mile 12 in 9:17 and it felt like focussing on the rhyme was the only thing keeping me from falling apart, but I was close now, so I managed to keep it together and got a little boost from the noisy spectators back in Richmond. Mile 13 was 9:07 and I had no idea if a PB was possible, but I was determined to do as well as I could.
    In previous years, we spent a lot longer running through Old Deer Park, but since they added more distance within Kew Gardens they've cut the Deer Park bit down (which I was very thankful for). I didn't have much left to push with so no sprint finish, but I did as well as I could and when I stopped my watch I was delighted to see I was under 1:57. Not by much, but enough. My official time is 1:56:47, so a PB of 14 seconds.
    I know there's a 1:55 in me, but I think it'll take a much cooler day on a better surface (and preferably when I'm not recovering from several 50+ mile weeks and 21 mile long runs. For now, I'm happy to have completed my clean sweep of PBs for the year.

------
    Rob, sorry to hear your hip is sore. Careful with that, eh? I was out all Autumn last year with my stupid TFL, and it wasn't even damaged, just a bit angry. Maybe get a massage?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal - sounds a tough day and similarly to you, not really my kind of course. A PB is a PB though, so well done. I’m intrigued by your rhyme - care to share? ;)
  • Options
    cal well done on the pb, think we all want to hear the rhyme..... have spent a bit of time icing, rolling with tennis ball and roller, will have  forced rest day tomorrow and see how I am tuesday before a massage, I've got one in a few weeks pre peterborough
  • Options
    It's childish and includes references to genitalia. Are you sure you want to hear it? :D
  • Options
    Cal- great pb. Totally agree with you you'll definitely get 1.55 some time.

Re Berlin- Kipchoge is just amazing. Great to see the delight on his face as he finished.

Set out after watching the marathon for a 8 miler. Done it a little faster than I wanted to but I blame watching Kipchoge for that. Not that I could ever run that quick even just for a couple of miles.

Off to watch Simon Yates in the last stage of the Vuelta. Absolutely brilliant for him winning the race after his collapse in the Giro. Unbelievable that all 3 grand tours this year have been won by British riders.
  • Options
    Steven, keep up for a couple of miles? 34.60 for 200m would be a struggle
  • Options
    I looked at his splits and I don't think I'd even manage 100m with him!
  • Options
    A little round-up of UK placings in Berlin here: https://www.fastrunning.com/events-and-races/weekend-round-ups/british-runners-out-in-force-at-berlin-marathon-weekend-round-up/19589
    Clapham Chasers had the 1st lady - amazing! (And now you might understand why there's no one slow enough to run with me on the club marathon long runs).
    I've had the pleasure of seeing Paul Martelletti at a couple of parkruns (he has the course record at a few around London, including my local) and he's pretty impressive to watch. Shame about Scott Overall - I wonder what happened?
  • Options
    This from twitter, yesterday’s post sets the picture 
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I’m no a Triathlete, went well a few rooky wobbles and did extra lap on bike which added 3 minutes, finished sprint distance in 1:14 pleased with how it went and sign up to another already. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I think that was stephanie's first marathon aswell, her sister has houseshared with my daughter the last 2 years.
    Great run on the new PB, well done on not an ideal course 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you're a tough coach making your OH run doubles ;) 

Robert - Berlin switched to ballot entry so not quite so easy to get a place now.   But it's a lovely course although quite crowded, much nicer race than London.  

Berlin has only been on BBC TV once and with the cuts I doubt it will be on again unless we have a high profile athlete going for a record.   The coverage on the link Big G put up was really good, I didn't really miss the commentary.

Scott Overall does seem to have a difficult time with a lot of his marathons

Cal - brilliant PB, well done.   And a faster PB on a better course is yours if you find a suitable race.   I laughed at the thought of you muttering a rude little rhyme :D when it was tough.

I think it's better to do your long runs alone, although at times you might want company.   Running with others means that you rarely get to run at your pace and doing a long run alone teaches mental strength in the latter stages of a marathon.

steven - I think after watching Kipchoge it would be easy to run faster than planned, watching that sort of performance gives you a running high.  Hope you have a lovely holiday.

Jelly - well done, that's a great result.   I expect long term you'll be looking at doing an Ironman ;) 

Short run for me this morning, 5 miles.   Only 3 short runs planned for this week then 2 days rest ready for Saturday.   Strange weather, 17 degrees and 96% humidity at 5:15 when I went out for my run, back to vest again, light drizzle and very windy.   Legs feel good and fresh.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Jelly!  Great that you enjoyed it so much to sign up for another one already!

Cal, thanks for that link.  Your club also had someone who did very well at Comrades didn't they?

Shades, good news that you're feeling fresh this week.  What strategy do you go in to for an event such as this?  I guess start steady and try and fuel well, but do you have targets in advance of the event, or is it more a case of doing your best on the day?

I did 4-miles this morning and it was humid - very odd weather as Shades said.  I'm leading the social club run tonight and have a route sorted that's about 5.5 miles.  I haven't led one for a while but I've asked the coach coordinator to not schedule me in for the rest of the year, due to the events I have lined up.
  • Options
    Jelly glad you enjoyed it, booking another straight after keeps me focused usually! 

Shades, I entered the Berlin ballot the 1st time it was a ballot 2014 I think but didn’t get a place.  My mate I’ve ran a few of my races with he just pays the charity their £350 requirement for a place, he has also done 2x £1350 for London! One way of getting in I suppose 

still feelin sore sore so rest day again today and probably tomorrow as well, did want to try my 1st track session on Thursday but see how I am.

one thing that has surprised me is the elevation gain at Berlin, looking at people’s Strava it’s about 1000ft! 
  • Options
    Yes, Carla Molinaro. She recently represented GB at some ultra thing out in, I think, Croatia.
    And then there's our world record holder, Joe, who holds the record for the fastest marathon dressed as a swimmer. :D He's a serious triathlete, though - just qualified for Kona. He posts as Joe Bloggs in the P&D thread.

Shades, yeah, I think I actually prefer to run alone, since I can get out early (club runs tend to start at 9) and plan my routes to avoid traffic stops, since I'm a bit autistic about stopping during runs. Of the two club runs I've done, one was in Richmond Park, which I sort of enjoyed until I got lost (after which it was a bit stressful, since I had to be back at the carpark by a certain time as I'd got a lift there with someone). The other went up to Hyde Park and there were a lot of busy roads to cross and a lot of traffic fumes. I didn't like that one at all. I ran alone both times too, which rather defeats the point.

I had another restless night last night - the frustrating thing was I couldn't even manage an afternoon nap despite being shattered. I must churn out a buckload of cortisol when I race. I went to hot pilates anyway and kind of dragged through the class - did all the exercises, just at a slower pace than normal. Hopefully I'll be able to nap this afternoon.
    Shades, I noticed it was rather warm on my way to class, but distinctly cooler on the way back. I hope the weather cools off a bit over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Think that's skewed quite a bit,think it's about 200-300 for Berlin from everything I've heard.
    Berlin is on my wish list for next year,there's their own charity option for €190 I might take advantage off if I don't get in the ballot 
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Once I’m more experienced and get the open water business under my belt (not tired that bit yet) I wouldn’t mind a half Ironman, I friendly with a couple of Trotters who completed a Iron Man this year and the hours of training a week you need and full time work, family life would suffer too much, maybe when retired or part time work allows.  Don’t feel like I’m getting the miles in for The Cornish Marathon at the moment with the new Job 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - I didn't realise you'd changed your job.  Hope that means you don't have to work outside in the cold weather now.
    I don't know how folk find the time to train for an Ironman, it's hard enough to train in one discipline never mind 3.   My friend that did an IM this year, switched to working just 3 days a week and that was fine.

Robert - I did Berlin the last year before the ballot, entries opened at certain time and I was poised ready to enter the race as soon as I could.  My boss called me into a meeting and I told him I had something urgent to do and would be 5 mins late, so managed to get my entry in first....priorities ;) 

I don't believe Strava on elevation, they really need to sort that out.  Not just Strava but GPS devices.  this is the race profile

Cal - yes, best to stick to those long runs alone.   I used to do long runs with the Trotters and when I had my running club and at least half of those runs I came away disappointed that it wasn't really the right training session for me.

I'm sure the weather is going to cool down, once the tail end of those storms pass us by in the next couple of days I think we'll settle to 'normal' autumnal weather which I just what we want for our races.

Big G - I've pondered for a long time on race strategy for my 24 hour race, not helped by the fact that the last time I ran one was 10 years ago so can't remember what strategy I had then.   But key for me is not to get a sore (acid) stomach and plan my eating very carefully and not give up!   This race is slightly different in that you need a minimum distance of 100km not to be considered a DNF, my Garmin battery won't last for 24 hours so my plan is just to concentrate on eating/drinking and get to the 100km wearing my Garmin to keep me focussed.   After that I will ditch the Garmin and I will probably be in survival mode to try and get as many miles done as I can.   My PB is 80 miles so I'd be very happy to get past that.
  • Options
    That race sounds awful, Shades! :D Yeah, I might be interested in doing an ultra at some point but 24 hours...nah.
    It's 25 degrees and brilliant sunshine in London today...everywhere else looks grey on the map. I looked at Chester and it's 15 degrees in two weeks but the forecast doesn't go beyond that. Looks promising, though. I am at my best between 10 and 14 degrees.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Cal - ha, ha, I know what you mean but the 24 hour has always held a fascination for me.   There's a few 24 hour off road events that have started now, like Endure 24 but they don't appeal to me at all.   There's only, I think, two 24 hour events here now that are held on a 400m track and the Tooting one you have to apply and then wait to see if you are chosen to take part.   There's a very highly rated 24 hour in Belfast, tarmac, round a park and that held the World Championships last year and I believe about 20 of the contestants ended up in hospital and there was one lady that ended up in ITC but still went back this year to take part in the event again.   Anyway the 24 hour event is unfinished business for me so I just want to have one more go. :) 

I never use music when I run except in a 12 or 24 hour race.  I bought a tiny MP3 player the last time I entered a 12 hour race and then the race was cancelled so never used it.   Couldn't remember how to use it so had to faff around with it but all sorted now and putting a load of music on it which I'll finish doing today.

That's good news about the weather changing to what we expect for autumn.

But it's 16 degrees here now, drizzle, doesn't feel so humid but that's because it's very windy.   I had a great run, I find it hard to keep the distance to 5 miles this week.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Ian, I was actually thinking similar about doing Berlin and just paying the charity option.  It is a race I'd really like to do.  But then I put my sensible hat back on and think that the charity option costs the equivalent of 4/5 race entries elsewhere, so I'm not sure.  I'll have a think about it though as I would like to do it.

Shades, I can imagine planning what you want to do at a race like takes a lot of thought.  Are you planning to rest/sleep for certain times, or are you going to play it be ear in that regard too?  Also, are you thinking of eating at set times?  Sorry for all the questions but it's the type of thing I'd be pondering if I was doing something like that.

Cal, I much prefer cooler weather too.  When I went under 3:30 it was cold, but perfect for me.  I remember I was actually shivering on the start line, but knew I'd be fine once I got going as there was no wind or rain.  Others had coats on etc, but I just know that I heat up very quickly.  I did have some light weight gloves on, which I find does help.

I led the social run last night.  It's advertised as 5-6 miles and I had a route that I measured as 5.5 miles on MapMyRun but it ended up being just over 6 (I did loop back a couple of times).  I took them up a big hill and was met with a few moans and groans, but they enjoyed it really ;)  

Rest day today.