Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - xpost. Dartmoor weather doesn't need advertising.  As we leave Ashburton we are climbing back up onto the moor, although a lot of the route is sheltered there's a fair bit that isn't. So it's not unusual to hit a headwind in places.  The stretch from Postbridge to 31 miles is usually into a headwind too, not always strong but just makes the last few miles a bit tougher.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ian - brilliant video, she just doesn't get it, ha, ha.  Lucky for her it was only a 10k.

No, there's no minimum kit requirements  for DD. It's a road event so rules are the same as a road marathon.

But pack kit for all and every weather possiblity.  Forecast can change overnight for the Moors. Sun cream very important, if it's sunny you're more likely to burn when up on the higher points.  We had one ''hot' year and it was carnage, many runners well over an hour slower than usual, quite a few DNF's.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Shades, physio told me that she'd have the X-Ray results at my next appointment.  I need to call on Wednesday for an appointment for the following week.

Ian, great video :D  Why wouldn't want we want to look at the boats whilst running up and down the prom :)  

Robert, yeah, injuries are part of it, but I've never missed so many events that I'd booked up.  6 marathon DNSs due to this at the moment and I'm trying not to think about the cash!  Injury came at totally the wrong time really as obviously Spring is a busy time for events.

OH's parents are down here in Sunny Devon for a few days, and they very kindly offered to buy us some decent garden furniture.  Went to a couple of garden centres, and they weren't absolutely rammed bearing in mind it was BH weekend, which was good!  Picked up some nice furniture at the second one which will be delivered on Thursday, and it's got all the stuff we wanted (a table and 4 chairs, plus a smaller table with two chairs, foot rests and a parasol).  OH jokingly suggested a trip to Trago, and if that had happened I'd have walked home rather than endure that on a BH weekend ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I liked that video,poor Dave from Skem getting stick for wearing a sweatband.
    Shades-Will definitely pack sun cream,can't believe I burnt on Sunday,then again I get a pink neck in the slightest weather.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good that your physio will get your x-ray. 

Don't think about cash 'lost' from your DNS's, you'd have spent twice that on petrol and food by now.

Well done avoiding Trago, I've lived down here since 1981 and only been there 3 times...shudders at the thought of going again

Ian/Robert - you'll probably need some winter kit too but we'll go through that nearer the time. ;) 

Lovely morning here, fresh but not frosty, 7 degrees.   Had a lovely run, calf and abductors are fine, just a hint of tiredness today.  But I have slight DOMS in my quads, from pushing the pace on the downhills on Sunday.   Pilates this morning, I expect that's going to hurt.:'(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Shades, true about the fuel/food/hotel money.  To rub salt in the wounds though, I've received emails from MK and Great Welsh inviting me to look at my race pics :)  

Arm feels better again this morning.  I'm back to taking the stronger meds, but things like getting dressed and having a shower were a lot easier than they have been this morning.  So there's obviously definitely progress overall, it's just slow and sometimes stuttering! 

X-Ray at midday and we'll be having a wander around Totnes for coffee etc, which is a nice (although some would say unusual) town.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Nice parkrun and 20 miler! Good to focus on the one "rabbit" for now. The faster you get at the marathon, the easier the ultra will be.
    Ian - Hard to know what happened, but up until you crashed, I thought you paced it really well. Good to hear that you had no cramps.
    Shades - Congrats on the marathon, that's a good time and massive improvement on last year.
    Rob - Nice week of miles, good to see the improvement.
    18 miles for me on Saturday, 5 mile recovery on Sunday after 90 minutes on the bike, that finished off another 50+ mile week. Up early today to do a 13 miler.
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    @SHADES do you still have your marathon plan available?  Heading towards my first this Autumn.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - enjoy Totnes, nice for coffee etc and a wander round.

Steve - has your training gone to plan?

JGav - yes, message me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Pilates was tough as I expected with slightly tired legs, good though. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    JGav - I've just emailed you the plans.  I expect the email will be delayed, Gmail doesn't like my email address, but it will arrive.

I've never had a post to my wall before on RW, is that a new thing?
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    JGav - I've just emailed you the plans.  I expect the email will be delayed, Gmail doesn't like my email address, but it will arrive.

I've never had a post to my wall before on RW, is that a new thing?
    Cheers and I've got no idea about the wall thing.  I couldn't see another way to message you directly and that was how someone else had sent me a message.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Not sure what it means at the moment but apparently I’ve got quite a lot of calcification that appears like it runs along a tendon. Also, a random spot of calcification near the skin too. 

Physio will tell me more next week. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - I'd say so yes, my LT paces are faster than last year. Fingers crossed that transfers into race pace too! My easy/long run paces are slower, but for lower heart rates. Doing parkrun this weekend to see where I'm at pace wise over 5k.
    Big G - Seems like you are getting somewhere with the injury, so seems like good news.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    JGav - when I click on your name and that takes me to your page there's a box on the top right hand side saying Message.    Anyway it works either way.

Which marathon are you doing later in the year?

Big G - I just Googled what that means but it's your injury so I won't post what Google told me, but it does say this often occurs with the rotator cuff.

Steve - so those faster LT paces and your improved base training HR's bodes well for a good fast race. :)
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Running Bournemouth on the 6th October.  Had a very poor start to 2019 so have a lot of work to make up before then.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    JGav - I haven't done Bournemouth but I believe it's quite a fast course.

You have 5 months so hopefully if all is well with you now that should be enough time to get some decent training in.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    My bag arrived, prize from Connemara  :)

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I got a bit worried when she talked about calcification as my Mum had that on both shoulders and needed an operation on each. From googling though it seems only 1/10 need an operation. Fingers crossed it keeps getting better with physio/exercises. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, that sounds worrying. Hopefully it's nothing that needs surgery.

Today was a complete fail for me. I thought by fitting in an extra recovery run yesterday I'd be OK for a longer run today (longer as in longer tham my usual Tuesday recovery, rather than an actual long run) but it just didn't happen. Lovely weather when I woke up but I couldn't seem to get moving. Decided to wait until 9am (after rush hour) but that came and went and then I felt hungry, had to eat, thought I might try to go out at lunchtime but by that point, inertia had set in.
    Ashamed to say I never even left my flat today. Clocked up less than 1000 steps (I've been hitting minimum 10,000 since January). By the time dinner time rolled around, I had to summon quite a bit of willpower to actually make a salad and open tins of beans and sweetcorn, because I really couldn't be arsed.
    I guess last week's caught up with me and I'm just tired. I've Gatwick half this weekend so no point forcing things. Does mean I'll have to run in the rain tomorrow (if the forecast deluge happens). Eh, well.
  • Options
    Cal, sometimes just need a day off to recover, dont push it too much

Shades, nice momentum from Connemarathon

Big G chances of surgery are low, fingers crossed.  I think a big part of the battle is doing the exercises, I'm sure many don't and don't get better.

1st WJ session for a while, opted for a group run 6.4 miles of country roads and trail, lovely evening for it.

Rest/ gym day tomorrow give foot time to breathe 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I read it is a type of tendonitis and also that steroid injections can be used to aid recovery.

Cal - we all have days like that and better to take a rest day than trying to do what you really don't feel like doing.  We're not machines.

Is Gatwick a new race? I don't remember you doing it before.  Hope it's not on a runway at the airport.

Robert - great you're back enjoying club sessions again.
    I reckon the thought of that injection spurred your foot to finally start recovery.

Just finished circuits, great class. Most of the others have followed circuits class by going into the gym or into Pilates class.  Me, I'm going food shopping, after all technically it is my rest day.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Gatwick was new last year - it was too close to Liverpool (which was a week earlier last year) for me then but I thought I'd give it a whirl this time. It passes by Gatwick but starts and finishes in Crawley. I am using it as a Vaporfly test (although I may race it if I feel good).
    Not sure how much energy I will have though. I did kick myself out this morning just after 5.30am and did 8 miles at recovery pace. Often when I start a run at more than 11 minute miles I get a bit quicker as I warm up. Not today, though. I had one mile at 10:43 which had a downhill in it, but all the others were over 11 (well over in a couple of cases!)
    It was raining, too, but still mild enough for a T-shirt. I didn't mind the rain - it wasn't heavy.
  • Options
    Shades, I was mentioning yesterday I reckon it was the talk of the injection that did the trick! Surely shopping can be classes as cross training? 

Big G, have you managed to shift your place for DD? Was trying to convince a couple to to tag along with me at WJ last night.

Well done for getting out this morning,  hope you feel more lively closer to Sunday, I was picked to pace but pulled out straight away as I was still injured and didn't know if I would still have the fitness.

Last night signed up to a summer mid week race series with WJ, although I can only make the final race and possibly one the Wednesday after DD if I can walk.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've seen that Belfast has revised the times down for the extra distance.  I'm not sure I really agree with that in terms of GFA and qualification for other events (presuming the revised time will count), or even a PB. 

Also saw AH had a comparative shocker at MK. He was pacing the 3hr group (of which he’s obviously more than capable!) but he finishing around 3:30 I think. 

Robert, yes I got rid of my DD entry a couple of weeks ago. Glad I did as the transfer list is quite slow this year. 

Yeah, definitely I’m doing the exercises. I’m attempting not to push them too much though which sometimes makes me feel I’m not ‘trying’, but it’s a balancing act as if I go a bit too far it hurts and then the rest of the day can be painful. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Hope the exercises keep the improvement going.AH ended up finishing bad at Newport also,he was leading for the majority and faded badly to finish 4th and MK was the day after.
    Tough one for the people who did Belfast but I agree with them changing times as it wasn't a simple GPS error,how they work the formula out though as different people would take different times over the extra depending on how they were finishing.
    Shades-That's a great prize,decent and useful.
    JGav-Welcome to the thread and hope training goes well for Bournemouth.
    Cal-Just sounds like you need a day or 2 of rest,come out the other side stronger.
    Rob-As you're attempting to talk others into it,does that mean you're more confident about DD yourself now?
    Didn't run yesterday as I had a bit too much to do,hopefully get out later when the rain eases a bit.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - I have my fingers crossed for a good race! It's been a while since I've raced!!
    JGav - I did Bournemouth as my first marathon, it's a nice course, but has a nasty incline/hill around 18 miles.
    Cal - Let me know how you get on with the vaporfly's! Tempted to wear them to parkrun this weekend...but might just go with Zoom Fly instead.
    10 miles with strides this morning.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - That explains why I've not heard you mention Gatwick half.   Much better timing for you this year.  You'll be fine by Sunday, I guess it'll be a flat and fast course around there.   I think Khanivore is running it too, hope you get a chance to meet him.
    We've got rain here too, very heavy during the night, it woke me up, but light showers now.

Robert - food shopping is definitely cross training.   Ridiculous really, take it off the shelf put in trolley, take out of trolley pay for it and put it back in trolley.   Push trolley across car park, load boot, return trolley.   Home and carry it out of car then unpack it and put it away.   No wonder I need a 2nd breakfast on a Wednesday :) 

A race on the Wednesday after DD might be interesting for you :'( :D 

Big G - re Belfast and GFA times, well that's better than the course being short and times having to be scaled up accordingly.   I can't see anything wrong with that as at least the runners did run at least marathon distance not like Manchester when the course was short.  
    I didn't see the follow up, I guess it's not a mismeasurement but someone laid out the course incorrectly?

I wonder if AH has an injury, he does have a tendency to go off too fast especially in a big marathon and slow down but that sounds like he's got an injury or niggle.   Is he doing DD this year?

Steve - I knew someone on here had done Bournemouth, just couldn't remember who  :/   Must be quite a while now since your first marathon.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly ran at North Dorset on Sunday, she loved the race but as she's not been on here I won't post up her time.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, according to the press release the lead car diverted from the official route at Belfast. Yes, at least it wasn’t short!  For me, I’d have a nagging doubt in my mind about the time for my own records if it was a PB etc.  Don’t get me wrong, if I’d been awarded a GFA and London had accepted it I’d have taken it!

AH didn’t mention an injury but said that he found the 3hr pace too slow initially, couldn’t run freely, started aching, stopped for a drink and then couldn’t get going again. He’s obviously done a lot these last few weeks with JOGLE etc, so maybe it’s just a bad day for him. Good on him for finishing really, as he said the 3:15 pacer overtook him and then he knew the 3:30 pacer (Steve Edwards) would have been very close also. 

Robert, I did Yeovil Marathon the week after DD last year and had an absolute shocker :) Character building I think they call it :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well that's better than laying out an incorrect course and I think they've made amends in as much as they can.   
    Well if that ever happens to you you'll just have to go out the next week and run that PB again ;) 

I've twice run Yeovil a week after DD and never had a good run there.   Twice I've run Cork 2 days after DD and that was so painful :'(