Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I've been thinking about Robert a lot on my runs recently.  Robert, I hope you're seeing some improvement at least.

For the Doddle, I think there are effectively two lists - those that don't need the bus, and those that do (I would need the bus), but I'm not sure of the split so I'm not sure where I am on the "people that need the bus" list.  I've heard in the past that for some reason people don't tend to really transfer their entries for LDWA events, possibly because the prices are quite cheap?  This one is all managed online though so I suppose it may promote more people to go through the transfer process if they know they're not going to do the event.   I have emailed the organiser to try and get a better idea of where I am.

I had a bit of a light-hearted exchange with the RD of Seaview about people doing the wrong route.  It was all in good jest and no offence taken but I think I can conclude he thinks I should stop moaning.  Which is fair enough :)  It does open up the question of what route I'd do if I do the event again though because he has told me that the runners just need to get themselves to Minehead as they see fit and it's not an issue for him about how they get there.  But then he shouldn't really say to follow the "Acorn" in the event notes, the pre-event instructions or provide a GPX of the correct route.  I suppose that may be another group of people who did the wrong route this year - i.e., those like me who did the correct route one year, but then purposefully decided to do the quicker route the next time.  Maybe I'm overthinking this as he's pretty clear all the way along that it's not a race!  Not taking anything away from it - it's a great event, and I'd 100% do it again if it fits in with other things.  Times are out and HA's time was 3:32:50, mine was 4:04:41 and RA was 5:16:31.  RA is doing the 32-mile RAT in a couple of weeks and this was training for him - he's basically done no other training but he seems fairly confident he'll at least get around the 32-miles.

Shoulder is okay this morning after yesterday's fall.  There is a small amount of grazing on the knee, but I can move it okay.  There is an even smaller amount of grazing on the shin and the skin feels tight there but it's not infected or anything.  I do feel a bit achey on the one side, which is probably just where I jolted myself a bit.  I reckon I'll be okay if I want to do a short run tomorrow though, or I may just take another rest day.  I'll play it by ear.  Really I want to get to the start line of this week's Half feeling good as I want to try and get under 1:40 there, so this week was going to be less mileage anyway.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I am,I'm looking forward to the next couple of months,if I do chester,I may do it untapered as I dont want to waste a few weeks training easing off,if I did this would I need longer recovery?

Big G-Always seems strange when people say its not a race,but give times and positions,surely that in itself makes it a race? Parkrun being the biggest example.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, parkrun started as a time trial. It's become more than that now, but the timing element remains. It's not really a race, but there's nothing to stop people using it as one if they want to. My club had a mob match with another club at parkrun (their local and ours) and there was definitely a bit of racing going on there!

Glad shoulder is OK, Big G.

Shades, I think I would have died from the cuteness!

So, the bad news is my shingles patch has gone all sore and itchy again. It felt a bit itchy last week after Bikram yoga (there's a lot of lying down and then doing a sit-up between the floor-based postures, which I think irritated it because it's at the top of my butt) but it seemed to calm down again and then I did yoga again yesterday and it's been driving me nuts all afternoon. Not sure if the yoga's caused it or if it was getting itchy again and the lying down just made me notice it more. Ugh. Anyway, I don't actually feel ill so I've been out for a run. Did a progressive 6 miles (well, 5, plus a cool down): 10:30/10:10/9:38 (last year's MP)/9:23 (hopefully Yorkshire pace)/8:55 (next year?) and then the cool down was 9:45 pace, though it felt slower.
    The fastest mile actually felt easier than the one before it, but the one before is slightly uphill and I was running into a wind in a couple of places.

I was going to do yoga today as well but I think it would be wise to skip it.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Big G - Seaview 17 did look like a great route.
    Ian - Nice miles for a recovery week.
    17 miles for me on Saturday with last 3 at LT, went 6 @ 9:19, 8 @ 8:31 and final 3 @ 6:33 (6:31/6:29/6:39). Felt wiped out after that, not sure if that was because it was fasted (but I normally run fasted), but I do find those fast finish runs the toughest of the plan.
    Recovery 5 miles on Sunday, to get to 54 miles for the week.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, looks like Davey has won the 100MC Chairman role, subject to verification. It was close between 1st and 2nd with Davey getting 27.78% and JY getting 25.1%. 70% of members cast a vote. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Big G - I would imagine that not many LDWA don't turn up to do an event once they've entered, walkers don't seem to get injured in the same way as runners do.

Not much you can do about the short cuts taken at Seaview, as it's not a race or a distance that qualifies say as a marathon what is to stop the runners going which ever way they choose.   So reading between the lines I would guess most of the faster runners take the short route and that explains the good times recorded.   But if you do the event again and if the weather is awful or you have a niggle you can opt for the shorter route without feeling that you've cheated in any way.

RA is strong mentally and I don't think he ever does much training, for whatever reason. :/

Glad you're OK after your fall, maybe just a bit of bruising perhaps.

I was kind of guessing that's what Davey's 'announcement' was going to be.   I'm glad he's won the vote, not a good sign when only 70% of the club voted, just shows how little some of the the members have to do with the club.     However, having read his mandate, I've no intention of re-joining especially if they adopt the Half Marathon Club into the 100MC, although I can't see that being accepted by the members.  And all those tacky shirts. :angry: 

Ian - no if you skip the taper your recovery time will be exactly the same post race.

Cal - yes, a bit odd about parkrun.   They are adamant that they don't want parkruns to be races, that goes against their objectives, yet they've set them up on Po10 etc.   They don't have race permits.

That's annoying about your shingles patch, is it possible you have developed a bit of allergy/dermatitis just at that spot and the patch is no longer caused by shingles virus.   Probably aggravated by the heat/humidity we've had.

Steve - I'm not surprised you were shattered after that.   Maybe next time don't fast just to see the difference?   As you're not planning a marathon soon, there's not really much advantage running fasted for runs of that distance when you're training for a half.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Thats an impressive pick up at the end of 17.
    Decided to do a longer run today,its 9 days since solway and I'll be doing NY a week after frankfurt so wanted to see how it felt.Did 16.5 miles,felt ok until about 10 but then hard,maybe went a little fast early on but didn't feel like it,was hoping to do 20 but didn't have enough energy to continue without hurting myself for the rest of the week.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - Nice mileage, good decision to stop, no point causing issues to get a few more miles in.
    Shades - It's always the hardest session on the plan I find. Yeah maybe next time I can have breakfast before going out.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal/Ian/Shades, regarding parkrun not being a race, isn't it also something to do with them allowing kids at the events?  I.E., people under 16 (or is it 17?) aren't allowed in a "race", but they're allowed to do a parkrun if accompanied by an adult?  Personally I don't count parkrun as a PB as they don't seem to be accurately measured at my local ones in that the course seems to differ slightly depending on who has laid it out.  But if I want to a do a hard effort, I still keep an eye on the times for that particular course/event.

Shades, to be honest having seen the email exchange with the the RD, I'd just do the shortest route now, unless he changes it to specifically put a marshal there to direct people in the right direction, or put some tape up to define the proper route.  It's strange as I now remember him saying before the event that the route is either marshalled or taped most of the way, but he made a point of specifically saying that the bit into Minehead isn't marshalled or taped.

I am also not keen on Davey's proposals of potentially merging the 100 Half Marathon club with the 100 Marathon Club.  Seems a bit of an odd thing to do really - 100 Half Marathons is a massive achievement in its own right and personally I think is a separate club.  I'm also not keen on the all the shirt ideas.  For me, the point of the 100MC is the actual vest - those colours, with that logo, and that text, mean something specific to me.  I'm not interested in all the other ideas around shirts for 25, 50, 250 etc. and I wouldn't want to see the club vest messed around with.  I was quite surprised that he won the election really, as I don't agree with his vision of the club around those aspects.  He's obviously a really nice chap, and I like him a lot, but I don't really follow the logic of what he's set out.
  • Options
    H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    The Dorset Doddle has a lot of steep hills/ steps on it and not very much flat. When I first did it (aged 15 with no training) I could barely walk the next day but felt ok during the event. Don't think I suffered too much the next time I did it but paced it according to the terrain.

Shades, you were also asking if I had run Barnstaple Marathon before, I haven't but know most of the route well. It will be a return to Marathon running for me the previous one was in 2005 although I did one as part of ironman distance in 2013. In between these dates I've ran on and off (mostly off) and only returned to regular running March this year. I'm pretty pleased that I'm back to doing 20 miles and feeling comfortable at the end.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Honk, it sounds like one of those that I won't be running very much if I do get a place :)  I'm 10th on the waiting list for those that need a bus.

Did a very gentle 4-miles this morning.  A few aches and pains after that fall, but I don't feel that a run would have made them any worse.  It felt much fresher again today, so it was a nice run out.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, I count parkrun as a parkrun PB. On Power of 10/Run Britain, they are counted separately from 5Ks so that's what I do.
    And unfortunately, it *is* shingles. I don't understand why it's reactivated but I spent most of yesterday with a horrendously itchy butt (the patch is at the top of my crack which makes sitting/lying rather uncomfortable to say the least.
    Decided to take a rest today although I am going to go to pilates. I've run three days on the trot so I am due, even if I don't usually rest on Wednesday. I don't feel too bad beyond the sore itchy patch so I don't think I'm going to take time off or anything.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ian - I'm sure you'll find Frankfurt and NY easier than your experimental run yesterday.   It's always so much harder in training plus you should have cooler and less humid weather and that helps.    

Big G - I think the main reason that parkrun isn't a race is that a race is the last thing they want.   Their mission is for it to be a non competitive event encouraging new and those that think they can never take part in a such an exercise/event to join in.  The bonus is that then they can have children too, I think the UKA rule is 11 years old for a 5km if it was a race.   Probably a big mistake to put in on Pof10 as now many treat it like a race.  As long as they have PL insurance then they don't need to worry about if the course is short/over/altered nor the many rules if the event was permitted, like first aid, number of runners and what facilities need to be provided.   Plus permitting parkruns would incur extra costs and more work too.

Did you see that programme on BBC a couple of weeks ago about parkrun?   Although I have no interest in ever doing a parkrun I find the concept interesting and I expected the programme to be motivating and inspirational.   It wasn't, in fact it was pretty awful, partly maybe Kelly Holmes was not the right person to present it, she was dreadful.

Maybe those runners that this year took the shorter route at the Seaview have in the past had a similar discussion with the RD and now they take the shorter option.  The RD can't really offer 2 distances as then 2 sets of results would be required and as it's not really a race, a bit pointless to make it so complicated.

I don't think Davey's success at being the new Chairman is anything to do with his mandate.  I think it's more to do with the welfare policy which he wrote but was never implemented, the anti bullying and the hope that he is the person to stop the appalling behaviour on FB, plus he is well known and well liked.

You've still got a couple of weeks so you might get a place in the Doddle yet :)

Honk - I guessed the Doddle was tough, I went to school in Lyme Regis and the terrain there is as severe as the Doddle, plus I remember 100MC runners saying it was very steep and often very hot too.

That's a great comeback to marathon training, mind you if you were doing an IM that probably improves your overall fitness.  

Circuits for me this morning, good class again. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - xpost.  Oh that's bad news it is shingles, especially so soon after the last spell.  Do you have to take another course of meds?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I haven't been back to the docs - I figured it was too late for meds. I don't feel as bad either - it's just annoyingly itchy and sore (though it was definitely worse yesterday).
    I decided to sack off the pilates class - the idea of pouring myself into close fitting yoga pants was really not appealing. I could use the rest.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I lurk on occasion and wanted to add that I have run The Seaview 17 as it was called back in 2005, it was not taped off or marshalled back then and I ran 22 miles as I got lost and was afraid to cut it short.Very rough ground as well(it is where I ruptured my Achilles and had to have 9 years out of action) so do be careful.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Sorry to hear about the shingles again!
    Big G - Like Cal I count Parkruns as PB's, but that's also as I've never ran a 5k race!!
    10 miles with strides on Tuesday and an easy 7 miles today!
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Morning peeps hope you are all well and running happy.. Its been a little while since I last popped in to say hi. It's been a manic few months with changing clubs and training for OUTLAW etc. The training went well and when i got into open water, the distances took care of themselves.. 
    Outlaw was to be my first tri but a friend of mine encouraged me compete in a  standard distance tri so i could  get a feel for mass start swimming and transitions. I entered a local one to me (only 5 miles away) and enjoyed it immensely. Aside from the minor panic i had in the water where i forgot how to swim, i felt the day went well.. I did the 1500m swim in 32:58, the 26mile ride in 1:17:00 and the 10k run in 39:21. i finished in 49th place out of 109 so the top half which i was happy with.

On saturday morning we drove to Nottingham for Outlaw where we were camping over 2 nights. my nerves were pretty shot and my head was all over the place but i guess it was normal.. We set up the tent, i racked my bike and put my kit on my number and met up with some of the other pirates and spoke about how we were going to deal with a soggy course. After dinner we went back to camp and attempted to get some sleep but it was tough cause it rained all night and the nerves. My alarm went off at 4am so i got up, made some breakfast and got my wetsuit on and headed down to the start. we all gathered and at 5:50am we were allowed into the water for a 6am start. The race started and i held back a bit to let the masses go off so i could try swim in clear water but it was futile so i did the best i could even though i kept swimming into peoples feet or being hit on the head by spinning arms... The 2 laps went quite quickly and i exited the water in 1:31 which was my target time but was pulled aside to which i thought "OH SHIT AM I BEING DISQUALIFIED" to be told that due to flash flooding, the bike course was being cancelled. Needless to say we were pretty frustrated but it was the correct call with athlete safety in mind.. the marathon was to still go ahead starting a 9am in 3waves. it was a chance for me to change and get some food. At 9:15 I headed to the start and started my run at 9:20. Its a course i do know so i was able to focus on running.. considering the conditions i was happy to finish the marathon in 3:13 for a total time of 4:44 and 117th out of 925. 
    Not sure what my next race is yet but I might look for another tri before the end of the year.. 

Proof that pirates can fly...  :smiley:
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I suppose once the virus kicks in it's too late for the meds to be that effective and as you don't feel ill best to do nothing.  This humid weather must make the sore patch itchy and not great to wear lycra.

WP - how are you?  I didn't realise you did those tough off road events.  You probably don't do them now after that damage you did to your achilles.  I remember how long it took you to get back to running again.
    I won't be at Great Welsh next year, clashes with Taunton.  I am doing an event at Margam Park in September and I might do another of the Infinity Running events next year too. Have you done any of their events?

Iain - fantastic result at your IM.  Nothing you can do about the weather.  I'm sure you'll do another as perhaps unfinished business.  I was following you on the tracker.  Tremendous achievement from where you were with your swimming to a mass swim of 2.4 miles.  Have you changed running clubs or gone to a tri club?

Great pic, you've still got those pink socks.  ;)
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Shades- I am fine after broken foot last year this year is going really well lots of 5k's and 10k's which I never do and enjoyed them in a mad way especially all through the Summer!Hilly and hot a lethal combination :)I was down in Tenby last Sunday. I used to love the multi terrain races,cross country for club etc but that was the one and only race never to be repeated.I found my mug for finishing the race it was the 50th Anniversary of Exmoor National park and 2004(unless the mugs were given out as I had thought in 2005) .It has been holding my pens  ever since as if tormenting me or as a reminder how far I have come post Achilles.
    What a shame about the Great Welsh think that will be 3rd year we have missed each other. Margam Park what race is that?I just had a look is that 8th September? I see they do shorter than ultra and marathon's but the terrain would concern me but I shall keep a watch on website not one i have come across before.We were in Margam Park back in June for day out and lets say the terrain wore out OH's battery in his scooter.I hope free parking for your event as parking was £6.

How has your year been in 2019?
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I saw the parkrun programme was on. I started watching it but didn’t finish it as I also thought it wasn’t brilliant!  I love parkrun but that show didn't do it that much justice I didn't think.

Iain, well done on the IM.  Do you reckon you'll give another one a go at some point in the future?

Welshpoppy, sorry to hear about your achilles issue when you did that event!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - how did you break your foot?  You've obviously made a good recovery to be racing again. 

I've had quite a good year so far running wise.

I won't be doing Newport either next year as that clashes with Connemara.

The event I'm doing at Margam Park is 22nd September.  Think some is tarmac and some good trail.  I had originally entered one of their events at Tredegar which was 95% tarmac, but that was cancelled due to low entries and I switched to one at Margam instead.  Parking is free for runners, I think they have use of a private area as we have to use a different entrance.  There is a video of the course and it doesn't look too bad, 3+miles per lap, we'll see.  Maybe you fancy one of the shorter races.

Big G - glad it wasn't just me being over critical about the parkrun programme, just as well you switched off, it got worse.  It was supposed to be part of bringing the communities together in a difficult area in NI. Truly bad TV.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G/Cal-I list parkrun as a separate PB,mainly because it's a hard course and I'll never hit my 5k PB but it's the same course every week so a good measure.
    Cal-Hope it doesn't keep you ill for long.
    Very late decision to do my local 5k seaside run tonight,had no idea how it would go after 16 yesterday,and a 3 mile jog to the race,bit of a cross/tail wind for a lot of it so definitely helped,finished in 18:41,2nd fastest 5k,few guys who I best recently finished around 18:20 so hopefully I'm in decent shape again as without yesterday I'd have probably beat them.
  • Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - Ive just changed running clubs to one closer to me and it is a lot more social which i prefer. plus my OH has started doing couch 2 5k with the club and is planning to complete a marathon in 6 mnths time with the guidance of the coaches. My pirate name is Pinksox so I'm forevermore compelled to don them when in pirate gear..

Big_G - I've already been looking at middle distance tri's and will enter outlaw next year as i have serious unfinished business, and then I'm planning a 100 miler soonish but not sure which one.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's a really good result, to do your 2nd best time when you'd had a tiring long run the day before just shows the difference between training and racing.   I don't think you need to worry about Frankfurt and NY being close together.

Iain - great news about OH, 6 months to her first marathon is impressive.   

That explains the pink socks, they are distinctive :) 

Lovely morning, quite fresh, perfect running weather. :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Interesting Iain!  Best of luck with all that.

Ian, great time after a long run the day before.  Shows you're in good shape.

My shoulder was quite sore last night, and I'm not really sure why as I didn't do anything particularly unusual.  It's back to "normal" this morning, but as a precaution I'm taking a rest day.  This week was going to be a lower mileage week in any case.
  • Options
    Iain, well done - shame about the bike. Some of my clubmates were doing that one too. Glad you feel happier with the new club and good luck to your OH.

Big G, I expect it's an aftershock from your tumble. Sometimes pain takes a day or two to show up.

Ian, nice result for a last minute thing!

After doing very little yesterday (I went for a short walk, but didn't even rack up 4000 steps, very lazy!) I decided shingles wasn't going to be the boss of me so I went out and ran. Gorgeous morning and once I got going I felt fine so I ended up doing 9 miles. Shingles does make you feel a bit ropey and run-down but I feel a lot more ill when I have a cold. I felt better after the run so I'm not sorry!
  • Options
    Ian - Nice pace considering the other miles you have ran recently.
    Iain - Gutted you couldn't do the bike, but congrats on the rest, that's a great result. Exciting about your 100 miler!
    Easy 10 miler this morning.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Helloo Shadies, Have been lurking as usual but not got round to posting. Was hoping to have something interesting to say but unfortunately not. I am still base training but it is taking an extremely long time to build any sort of fitness up. Either I have a problem with my heart or my HRM. My heart I can't do anything about and a new HR strap costs upwards from 50€ so that's not an option either. My training HR should be 126 but to run under this I need to do at least 10k before I can say I'm actually running more than I'm walking. After that it settles down - well usually - but it's just taking so long. It's a good job I'm on holiday now as the time this sort of training takes is unbelievable, I don't remember it taking this long last time I trained like this, even though that was a good few years ago. I have been doing it for 6 weeks now.. is this normal Shades? Can my training base be so awful?
    I am going to keep it up for August as I am bloody minded but once I start school again there's no way I can find the time.. plus the fact that if I am planning on Cognac and La Rochelle in Novemeber I need to start proper marathon training.
    I have also changed my running routes too. I got so fed up of people I knoiw passing me in cars ""encouragingly"" punching their fists in the air and shouting "Allez allez allez!!!.. plus vite plus vite plus viiiiiiite!!!!" (faster, faster faster!) that I have now taken to the back forest roads where the occasional deer I meet has thankfully no comment to make.
    Anyway, that's my training news.. blanket well done to everyone for keeping up the mileage and a big well done to Iain.. looking good in that photo!
    Rob - really hope you are recovering too.