Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox - 6 weeks is still very early days into base training period.   However, you should have had a small improvement in that time.  But bear in mind that during that 6 weeks you've had awful hay fever and very hot weather.

Re your HR strap, have you replaced the battery?   I have to replace mine about every 9 months or so.  Not sure what HR you have but I thought I had lost/mislaid my HR strap a while ago and found a replacement on the internet for about £15.  Many of the cheaper HR straps can be synced with many more expensive GPS watches.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Hope the shoulder eases,don't want it going backwards again.
    Managed an easy 8 miles after work,legs were a little sore so not worried that it came out slower than usual as the effort felt the same.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for your reply Shades. The hot weather does make a big difference, and my asthma was pretty bad.. but it's cooler now and I'm still having to do more walking than i think I should. That is a bit reassuring that you think 6 weeks is pretty early - but I'm sure I wasn't walking so much last time. I have had 6 months off I know..  With regards to my HR strap, it's a Garmin one that came with my watch (a Forerunner 620). My watch tells me when the battery is running low and I changed it about 2 months ago so I don't think it's that, maybe the strap itself? I'll have a look around to see if I can see any cheaper ones, I've only quickly looked on Amazon. I'll keep on with my base training though, as looking at my stats my ave HR has been higher for a while compared to previous years. We're off to the coast on Saturday and I'm looking forward to getting some running (walking) done in some of my favourite places. Fabulous early morning running on wild beaches with no-one around.
  • Options
    Thought I'd pop in to say hi.

Seen that not much happening from Gloucester marathon
    https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a776177/gloucester-city-marathon-cancelled

also seen a few changes with DD next year HQ/ start/finish.

As for myself leg is healing and more mobile, no longer needing the crutch/es to move about.  I'm still under the watchful eye of the hospital and have to dress my leg, the tissue seems to be growing back now just waiting for the skin to grow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good recovery from that speedy 5k.   What is your next race?

mamafox - from what you say then I don't think there's anything wrong with your HRM sensor, I assume that's where you changed the battery not in the actual watch.   There shouldn't be any problem with connectivity especially in this warm sweaty weather and as female you won't be using the full strap so no chance of sensor slipping out of place.
    However, I just noticed in your first post yesterday that you said your HR doesn't settle until you've gone further, say over 10km.  That isn't right, as with HR training you would expect the HR to start rising at the same pace over increased distance as cardiac drift kicks in.  Can't think why that's happening unless you go off far too fast and then that would take quite a while to get HR back down.   One thought, any chance you could be anaemic again?  Signs would be higher HR and shortness of breath due to reduced aerobic capacity, unexplained tiredness? 

btw did you get a chance to do your MHR test?   If you haven't do it now before you get back to full fitness as so much easier to do.   Don't do it if you are/or think you could be anaemic.

Have a lovely holiday. :) 

Robert - so good to hear you are recovering well and no longer need those crutches.

I was talking to the DD RD and he was telling me about the new finish and he was saying how it's going to be much better than outside the Plume of Feathers.   It's close to the school car park and where we collect our numbers so will be much better, he said there's showers etc there too.

Thanks for the link re that article. that's so badly written.  The journalist seems to have confused the years and muddied the waters a bit by posting quotes that relate to different years.  Big G had a reply to his email to the race organisers earlier this year.

6 miles this morning, lovely and fresh, it's a shame it has to warm up later in the day.
  • Options
    I bet that was very uncomfortable during the hot weather last week, Rob. I remember it being a hot week after I had foot surgery and had it in bandages. I ended up changing my own dressings (which I wasn't really supposed to do) because they got all gross.

mamafox, I really wouldn't have the patience for that. I hope it works for you.

I went out today. It was supposed to be 4 miles easy but turned into five miles with the first three at steady (fast easy) pace and the last two at MP. Oops. Wasn't intentional - just go into a rhythm and was enjoying it.
    Arse crack isn't itching now (it is sore to the touch but the rash seems to be hardening up again) and I feel OK so the 9 miler yesterday didn't do any harm.
    I'm going to venture into Surrey for Mole Valley parkrun tomorrow, around the Denbies Wine Estate. Some of my clubmates are going as it's near the SDW route which a few of our ultra peeps are doing. By all accounts it's a beast of a course and mostly lumpy grass so I've a dilemma about whether to wear trail shoes (more suitable for the surface, but low drop which runs the risk of angering my achilles) or my Epics (easier on the achilles but they have a wide base which makes it easier to roll my ankles on the lumps). I did wear Epics for the trail race I did and they were OK, but not sure how they would be bounding down the downhill bits. Hmm.
  • Options
    MF - Good to hear from you. I'd say you need to give it a few more weeks to see how it goes.
    Rob - Glad you are recovering.
    Cal - Sounds like a good run!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rob, glad to hear you're recovering.  Are you back at work yet?

Shades/Robert, the RD was looking around for a new place pretty much straight after this year's DD.  Over the years, relations have soured a bit with the Plume.  I remember a few years ago someone was celebrating their 100th and the landlord made a fuss about cutting/eating the cake on the premises.  This year he abruptly stopped the disco early.  I didn't want to mention the changes on here until they were officially announced, but Chair is very hopeful it's a change for the better.  The new place is licensed as well I believe and on occasion the race is sponsored by a local brewery, so he's hoping to get a keg or two of beer...

Cal, sounds like a good run.

MF, good to hear from you and enjoy the beach running.

OH had a meeting in Totnes this morning so I got a lift with her and then ran back along a trail. Very nice 7-miler.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - glad you're feeling OK, at least these outbreaks of shingles seem to affect you less each time.

Tricky choice re the shoes, lumpy grass is horrible to run on but if you're not going to 'race' it maybe the Epics and nurture the achilles.

Big G - Chair was telling me of the changes when I saw him at Chudleigh race, he's really pleased as he says a much better venue with everything close together.   Not that anything is that far apart in Princetown ;)    he's updated the DD race page with the changes.   Also says entries open 1st November.  :)
  • Options
    Shades plenty of poorly written articles on the web these days.  Just seems to be about clickbait and bombarding you with requests to subscribe or adverts.  I'm not going to enter DD next year purely as its only 3 weeks after NDW50 however will speak with Elle and maybe arrange a trip to cornwall the week before, I can always hope to get a spot on the waitlist.

Cal, Mole Valley is on the North Downs Way, near Box Hill, keep an eye out for the 100 mile runners out tomorrow.  Heard its a lovely parkrun, one I wanted to do in the summer and then take in Denbies.  Last week was awful in the hot weather, not so much during the day but when trying to sleep it was awful.

Big G, back to work a week on Monday, was told I could go back now but I didnt want to bother the surgeon too much asking him to redo a letter to allow me to work.  Sounds like some positive changes.  Surely it was a big earner for the plume? people camping, eating, drinking in the pub?  Similar we've had issues with one of the businesses that share the site at westmill parkrun.  They have got the arse for no reason yet the parkrun does help support them and has very little impact.

MF, still no grumbles from the PF? Once I'm back up running I'll see how I go, need to try and do some s&c with it and the recent injury.

Tomorrow going to volunteer at parkrun, hopefully it doesnt rain!
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Cal - I am running out of patience.. it's just sheer bloody mindedness that's keeping me going. Glad your shingles seems to be on it's way out. Why do you keep getting it though?

Rob - Relieved to hear you are on the mend too. No, absolutely no problem with PF since my magic injection  :)

Shades - My HR always starts off high and I nearly always walk the first km or so before it drops so no chance of going off too fast! Then it takes me at least 10k before I can do some consecutive kms running. After that it often drops right down to 60 or so and stays there for a while. It's so frustrating as often at the beginning of a run I feel full of energy but my HR is sky high so I can't run.. then when it drops to 60/70 I actually feel tired and even if I try and sprint I can't seem to bring it up again. I just don't understand this at all. Not sure about anaemia, hadn't thought about that. I get tired when I run but I thought that was because I'm not fit enough yet.. which is why I started base training. The rest of the time I haven't noticed being any more tired than normal. 

I've just realised I'm turning into the thread bore. Sorry everyone!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, to be honest, as long as you’re not going stir crazy, as the doc has signed you off I’d take all the time. Work will still be there when you get back but I’d take the time to recoup. I had 7 months off in 2014/15 and felt I needed it at that time. I’m sure some at work thought I may have been taking the p*** but I was totally honest with the GP and he signed me off.  I worked for a big company and still got paid though, which was a big help - I was very, very well looked after at work.

I think the DD could end up being better as I believe everything will be in one place now, for the whole weekend. One advantage from the organisation point of view is that they won’t have to move the bags from HQ to the finish.

1st Nov is in my diary. I’m planning on entering it again. 
  • Options
    MF, good news about the magic injection! 

Big G defo will have DD at the back of my mind, and also when/ if considering races in 2021. 

I'm also fortunate with my work too, I know I defo get upto 6 month full pay, maybe get 12 months as been there for 5+ years.  Unfortunately 20% of my pay is made up by bonus which I'm not receiving for July and Augusts pay and Septembers won't be fantastic either.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    No-Good to hear you're improving,hope work goes ok when you go back,how long have you been off for?
    Big G-Hows the shoulder?
    Cal-Glad the shingles wasnt too disruptive.
    Shades-Ive got a 10 miler next weekend,OH is doing it also so should be a  PB for both of us.
  • Options
    Ha ha Rob I meant NDW - I get them mixed up. Yes, I think the idea is we meet at the parkrun then go on to cheer the folks doing it (rather them than me! Although who knows what I'll get up to in the future).

mamafox - no idea! My body hates me?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - re DD, so if your recovery is good after NDW then you'll maybe look for a late place at DD.  You should have no problem getting a late place.

Great that you're going to help out at parkrun tomorrow.   I expect you'll be glad to get back to work too and get life back to normal.

Mamafox - that's not right. Maybe there is something wrong with your HRM after all.  Your first mile should be the lowest one of the session and if it's dropping to 60 during the session that shouldn't happen unless you stop and sit for a while.  Definitely not right. Try changing the battery again in the sensor maybe that might work? 
    If your watch also had optical facility for HR maybe check that the readings you're getting are from the chest strap and not from your wrist.

I think if you were anaemic you would notice the tiredness away from the running, especially as you have a busy lifestyle.

Ian - hope you both get your PBs, will be another step for you towards your GFA target.
  • Options
    Ian by the time I go back it will be 7 weeks! 

Cal, can only comment on the 1st 50 miles of the NDW but they are beautiful miles! (well the 1st 40 of them are).

Shades, FYI I have no marathons for the list in September, depends on how I go I may consider walking a local one in september.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It better be a PB,only done 1which was 2 years ago and my HM pb is 30sec/mile quicker.OH has never done 1 so guaranteed.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, the shoulder is okay in that the run wasn't too bad this morning, but since that fall it's gone backwards a couple of weeks overall.  I've a Half this weekend so not sure how that's going to go - I was hoping to get under 1:40, but I'll just have to see how it feels on the day.  Planning a parkrun tomorrow at an easy pace, and if I do the Half it'll only have been 30 miles this week :(  As I type this though, I'm still confident I'll get around the first marathon I've got lined up.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Was time for a cut back week anyway.
    8 after work brings 45 for the week,may not get to run over the weekend but 45 was my target for this week so happy with that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - so good to hear you making plans, you must have cabin fever being sidelined for so long.   It will be a pleasure to put your name back on the list again.

Big G - did you ever get round to asking your physio about taping your shoulder up?

Ian - mileage on target before the week is over is a good place to be.

Rest day for me today, race tomorrow.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I did ask about taping it but the NHS Physio didn't really say much about that.  She's been great but I did wonder if she maybe didn't know about that.  I have an appointment with the consultant again later this month.  I need to try and get across that although I'm still doing the physio exercises, even before I had my fall it was still quite sore in certain positions.  The fact that I can't really do much around the house - even basic things like putting up shelves - means it's not right.

Shades, I've finished those two books you leant me months ago!  I'll bring them tomorrow if I come (I'm planning to) and try and hand them over.  If we don't see each other, maybe meet up for coffee in the near future.

Ian, yeah, I was planning on doing maybe 40ish miles this week so it's not too bad in that context.

I went and did my local parkrun this morning and had a nice run out - in the end!  The first mile wasn't great (I just felt very sluggish and ploddy) but after that I got into it and did enjoy it.  Looking ahead to next weekend already, I'm hoping to go and do Severn Bridge parkrun on the way up to Shrewsbury, but it very much depends on if I get up and leave on time!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - maybe the consultant can advise if taping would help when you're doing a marathon.  Of course OH would have to be on board as you wouldn't be able to tape it yourself :D 

Yes, bring the books but we have a knack of not always being parked near each other so coffee would be good.   I'll also be at Plym Trail.   I'm way behind with reading my RW, must try and catch up and then pass them onto you....I'm not sure what I do all day ;) 

If I were you get up early next week, that's normally the weekend I drive to Bristol airport to fly to the IOM and I've had horrific delays on the M5 that weekend, holidaymakers :#
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shadse, I briefly forgot about Plym Trail.  If not tomorrow or for coffee then, I'll definitely hand them over there.

I'm just working out what time to leave tomorrow and looking at the race instructions etc, and found the route on MapOMeter.  It looks runnable and, dare I say it, quite a quick course but there's a hill to get over towards the finish by the look of it.  I'm going to need to keep that in mind if I want to get under 1:40 as I think it will be tight for me anyway, and that mile or so will definitely be a slower mile for me!

Also, just read the race instructions and saw we get a cake at the finish :)  I paid £14 so seems another very good value race so I may consider it for the Club Champs next year.  I wondered if the distance from Newton Abbot may put people off but then North Dorset Village Marathon was in the CC this year, and the Half is a later start than that race.

• Options
    Big G, Severn Bridge looks great - I'd love to do it but haven't been on that side of the country for many years.

As for me, I did Mole Valley. Sunny, warm and quite humid and I knew this was a tough one. However, it is a lovely location, around Denbies vineyard near Box Hill - quite unique! I met a few of my clubmates there then headed to the start. It began with a circuit of a small grass field, which was lumpy and probably my least favourite part. We then headed up the first climb past rows of vines. It isn't really steep but it quite a long drag, still on uneven grass, and quite a lot of people seem to walk it. (Not me though!). Then you hit a corner and run downhill (more of a slope, but it's nice after the preceeding hill) for a little way before turning another corner and running up hill again. There's a brief respite and then a smaller but steeper hill followed by a short steep downhill. Then you turn left again and most of the rest is downhill with a couple of flat sections, and this was glorious! I did the first mile in 9:23 (44m up, 10 down), the next in 8:18 (50 up, 36 down) and the last in 7:55 (45 down). I even managed a finishing surge at the end. My total time was 27:07 which I think is fine for a course with a lot of climbing on a warm day. I did rather enjoy it.
    My clubmates all went on to cheer the NDW competitors but I opted to head home as I was very sweaty and my shingles were starting to itch a bit, so I figured standing around in sweaty shorts wasn't going to do me any favours.
    I decided to eschew the farm shop in spite of the 10% discount parkrunners get there, since I have to watch my money at the moment, but it's worth bearing in mind if anyone here ever fancies doing it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Big G - I've done Stur Half quite a few times and have run my 4th best time on this course, I was on for a PB that day but blew up at 9 miles.  I'd run a marathon PB the day before so knew another PB was a tough ask.  The other times I've run it have been close to my slower times, it's often been very hot, it's inland so no cooling breezes.  Once over the final climb there's a beautiful short section called the Avenue of Trees, think that might be a private road, but it's stunning and I find an uplifting part of the final mile.  We finish on the field where we park for the marathon.

Re your timing ,we have to walk to the start, about 10 minutes away.
    Yes, race is sponsored by Honeybuns, usually a flapjack or brownie, gluten free.  They usually have tables and chairs on the field and you can buy coffee and more cake after the finish, nice friendly atmosphere, presentation done on the field too.

Cal - that's a good run on a tough course.
    I agree re the discount for the farm shop, not much help when you're budgeting.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good pacing by the sounds of it.
    Shades/Big G-Good luck for tomorrow.
    No running for me today but daughter is home for a week so dragged OH to her first parkrun.She started too far back as she hasn't raced 5k before but enjoyed taking over people once it got going.As an added bonus she won the family duel.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Well done to her, Ian!
    Big G - a bit rude sticking a big hill at the end! I guess the cake is to make up for that. (I say this knowing full well Yorkshire has a big hill at 25.5...)

I got the 16 miles done. I had some concerns as my left knee felt a bit dodgy yesterday which seemed to centre from either the top of the calf or bottom of the hamstring. I suspect it may have been a bit jarred from the fast downhill mile I ran at Mole Valley. I gave it a good roll and it felt OK this morning but had a little bit of a grumble between miles 2 and 6 (nothing major, just there) which I chose to ignore, and it got the message and shut up.
    I ran the Brockwell route and they've added a couple of carved wood items to the park since I was last there - a big conker sculpture and a bench with a frog on it. Rather nice.
    I got into a pretty good rhythm and the climbs didn't seem quite so onerous. On the last one inside the park, I caught up with an Asian lady and we had a little chat going up the hill, so I barely noticed the hill at all and somehow contrived to run a sub-10 mile without even trying.
    As I'd been going pretty well I decided to do the last few miles at MP and hit 9:30/9:30/9:28/9:18. Felt a bit tired and my left glute was achey but as a first proper long run of the schedule goes, it was pretty good (plus it's taken me over the 1000 mile mark this year).
    I'm not sure how far I'll run next weekend - I have a bit of a mad day on Saturday with Hackney parkrun followed by the Pride 10K (in close-by Victoria Park) and then back in the afternoon for Chaser's Sports Day event, which has races from 100m to 1500m, some field events and then stuff like sack race and egg and spoon race - plus a picnic. Depending on how knackered I am, I may just do the picnic. ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well done on getting your first long run of your marathon training done and dusted.   That is going to be a hectic day on Saturday

I think the hill at Stur half is a lot more than you have to deal with at York, I would guess nearly a mile uphill altogether in that stretch we did today.   At the top we go into the Avenue of Trees which was gorgeous and the only part of the course that was really cool.
    At the start Big G and I agreed it didn't seem too hot and the RD told me it was the coolest weather they'd ever had for the race, it was about 20 degrees at this time.   However, as with most races as soon as the gun went off the heat and humidity shot up, particularly the humidity.   I had a shocking race, by mile 5 I just couldn't keep my HR down, it was up to 147, so in the end I had to walk bits to try and get it down.   It was the humidity more than the heat that affected me, didn't get my HR down until mile 8 and only at mile 11 did I feel OK again and I had a good run for the last 2 miles, including the uphill bit.   Haven't had the final results but according to my watch 2:32:09 which equals my slowest ever HM, which was my first HM in1996!
    Apart from struggling with my HR, I loved everything else about the race.   No medal, we have a microfibre towel with a pic of the route, nice and light, useful to pack in race bag.

Also choice of chocolate brownie or flapjack, GF, haven't eaten mine yet.

When I got back to the car temperature was 28 degrees so it had warmed up a fair bit.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, good to see you earlier.  If it's any consolation, I had a terrible race as well.  Awful.  Like you though, it's no reflection on the event and it's definitely one I'll suggest for the Club Champs.

I probably did go off marginally too quickly being aware of the final hill and the 1:40 target, but really only marginally, and I just tried to make sure I was feeling comfortable, which I was early on.  I was going up the inclines more-or-less to pace, and a bit quicker than target pace on the downhills and flatter bits.  But at around 6-miles I was starting to struggle and the sweat was pouring off me, and my vest was stuck to me.  I was really looking out for the drink stations, which usually aren't really a problem for me on a Half (I'd hydrated as normal yesterday and this morning) but being they were cups I just couldn't get the water in me that I felt I needed.  I was having to walk through the stations and take two cups.

Still I trudged on but then on one of the slopes at around 10-miles I just...stopped running.  It didn't really feel like a conscious decision so I promptly kicked myself up the arse and got going again, but then felt a bit dizzy so consciously started walking for maybe 10 seconds.  This happened one other time, but (and not that I wanted to see others struggling) other people were struggling a bit around me too, in that we were overtaking each other for 2 or 3 miles.  With about a mile to go I wondered if I could get under 1:45, but even in that mile there was an uphill section before the final downhill to the finish, which slowed me right down again, and I ended up finishing in 1:45:24 on my watch.  Not a disaster I suppose, but definitely not what I wanted.  Also, the really annoying thing is that it's not what I feel I'm capable of and I know I've got to go out and do it in a race, but I'm just putting this one down as a bad day.  As I say, it's no reflection of the race - it's just the conditions got me.

Strava has a notice up saying they are struggling with traffic and everything is going slow so my activity hasn't uploaded to there.  No bad thing, on this occasion ;) 

It was a very strange thing seeing Steve Way go past me at roughly 6 miles.  I did see him at the start and know he's been injured, so I'm guessing this was just some kind of training run for him as I'd imagine he'll be a fair bit slower than he usually is.