Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha, Shades!  I think the biomes are brilliant. Great to look at and also good inside with all the forests/plants etc. They do gigs here and when the biomes are lit up, it looks fantastic.

Toe is fine, thankfully. Hopefully it’ll be ok for the double next weekend. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - from the pics I've seen the rainforest etc looks amazing from the inside but I'm afraid from the outside the pods are a blight on the landscape, even when lit up, wouldn't be so bad if they were in an urban environment.   They remind of the Telletubbies ;) 

Glad the toe is OK.
  • Options
    Stunning, Big G! I gather you get free access too.

I did Cyclopark parkrun, near Gravesend, so it was a tube followed by a train (not bad actually - under an hour for that part). The route from the station looked a straightforward 2 mile jog. I knew I'd hit a roundabout and would need to go straight on, then left, but when I went straight on I found I'd run out of pavement and left was a sliproad up to the A2. I realised I'd gone wrong and asked a passing runner who pointed me in the correct direction. Straight on was actually the middle road off the roundabout, which looked a bit left to me. Oh well - that's what you get for writing your directions on a bit of paper rather than using a smartphone like normal people (I detest smartphones).
    Made the parkrun with minutes to spare.

It's a double out and back down a straight path (not actually on the Cyclopark, but next to it) and the out is downhill but the back is, well, uphill. It isn't steep but it does make a lot of difference to pace. I ran what I think is my fastest mile in a parkrun - 7:46 for the first mile - but then came the turnaround and uphill so the next mile was 8:23. The final mile had both down and up and I did that one in 8:08, then kept pace for the finish (Garmin made it a shade long - 3.15 miles). Finish time was 25:32 which I think is a pretty decent time for a course with a climb. Still slightly annoyed to miss out on a top 10 ladies' position by one place, but I'd have had to have gone under 25 for that, and so far I've only done that on flat courses (and certainly not with a 2 mile jog on the way there with not much recovery). Only third in age group too - the two V50s in front of me were fast (one under 2 2 minutes and the other bang on 23).

Jogged back to the station and got my train home. Seven miles all told.

One thing I did do was try out my new hydration vest (I took it off for the parkrun but wore it to and from the station). It's a Kalenji jobby from Decathlon. I didn't use the bladder but got two of those squashy bottles. It's comfortable and I could fit a novel in it (I like to have something to read on the tube/train) but those squashy bottles will try to worm their way out of the pockets so not sure if I was doing it right. Any tips appreciated!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, in the mid-90s it was a clay mine, and it was coming to the end of its life. From pics I’ve seen, the area was a real mess at that time whereas now it’s very green etc. You really can’t see the biomes until you’re close to them - they just emerge from around a corner as the biomes are in the base of the old mine/pit. 

Cal, yes, free entry all day for parkrunners and spectators, which is usually £26 to enter. 500+ runners today, but it fluctuates heavily depending on when people are on holiday here - the cafe was packed afterwards though!  Today was mainly parkrun tourists I think as the pre-event briefing had 100s of people!  I saw last December it had about 70 runners which I imagine was mainly locals. It’s a great course - 3 laps but really nice.

We did a SkyWire ride this afternoon, which took us right over the biomes and grounds, so seeing it all from a bird’s eye view was good too. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - sorry can't help with the hydration best, have you bought this as part of your debut ultra planning or just for long run training? Decathlon staff are usually very helpful.

Big G - yes, I know the site was a clay mine before but still no excuse to put those hideous plastic looking pods on there.

I'm not surprised the parkrun is so popular, that's a fairly hefty entry fee.
  • Options
    Shades, mostly because my bottle belt doesn't hold enough water for a 20 mile summer run. But also because touring parkruns often involves a mile or two jog from the nearest station and I don't have a running backpack, so it solves that problem too.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, can’t help with those bottles either as when I use my bag I just use the bladder. For the bladder, one tip is to squeeze any remaining air out of it as it stops the water sloshing about. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Thats a great way to get free entry into eden.
    Cal-My 2nd marathon was around that cyclopark,didn't enjoy it at all.
    9.7 miles after work gives me 52 for the week so another good week,just missing a long run so need to do that next week.
  • Options
    Ian, the parkrun isn't on the Cyclopark itself but on a path that runs alongside. But as it happens, there was a marathon going on there at the same time. SVN, right?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a great idea to use the hydration vest when travelling to your parkrun etc.   Even a small bottle of water is an awkward thing to carry in a kit bag and seems to weigh a ton.

My new bottle belt holds 600ml which is plenty for me.  I also carry money just in case I want more (or a snack). :)   On today's run I didn't pass any shops but did pass 3 churches so could have refilled with water if needed.   I wasn't sure how far I was going so took a full bottle but only drank half of it.

Ian - without reminding you I guess that was probably your PW marathon at Cyclopark, thanks to your hamstrings crippling you if I remember rightly  :'( 

The marathon there used to be organised by Ian B, SVN took it over either last year or this year.

That's a good weekly mileage without a long run, mind you the higher your mileage the less need for long runs anyway.

14 miles for me today, nice conditions, felt a lot fresher.  56 miles for me this week.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I did an easy-paced 4-miler last night as I just fancied a run, and then a 10-miler this morning on the route I was hoping to test the HR on.  The run went fine, but the HR test was a disater really.  "A bad workman always blames his tools" and all that, but on this occasion it feels justified.  HR was all over the place the first mile (peaked at 205 at 10min/miles, when it went to 192 the other day on a very hard effort where I was gasping) so I was going to discount that mile anyway.  But then after about 4 miles the strap was really bothering me.  I have it on the tightest setting but today it kept slipping down my body, which again was giving very erratic readings; 142 one second, a few seconds later 175, followed by 130 for example.  After that I just forgot about the HR but when I got home the strap was down by my navel as it had slipped right down.  Annoying!  I may see if I can pin the strap to make it tight enough, as when it gets wet the material stretches a bit which is the issue I think.  If I can't sort it out I won't be wearing it at the Half as it was a pain in the neck today.  No point mentioning the HRs or anything as they were all over the place!  The run went okay though and that's 45 this week (not including the parkrun yesterday which I basically walked in around 45-min), which isn't bad for me in the week after a marathon.
  • Options
    So I tried out the vest for a long run (18 miles, my furthest this schedule). I managed to get the bottles in so they don't want to pop out (I think I had them in the wrong pockets yesterday - there are two deeper pockets behind them so I used the ones in front for gels and the deep ones for the bottles). They hold 500ml each and feel rather heavy when full - rather like running a pair of large, unfettered breast implants. One thing I've learned today is that I need to lube up my neck and shoulders because the vest rubs a lot when the bottles are full (I was wearing a vest - a T-shirt would probably be better but I don't like wearing a T in Summer unless it's unseasonably cool). I knew I was going to lose some skin before I even got to 5 miles but I just got on with it. Fortunately the vest rubbed a lot less once I started to empty the bottles a bit.
    I did the Brockwell route but rather than just run the perimeter path as I usually do, I added a bit up the steep hill to the old house in the middle of the park, since that's what I thought the Runthrough race was doing. When I checked my route on Garmin Connect against the race map, I realised I'd gone up the wrong path - the one the race takes is the one I ran down and is not as steep, so that was something of a relief. I tried to attack the up path on the second lap and ran out of gas before I reached the top, so rather glad I don't have to do it at race pace.
    Also managed to prang my elbow on a wheely bin a mile and a half from home, which had me turning the air blue. What barbarians do rubbish collection on a Sunday? Lambeth Council, apparently.

Anyway, this brings me to 53 miles for this week, which is a bit more than intended (I was shooting for 48) but never mind. First 50+ week of this schedule too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - erratic readings for the first mile are usually caused by poor contact, wet the contact part of the HR next time and see if that helps.

Lots have runners have issues with the strap being annoying as not fitting well, you might want to have a look at a few forums and see if you can pick up some useful info.   As you have the strap on the tightest fitting and you're not an 8 stone weakling you might have to look at replacing the strap with a more suitable one.

It's much easier being female, don't use the strap just tuck the monitor under sports bra and it never moves!

Cal - LOL at the rather like running a pair of large, unfettered breast implants.   That made me laugh out loud.   Hope the chafing isn't too sore and the elbow is OK

A great week's mileage for you too

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've got 2 Garmin straps, unused with fittings as per pic below.   You're very welcome to them as I'll never use them.

I guess you could change the fittings if necessary.

I think they're both from my old Garmin 305's, they look identical but one stretches far more easily than the other.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades. Yes, I’ll try those out to see if they’re better than my current strap. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'll bring them on Saturday for you.  I have a couple of books for you too and some RW magazines.

• Options
    Hope everyone's well!!! Started back at work last week and hasn't been too bad.  My leg was swollen so mentioned it at my appointment on Wednesday.  Swabs, bloods taken and had an ultrasound scan.

Went today for the scan and found out I have a clot by my groin and DVT in behind my calf.  6 months of blood thinning tablets and got another appointment tomorrow to assess if there is an infection or not.  

A facebook memory flashed up today, course PB at Westmill parkrun and 10lbs weightloss and some smiley happy photos.  They seem along time ago and a long way away now!
  • Options
    Bloody hell, Rob, that's not good. I guess no running for a while. :(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Robert :(  Not good news.  Fingers crossed the appointment today goes well for you.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - oh no, you really are going through the wars.  Hope there's no infection and make a speedy recovery.   Is the DVT caused by your enforced rest?   Are you signed off again or can you still work?

You really deserve a bucket full of good luck now.

8 miles for me today, feeling a bit jaded but had a nice run, flat today.   Was hoping to see the barn owl again but no luck.  However, on the way home I think I saw a fleeting glimpse of my kingfisher, so hope he's come back as I haven't seen him for months.
  • Options
    Rob - Recover well.
    Big G - Looks like a great parkrun, bonus that you get free entry too!!
    Cal - nice parkrun and long run.
    Ian - Nice weekly total.
    Couple of miles warm up to parkrun, then got around in 18:49, so 9 seconds slower than my PB. Then 5 miles cool down to make 10 for the day. 3 mile recovery run on Sunday, makes 44 miles for the first cut back/taper week.
  • Options
    Hi Shades, aiming for a marathon next spring, and was pointed in the direction of this thread.

Have you still got this plan at the beginning of the thread? Many years ago!

Thanks.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Rob - Hang on in there, can't believe what you're going through. Does sound as if the medical team you've got are following you up pretty closely thank goodness.

Big G - My first kms are nearly always sky high until things settle down. I do think HR training is worth it. It's actually quite liberating not have to think about speed and it also occupies my mind during a run and I tend not to get bored. My most enjoyable marathon was the one I did completely on HR.. I didn't even look at my pace. The race plan was from a link that Shades gave me (I think it was an Italian sounding name beginning with "M") and it worked a treat. I had bags of energy and finished around 3:36 I think, which wasn't a PB but wasn't far off. Absolutely fab race. That is what is so annoying now about all my erratic readings as I wanted to go back to HR training but I can't. I can't afford any more weeks of walking and anyway I'm back in work soon so just won't have the time.

A good few runs over the last few days but HR still stubbornly high. It's got hot again here though so maybe it's that, I don't know. I'm just looking at the stats afterwards.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - you're in great shape, 9 seconds is very close.

Linton - yes original plans are still available.   Message me your email address and I'll send them to you in the morning when I'm back on my PC.

Mamafox - please be patient, it's the heat that will have your HR sky high again.  So please slow down and stick to your HR and you'll get the right training effect.  Just train to the time you have available not to distance and it will all come together but you need to slow down.

I think it was Marco, wasn't it, I'll put the link up tomorrow when back on my PC.  I've not used it successfully yet, I must try again.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Well remembered,it was a horrific day and probably the least I've ever enjoyed a race.
    Mama-How does it feel when you're running,if it is a genuine very high reading then you should feel it as you're running I'd have thought.
    Steve-With the amount of mileage you have done recently that's a great time.
    Rob-Gutted for you again mate,hope everything comes out ok.
    Cal-Great to try out these things in practise so you know what works and what doesn't.
    Very busy day yesterday meant no run.but got out for 8 after work today.1 thing I've noticed is my standard 6 after work is now turning into 8 most days which will help the mileage.
  • Options
    Ian, that seems to have happened to my sixes, too...!
    Hey Linton!

Rest day today (did some yoga). My chafed bits look quite nasty - there's a stripe across one colour bone and a round spot on top of the shoulder, plus some other red bits. Oh well, that'll teach me!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I went to a Trotters away run this evening, followed by a nice pub meal at a place called Nobody Inn. There were loads of us there and two groups - a 6-miler and an 8-miler. I’d planned to go into the 6-miler but it was a very large group so on a whim I jumped into the smaller but quicker 8-miler. Glad I did really as I’m sure the 6-miler was great but I think it would have been very stop/start, particularly on a fairly hilly trail route. There were 39 in the 6 miler and 12 in the 8, with 26 staying for food so it was a good turn out. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I too feel the pain when any of you have a truly horrible race :'(   

Those extra couple of miles here and there will all add up.  I expect the 8 miles feels no harder than the 6 anyway.

Cal - your mileage is increasing too without any significant effort.  

Ouch to the chafing.  

Big G - Do Monday nights seem to be taking over as the most popular night for Trotter training?  Is that pub near Totnes?

mamafox - here's the link for Marco, but you have to pay now to use it. https://feelrace.com/marco/
    I might have a look on the internet to see if there are any other similar websites with marathon HR calculator. 

6 miles for me today, a very cool and fresh 10 degrees here.   Darker in the mornings too but did see a beautiful red sky at dawn.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Next years plans are now taking shape,we are visiting New York again in April and I've tagged a couple of days for myself in Boston,just happens to be when the marathon is on  :)
    Predictions for the new cut off time are about 2 mins under,I'm 8:25 so pretty certain to be in so looks like from no majors yet,I'll have done 3 by April.
  • Options
    Ian, I am envious! I'd love to do Boston but I'd have to be under 3:55 (and probably well under) so nowhere near that yet. (Or I could pay through the nose with a running tour company, I suppose).

8 miles this morning, which was 7 miles easy/recovery pace and 1 mile with 8 lots of strides in it. Was indeed nice and fresh out. This kind of summer weather I can enjoy.

And of course I meant collar bone in my last post. Must have been tired when I typed that. :D