Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    One of the 40+ guys in my club got in with his sub-3...tough standards. Must be heartbreaking to work your socks off for the qualifying time and still not get in.

New watch arrived. I was tempted to go out for a quick jog with it but my groin's been niggly and I don't think it liked the Vinyasa class I did this morning, so I decided to abide by my planned rest day.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    From reading around it seems its 2:40 across the board for men and 4:15 for ladies.
    6 miles after work,always crazy how slow easy pace feels after a fast race.
  • Options
    lol i got 3 emails from Davey on tuesday, seemed all the same to me too.
    I have arrived back in Devon after a slow drive, 6 hours Rhegged to Exeter sainsbury's with a 5 min park at Strensham services to eat cheese sarnie i had. Excluding the shopping break 8 hours in total
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - does race info say 100% cupless or is the same as last time...

We are no longer using those plastic throw away water cups !!

Customer Feedback has led us to cease using any more plastic single use cups. In 2019, our Races will still have a great stock of water, squash, cola, sweets and savouries but we will quench your thirst in one of two methods;

a)    You will refill your own liquid carrier/camelbak/bottle from our supplies at the Aid Station.

b)    You will remain at the Aid Station and drink from one of our new compostable paper cups and dispose of it in the allocated bags.

Our new paper cups are compostable but are still classed as litter until they are disposed of correctly. If correctly disposed of, they will fully compost and cease to exist within three months !!

mamafox - I love seeing the deer too, we have a lot around here too, but this is the only place I've ever seen fawns.   I once heard this galloping noise on a track towards me and was as surprised as you that it was the hooves of a deer, as they're so quiet in every other way.

So good to hear you had an enjoyable run yesterday, ignore that Garmin message!

Cal - enjoy your new Garmin today.

Keith - welcome back to Devon, that was a long journey.  

Well quite a lot of the GFA applicants must be shocked and unhappy at not getting into London.   I wonder how many of the extra entries this year were due to this being the first time no GFA entries could be deferred, I guess that could easily be 500 runners.   We'll have to wait and see how many GFA applicants there actually were, if they announce that.  In the past I know a lot of runners would apply for a GFA place and then defer to the following year and not always due to injury but deliberately especially if they were moving up an age group.  Of course now they've tightened up on obtaining the GFA time when you're in that age group too.

I don't suppose 2:40 for the men is that unexpected but 4:15 is quite a lot for the women.  I think the obvious reaction should be to tighten the women's times by 5 minutes next year and maybe 3 minutes for the men?   What are the margins for the other majors that operate the same system?  Do they tighten their times the following year?

Rest day for me today 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I still wonder where those 100s of free places came from, that were given to those over 7hrs.  I don't expect we'll know that, but I really hope it's not from GFA.  For the 2:57:20 group, just a couple of years ago that was 3:05 for men though - it's seems a big jump being written like that.  For my age group it was 3:15 a couple of years ago, then changed to 3:05 and now it's 3:02:20....eeeek!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - they don't need to have extra places for those 7 hour plus runners, it can't be from the GFA.  GFA are announced as 6,000 places.   The 7 hour places will be extra places.  London set their own race limit.

Can you let me know about the email from Davey re the water please?   See my post above
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Boston is the main major who openly does the same as london,they moved their times 5 years ago and again for next year,they have moved in 5 min blocks for all age groups,which %wise works out better for the older amongst us.It got to 4:52 under before they moved it,next entry is September so we will see how much an impact the moving of times will be.
    From what I read Chicago moved theirs 5 mins last year,I think,and the others have stayed static.
    Big G-I doubt its come from GFA as they said that will be 3000 of each sex,more likely from the ballot spaces.
    Just checked last night and weds time was my first 80% wava,last 5k was 79.98% but I've had a birthday since.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it's same as last time - using paper cups, or filling up your own.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks.  Phew, was hoping it wasn't going cupless, if it does I won't do it again.   The nature of the drink stations means you have to stop and drink anyway, unless you carry cup to next station which I don't do so current arrangements are fine for me.   When I did an ultra that was cupless it added so much time as it was the pouring into my cup that took the time.

Ian - congrats on 80% WAVA, that is really very, very good.   

Interesting about the other majors, wonder what London will do next year.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Shades, yes, I don't like the trend for cupless although I know it's better for the environment etc.  But just from a running point of view, it's a pain.  Those How Hard Can It Be events are fully cupless in that they provide no cups at all - you can leave a bottle at the aid station, or carry your own cup/bottle and fill it when you need it.  There are people there keeping the supplies topped up, but it adds a lot of time to stop and refill.  When I did one in February there was a chap there with a CamelBak.  We were a similar pace but it was also surprising how far ahead of me he was when I got going again, as he just carried on through the aid station.  I also find the break in rhythm quite tough.  When training on long runs I rarely come to a dead stop, except to take in a view or something, so stopping quite regularly at those events is unusual.  It's partly why that system of getting a card stamped at the last event was annoying, and also quite tough to get going again each time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's OK if you can put your own drinks out, as you can at those How Hard Can it Be events.   At Plym Trail I don't mind using the same cup again and the nature of the route is that I'd only use 2 cups doing that which is pretty economical.

Trouble with a Camelbak although you can run on and not stop you are carrying extra weight and that awful warm sloshing water/drink would just put me right off.   When I did the 40 mile cupless ultra there was a runner about my pace and every drink station he got further ahead of me as he had a camelbak and I was stopping to fill cup and drink.  Eventually I lost sight of him, but at 30ish miles I caught up with him and finished 30 minutes ahead of him.
  • Options
    Interesting reading about GFA times! Looks like London is now like Boston in that you need to be a few minutes inside the time.
    Sports massage yesterday to hopefully get the legs feeling fresh.
  • Options
    Warm water is what put me off using my bladder last week but I will try it on Sunday. I'm wondering if taping my shoulders would be better than Vaseline. I guess I can experiment.

Anyway, the new Garmin had its maiden voyage. It will take some getting used to as it has an additional button over the 25 and the data fields are a bit different - I also wasn't sure what to press to save the run either but I got there in the end. It uploaded fine so I think the issue was with my old watch and not the PC. Anyway, interesting thing for me is that this one has an HRM. I know wrist is not as accurate as a chesty but it's interesting as a rough guide. I did 9 miles (was going for 8 but I wanted to stop at the launderette and 9 miles got me closer - plus I was enjoying my run). I was averaging in the 140s and it was pretty consistent. That seems quite high going by various calculators but my breathing was easy. It'll be interesting to see what it reaches tomorrow at parkrun, especially as I'm off to East Grinstead which is a very hilly one.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I have a friend that uses Kinesio tape as an anti chafe method in ultras, it works really well for her.   Maybe the vest will eventually soften up too, which would be good.

Glad the new Garmin is working well.   The HRM will be very accurate at rest just not when you're moving.  MHR calculators are only accurate for about 60% of folk too.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I'm sure you know but you need to get a max HR before that number means anything,mine is usually around 140 on easy runs and my max is about 186 so that's about 75%.
    When I had a vest I popped some ice in before I ran and it seemed to keep it cooler longer.
    With london I expect it to be 5 mins under next year as everyone will be knowing just under isn't good enough now.Had this exact convo with OH last night where I just said well I'll carry on finding european ones I like and just do them instead,nicer weather anyway.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it is a shame though.  I think the system is fair in that they have the 3000 places, and it's the quickest ones that get the places.  But for runners such as yourself who've been working hard to get there, it does feel tough.  I don't really know how else it can be done with the limited numbers available, as it does feel a fair system and in line with Boston etc.  Being honest, when it went from 3:15 to 3:05 for me (and now 3:02:20) it did disillusion me for a few months.  I've put it out my mind now though as now 3:05 (now 3:02:20) just isn't possible for me at the moment.  Maybe when I've got the 100 out the way (and I'm an age group older) it may be something to drive me on again.  We'll see.  For now though I'll just keeping trying my luck with the ballot.

I think one positive thing arguably is that the ladies times have got a bit tougher.  I think it's good for the sport as presumably more ladies have reached that higher standard/age grading, due to the qualifying times reducing so much (i.e., presumably there's more competition for the fixed number of places, so the times have had to drop).
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    There's a bit of a test for me tonight in terms of comparing to last year, to see how much speed I've really lost.  It's a 3k relay tonight and last year I did 11:08.  I just feel I'm no where near that, so it'll be interesting to see how I get on!  Last year the conditions were a bit crap (very wet with some wind) so it does look like it may be better conditions this evening.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's a great attitude to have about getting into London.   There are lots of lovely marathons around to do.

Big G - yes, we're all getting older and in theory if we all keep running long enough we should get a GFA even if we have to wait until we're in our 70's or 80's ;) .  

I don't think women's marathon times have improved it's just that more women are running marathons now and often will make up nearly half the field.  Weren't some of the women's times softened in the last change, my age group remained unchanged.

The only runners I really feel sorry for are those that are the very oldest, imagine if you're in your late 70's or even in your 80's and run a GFA time only to lose out.   

Good luck at the relays tonight.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I can’t remember the details now, but from memory I think one age group did get softer for the ladies. Wasn’t it something like they split a 10 year age bracket in to 2x5 year brackets and if you were in the older 5 year bracket the time eased a bit for one female category. I really can’t remember the details now though, so I could very well be wrong with this!

What makes me smile is that if I say to a non-runner that I need to knock in the region of 40secs/mile off to qualify, many would just shrug as if to say ‘that’s easy, isn’t it?!’. :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Yeah that's about right with the womens times,there was a couple that got easier,maybe around 35-45 I think.
    I'd still love to do it one day and I'll really give it a go,but now we have a bit more spare money now the kids have graduated we're using it to treat ourselves more and my treat is racing.
  • Options
    Got this off Facebook. Man, it was always going to be a struggle for me to get under 4 and now I need 3:55. :(
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Whats your thoughts on a 20 mile race 4 weeks before berlin?seen one in cheshire next weekend and considering doing it,I was always planning a 20 that day anyway.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes do the 20 mile race.  You know that you recover quickly from races, didn't you do 2 marathon PB's only a couple of weeks apart?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes last autumn I did hull and chester 2 weeks apart and was 5 mins quicker on the 2nd one.
    It should work out well,20 mile then HM then 3 weeks until berlin.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Torbay 3k went well in the circumstances, in what were good running conditions. I managed a watch time of 11:17, which I’d have happily taken if offered. I went off too quickly though as I did a 1k PB according to Strava, but all things considered I’m happy with my time.

I walked the 1.5 miles back home at a brisk pace as a form of cool down, and now getting ready for tomorrow’s marathon. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Just 2 seconds a mile off last years time is great considering what you thought.
    Good luck for the racers tomorrow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Ian - that will be perfect scheduling.   You can decide how you want to run/race the 20 nearer the time.

Big G - well done, that's a good result and only very slightly slower than last year, I expect last year was cooler too as we had rain I think.

Might be a warmish one for us today, I see 'feels like' is forecast to be 26/27 degrees for the latter stages, but hopefully we'll be well shaded for a good deal of the route.

Good luck to all racing this weekend.

• Options
    Well done Big G - and good luck everyone else.

East Grinstead parkrun today - a train journey into Sussex (which wasn't bad) and then about a mile walk. This one is definitely a cross country course and I wore trail shoes and was glad I did. Apparently it's a mud bath in winter so I was pleased to get this one done now.
    It was never going to be a fast time as it's on a mixture of lumpy, longish grass and rooty dirt path, with one steep hill you go up twice, a few other undulations and a lot of twists and turns. I finished in 27:25 which I'm happy enough with as I estimated around 28 minutes for this one. That was good enough for 5th lady but I was only third VW50. I checked the other ladies above me and first and third ladies were VW55s. You had to go back to 9th to find a 30-something and 10th for a 20-something - clearly the iron vets rule this one!
    Only a little grumble from the achilles after my second time up the big hill, which is good as I thought it would be a lot grumpier given I wore my trails (4mm drop). Groin niggles a little after I stopped, which has happened after the last few runs. Might need to see my physio if it doesn't fall in line - it's not an big issue now but I don't want it becoming one.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Plym Trail day 1 done, and saw Keith and Shades at race HQ. I was slightly apprehensive at the start as the temperature was creeping up already before the 9:30 start time, and I was trying to keep in the shade. I was hopeful that there would be plenty of shade on the main part of the course though, and indeed there was, but it still felt warm.

On the return leg of the second lap, the leader got overtaken and he looked in a bad way. He took his top off and started walking. When I saw him again a while later, he was sat on a viaduct, being sick and looking even worse. I offered him water and also some mint cake, but he refused both - and he promptly threw up again, and said he’d cramped badly. I really wasn’t sure what to do - it didn’t feel right leaving him there but he told me to go on and he said word had been sent to the marshals that he was in trouble. In reality there was nothing I could do as I had no warm clothes for him, phone or anything with me. When I got to the finish an ambulance had been called for him, but I wasn’t too sure how they were going to get to him as he wasn’t really near a road. Nightmare.

I was talking to him before the race and in hindsight I wonder if he’d put too much pressure on himself (he’s an experienced runner though). He said that he had a point to prove at his running club as he’d been accused of cheating last weekend at a local race, which he hadn’t, and he was livid about it (basically him and everyone else in front of him went wrong on a course that wasn’t taped properly, and a couple of people then started questioning some of his other results!!  Sounds like a nasty club!  The race organisers haven’t accused him of purposefully cheating and know where the issue occurred). He turned up today to show them what he could do, but it obviously went wrong, presumably because of the heat.

Anyway, I got to half way feeling okay - got there in around 1:52ish and at this point was confident of a comfortable sub-4. But I got to the 20-mile turnaround point in about 2:56 and just felt that the 6 miles back up the hill in 1:04 wasn’t going to happen today. I ran a mile, and then ran/walked the remaining 5 miles, finishing in 4:28. Possibly sounds like a cop out but if I’d ran all the way up I’d possibly have got 4:10 or something, but then I was worried about how that may impact me tomorrow. So I just tried to take fluids on, and that really was the best I could do in the circumstances, in light of the fact I’m hopefully doing day 2 tomorrow.

At the finish, unlike last year when I did this and went on to have a crap second day, I had a decent meal straight away. I had cheese sarnies with me and also chicken legs, so I tucked into those and tried to rehydrate with electrolytes too. Even with all that I was still 2lbs lighter when I got home so I need to keep fuelling/drinking for the rest of the day.

Also, the shoulder was pretty bad for the last few miles. I was noticing in my shadow that I wasn’t swinging the arm properly even when walking. I hope it’s going to be okay tomorrow. No expectations about time tomorrow - the main aim is just to get it done if at all possible. Also, the vest rubbed in certain places so hopefully I can keep that under control tomorrow too. I may have to wear a shirt instead of a vest.

So, an eventful day. Not the time I was expecting but it’s another one ticked off in what I found quite hard conditions.