Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I take it you're home this Christmas and not doing that long drive that you had last year, probably just as well as you've been poorly.   

At least it's not that cold out, it was even sunny when I walked down to the gym yesterday, had to put my shades on.   But it then rained for the rest of the day.

Cal - Yes, I too see the gym as a means to an end for my running.  I do enjoy it more than I thought I would, which is good, I thought I would find it more of a chore.

Rest day for me today as with no classes for the next few days I'm planning to run every day for the next 10 days or so.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, we're at home this year.  First year in our new place, and my Dad and his partner are coming around on Xmas Day.  OH is working until 6pm Xmas Eve but then has Xmas Day and Boxing Day off, before going back for the Fri-Mon working weekend.  Thinking ahead, she's working New Year's Day so although I expect we'll stay up to see the New Year in, it means that I am going to try and get up with her and go and do a New Year's Day parkrun double.  But I'll just have to see how I am with the chest, and also if it is raining heavily I won't do it.  Have you any plans for Xmas Day?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - will be nice to have your first Xmas in your new home.

I prefer to stay at home for Xmas, so for me it's run, eat, eat :)
  • Options
    That's exciting, Big G, and yes, great excuse for a parkrun double if you're up to it.
    I'll be up at Colin's as usual.

20 miler done today. Went out just before 6:30am and it was dark and drizzly. I took a meandering route up to Brockwell Park (all my routes to Brockwell are quite meandering - it's just under 3 miles direct but my shortest route gets me to the park at around 6.5 miles, and I'll often add to that and today it was closer to 10, since the park is not lit and I didn't want to hit it before I could see where I was going). However, after just over half a lap I diverted out towards Dulwich, did a lap of the park there (and ran past my old junior school on the way). There was a quartet of wheelchair athletes zooming around - the park is pretty much ideal for that as it has a wide road within it. It's also what makes the parkrun there so fast, even though it's not actually flat (one of the guys in my club ran 16:00 there yesterday and was only 8th!)
    Ran back to Brockwell where I completed my lap before heading home.
    The early dark miles were very slow again but I reverted to my standard easy pace on the second half of the run, which is a bit of a relief.
    I started to feel a bit tired around 17 miles in and was glad to finish, but I'm fairly happy with it.
    I'll get another (easy) run done tomorrow as I'm going to Manchester on Tuesday so won't have time then. Then, hopefully, parkrun on Christmas Day and maybe a run on Boxing Day too.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a good long run you did yesterday.

10 miles for me this morning, weather milder than expected and the rain held off so good conditions.   I went out before it was light and judging by the car park Tesco's must have opened early as very busy, on the way back it was heaving.   At Aldi about 50 people queuing up at the door, other folk not so anxious so sitting in their cars until the store opens.   So glad I don't have to do a food shop before Xmas, everyone looks so stressed and has that manic look on their faces :o 

Gym later this morning.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I think it just said on the news this morning that 13m people would be going shopping today.

I was in Lidl yesterday just for a few apples and some milk and there was a scene where a customer threw a chicken at a member of staff.  I shouldn't have laughed as obviously it's not very nice for the the member of staff who was only doing her job....but, well, it was an amusing situation.  You know things are tense in the supermarkets when chickens are getting thrown around!  (What happened was that the man had queued up to use the self-service checkouts which were busy, and he asked the staff member to do the scanning for him.  When she politely explained that she was managing 6 tills and if he wanted his items to be scanned he should go to the normal tills, the chicken went flying and he left the shop without his goods).
  • Options
    Good grief! (I might have laughed too, to be honest).
    Went out early for what I intended to be a longish recovery run. I had an idea I wanted to do 10 miles but since I'd done 20 yesterday and would normally be resting, I was quite prepared to do less if my body wanted it.
    What surprised me was that I actually felt OK, and while the early miles were pretty slow, the longer I ran, the stronger I felt and the faster I got. I decided on 12, but then realised I'd be a way from home when I hit that distance, so carried on to 13, and then did another little bit to make it a half marathon because, why not?
    Slight niggle from right post tib, and left foot still isn't quite right but it's better than it was early last week. Should be fine for parkrun on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - ha, ha, that's really funny.   I hope that chicken was his planned Xmas lunch.

I was in the post office last week and waiting patiently in a long queue.   A woman was at the counter complaining loudly about how last year presents she'd posted didn't get to their destination in time.  She went on and on and the PO assistant was being very kind and patient with her, but she was trying not to laugh as the complaining woman had obviously forgotten she had put some Xmas antlers on her head and the angrier she got the more she nodded her head and these antlers, it just looked so funny.   Several in the queue were laughing openly, it was worth the wait in the queue for that.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, just as well as it wasn't a frozen turkey he was trying to scan.....  I was actually watching the checkout person and she was running around in circles sorting out various issues on her six tills, so the chap was definitely being unreasonable.  But he was having serious issues scanning his chicken and getting more and more irate with the whole thing, and he just flipped.  Fortunately the worker saw the funny side, which in my mind made it okay to laugh. :)  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Not had chance to run the last few days,as you can tell by your posts it has been a little crazy in work.I'm hoping it is a little quieter today as since Friday it has been a lot busier than expected.I've had the time this week but after running around for 61 hours last week I had no energy after Wednesday.
    Had a couple of situations like that but not too many considering how busy we were.Anyone who gets nasty with the staff I just ban them,as no one comes to work to get crap.
    Anyway I'm in later today so managed 9 miles this morning,shop is always quiet tomorrow so should get a good week in this week,just checked and I am 58 miles behind my record total of 1800,it will be very close over the next 8 days to hit it.
  • Options
    Blimey Ian, I'm actually ahead of you for once - up to 1862 this morning (although I always round down so it's probably a little higher in actual terms).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Cal - well you're certainly recovering from your long runs well, that's another measure of an improvement in your fitness.

Hope your journey tomorrow goes well, guess that can be a stressful time to travel too.

Ian - you have my utmost respect for putting up with the public especially at this time of year, good for you for banning them if they're out of order.

Hope you make your mileage target but if not just let it go, you've had a great running year already.   I'm not surprised you're too tired to run right now.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles this morning, bit breezy but good running conditions.   Legs very depleted from gym session yesterday, I was upping the weights again.

Gym later, then the gym is shut for 3 days :(

I'll post the marathon list at the end of the week with any January races, so far I only have Iain's NYD race.

Big G - I won't ask you for your races as I guess it'll be a few weeks/months maybe before your next marathon.

Safe journeys to all travelling today and Merry Christmas to all Shadies, I expect most will be too busy to come on here for a day or so.  Hope you'll all be running tomorrow though ;)

• Options
    Happy Christmas, all!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Merry Xmas all Shadies!

Shades, I do have a couple pencilled in that I can cancel if I'm not up to it, but the main one is Marrakech.  I'm definitely travelling to Marrakech so hopefully I'll be able to do the race, but I'll have to see.  Marrakech is 26th Jan so I suppose that's a target of sorts, but if I don't feel that I  can run it then I won't.

I am feeling much better and decided not to take the steroids this morning (GP did tell me to stop taking them if I felt I was better, so I'll miss two days).  Hopefully I won't regret that decision but I did feel that I could have stopped them yesterday but decided to take one extra day's worth.  But "feeling better" does not necessarily equate to being able to marathons yet so I'll just have to play it by ear.  All being well I may try and run/jog some of tomorrow's parkrun, as opposed to walking all of it, and then see how I am.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    So much for me thinking yesterday may have been quieter,at least today always is from lunch time.
    Shades-I wont just run to hit the number.
    Another 9 miles before work today,we seem to avoided the rain a lot of the country has had so it was nice weather to run in.
  • Options
    hi shadies

not much to report, few parkrun’s and the leg pretty much the same!

hope you all have a good Christmas and hope to be back soon! 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well at least it should be warm in Marrakech.  Do they have a half you can drop down to?  26th January seems awfully soon considering how I'll you've been.  I would have thought March or even  April would have been the earliest to consider a marathon.

Good that you feel it's time to stop the tablets though.

Ian - roads and town definitely quieter here today so hope you're having an easier day.

Robert - have a lovely Christmas and hope 2020 is a much better year for you.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas Shadies. 🎅🎄🎅

Run done, not very nice out, heavy frost and a bit icy in places.   

Have a lovely day.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’ll have a look into Marrakech and find out about the Half.

I walked to parkrun, ran very steadily around it, and then walked back.

A good turnout - around 300 I think. I ran around with a clubmate in about 30mins and chatted all the way around, and it was very nice being out for my 40th of the year. Chest felt broadly ok, but a bit of a cough towards the end so let’s see how I am tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone. 
  • Options
    Glad to see you were able to run, Big G.
    Rob, nice to hear from you.
    Did South Manchester parkrun today while my friend slept in, plus a two mile run there and then back again. Flat course but one path had a lot of standing water which couldn't be avoided due to the "Ditch of Doom" that runs alongside it. But I'm very happy to get another sub-25 parkrun done, so legs seem to be recovering. Not sure of the official time as it's not been posted yet - they ran out of tokens and I doubt the results person will want to be dealing with all the manual entering on Christmas Day. But Garmin made it 24:44 which would be my fourth fastest parkrun on any course, and a course PB.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - great that you were able to run parkrun carefully.

Cal - glad you didn't fall into that Ditch of Doom and Colin was able to have his lie in.

8 miles this morning my favourite hilly route.   Nice and mild this morning but wild and windy with a little light rain.   Couple of scary moments when I thought the wind was going to bring some trees down but I had a lovely run, so much more enjoyable than when it's bitterly cold.   Very light traffic too today.
  • Options
    The results showed up late afternoon - 24:42 (2nd in age group) - both an improvement on last year. South Manchester has a lot of fast runners and there were nearly 700 yesterday. I hear Bushy had well over 2000!
    Returned to the same park today for a few laps (avoiding the wet paths) for 9 miles. Colin's sill asleep but I'm going to go wake him because I need coffee and breakfast. I had to sneak out without a morning coffee so as not to wake him. The horror!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I saw that Bushy had a record attendance of a parkrun (not just Xmas Day) - 2545 athletes and over 50 volunteers.  I've never done it, but it's on the parkrun list.

We had a good day yesterday.  I obviously ate too much, which is standard, and then Dad and his partner left around 7:30pm.  OH and I walked to the beach and back for some fresh air, and then watched Gavin and Stacey, which I really enjoyed.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - no pre run coffee, I hope Colin realises what a sacrifice you made doing that.

Big G - I think eating too much is the norm on Xmas day, one day will do no harm.

I haven't watched Gavin and Stacey yet, have recorded it.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Bit too much yesterday so felt a bit heavy today so ran 20.5 miles to burn it off,all ok but the last 2 uphill felt tough.Done and another long one ticked off though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that long run would certainly have dealt with any Christmas excesses :) 

I put about a pound on after Christmas day, ate normally yesterday and it fell off again thankfully.

8 miles this morning, perfect conditions for this time of year, a balmy 11 degrees, no rain and the lightest of breezes.   Birds were singing their heads off too. :)  
  • Options
    I'm not at home yet so haven't braved the scales. I'm not too worried. Ever since I ditched the dieting, my weight stabilises quite nicely.
    Getting the train home in an hour - lots to do once I get home. Back at parkrun tomorrow - Walthamstow is on, apparently, so I will be plodding around a muddy field. Joy.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    20+ miles on Boxing Day is great going, Ian!

Cal, safe travels.

Shades, I am not looking at the scales - I know I am overweight and need to get some weight off....again!

Planning a spot of parkrun tourism tomorrow.  It's a toss up between St Mary's (Bridport), Mount Edgcombe or possibly Woolacombe Dunes, which I believe is thought (calculated?) to be the toughest parkrun around.  But this all depends on if I get up on time, as if not it'll be my local one instead.  I'm currently on 24 different parkrun events so over the next couple of months or so, I hope to get to 30.  There is an opportunity for me to do two new events on New Year's Day, but again it really depends on if I get up on time!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I just went back to sticking to my macros with 30% protein and because I'd eaten a lot the day before I wasn't that hungry so my weight stabilised quickly.

Big G - but you've been poorly and not been able to get your normal exercise in.   I wouldn't worry about the scales, getting 100% well again and recover is more important right now than the scales.

Just been to do a food shop, I expected the shop to be heaving and was pleasantly surprised that the customers all seem to still be in bed, roads quiet too.