Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well the HR training has certainly helped you deal with the disappointment of postponed races.   Another goal to aim for is 3 months of the base training.

If there's any chance of racing in July then I assume club activities will also be happening so that might give you an opportunity to 'test' yourself over a shorter than marathon distance in company.

I should have been at Worcester today, but by choice I'd be at Windermere, such a beautiful course especially at this time of year.

I have just been planning my mileage for June and my next Hadd test is due on what should have been DD 😭

My next scheduled race is Goodwood marathon on 5th July, haven't heard anything from them yet.

Hopefully the toe will be OK tomorrow, could you tape it to protect it once it's started to heal properly?

Cal - that's a great run from you today, I've noticed pesky little flies too, common on my routes past the farms unfortunately.   A good week for you.

Is there any talk/rumours about Chicago marathon yet?

Thanks for that about Robert, he had a hip problem and probably hasn't been running much.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nothing from Chicago yet. I'm not holding my breath.
    Rob replied and yes, he's benched due to the hip. He doesn't have much luck does he?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I suppose Chicago will depend a lot on international travel and any restrictions/quarantines, think that race attracts a lot of oversea entries.

That's quite a while Robert's had that hip injury, must be so frustrating.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Cal-Rob was on a bike ride yesterday so at least he is getting out,had a rough couple of years.
    Cal-Another good run from you and a solid weeks training again.
    A club mate is meant to be doing Chicago,it was his 40th treat to himself,we are meant to be in the US in September so will have to wait and see.
    Should have been Chester half today,would have been a good day as it's a nice course and weather is perfect.
  • Options
    NWCBNWCB ✭✭✭
    So cool reading about all of your runs. I sometimes wish I could run in a different part of the UK everyday. Still, I'm close to the countryside here, so can't complain too much. Sad to hear that some of you are missing races... Windermere in particular sounds great!

Ran 5 miles at ~140 bpm today. Not much distance, but I'm still pretty slow at that HR, so it equated to just over an hour on my feet. Only had to walk twice, though, for about 10 seconds each time.

Aiming to total 17 miles this week. I imagine when I get to 20 mpw or more, I'll have to start adding a fifth run each week, as I don't have time to run for more than an hour on weekdays (work is very demanding atm)

Sorry to hear that Robert is out with his hip. I just had two weeks off with a hip niggle... not long really, but it was unbelievably frustrating. Allowed me to discover HR training though, which I guess is a silver lining.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's so frustrating, this Spring the weather has been perfect for racing.

NWCB -  Where are you based?  Apart from Big G and I living about 8 miles from each other here in Devon most from this thread are scattered around the country.  Mamafox is Welsh but lives in France.  But most of us have done races all over the UK and a fair few abroad too, hence our reminiscing about where we should/or like to be.

That's great that you got an hour's run today, you're making very good progress.  Don't worry if you can't do more than an hour at any one time, you'll still improve.
  • Options
    NWCBNWCB ✭✭✭
    Shades - I'm based in Cambridgeshire, just outside Ely. It's a very small city (I think the third smallest in England), so doesn't really feel like one, and we're surrounded on all sides by the country. It's extremely flat, so hill training is next to impossible, but you can see for miles in every direction. It's quite something.

Devon is beautiful - lucky you :) Are you near the coast?

I'm yet to have raced anywhere - was hoping to do a HM this Spring, but that's been postponed (and, tbh, I think will ultimately be cancelled). Always next year :)
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Hi NWCB, those are similar circumstances to me in that I was signed up to do the Brighton marathon in April which would have been my first. 
    Cal- What would you say is the nicest stretch of the wandle trail? Need to give it a go at some point

11miles for me today on my longer route through Richmond park. Felt great aside from the heat. Slower than yesterday but better than all the previous MAF runs. Back to back days of running feel fine at this pace but will take a rest day tomorrow as up to 35mpw which is slightly more than what I planned at this stage. My weird hamstring twinges are still there but not getting worse and have paused strength stuff so hopefully clears up with rest. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    NWCB, I actually used to live closer to Shades, but last year moved to the next town.  I now live about 1-mile from the beach.  There's a slightly amusing story I suppose, because when I joined this thread a number of years ago now, I didn't know who Shades was and didn't know where she lived.  It's just that on a training run she was mentioned a bypass that was being built and I was also running near where a bypass was being built, and then we realised we were very close.  One of my favourite local races goes from Exeter to Torquay along the coast path.  About 20-miles are fairly runnable, whereas the last 6 are not (i.e., it's very steep!!).

Rcouture, well done on the 11-miler.  You are progressing very well.  At the start of this HR training I had a knee niggle, but I've been able to run through it at this MAF pace, and in fact I think it's gone now.

Shades, yes, I think taping it up will enable me to run tomorrow.  I may even try a little trot a bit later, but it's too hot here at the moment.  If not, I'll try a run tomorrow.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Went and did 20 today,plan was 16 but weather was perfect and felt good so extended it,my fastest 20,outside a race,by nearly 20 s/m and felt strong at the end,looks like it was just a negative split run,despite a long hill at mile 18.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Ian
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    NWCB - I'm about 5 miles inland in a small market town.   I like the coast but I don't like the windy weather for running and I don't like the holidaymakers either.  Plenty of hills here, Dartmoor isn't too far away.
    The area you live in is the envy of anyone HR training, so enjoy it.

I hope you do get a chance to run your first race soon.   Most of us on this thread like to race a lot 😊 so we can guide you through the training.

Rcouture - you're having no trouble ramping up the mileage now you're not training too fast.   Hope that hamstring niggle sorts itself out soon.
    It does feel a lot warmer today.

Big G - I think I was still a Trotter at that time, 2nd claim, but of course I never went to training so you wouldn't have known.

Ian - superb running, that's a big chunk off your previous best for 20 mile training run.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I like the stretch between Colliers Wood (by the big Sainsbury's) up through Morden Hall Park. If you want to continue, follow the wide path through the park, then cross the road, go right little way and take the next footpath for the next bit. If you then cross another road and go a bit further right you'll get to the next section which is a bit more open and brings you out part way along Mitcham Common.
    It's a bit disjointed as you have to cross a road every so often but I've figured out most of it so it can't be too hard!

Ian, you're on fire!

NWCB - my godmother lives in Fordham - her daughters are around my age so I visit when I can. I have many happy memories of going there as a kid. I hope to get there when the lockdown ends as my godmother is in her 90s so she's not going to be around forever (it'll give me the chance to hit Soham parkrun too).
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Big G - That must have been something to find those two beauties in a garage. I remember you talking about your Caterham before, lovely to see it on the cover of a magazine. At least you know it went to someone who appreciated it.
    Well done on the weight loss. That's going to make a difference with your running.

Cal - Great running from you too. You're doing so well to keep motivated and do speedwork with no racing at the moment. Lol at your fast outfit, I have some lucky pants which I always wear for marathons, in fact they're getting on a bit now so I ONLY wear them for marathons!

Shades - That is a lovely piece of news about those cygnets. On a bird note I've been leaving the window of the spare bedroom open lately and I've noticed that the swallows have been flying in and out and making a fair old racket. Anyway, on closer inspection I've discovered they're only building a bloody NEST on one of the top shelves!!! I am in two minds as to whether to leave it or take it down. It's not very pretty though, seems to be make out of mud.

On a running note a bit dismal this weekend. My hayfever is still bad making breathing hard work plus the fact I went out later today when it was getting really hot so that didn't help things either. On a positive note I have been running every day for about three weeks now so my mileage is pretty decent. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great run, Ian.  No wonder you're hoping to get a race in as soon as possible!

MF, that's great going running everyday for 3 weeks!  Sorry to hear about your hay fever.   I don't get it anywhere near as bad as you, but I so far seem to have escaped.  When I get it, it doesn't really seem to stop my running (it'll be interesting to see my HR though) - mine is usually more of a scratch throat than anything else, and I have nasal sprays that seem to take the edge off.

Went out on what has become my favourite 7-mile route late afternoon, with an option to cut it short if the toe wasn't up to it.  Pleased to say that the toe held up and the run was okay, although still a blustery wind in parts.

44 miles for the week so a bit down on the previous two weeks, although I did miss one run that I had planned, plus purposefully didn't go out for 10 today incase the toe misbehaved.  All being well if the toe and everything behaves, I hope to get back to 60ish this coming week.

OH has been showing a few pics at work of the raised beds/planters I've made.  Turns out a couple of her colleagues want one as well.....but when she mentioned that I somehow developed some temporary deafness.... ;)  They're really nothing special at all, but apparently planters made from some reclaimed wood have a certain rustic charm!  Who knew!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Looks like you may have a new business venture there.
    I ended the week on 62,happy with that as it was over 5 days.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - you'll have to be quick to move the nest before they lay their eggs.   Haven't seen a single swallow, or swift, I'm never quite sure which they are.   Usually see them sitting on the telegraph wires near the many farms that I pass but nothing yet.

Good news on running every day and the mileage, are you working part time now?

Big G - glad the toe has healed so you can run pain free. 

Well it's good that you OH is so happy with your work in the garden that she's showing the pics around, not good that you might have some orders for planters.

Ian - your higher mileage is certainly paying off.

8 miles this morning, another lovely morning, cool when I went out sun starts to get warm by the time I get home.   

Definitely more traffic today so maybe a few more people back at work.   Big increase on the number of cyclists that looked like they were going to work too.  The new commuters, you can tell by their lack of kit.   One guy I saw had no helmet, the sun hadn't come up properly and it was quite gloomy, he was wearing a grey top and as he cycled ahead of me it wasn't easy to see him as he seemed to be dressed the same colour as the road surface, no reflective, dayglo or anything light.   And on his head big headphones, muppet.

• Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭
    Good running over the weekend all, and sounds like there was some fun with Cygnets too!

I've not been very good at keeping up to date with what you are all doing recently, but since lockdown my work has been very busy and it's tough to check in!

Had a 12 miler planned at the weekend but felt great (seems to be a common theme this weekend) so pushed on and completed the halk marathon distance, it's crazy how difficult it is to make up that extra mile when you haven't planned!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Cozy, what is it you do for work?

10-miles this morning.  It felt harder again today, so it's strange how it goes.  I think if I'd done a MAF test today there would have been no real improvement since last time, but yet if I'd done one a week or two ago there may well have been some improvement.  I'll try not to dwell too much on it and hopefully I'll get a decent couple of runs in as the week progresses.
  • Options
    Cozy1504Cozy1504 ✭✭✭
    I work in banking, we actually thought it could be very quiet, potentially even job damaging quiet, we couldn't be more wrong!

Well done on the 10 miles!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - well done on your 13 miles.  Just shows how powerful the mind is.  You told your brain 12 miles and it wanted to stick with that.

I guess this is a time when individuals as as businesses really need their banks.

Big G - it's not even 24 hours since your last run so you can't expect to have a great run with low HR.

I can't remember what was in Maffetone's book about prep for the 5 mile MAF test, but with Hadd's test we are told to treat it like a race.  So maybe a rest day the day before and not tired or dehydrated.   I sometimes take a rest day the day before a Hadd test, not always but I make sure I feel ready for it on the day, if not I postpone until I do.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    MF - That's a great old car you have there. This is one of the threads I've read on tinman training... https://www.therunzone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1937&sid=d49fac14c981cc1c9d3d89f4bf66edb9 But if you google tinman CV workout that might be better.
    Shades - Like I said I am tempted as I'm probably unlikely to race this year, so it's a perfect time to train to HR.
    18 miles on Saturday and 5 miles on Sunday for a 53 mile week. Felt tired on Saturday, so having a cut back week and will probably drop to one session a week (mix between tempo and CV) after that.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Cozy, I guess people still need money, eh? Well done on the half.

Rest today - did an hour of yoga and a 2 mile walk. After a tiring three days I reckon I needed an easy one (rather than trying to cram in a longer walk and an HIIT session!)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - hopefully we will never again have to go through anything like this pandemic so we might as well make the best of it.

7 miles this morning, about 12 degrees so a lot milder than it has been for my early run lately.   Not sunny, looks like it might rain but unfortunately don't think it will, the ground is very dry and dusty again, we need rain.  Ran past the quay but the water is high so no sign of the cygnets, the swans usually take them up nearer the town when the water is high.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's going to be a warm couple of weeks from the look of it - not my favourite! But it wasn't too warm when I went out.
    8 miles recovery for me - I really slowed it down as much as I could (any slower and my form would have broken down) so I used a lot of the lumpier paths and wooded sections of the common as I'm naturally slower when I'm avoiding tree roots and the like. Averaged around 11:30 pace which is really slow. I did quite enjoy it.
    Did my own waterfowl spotting - the Egyptian geese have two goslings this year - I think they had an earlier brood (they tend to hatch around February, since their biorhythms are geared to Egypt) but that was around the time of the storms so guessing they didn't make it.
    The Canada geese have some goslings too - they've only settled on the pond this last year.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    10-miles today on the route I did as a baseline back on 28/4, so that's 3 weeks ago.  I was hoping for some improvement and there was indeed a small amount.  This is an undulating route in parts, and flat in parts:
    28/4                   Today
    143bpm              137bpm
    10:26min/mile    10:17
    1516beats/mile   1398  (edited as I originally got the figures the wrong way around!)

So some improvement although not totally mind-blowing (can't expect too much I suppose!), but it did feel controlled today and I was up early (for me) as I was out the door at 6:10am.  It was nice coming straight through the door and having breakfast, which I'd prepared last night.  I also did 4-miles yesterday afternoon and may do the same today.

What do Strava users think of the new changes to the charging structure?  I don't think I'm going to notice too much as a) I don't really bother with segments and b) I use a different website when I'm planning routes.  Fetch and Runalyze provide really good comparison and other analysis already.  For me Strava is mainly a social tool to see what everyone else is up to, and this last few weeks I've been doing analysis on different sites anyway.  Does anyone here who only uses the free Strava version (as I do) think they may upgrade?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - going to be warmish too here, but early mornings shouldn't be too bad.   That's a fair distance for a recovery run.  

I just looked up the Egyptian geese, never seen them round here.   We have lots of Canada geese, I see them fly over often in the morning but they move around between the various ponds that we have which were old quarry sites.   Not seen where any are nesting this year though, they are very protective of their young so one of them is always 'on guard'. 

Big G - I wouldn't describe that as 'some improvement,'  I would say that's a massive improvement, you should be very pleased with that, 6bpm lower and 9 seconds per mile faster :) 
    I spend the last 2 miles of my morning run anticipating my breakfast. :/ 

I am registered with Strava but never used it, are they now going to charge for some stuff that was FOC before?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Decided to take a rest day yesterday,knew I had a busy day lines up in work.
    Big G-Most of the changes won't affect how I use it,the only one that will is the compare my efforts when you do the same course.I like looking at when I have ran the same route and see the difference,but it isn't enough to make me pay £7 a month.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I only just started using Strava as I needed it for a virtual club thing. I mostly use Garmin Connect. I'm not going to be winning any segments so I really don't care about that, nor do I use it to plan routes.
    Enjoy your rest, Ian.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yes, that is one feature I use too.  But I can do that on Fetch too.  On Fetch you can actually run two (or more) activities alongside each other to see the comparison if you want.

Shades, they're changing their structure to make it much more based around subscription.  They've come out and said that they're currently not a profit making company, and so are making changes.  
    https://www.strava.com/subscription/from-our-founders?btn=3CsWNID93C1n7iSSUN2fF9&par=2Cz72Oq21soUqJdXTZpItl

They're also simplifying their charging model as I believe at the moment there are different levels of subscription, but I think they're changing that to just have one subscription/price.  All the social aspects (apart from segments) and basic analysis is still FOC though.