Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks. I did see that Gobi was questioning my max of 195. I got to that using P&D who say to add 2 or 3 beats to what you see on the watch. I’ve seen 192 on the watch when I’ve done their session twice, hence why I arrived at 195.  Using 192 would make a marginal difference to my training HR but surely nothing to worry about is it?  P&D’s method of adding a couple of beats made sense to me when I read it a few years ago and to be honest I didn’t question it. 

Regarding my mainly downhill 6 or 7 milers an example is attached of my HR. If I take the uphill 1st mile off which is mainly walking so brings the HR average down, the remaining average is often 133-135.  I do this type of run at this effort very regularly. On a flatter route with marginal walking for slopes it’s often 138-140 average. The only time I really try and stick to 142 is on the tests. I should probably clarify that when I said 137 would be tough in terms of my running style I really meant on a flat route; on downhills I find it’s easy to do under that. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I always advise that in an MHR test if they don't throw up or need oxygen to add 3-5 bpm.   It's very hard to reach MHR and the fitter you are the harder it is.   I think your MHR calculation is right.

Well your HR is low on that run, but that GAP pace is annoying, that's Strava assuming the world is flat I guess.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Not sure what I'll do, think I just got frustrated, as I was hoping after 7 weeks I'd see some improvement, but seems like I've gone the other way.
    I wasn't sure if it was because I'm only running 50 miles a week? When I trained for Manchester I did close to 60 average I think, so could be something in the mileage I guess?
    I am still using my optical sensor on my watch.

Anyway, 17 miles @ 9:51 for 130 bpm and then 5 miles @ 9:34 for 124 bpm on Sunday. 52 miles for the week.

I don't have a problem with the running slow part of this training, the frustrating thing is that I don't think I can slow down any more to keep my HR in the right area. I'm already running close to 10 min miles, yet my MP is 7:15 (last PB). I did 21 miles in January at 131 bpm for a minute a mile faster than on Saturday!! In July 2019 I ran my 5 mile loop at 9:25 pace for 120 bpm, so better than on Sunday.

I think that is my brain dump completed  :D
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Shades, yeah I agree.  I do ignore the GAP and if I could turn it off I would, but as far as I know it's not possible.

That's okay then - I'll keep it at 195.  So as you say 142 is 73% but often I'm lower than that.  135 average happens often if I take out that uphill mile and 135 is 69%.  These percentages all seem in the right ballpark which led me to think I wasn't running too quickly.  Good to check it though I suppose, but it does mean I can't understand the cardiac drift either!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - if you want to continue with HR training you really need to be using a chest strap.   I see so many posts from runners that have switched to chest strap and are now getting sensible readings, usually much lower than from the optical and much more consistent.   That may be why your paces are not where you expect them to be.    There are much better chest straps available now, much more comfortable to wear than before. 

You should be doing Hadd tests too every 6 weeks or so.  ;)    

I'm not sure your weekly mileage is the cause, although you did start Hadd at a much fitter level than most runners do.

Big G - the mention I saw about cardiac drift is on page 2022, not a Gobi post but a discussion with him.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, going back, I did see that at the time but didn’t read it in detail then. Just reading it now and he makes interesting points that I do agree with (IE the 5K conversion is way out for me) but I think he’s wrong when he says Maffetone is anti-speed work and probably that’s when I stopped reading last time, plus when he implied it was for new or untrained runners - I don’t have to look very far to know that isn’t the case. Yes, Maffetone’s focus is very much on the low intensity training, but he recommends races as speed work. That makes sense to me as I know I get more out of myself at races anyway.

Despite the cardiac drift I am making improvements. On 18/4 my average pace was 9:30 whereas today it was 8:57 which is a good improvement I think. And I was pleased with how I did on that 5K. There’s still plenty of scope for improvement and it looks like that chap’s main point is that speedwork helped him with his times, which is what I expect I’ll introduce in August following 80/20 (or maybe more like 90/10). 

I don’t understand why some find MAF so controversial. Is it really that different to lots of HR methods or other plans that say to build a base and then add speedwork? I did sense check Maffetone’s range with my Max HR and it was about right so I went with it. The main point is that easy really does mean easy, but that’s not exclusive to MAF either. 

Of course I have had my frustrations but that’s nothing to do specifically with Maffetone/MAF. If I was trying to stay at 70-75% of max but not calling it MAF, I’d still have the same frustrations. Maybe that’s where some get confused as MAF (Maximum Aerobic Function) is not an abbreviation for Maffetone.  I’m guilty of using them interchangeably sometimes. 

But I’m happy generally, although that cardiac drift is annoying. But consistent mileage, few/no niggles to stop the mileage, generally feeling good and then some surprises like that 5K mean overall I’m happy whether I call it MAF or something else. 

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - I feel exactly the same way and probably more so since you are much more experienced. It has taught me to slow down, my injuries have all cleared and crucially my mileage is so consistent now. I have now averaged my feb marathon training peak mileage for about 4 weeks now and feel like I could have done much more than that if I had time/it was sensible. 

Shades - Assuming Brighton goes ahead on sept 30th (unlikely i know), I was thinking of introducing speedwork in the shape of 1x a week tempo runs from August. That will have given me 3 full months of MAF only. Is that too late given the mara date? Also was thinking of doing them as 2x20 mins with 5 min rest, does that sound sensible? I hate shorter intervals. Finally if the marathon is canned, do I just stop the speedwork and go back to full MAF? Sorry for all the questions!
  • Options
    Hi guys, I am a new poster on this thread. I had been reading what was an older thread, but it seemed to come to a halt. Shades kindly invited me to join you on this one. The old one was a Hadd thread, and I was learning a lot reading about other people's experiences, particularly with low heart rate training (Hadd, Maffetone, etc.). As a relative new returnee to regular running, I was interested in the slow heart rate stuff as it certainly seems to help with mileage build-up with no / limited ill-effects. It's a new journey for me, and I am on my 6th week of Hadd / Maffetone (as I mentioned when I wrote to Shades, I have done no faster work at all yet, and Hadd's recommended bpm for me is one beat more than the bpm I get when trying not to exceed my MAF, so basically the same). I am attracted to the Hadd logic for the next stage(s), but am waiting to see some definite improvement on my pace. Very little yet after a full five weeks, but all I have read tells me to be patient, how much time does it usually take? I have lifted my mileage from a sporadic 20 / 30 kms per week up - so far - to 70 / 80kms. A further question, reading about others' experience with such training is always motivating, but I see that this is a huge thread (> 3000 pages), any pointers to specific posts would be welcome if available.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think my major frustration with Maffetone's book was that plenty on the MAF rate and starting the base training.   Then a chapter on racing but to me it felt like there should have been a chapter in between on progressing from BT to peak fitness.

Rcouture - the longer runs need to be your focus once you know your marathon will go ahead, but I think you're well prepared for that with what you've been doing so far.
    Yes, you can also introduce some tempo runs too.  If you don't like short intervals then just do a tempo run, easy mile to warm up and another to cool down.   Midsection at tempo pace, that means you wouldn't have to run it as fast as you would doing intervals as it will be a longer sustained effort.  You could even do it to a target heart rate rather than aim for a certain pace starting at say 150-155 BPM just to see what that feels like.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Returnee - welcome to this thread.  This thread is primarily for marathon addicts but we waffle a lot too on all subjects.   I've been doing Hadd for about 15 years but although I've done my best races due to Hadd's training I have/had a heavy racing habit so marathons on consecutive weeks and an injury here and there soon wipes out most of the base training and I start again.

A few others are now doing HR training too so recently we've talked a lot about it.   Much more than any other thread on RW which is why I pointed you in this direction.

The original BT thread is here, all 391 pages, again a lot of waffle but also some good advice.  Not sure if it's worth starting right from the beginning or just dipping in here and there.

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/21242/base-training/p391

Re your own HR training, whichever method you use one thing they all require is the patience of a saint.   Generally you can make improvements every 3 weeks and noticeable improvements in 6 weeks.  So it's worth doing either a MAF test every month or a Hadd test every 6 weeks.  
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - I might try my old strap to see what that shows.

Didn't know if I should just switch over to MAF? As that would give me a range of 132-142 to work with, however that would be 77-82% of max! I do wonder if the continued checking of my HR is causing it to be higher! But I know if I don't check it that's when it rises as for me there isn't really a difference in effort (pace yes), between 125 and 135 bpm.

Anyway this will be week 8 of HADD. I'll go with it again, if nothing changes I'm going to stop with HADD as I'm not enjoying my running and that is what is important.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that's where the MAF formula is flawed.  If I'd tried to do MAF 10 years ago my MAF rate would have been 82% so far too high.  

And you know your MHR is correct.

The most important thing is that you enjoy your training so you must do what is right for you.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Thanks. Was thinking of starting at about 8:00min/mi which is about a minute faster than the pace of my original sub 4hr marathon goal (and my one and only 1:45 feb HM pace)  just to feel it out. How long should a run like that be for? 4-5 miles (ex 1 mile warm up and cooldown)?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve/Shades, there are definitely some anomalies for some with the MAF formula.  I think I would have said when I started this that I did check mine with % of my Max HR first and they were aligned more or less.

Steve, if you're not enjoying it, as you say it's worth changing something.  When you spell it out in terms of your MP it is really stark.  Even in my case, I really think of my MP as 8min/mile (3hrs30) and my 10-ishmin/mile on a standard kind of route does feel slow, and having to walk etc.  Just as a matter of interest, do you sweat at that effort?  I think if I was coming back bone dry I'd be changing something as well but I do actually look like I've done something when I get home, even if I generally feel pretty good.

Rcouture, I do think a block of consistent training will really help.  And if training this way enables that I think that is probably the biggest advantage overall.

Returnee, welcome.  I can't really help with specific posts from over the years as like you say they go back back a long time.  I think one thing I have picked up in my own HR training (I've been doing it 10 weeks, but have been a runner for a few years) is that for me personally the progress is not linear.  For me, I had a decent start in the first 4 weeks or so, but then the next 3 or 4 weeks at some points I felt I was going backwards, and then all of a sudden on a specific run I'd have a great run and feel like I'd taken a big step forward.  And then plateau again, or even feel like I'm going backwards again.  For me that is probably the most frustrating thing about it.  I've been trying to find patterns in good and not so good runs over the last 10 weeks and I haven't really found any except a strong head wind definitely has a massive impact and to a lesser extent it seems (for me anyway), humidity.  Also, having to walk hills I know I can easily run up was initially frustrating but it doesn't bother me so much now and I'm getting very marginally better at them as well.   I think I am probably underplaying how important decent sleep is but I just do what I can in that area, although sometimes I may have a few nights in a row where I don't sleep that well.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Sorry in the above I meant ‘in-line with my HM pace’
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-Just the weekend for me,I've booked fri-sun but might swap it for the thursday yet,looking positive so hope it goes ahead.
    Steve-When I see your paces they look slow for the speed you can run at,if you're not enjoying it then switch it round,that's the most important thing.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, regarding your advice about longer runs for when we know more about marathons and trying to build a plan to target one.  I presume ideally those should still be at the MAF rate for me?  That is a bit concerning for me as I really think anything much over 10-12miles would be very stop/start in the latter stages.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but would a strategy be to run the first 10 to HR and then anything over that running more to feel?  Or would there be no point in that as an approach?  I think at some point I'll need to get some longer stuff in having not gone over 10 miles for these 10 weeks.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - I also ran >10 miles for the first time yesterday under MAF. The last 2 of the 12 were a bit of a struggle keeping it down. I just assumed it was because I was running into the wind but on finishing it was clear there was some cardiac drift there. I’m guessing the more I run long under MAF the less that becomes a factor as per the shorter distances. 
  • Options
    Shades, many thanks for the warm welcome, and for the pointer to the BT thread. May I ask a question, one that I am sure has been asked before by every newbie before me, but do you - or any others on the thread - have strong thoughts about starting on the faster (Hadd called it ILTHR, but I'm sure it goes by other names) LT stuff before seeing some reasonable improvement at the easier (Hadd / Maffetone) level? Haven't run a marathon for a v-e-r-y long time, but have a yen to rectify that, but would like to get some decent, sensible training in before then.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Went to a club session for the first time in quite a while,decent sized group got together in the park and split in to a couple of groups.They decided on 4x1 mile on then off at 10k pace then recovery.Someone has measured a strava 1 mile segment in the park so accurate timings,as usual I went off a bit fast and the 1st 2 miles were at 5:47 and 5:40,hung on for the 3rd in 5:52,then died for a 6:14,overall pace for the efforts was 5:55,which is sub 36:45 pace and I've just got within a minute of that so a hard effort overall.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - Your tempo pace can be anything in the range of 7:40 to 8:00 min/miles.   You can start with 3 or 4 miles at tempo pace and increase that in later weeks.

Ian - that's a good speed session  with your club.   Much better to do that in company, would be a killer on your own.

Is your OH going to Reykjavik? 

Big G - it would be very restrictive to try and do a long run and stick to base HR.   I wouldn't run 'to feel', just run as far as you close to base rate and when the cardiac drift starts to kick in as Rcouture found then just maintain effort to the same level.   Exactly as you would do in a race, but not at race pace obviously.   HR will creep up but don't let that happen too early, certainly double figures.   As you've been doing some decent consistent training mileage and a fair few doubles you should find that you won't need anything like the amount of long runs that you would normally do to prepare yourself.    It's a shame that if/when we can run a marathon again it's not likely that we'd be able to find a half marathon race to do pre marathon, I think you'd be surprised how well endurance trained your BT has prepared you.

Returnee - Unfortunately there is no point in doing ILTHR until you can run 10 miles at your base pace with no cardiac drift.   This is the period when you have to be very patient.  Starting the ILTHR runs too early has been done by a lot of runners and those that do never achieve what they could using Hadd or MAF.   
    I do ILTHR runs and as I live in a hilly area I often use a hilly route allowing myself to get up to 80% on the hills, so for me that gives me the equivalent of an ILTHR plus some leg strength work from the hills.  I also quite like hills and the best routes around here are not the flat ones.

You're on the right thread if you want to run a marathon again, we love them on here.   :)

7 miles for me today, only 9 degrees when I went out, should have taken my gloves, my hands were freezing until the sun came out, was a bit warmer then.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I see Paris have now moved the date (again) to 15th November.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, decent session there!

Shades, it's funny you mentioned that about halfs.  I've been thinking about this and let's say we're able to run some events early next year, I am wondering whether to build more of a "regular" plan and put a couple of halfs and/or 10ks in there in the build up to an event, as opposed to getting straight back on with ticking the marathons off.  As you've said many times, there's nothing like a decent half (or 20 mile race) to show a runner how they're doing in the run up to a marathon.  

Who knows what I'll be thinking when we get back to racing, but I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that smaller, club events may be allowed first (say things First Chance 10k in January and Bideford Half in March, just as examples) prior to larger marathons.  It may work out quite well, but who knows.  I know next January and March is a long, long way off but I think that's the time frame I need to get into my mind in terms of "proper" racing.  If it does end up being like that and I stick to MAF and add in some 80/20 it could work really well as a good block of training. 

Having said all that, I was chatting to OH last night.  To be honest, we're a bit nervous about flying at the moment.  We currently have Warsaw booked end of September and also a trip to NL in November so we'll see what it's like for those.  But a ferry on the other hand could be ideal and I think would feel safer to me at least.  There's even outside space and seating on a ferry and if I just avoid the scums and hold back a bit getting off the ferry back into the car, it could actually be quite pleasant.  I mentioned this in relation to Antwerp night marathon and driving over for a few days, but she's not keen with the uncertainty at her work at the moment which is fair enough.  I wouldn't go on my own as it's a long drive and sharing the driving is much better.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome, returnee.
    Big G, got a clubmate who is doing Stavanger in Norway...apparently that one is happening. Personally I'm happy to wait. I just got an email from Valencia promoting its "I'm training for Valencia" T-shirt so it's looking hopeful for that (especially given that we can now go to Spain). No word from Chicago but not sure I want to do that even if it goes ahead, given the state of the US right now. That and I don't fancy a longhaul flight since planes are basically tubes of germs.

Did a 6 mile walk yesterday and not much else. Made the mistake of having an afternoon nap and woke up very groggy so had some coffee (mistake number 2) so had real trouble getting to sleep last night. Tried around 10:30 but after tossing and turning for ages I put the light on and read for a while. Then what I assume was a police helicopter was hovering overhead for ages, making a racket, so I don't think I slept until around 12:30. Of course, I was awake well before 5 as usual.
    Body was pretty grumpy - I spent 40 minutes trying to foam roll and mobilise all the tight spots. It wasn't as angry as it could have been for the run but still quite niggly - I did most of the run at recovery pace before busting out some strides in the last mile. The strides were a calculated risk given the sore high hammy but it was the best I felt all run - felt better after, too. My body definitely seems to prefer going fast. 6.25 miles total (the last quarter was a cool-down).
    It's the EA virtual relays this weekend so wondering if I can get myself straight for that. I can skip it but it'd be nice to give it a shot. I've not done a 5K since my masters relay PB on my birthday.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No she isn't,looking like a lone trip as of now.
    Big G-with flying,when I read the websites it all seems pretty clean,in terms of recycled air etc,I suppose it all depends on what you perceive as a level of acceptable risk.I think for me,I feel fine with it with working right through it all in a shop,but can fully understand why others don't feel the same.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - often just having that pre marathon shorter race gives the runner enough confidence to run a good marathon.   Without those shorter races it's hard to rely on training alone, we all know so many that have trained well only to have a disastrous marathon, totally unexpected.

I know I'm like a broken record about my purple patch year but I'd had a really good spell of Hadd training and the last couple of weeks introduced doubles and my training paces had improved.   So I knew I was in good shape but I hadn't run any long runs so hastily had to do a 20 miler the week before my next marathon.   I wrote in my training diary 'best 20 mile run ever', and it wasn't because of the pace but how strong I felt for the whole 20 miles.  That gave me the confidence the next week to go out at PB pace and knock 6 minutes off my marathon PB.   Normally I wouldn't feel that confident from a training run alone.

I too, am not keen right now on travelling any distance for a marathon by air, I don't really like ferries, too much driving and waiting around.  The outdoor seating on ferries is often blowing a gale and freezing cold.    But I don't want to book anything now as I just couldn't face the hassle of having to cancel all the arrangements after doing so for so many this year.   Trouble is with this virus that everything can change so quickly.   

I see that they've had to close 3 pubs in the UK already, and they only opened on Saturday.

I'm hoping that the next announcement by EA will give us a more definite plan of how racing will be for the rest of the year.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I have put myself on the waiting list for Valencia but over 1000 ahead so cant see me getting it.
    Speaking to a clubmate last night who was due to do Chicago,he said the mayor said no mass events until a vaccine is found,not sure if that's accurate but if it is then it's only a matter if time until the cancel.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    I was speaking to OH last night and as desperate as I am to run a marathon, I’m not 100% sold on whether I’d even do Brighton in September if it went ahead. I’m not that bothered about the risk but not sure how I’d feel about my first marathon being weird with all manner of social distancing measures and limited crowd size which inevitably would be the case barring some sort of miracle. Given how much I love running, I’d like it to be a springboard to do lots more marathons as opposed to a bizarre experience. I’m booked in for the April version and given my low running age (I’ve basically only been running more than 10miles a week or so for a year and 30 plus only since Jan) it feels like I would only benefit from 8 more months of MAF/80:20 stuff. Will have to see once we get confirmation one way or another this month but in many ways I’m hoping it’s just cancelled.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I'd quite fancy Stavanger, but that's probably as I so enjoyed the TV series 'State of Happiness', if anyone hasn't seen it well worth it, was on BBC4 a couple of months ago.

Doesn't look promising for your Chicago marathon but that's what you're expecting now, so will probably be a relief if they cancel.

Hope you can get rid of those niggles.

Ian - I would be quite happy to fly, not worried about that.   For me it's the possibility of being cancelled at short notice and the trip being a disappointment.

I do hope that your OH does get to do the marathon of her choice soon.

Rcouture - I can understand your thinking, first marathon is really special and you're right to want it to be so.   I too am not keen on doing a race with lots of rules on social distancing rules that might spoil the day for me.  We have to wait and see what's going to happen but for the future there are plenty of marathons that you will be able to choose from.   It's just as well you enjoy the training so much. :)

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, maybe for me flying will be one of those things similar to pubs.  A couple of weeks ago I was saying I wasn't interested in going to a pub.  But having seen some of the better run ones, especially with outside space, I may now consider it I suppose.  Maybe I'll feel differently about flying when I hear reports about how it actually is in practice. 

Shades, I've mentioned this a lot too but when I did Humdinger Half in the February before Malta in 2018 I just knew I was in great shape.  It wasn't even a fantastic time (i.e., way off a PB) due to the hilly nature of it, but I just knew I was running really well and that ended a 70-mile week.  And then two weeks later I did Malta.  I will never know of course but I'd love to know what my HR was in the lead up to that.  Definitely higher than what I'm training at now, but I wonder how much higher.  Possibly not that much higher looking at my training and paces for flat or downhill sections.  The main difference now is I'm walking the slopes whereas back then I wasn't.