Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry, just to add, I've just remembered I got a 5-mile PB two weeks before Humdinger Half (so 4 weeks before Malta).
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-When you know you are in form it is a great feeling,I had that last Autumn when I had great races in Berlin,Frankfurt and when I sightseed around NYC and still got sub 3:30 7 days after Frankfurt.
    Feeling very similar now,same as lots though I just wish I had a race to really test myself over a shorter distance.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, 

Ian5: if you need any help with the expo let me know. We're due to arrive on Monday. 

Big G: you've been in great form. I think flying does have its risks but if everyone observed correct rules. 

Shades: Stavanger looks very nice! Have you got any races planned at all?

I managed 12k this morning but struggled until 8k. At 7k I saw this (hopefully it'll load). 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @Returnee: welcome to the thread! 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - and that 5 mile PB plus a strong run at the Humdinger made you cruise to that marathon PB at Malta, great running.

Ian - you're definitely in PB shape now, I will be tracking you at Reykjavik. I'm excited too about putting up the marathon list again, although I'll wait a little while to do that.

Emmy - my race diary is like a car crash.   What's still on there is :- 

IOM Marathon, race still going ahead but borders closed.  Just waiting for Easyjet to confirm flight cancellation.
    Plym Trail 23rd August.  deferred from May, then from July
    Goodwood 27th Sept, deferred from July
    Frankfurt 25th Oct - allegedly still going ahead but Lufthansa have cancelled flight so unlikely I could go.
    Llanelli 40 - November

That's a nice pic, lovely road for running.   Is that a more tasteful garden gnome?   Funny the things you see out running.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: that sounds familiar! I've not entered races in autumn and am looking at last minute entries IF they go ahead. 
    This is a close up. The road is nice but a lot of lorries come by which can be a little unnerving. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - very odd, looks very rustic except for the moulded face.

Re autumn marathons I take it you mean local to you?   Are races going ahead yet in the NL?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-Thanks for the offer,I might well take you up on it,I presumed the expo was near the start but it's a decent distance away from my hotel.
    Shades-Maybe put the list up the weds before the first race so as not to jinx it.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - I had a quick look at the start of that base training thread you posted. Amazing how everyone went through exactly the same frustrations!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @shades: yes, although I'm due to run London but I'm not sure if it'll go ahead so I'll be aiming to stay closer to home. It's a weird thing to find in the road. 

@ian: happy to help. 

@Rcouture: yep, we've all been there. It's great to see the progress along the way. 
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    E mmy - No doubt. I did chuckle though at quite a lot of cheating eg ‘I increased my MAF HR until I wasn’t walking anymore’ 😀
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Emmy, do you live in a farming area?  Where OH's parents used to live had roads similar to that. They were near Dalfsen.  Those times I mentioned by the way were from 2018 - I had a decent year that year, but not a great one last year, so with the lockdown this year I've taken it back to basics.

Ian, it's a great feeling.  I didn't have it all last year but I think I'm getting it back a bit.

I was waiting for a delivery this morning so I was later getting out, but did 6-miles with my hilly first mile.  I had trouble breathing (blocked nose) so even though it was very good conditions (low humidity and nice temperature for running) it was a poor run.  It is a lovely route though, so at least there's that.  About half way in I did think about extending it to 9ish but as I knew it wasn't a great run I decided not to.  Maybe another day.
  • Options
    Hi Shades, many thanks for the response, some sound advice. Sorry to be a pest (I know it shows my impatience), but may I pose the question slightly differently - if I could get to 10 miles at base pace with little/no drift, BUT, my base pace hadn't improved, should I then continue only at base pace (no ILTHR) only (or is the situation I outlined unlikely to happen?).

Emmy, thank you for the welcome.

I promise to ask less stupid questions when my base pace improves and I don't have to crawl up small hills.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Returnee: I live at sea level so I crawl up hills as part of my normal running! 

@BigG: yes, depends on the route I take. This morning was the "forest" route. If I go west towards Etten-Leur, im at farms within 2km. The biggest issue is that although it's quiet, you risk the big lorries delivering to the farms. We're still in Breda so it's city but rural.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I remembered today why I'm not too keen on sessions like last night,legs were pretty sore today so just went out for 9 miles,with the extra mileage last night it keeps me on target for my plan.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Interesting to note that you compared the MAF to your max %! Regarding sweating, on my longer runs yes I do sweat. I can do my 5 mile run without too much sweat even when it's warm.
    Ian - Nice speed session, that is flying.

Anyway, the reason for doing HADD was to get a massive aerobic base, so that I could get close to what the calculators say should be my MP! If that meant running 10 min miles so I could race at 6:xx then so be it, didn't think I would be so slow for so long though.
    I did however do another 10 miles at 135-140 today, which I think went well, the pace wasn't as good as previous ones, but I didn't get much drift;
    8:18(137), 8:17(140), 8:14(140), 8:05(140), 8:15(140), 8:21(141), 8:24(141), 8:21(140), 8:06(139), 8:11(139).
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Presume tou have had the mail,Chester half and full have been cancelled,not unexpected.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I haven't received the email yet about Chester.  That's a shame though but as you say not unexpected.

Steve, yes, I did sense check it at the time as I wasn't really sure how Maffetone's formula would work for everyone.  But it does work for me I think.  I describe myself as MAF training and I think of it in that way, but really that's just to keep it simple.  But yes, 132-142bpm is about 68%-73% of my max so I do think it's probably about right - sometimes I'm towards the bottom end of that, sometimes I'm towards the top end.  Those paces from your 10-miler seem very, very consistent to me!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I'll put the list up at the beginning of August, might even be able to add Plym Trail onto it.

Shame about Chester, but as you say not unexpected.

Rcouture - yes, everyone goes through the same frustration/doubts etc.  :)

Returnee - if that happened then I would query your training heart rate or your HRM.   Only exception would be if you started already aerobically superfit but I'm guessing that's not the case as you say you are still having to crawl up small hills.
    Do you feel that you're not making any progress?
    Have you done a MAF test or a Hadd test yet?

You can ask as many questions as you like.

Steve - that's a very good set of splits for your ILTHR.
    Is that with the chest strap?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-They are brilliant splits.
    Big G-I've just read the email and the title is about the half and in it it explains the full is cancelled also,guess that email will be out soon.They say another email will follow on 17th with refund,deferral info.Happy to defer both as we will be signing up anyway.
    It does mean I'm free at the start of October  to try and find another race.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian -Loch Ness is 4th October and say that they're going ahead.   But they need buses to the start so that could be a problem.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    7 miles this afternoon. 2nd fastest time and below 10 min/mile which is nice. Conditions were good at about 20 degrees and not humid although only got 4 hours sleep last night. Bizarrely my fastest time is still over a month ago. Must have been a really odd one-off as it was surrounded by much slower times. My Arahis have just arrived so excited to take them for a spin tomorrow assuming they fit. They look lovely. 
  • Options
    Keith M StuartKeith M Stuart ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Howdy all
    Been getting more consistent as those on Strava will know. Not aiming to increase too rapidly so probably more mileage by more every day of the 4 i usually run rather than making one longer than the rest. Also been using the HR sensor more to get a base line for Strava fitness and freshness than anything else.
    In less welcome news 2 weeks ago pretty much most the lab was put on risk of job loss status so we are slowly moving into 1-2-1's and with a bit of luck enough people will take the money and go avoiding the more stressful selection process to make up the numbers.
    Shades - Er loch ness canned it a few days back actually the next one is 2021 which is also what it says on their web page.
    No idea what i'll do later in the year if and when running returns. Local ones should be moderatly fine as they are not usually more than a few hundred. My park run is fine as i can avoid at the start as its lowish numbers and open enough space then after the short clustering at the start we spread out well so would be fine and i rarely stop long after finishing. If i put massive effort in i might collapse for a bit then move home. Potential to do some of Foxy's i guess as if anyone is resuming he will be. I can probably stock up in food for a few days and avoid the often busy pub downstairs in the Prem Inn i stay at.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the redundancy notice, Keith.  Not good.  Hopefully it'll work out for you.  Just a quick one about parkrun I think they're still planning an "all or nothing" approach in the UK, unless that's changed recently.  I.E., they won't reopen until Bushy can restart, or at least that was the gist of it a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @SHADES: I thought loch Ness had been postponed last week? 

@keith: apparently he's had permission from the parks trust to start but there's a lot of unanswered question about how "safe" it is (thinking of the narrow paths, park users etc). Sorry to hear about potential job losses. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Speaking of parkrun Emmy, are you near one in NL?  I knew they were opening up there although I guess all that has been disrupted by Covid, but was just wondering if you're near one?  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - enjoy the new shoes tomorrow.  :)

Keith/Emmy - sorry didn't know that Loch Ness had cancelled, I usually get all their emails.

Keith - is Windermere still on for November?  That would suit you.

Sorry to hear about the possible redundancy.  I take it you don't want redundancy.

Foxy will need TRA to issue permit or he could come to ARC or get his own insurance.  I guess he's hoping for TRA .
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It's an audio interview, but New Forest Marathon still seem hopeful for Sept 13th.  They acknowledge that they need government advice to change but they seem to be focussing on the fact that they can easily control runners before the start (runners will get start times) and they say they can minimise spectators due to the closed nature of the route.
    https://soundcloud.com/…/new-forest-marathon-radio-solent-i…

• Options
    Lol Shades no not ready for redundnacy/retirement only 43 later this month :p There will probably be some volunteers espcially in the longer service group as there contracts are quite good for severance packages. I know this as its the same one i am on. Mine is a bit over a years pay i think and it caps at 3 years pay of which there are several who hit the cap. Will just have to see though. Hopefully they'll be telling people in the 1-2-1's of which there are some this morning what the changes are for the whole lab. I can't see how they can keep it smaller than the whole lab as its not overly hard to work out what would be what. I know the structure in my capacity of union rep but only got that after we were told and only then as the number of people involved means they need me to help sit on members meetings if they want us their.