Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Emmy, that's very kind, but it'll cost you a fair bit to post them!  I may order some to try out though.

Just about to go out for a bike ride (probably around 30-miles, all being well) and then there's a Tri nearby that I'm going to spectate at.  We went for a walk yesterday evening and the organisers were setting everything up....there was loads of scaffolding in the transition area for people to rack their bikes.  When I think how much prep/training goes into a run, I shudder to think what's involved in preparing properly for a Tri.  I mean, I'm pretty sure I could get around a Sprint Tri if I had to (as long as it was a pool swim, which today's is), but to do well must take quite a bit of organisation!  Quite looking forward to spectating and just hoping I can get close to the cycling track with the Covid restrictions etc.  If not, I'll stand near the transition area and see them come off the bike and into the run.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    https://1f51e2bc-1774-4b3c-b5fe-18ac6ddace59.filesusr.com/ugd/9a2175_8ee66924a0264bc283e247cc060bfea7.pdf
    Interesting document to see the lengths race organisers are having to go to,this was the reasons Boston UK got cancelled and the reasons Boston think it should have went ahead
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Very frustrating for the organisers there, Ian. You can sense their annoyance with the SAG. 

I got my 30 miles done on quite a nice circular route. I had inadvertently picked some country lanes for my route, some of which weren’t great quality for a road bike, but I got through ok without a dreaded puncture. 
  • Options
    High5 Aqua are good - I got a couple free after doing a challenge on Strava and they're pretty much like a fruit juice - very runny, fruity but not too sweet. I normally use SiS which are fine.

Ian, that's crap, I feel bad for the organisers. They've obviously given everything careful consideration but to no avail.

Well done on the 30, Big G!

Whew, well that was a morning...I'm absolutely knackered.
    I woke up at 3am and figured I might as well get up seeing as I had to be out at 5:30 - a bit of extra time would mean I could do some foam rolling and stuff. Which I did as my back/side/QL/whatever it is is still giving me some trouble.
    It was dark when I went out - not used to that after months of running in daylight - so I was a bit tentative (read: very slow) for the first couple of miles. Managed to catch my toe on a paving stone at one point, too, and almost stacked it. How I stayed upright I have no idea as I was pitched well forward. I distinctly remember thinking "NO! Not on race day!" :D
    Anyway, it was a bit lighter by the third mile so the rest of the journey was a straightforward, if not terribly exciting run along the good old South Circular.
    Made it to Kew Green by 7am and they had a spare number for me, so that was no trouble.
    The one problem I faced, running there, was that I couldn't eat beforehand. I do my training fasted but I usually like to have a small bowl of oats before a parkrun or race, given that they generally start a lot later than I go out to run. But I always need at least three hours between eating and running if I want to avoid puking in my mouth, so I just had to make do with a couple of gels.
    Race organisation was very good under the circumstances - everything went very smoothly (no massive queues at bag drop or loos) and the staggered start worked well.
    I realised that I wasn't going to be running a PB today - the early start and 8 mile run there were one thing (or two things) but I'm also race rusty. I was slower than I expected to be, though.
    First mile, which passed through some lovely flower gardens, was 8:22 which is too slow if'd been after a PB, but not too bad otherwise. Then next mile was better at 8:13 and I started to feel more hopeful. But then I went back to 8:25 and it went downhill from there... 8:46, 8:31 (rallied slightly) then a pretty slow 9:03. Legs felt tired but I also didn't have the right mindset to push hard - my breathing never got into audible range, although it still felt like hard work.
    Garmin satnav behaved today, thankfully, but the twisty, tree-lined course did cause some inaccuraces so the last bit took three minutes as it made it 6.35.
    Final and official time was 54:16 which is my slowest 10K for a couple of years. I'd opted to wear the Peg Turbos on account of the run there, rather than the 4%, but I don't think Vaporflys would have helped that much.
    I'd already decided that there was no way in hell that I was going to attempt to run home so I braved the tube (which was running by this time).
    Dorney's only three weeks away now so hoping I will be in better shape for that. I'm also wondering if I should do another 5 or 10K before then - any opinions? (I'd normally want to do a half, but that's not an option unfortunately).
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I think doing 54mins after an 8-mile warmup is great going!  In terms of freshness before Dorney I reckon another 5k or 10k next week wouldn't do any harm, especially if you can arrive at the start line feeling fresh to give it a good attempt for a confidence booster (i.e, without having to do another 8-mile warm up!).
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Agree with Big G-that's a good effort at the end of a half marathon,it all depends what you want,in terms of Dorney,then a 5 or 10k won't add anything but a good confidence boost if it goes well,what would you normally do over the next 2 weeks? 
  • Options
    I'd taper but I would do parkrun (I'm thinking more of a 2 week taper though, as this week has been a cutback due to the race). I did do a HM two weeks before Yorkshire - that obviously didn't hurt!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I'd do whatever you know works,as everyone is different,I'd say a 10k next week and 5 the week before would be fine,main worry for me would be speed can give us niggles and you may not have time to recover.
  • Options
    Cal - That’s a good effort given the trying circumstances. Hopefully the upcoming full has no hitches. Are there any other 5-10ks near us in the interim? Haven’t seen any. 

14 miles this morning through Richmond park. Beautiful sunshine yet wasn’t overly hot. Didn’t bother with MAF as it’s a bit longer but kept it zone 2, the high end of which is basically 5bpm above MAF. Think will do that with all long runs. 
  • Options
    One in the Olympic Park next Saturday (Runthrough). There's a Battersea Chase the Sun event but that's on the Wednesday right before the marathon, so while it's tempting, I don't think it would be sensible.

Nice 14 miler there - saw it on Strava. Good pace.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think I can see you being lured into the world of triathlons  :) and why not.

Ian - that's a really interesting read.   Bureaucracy gone mad, no wonder the race organisers were frustrated.

Cal - great result considering you had to run 8 miles to get there and not able to have breakfast especially as you'd got up so early.   I think you could easily count today as your long run.

Plym Trail marathon for me, my first race this year so pic of the medal, nice one with a bumble bee, he has different medals for each event always depicting the local wildlife.

Arrived early, unlike Cal I don't like walking any distance to the start and arriving early enabled me to park 10 metres from the start line.   Some runners, mostly those that had run yesterday, were opting for an early start so I offered to start early too, as that makes it easier for the RO too with Covid rules.   So started 45 minutes early, that was a good move as I was able to run up the steep hill from the start keeping my HR to 74%.   Back down the hill and onto the Plym Trail, thought I'd be able to have a nice quiet run on my own but I've never seen so many cyclists and runners on the trail, all smiling and happy and speaking.  Quite a few runners out from local clubs and others training for VLM virtual, I knew quite a few of them so ended up having a big social chit chat for the first 7 miles.   As I'd started early the first drink station wasn't operating so first drink at 7 miles, I was a bit thirsty as starting early I hadn't maybe drunk as much prestart as I would usually.    Needed 2 drinks at 7 miles, knew the marshals there, more chit chat.   Turnaround then and back up to the start.   I was running OK, and my legs didn't fall off once I'd got past 10 miles (my longest run in the last 4 months).   I'd packed a lot into my bumbag, sweets, chocolate and cashew nuts as I knew I might struggle later and need sustenance but I struggled to really take on much at all.   At 18 miles I started to tire and it became much harder, got to final turnaround at 20 miles and took a salt tablet here.   Then it was a bit of a slog to do the last 6 miles, I developed a sore ankle for a couple of miles which didn't help.   Quads and adductors were tired.    Weather was perfect, had been a bit humid in places but that wore off and a pleasant 21 degrees  when I finished.   Finish time 5:04:07, which is actually my 4th best time out of 8 runnings of this event.   Average HR a low 79% MHR.   So not a bad day, up to 18 miles I think I was running well, just lack of long runs slowed me for the last 8 miles.
  • Options
    Shades - Great race and report! Looks like you’ve done really well in spite of lack of long runs. Sounds like it was a nice social occasion too. I guess you know a lot of folks in that community. 
  • Options
    Shades, that's a brilliant result, especially given your lack of long runs. Lovely medal too - I've seen some of the previous ones - I'd be tempted to do this one just for the bling. Great job.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Shades - that's a great time with no long runs under your belt.  How was the social distancing side of things?  All okay I presume?  You will know him but there's a younger chap who does them regularly from SWRR who wears glasses (Richard).  A very good runner who has won it on occasion, but he seemed to have a shocker yesterday as he finished over 4hrs (he's a sub-3 runner).  He just said he ran out of energy, but at least he got it done.  He's aiming for 100MC and is well on his way I believe.  The guy I gave my place to finished in 3:20 yesterday so he did very well on that course...he did a 1:28 Half the week before in Reading.  Was Alice there - she did 20-in-20 very recently (finished earlier in the week I think) and was due to be there this weekend, but wasn't sure if she made it.

I went down to watch the Tri and really enjoyed it.  Beautiful weather this afternoon and I was there in shorts and T-Shirt.  They had a kiosk there so I had a coffee and cake - it would have been rude not to!  There were a decent amount of spectators down there but it's very easy to social distance, with grass around the track, and on the inside of the track.  I think some had made a day of it with picnics so it was a really great, relaxed atmosphere there.  I knew a few people and it was nice to see what goes on having never really seen a Tri before.  I saw them come into transition from the swim, get on the bike, and then watched the cycling mainly (the seniors were doing 15 laps of the track).  Then I moved towards the run, but it was all cordoned off so not easy to get a good spot, so I walked home after that.  I was umming and ahhing about whether to just stay in and watch the TdF earlier on, but I'm glad I went down and I'll watch the TdF highlights a bit later.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Rcouture - thanks, although I can't recommend the lack of long runs.   :/

Cal - it's a lovely course and if I lived there I'd love it for training, but it feels like a very tough course when it comes to racing.  My Garmin measured the climb today at 1894 feet, last time it measured it at 1797.   I've not committed myself to running it again, but we'll see.

Big G  - social distancing perfect, nothing to worry about.  Mask on to go into the hall and if you wanted a coffee then it was made for you.   I carried my mask but never saw a single person wearing one on the course.   The lower part of the course has had the leaf debris cleared from the edges so the path was a decent width all the way.   At the drink stations single use compostable cups.   Jelly babies portioned out into cups if you wanted them.

Yes, Richard had a shocker yesterday and today even worse, he ended up teaming up with 3 girls and walking.   Don't know what's wrong with him, he looked very unhappy.

Yes, Alice was there.   Don't know what she ran yesterday but today she walked the half, she's carrying an injury.

The only runner today who was rude by not acknowledging me or others was the only Trotter there, CR.   He set off fast, looking for the win, with MD (who had heat stroke here last year) some distance behind.  After 3 times seeing CR and him blanking me every time, I said to MD you can catch him and I happened to be coming the other way just as MD cruised past at about 22 miles and he took the win.

Definitely more than a passing interest in the triathlon.   ;)

I'm 3 days behind on TdeF.
  • Options
    Exploding cups? Yikes! :D (I guess you meant compostable). Rather satisfying seeing the rude guy get passed, eh?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ha ha, that's my bloody phone doing auto correct.   I'll go and correct now.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Very good running there,biding well for when you have the long runs in the bank.I think exploding cups would be better,solve the recycling problems.
    Cal- I think the wed before is definitely too close,a week before could be ok,debating one myself but unlikely I think at the minute.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’m a bit wary of CR.... He’s a good runner though and has improved loads.  I did see Alice was heavily strapped at the end of her 20 in 20 so was wondering. Chair was supposed to be there today but he told me yesterday he had a cold so he wasn't sure if he’d make it. 

Never say never about a Tri I suppose but it’s unlikely. It was great watching but it’s also so much faff with the transitions etc. I’d need more kit too - probably a Tri suit, a band to hold my race number, etc. And then it’s a very slippery slope to spending £££’s on carbon bike bits!  I have been tempted with a run-bike-run event in the past so that is more likely to happen at some point. Or something like Dartmoor Classic on the bike has sparked my interest in the past. But I got into marathons and that took up my time in the pre-Covid days. 
  • Options
    Tri is stupidly expensive, much more so than running alone. Fun though - I really enjoyed volunteering at the Thorpe Park tri when I did it.  First time I was on the water station on the run (inside the theme park - just my cup of tea!) but last year I was on the mount line and got to use my teacher voice a lot when they overshot the transition areas. :D It chucked it down that year so the bike bit was carnage - people were coming in grazed and bleeding and with bike wheels bent after one particularly slipper metal bridge section.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I think the one I saw today is probably pretty much the safest anywhere.  Lengths of a 25m pool, 15 laps of a smooth, flat tarmac track (with no cars) and then a 5K on a field.  My type of event :)  The Dartmoor Classic bike race was pretty bad a year or two back, with lots of rain and standing water, and it's a hilly race...I think there were some bad injuries that year :( 
  • Options
    That sounds like a nice one if you (literally) wanted to dip your toe in the tri waters. I don't think there's anything that could entice me to swim in open water but whilst I don't enjoy swimming, I would consider getting into a pool. (This is theoretical, though, since I can't ride a bike :D)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, that's funny Cal - yeah, probably learning to ride a bike may be helpful for a Tri :)  I think one thing that does put me off very slightly is that it does partly come down to cash - i.e., if someone gets a better, more expensive bike, they'd be faster on the bike, which can come down to a few mins even on a Sprint Tri.  You don't really get that with running I don't think.  Running feels much simpler in that regard in that it's down to the individual and their training if they see improvements.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - interesting your comment on CR, I thought it was just me.   He was definitely the only Trotter there.

A duathlon might be a good start although I know you're a good swimmer, a lot less faffing to run/bike and cut out the water.

Cal - don't think I could ride a bike, last time I was 15.  I have no intention of trying again.

I'd forgotten the restless night's sleep that I usually have after a marathon, so although I was tired, I hadn't slept well the night before either, I woke up about 8 times.   But got up early and wasn't looking forward to my recovery run but I had a surprising good run.   5 miles, legs are only a little tired, hip flexors on both sides are tight and when I ran I could feel my heart and lungs were a little weary.    But I felt a lot fresher when I'd finished the run that when I started.    Early start as I have Pilates class.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Great recovery to be doing pilates after a run today.
    Big G-If you know a decent swimmer,some events have a relay triathlon,I looked in to it when I had a semi-pro cyclist working with me,but never got round to fitting it in.
  • Options
    Indeed, Big G - even when it comes to shoes, there's maybe a £150 difference between regular trainers and a pair of AlphaFlys, which is much less than the difference in bike prices. And the best Nike shoes aren't going to make that much difference if you've not done the training or are having an off day. I know my 4% wouldn't have helped much yesterday.
    As for my lack of cycling prowess, I was dyspraxic as a kid (well, still am somewhat, given how often I fall over!) so I don't think my parents were keen to let me wobble about in London traffic. My friend had a big garden with a mound at one end and tried to teach me by letting me freewheel down the mound, but I ended up in a rose bush and got sent home covered in iodine (her mum had been a nurse at one point). Didn't get on one again.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, for my 5Ks I did 19:27 in a £50 pair of Asics on my own and 19:23 with the Nikes in a ‘race’ (socially distanced) so for me I really don’t think the Nikes helped in terms of performance. There are so many other factors as you say, but they may help recovery I think?  But everything else staying the same, a lighter, carbon bike would automatically make someone quicker I think....there are tests where people ride at the same power output on different bikes for a set amount of time and the difference in performance or distance travelled can be quite large. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - Pilates is a quite good post marathon activity, a few ouch moments as we did more glute work today.   Ironically nothing on the upper body, which we start on next week.    But my hip flexors have stopped twinging now so Pilates sorted that out.

Have you decided on your holiday destination now?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did 20-miles on the bike again this morning at an easy effort, mainly around the track.  It was a nice morning again today.  I'll see how the day goes (OH has a day off today), but I may go out a bit later for a similar session before committee tonight.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - how's the achilles?

Forgot to mention yesterday that I spoke to the RED folk yesterday.   They have applied to LA for their first events at the end of the year, which I think is planned to be 4 marathons in 4 days.   Just in case you fancy a marathon catch up in numbers.  😉