Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well you are determined to get away so you'll manage it.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal: that's crap re: timing for the race. What about biking it there? 

Shades: enjoy the race day. 

I had plans to get out early and do my LSR straight away but B is taking the kids to his parents at 9.40 so it makes more sense to wait and here and go then. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hopefully you'll get that sorted, Cal!  Stressful!

Ian, hopefully you'll get away too.  I seem to know quite a few people who have been to Turkey the last few weeks.  I just noticed lots seem to have gone there for some reason.

Not good news for me I'm afraid.  I went out last night for a very gentle 4.5 miler on the same route as I did the previous day.  I was taking it very, very steady so no fast stuff whatsoever and actually the first 3-miles were great.  Seriously, I was almost starting to feel a bit more positive and planning maybe a 6 mile today!  But then out of the blue, on the flat, there was that sudden stabbing pain that I do worry about so I stopped and walked the mile back home.  Really frustrating as I do feel I've been sensible with this :(  

I think I'm going to make an early decision about next Saturday's 10k and see if I can get rid of my number.  I'm not sure what to do but I think it just needs more time, along with the stretching.  Cycling doesn't seem to aggravate it at all, so I'll stick with that if the weather is nice, and if the weather's not nice I'll try and jump into a virtual class.

If people are at a loose end, I think the race starts at 8am, but Mo Farah is running in Antrim Coast Half Marathon - looks stunning.  It's streaming live on You Tube, their website and their Facebook page.
    https://antrimcoasthalfmarathon.com
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - have a good long run.

Big G - oh no, so sorry to hear your run yesterday ended up with that stabbing pain again.   Bloody tendonitis.

Thanks for the link to the Antrim race, that's a definite change of usual event for Farah. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm watching it now, technical problems so just a view of them in the studio.   Not much SD all sitting close together, don't expect Jo Pavey is happy about that.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Shades, I was just about to say that the coverage isn't great at the moment!  It's strange as it's on BBC Northern Ireland I think but I can't easily get that, but I was presuming the coverage would be the same from their site as it's the same commentators.  Yes the social distancing isn't very good at all, all stuffed into a small room!  They have quite a few big names in the race I think though so I was hoping it would be good.

Wrexham apparently not happening for the elites, but they're saying they're hoping it's happening two weeks afterwards (18th Oct), which seems a bit odd and also not that hopeful possibly?  What difference is two weeks going to make, I wonder?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    They had a live chat going on YouTube but the organisers turned that off, presumably because the comments weren't very complimentary!  Let's see if the Men's coverage is a bit better otherwise I'll be giving up I think!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Ian, the problem is the first tube on the District Line to Kew Gardens doesn't arrive until 7.25am, so it doesn't matter if I go somewhere closer.
    I did try asking clubmates - the one who gave me a lift to Farnborough is running there herself as she wants to get some mileage in.
    It's turning into a bit of a farce - the medals haven't arrived either so they'll have to post them out afterwards, so I'm praying it doesn't go the same way as the other stuff that's gone missing in the post.

I've had a bit of a stressful time with my Garmin, too. While it now uploads activities, it's not recording my HR and sleep as it used to. Maybe not such a big deal as long as it does record my runs, but today the satnav was completely out (this was a 5 mile run, mostly easy, but with some strides).

This is from Strava as it's a bit clearer, but the red line is where the watch said I ran and the blue line is where I actually ran (apart from the first bit which is a little wiggly but mostly right).
    Distance was about right, but Garmin also said I had over 1000m of elevation (Strava was actually correct, more or less) so it must have thought I was on a rollercoaster.

This is not what I need the day before a race, and a run to the race on a route I don't know well.
  • Options
    Big G - it's because the Welsh government will be reviewing the effect of the test events and the First Minister's next review of their guidelines is due on 2nd October so the organiser is hoping that will allow the event to go ahead.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't think it's easy to get regional TV coverage is it.

Maybe Wrexham is down to the LA, perhaps they want local Covid positive tests in the area to lessen before allowing the event.   I don't know what sort of course it is, can they keep spectators away from the course.    Dorney will fill up today on the back of that news then.

Cal - it's not your day is it.   Don't worry about your HR and sleep not recording, what use are they to you.   As long as your pace and distance is correct by your watch then that's what's important.
    Have you had your post today?   

Fair play to you for considering running to your race, not something I would do.    It's a bit like me running to Plym Trail, if I ran to the start it would be 30 miles, run 26.2 miles, run 30 miles home ...eek 😲
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, maybe it was just a GPS/satellite glitch today.  I'm sure the watch will be fine tomorrow.

LMH, thanks for the info.  I hadn't realised that, so there's still some hope for them then.  A clubmate is in the race and is hoping for a good time, so fingers crossed for him and everyone else.

Shades, I haven't got satellite and I can't get the BBC NI coverage on freeview or online as far as I can tell.  But I believe the BBC NI coverage has the same commentators as what we're seeing on Youtube/website, so I'm not sure what's happening.  I switched off and I'm watching yesterday's TdF highlights instead.  It's a shame as the women's race in particular had some big names in it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LMH - thanks for that info, are you running Wrexham?

Big G - I'm sure there are reasons why we can't get regional TV outside of our own area.   The NI TV probably had a decent camera on one of the quad bikes and YT had a duff one on the other quad bike  ;)

Great run from Marc Scott his half marathon debut, in 2nd place.
  • Options
    I have an entry Shades but I'm doing the virtual London so that would make my last long run 26.2 miles two weeks before the rescheduled race (if it happens) and my degenerative knee issue has been a problem for weeks now so it would probably be asking a bit much. To be honest I can't see Wrexham happening two weeks later because I think that the way everyone is behaving numbers will continue to rise and the Welsh restrictions won't therefore be relaxed.
  • Options
    I watched a bit of the Antrim live feed (which was dreadful quality) - my clubmate Steph was running but dropped out unfortunately - no idea what the problem was. Mo won.
  • Options
    Big G - Rotten luck with this injury ahead of all the races but at least you are being sensible and giving it the time it needs. 

Cal - That sucks. Are there no bus routes even if convoluted?

6 miles with work group yesterday which was better than I thought. Just had a good chat and although was slightly over MAF, was all zone 2 so no issues there. Then did 4 miles at MAF this morning which felt a slog as was a fasted run. Long run tomorrow. Quick question. When I was marathon training pre MAF I used gels all the time for anything 7 miles up. Since MAF I haven’t used them at all up to the 12miles or so that I’ve done mainly because I felt I didn’t need it but also to try and train fat-burning whatever that means. Since I’ll be ramping up long runs now ahead of this half, is it worth reintroducing them just on 1-2 long runs so nothing’s new on race day, or use them on all long runs?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LMH - that's a shame your knee is playing up now when we've had months without any races at all, bad timing.  

It's difficult to know what the Welsh government will do, they're often quite unpredictable.   And in the early stages of the pandemic they were a lot less encouraging about exercise.    I don't know if there are any running events being held in Wales right now

Cal - sorry about Steph dropping out, hope she's OK.   Looks like a good race, worth a trip to NI for speedy half marathon runners.

Rcouture - although you do need to trial gels in long runs so that you are comfortable using them in races, there's no real need to use them until you're running longer than 15 miles.   You've already found with your MAF training you didn't need them as much as you thought.  So, yes trial them but you shouldn't need more than one gel in a half marathon race, but carry two just in case.
  • Options
    It's been playing up all year Shades - I had a steroid injection at the beginning of  the year but it's never fully settled and a fall over a loose dog about six weeks ago exacerbated it. No telling what's going to happen/what any government is going to do at the minute!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    LMH: sorry to hear about your knee issue. I agree about the Welsh government and bring quite unpredictable. 

13miles for me this morning. Started out quite cool and windy but ended up very hot. A weird thing is that when I run slower now, I sometimes get a sharp jolt in my ankle/Achilles. If I run faster, it goes away. So strange. 
  • Options
    Shades - That makes sense. What is the downside of lots of gels in races? Historically I’ve found that I can consume a lot with no stomach issues. I get that it’s good to train without them for adaptation, but if I can handle more in a race, is there any reason not to take on as much as I can?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LMH - sorry to hear about the fall, just what you didn't need with your knee.

Emmy - good run from you.   When is your trail race?

Rcouture - the advised amount of carbs to take on board is 30 - 60 grams an hour in a marathon or ultra.   But for a shorter race you should have enough glycogen on board, certainly for 10 miles anyway.  But there's no advantage to overloading yourself, that is likely to lead to stomach issues.   In a race you run faster than in training, so your stomach will not be able to deal with lots of carbs to digest, hence taking them on in small amounts.   If you watch the elite marathon runners they will try and take on as little as they can get away with so as not to risk gastric distress.

In a marathon you will need them more so also you will start taking them on earlier.   You can also use sweets for a change, I can't stomach gels, I use fruit jelly sweets, easy to eat and 3 sweets are 20g of carbs.  Some gels have caffeine, can be helpful in the latter stages of a marathon but you wouldn't want every gel to have caffeine.   You should take on some electrolytes too for a marathon, most gels don't have electrolytes.  Sports drinks have electrolytes, I can't use them either so I use salt tablets.
    The better trained you are the less you need to rely on gels/sports drinks, some runners only take on water.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi Shades: next weekend. Good luck tomorrow. 

Rcouture: I completely agree with shades about gels. I've tried a lot of different ones and normally don't take anything for distances under 10/12miles. 
  • Options
    Shades/Emmy - Understood. I have some gels I like (Maurtens) that sit well with me so will carry on with those. Will be on the lookout for some electrolyte/salt tabs ahead of marathon next year as I’m not a fan of sports drinks. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- I have gels in races,up to half I'd have one before the start then that would see me through,but at your speed I had one at about 1:10 then that seen me until the end,for marathons I like to take them early as I struggle to digest much after 16 miles, so I have 1 at the start then 5,10 and 15m and keep 1 more in case I need a kick later.
    Tried to catch the Antrim race but a shocking feed considering they knew people would watch it,would have been an ideal way to showcase the race.
    10 miles today,nice and easy as usual,felt good,
    Cal/Shades-Good luck for tomorrow.
  • Options
    Ian - Cheers, do you also use electrolytes?

Cal/Shades - All the best tomorrow!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rcouture: I use electrolytes a lot. I prefer high5 zero as well as Gu tabs. The yardstick for me is if they use aspartame. I'll avoid that like the plague. Gu tabs changed their recipe here so I can't take them anymore. Thanks to breastfeeding my electrolytes go off often so I'll always carry them on any run where I'd drink water.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal: hope you've found a solution for your race and have a good one :-)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope you have managed to sort out your transport for today's race.   Good luck.

Emmy - I'm low on salt tablets and can't get any more of the ones I've been using so thanks for the link.

Was strange sorting race kit yesterday, haven't raced since December last year.   Forecast looks good 15 to 20 degrees.   Not expecting much today as no long runs, we'll see.  :/
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck Shades and Cal.

Ian, yes, I think they were trying to showcase the area of Antrim coast.  Before the race they had a promo video of the race, and it was basically designed for potential tourists I think.  But then the race coverage was really bad!

Rcouture, similar to Emmy, I also use High 5 Zero tabs.  I have a routine where I have a couple of tablets before a race, and then take them with me for use during the race, or I use the sports drink available from the larger races.  If it's really hot I make sure I have enough with me as I'll need more.  I don't use gels as I found that I couldn't really stomach them as they tended to make me feel a bit sick, so I tend to use Kendal Mint Cake :)  I don't think I've really got this right though as my better/faster races I often don't need hardly any of the mint cake (maybe one or two squares, or sometimes even none), whereas sometimes I feel like I need the whole, large bar of it and I'm stuffing it down me!  Through the summer whilst I was training sometimes twice I day I'd have a High 5 tablet after the first session, especially when it was hot/humid.  I may have to revisit the gels again as I've not really tried any properly for a few years now.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    BigG: I'm happy to send you some of my high 5 aqua ones. They don't taste like gels at all. 

Shades: I've used succeed a lot during summer races and never had any issues with these ones.