Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Rcouture - Like Ian says as many as you can do without getting injured really. I like to ensure my 5 longest runs total 100+ miles.

I did a 20 miler on Saturday and followed that up with 14 on Sunday to take me to 67 miles for the week. Ran 12 today with 3*2m at MP-10s, those were 13:08/12/15, so was pleased with those as aiming to hit 6:40 for those miles. Not surprising, but after yesterday, my 6 hour event has been moved to 2022!!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - of course you will have a wished for marathon time that you'd like to achieve.   But lots can go wrong during training, injuries/illness etc and most runners get to the start line not having been able to complete the training that they had hoped for.  So it's good not to be too stressed if the training isn't perfect as you take away the enjoyment of the process.

I think we won't have much idea of races until near the end of this lockdown.

My neighbour is a nightmare, I try and avoid her as much as possible.    ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- I cant see there being any races until at least April now,don't worry when they start again we will be talking about them so you will hear of most of them.
    1 hr easy on the bike,covered 19.5m,watched a film at the same time which helped pass time away.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Not sure what it was with my watch.  I had synced to Garmin Connect although it was still out when I started my run, but when I got back the time was correct.  Ho hum.

13 miles today on a very strange route, as like Keith says I've entered into a Who Squares Wins game on Fetch.  For those who don't know, the game involves setting a "home" for the week, and then the system draws a box around that, where the edges are approx 1-mile from your "home" (it doesn't literally have to be where you live).  That box then has 225 squares within it (15x15 squares) and basically the idea is to get as many squares as you can in a week.  I've been drawn against an opponent and there's a game aspect around if your opponent is also doing the same squares as you (your opponent can be anywhere in the world, but they have their own 15x15 box).

Anyway, today's route was very strange.  Basically, I was never much further than 1-mile away from my "home" but I got 13-miles in and covered probably about 1/3 of my square.  Up and down cul-de-sacs, up paths I never knew existed, on roads I've never ever seen, finishing off loops to pinch a square.  Quite hilly though, at about 1600ft, but I did quite enjoy it.  And, importantly, I'm thrashing my opponent currently :)  I think as it's my first time I've been paired with someone else who is also new (or lapsed), but if you keep it up you get paired with people of a similar ability in terms of their weekly mileage to make it a better game and to help avoid someone thrashing someone else.  But my current opponent may do all their mileage on the weekend I suppose - time will tell!

The GPS looks a bit odd!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - sorry to hear your planned event is postponed until 2022.

Hope you can find a substitute event for a little later in 2021.

Big G - I never understand the attraction of the childish stuff they have on Fetch.  ;)  I suppose it's to keep the non runners running.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ooooph, a bit harsh, Shades.  Some of the runners on the game do significant mileage a year, so they definitely can't be described as non runners.  I suppose different people get motivation from different things, especially with no races.  Anyway, I enjoyed it this morning as it got me out onto very different roads than usual.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that was me being kind.  I think stuff like that is pathetic.   It's like my Garmin awarding me badges, primary school stuff.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, each to their own, I guess and many enjoy it.  I was just browsing through and there are people on there doing 3000+ miles a year, and plenty doing  2000+.  I suppose they just like the friendly competition in the games.  I think many have struggled with no races and they're just getting what they can out of whatever platforms they use.  Another example is Zwift, which has plenty of very, very serious cyclists on there, chasing badges, kit and whatever else.  I don't think people would describe serious Zwifters as non-cyclists, and really it's just a hi-tech and very busy version of Fetch, with different games.  I think (well, I know) that the "gamification" of these things is a real motivator for many, so let's agree to differ :)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Training indoors on a turbo is a different thing altogether, especially as serious cyclists need to notch up big mileage to stay fit when the weather is too bad or it's too dark to ride outdoors.

I think you'll find many of the higher mileage runners taking part in the silly games are doing that to show off their high mileage compared to the occasional and non runners.  

Of course I agree to differ.   :). I would be worried if a runner had to use such means as a motivational tool though.
  • Options
    Big G, I did wonder what you were doing when I saw that on Strava!

Garmin will correct the time when you lock on to a satellite. That's the easiest way to change the time when you go abroad.

Shades, I guess I'm a kid...I rather like getting badges on Garmin Connect. :D

Rest day yesterday...then out for a 6 mile plod today. Cold, grey and not nice at all. It's also that time of year when (in my bit of London anyway) people chuck out their Christmas trees and going for a run is like the bloody Grand National.
  • Options
    Keith M StuartKeith M Stuart ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    BG - Just wait til you get higher enough ranking for the multi player WSW game :p That one on the final one to one is SERIOUS mileage often. This time of year its highly weather dependant plus daylight as a fair few roads are roads only with no pavement. You might want to look at whether you can get to all 225 squares as there are several badges for increasing numbers of squares. I got to the 150 covered one which is more or less my max as 200 is next which in the country is not possible without random field access and to hell with the farmers and animals. Townies have it much easier as a lot more is accessible as its housing not fields.

Shades - Funny you say that there was talk of acquiring one of the laptops of leavers for me to use then i can actually work from home. For now we are all at work as normal and unless Sellafield is reducing sample numbers again i dont see that changing.

Ian - I'm hoping they havn't emptied the bog roll section when i go tomorrow night to Tesco's as i am on my last roll. If so i'll just nick some from work ;) On the other hand due to back to work new year Covid testing at work yesterday which i got roped into organising i do have a large food supply currently. Everyone was negative so it's all fine here. I think everyone across the whole company who was tested was negative which i think is good but i would have perhaps expected someone to be positive due to the 200 tests we did roughly.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-That up and down streets would do my head in.Quick question on Zwift,is there a way to know when you are going up or downhill apart from your resistance altering?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, if you have a look at my map on Strava, you can see there are fields etc which I can't get to.  And if I nudge the game in the the other direction, I'm in the sea.  I can tweak it a bit as it's not perfectly placed, but I reckon if I wanted I could get about 75% of the squares.  

Ian, I don't know if it's device dependent but on my laptop, in the top right hand corner it has a percentage gradient figure.  I've marked it with a red circle below, where it's showing -1, so very slightly downhill.

• Options
    BG - It's possible to plan and square shift in to get additional squares if you know where to move it too. I had to resort to this to get to 150. Supposedly you can do this twice so have three squares to work with
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - be careful with those Christmas trees.   A fair amount of our pavements are narrow which is probably why there's no doorstep collection here, they have to be taken to B & Q car park, or for a small donation local charities will collect.

Keith - is your employer doing Covid testing on a regular basis on site?

Hope they haven't been panic buying the toilet roll again  ;)   Thankfully I've not seen anything in the press about panic buying, which only fuels the panic buying.

I'm taking another rest day, when I walked yesterday I could still feel slight pain in my foot, it is worse when wearing trainers.   Roads look dry again, although yesterday our road was dry but I saw ice on a few pavements when I was driving.   Can't wait for this cold spell to pass, just a few more days.
  • Options
    Shades - No one off due to thinking we'd all run round like numpties hugging away new years eve..... Wasn't entirely convinced of the need being we'd had no problems up to now although the reasoning was valid enough. Next theoretical longish break from work would be Easter and i would hope things ar better by then not for it to be needed. If we get a spate of contact isolating messages i might enquire if the provider can do a postal service ad hoc.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    10 miles today, and then I jumped on the bike for a 30-min(ish) easy ride. 

My HR does seem pretty good, which I’m pleased about keeping in mind how much time I had off. Is this down to the cold conditions compared to spring/summer, which I know do suit me?  Or the fact I’m racking up miles on the bike at a low HR?  Or a combination of things?
  • Options
    Keith hope there is plenty of loo roll left! With 2% who have had the virus so 200 tests at a time wouldn’t be surprised to see a positive test.

Big G blimey that’s a weird looking run on strava, all sounds like a bit of harmless fun and maybe found some new roads/ alternate routes to mix things up a bit for future runs?

Rcouture In 2018 I was 1:37 half marathon and had a 3:32 marathon 40-50 miles per week peaking at 60 miles (ran 3x 20 miles and 2x18).  As for spring events Active Training World have 2 marathons in April, they managed to host events at both venues in Oct/ Dec so if events can go ahead then there’s a good possibility they will as went ahead in Oct/Dec.  Not fantastic venues but flat and fast but will scratch the itch if you want to do a marathon.

Shades thankfully the press haven't mentioned the stockpiling words.  People like your neighbour amaze me when they say things like I'm not stockpiling but I'm just going to get some more.  Spose most marathon runners say never again at some point yet are looking at their next race.  Hope the rest does your foot some good, in contrast I should wear shoes for pf not to hurt.

Cal thankfully not had to hurdle any trees this year, not sure my legs could handle it.  I'm no longer on Running community facebook page.  I was blocked by association, a friend of mile made a joke to the admin about their virtual medal and I agreed and blocked, tbh it was getting a bit boring.

Have forced myself out from 3 and 5 mile runs after work the last couple of nights, not been too cold and glad I have done so.  My ankle ligaments are still a bit tender from my fall in October not bothering me too much.

Picked up a pair of Asics GT2000 8 for £75 after the discount, not tried the GTs before but have good reviews picked up another hi viz shirt and some shorts while I was at it too.  

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G. -if you were only running a couple of miles then the cold weather could be a factor.   But as you're running 10 miles the body is warmed up well so take it as a speedy return to fitness.

Once you've achieved a good base, as you did prior to injury, you will regain that strong base quickly.  Far quicker than it took to achieve first time round.

I don't know how much difference the cycling makes, probably a fair amount, but it's the running that will be responsible for you achieving the speed that you had pre injury.

Sorry, can't remember if you've done a MAF test recently?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith -post Christmas holiday season is always a notorious time for staff returning full of colds/flu.   Maybe they just wanted to do the Covid tests to try and avoid an outbreak/cluster now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - xpost
    The stockpiling just makes me cross as it's  selfish and unnecessary.   It just puts  those that work in the supermarkets and supply chains under additional stress.

My foot is feeling a lot better.   As long as it's dry in the morning I think I will try a short run, needs to be 100% ice free so I can run in a natural way without fear of ice.  

Do you still have PF problems?

Bit tough on you blocking you on that FB group, their loss! 

Maybe the colder weather making the ankles feel a bit stiff and sore?

That's a good price for the GT2000, nice shoes.
  • Options
    Rob, that's crap. I've been a victim of that myself. When I was lifting more I used to post on TNation a lot and got virtually friendly with some of the other women there. One of the women got banned for something (can't remember what - I think she was dating another member and it went badly or something) and then all the people who were her virtual friends got banned as well. It's so stupid - I don't even live in the same country.
    I don't hurdle the trees...I just run around them. Being somewhat dyspraxic, I don't trust myself to jump over stuff. :D
    Shades, my local Sainsbury's has plenty of loo roll but are completely out of the moist wipes, which is bad news for me! I suspect that may be more due to the lorry situation in Dover causing backlogs than panic buying.

I was thinking I would go to Battersea Park and do a 5 mile for the virtual road relays, but after that 10K I really didn't feel like I wanted to (espcially since my time would not be fast enough to be counted).
    Then another club mate has come up with a virtual climbing challenge (running from today to the first Wednesday in Feb) where we're all in teams and logging our elevation from our runs. That sounded a lot more like something I'd want to do so I set out around 9:30am to do a hilly MLR. I did a very similar route to the one I did on NYD, but with a couple of extra reps of my favourite nasty hill, Hill Path. Some of the hills I took easy (just get to the top) but I pushed on a few others. Ended up doing 14 miles with well over 400m elevation (Garmin made it 438 while Strava made it around 480 - a bit of difference but not as much as usual).
    Hamstring was complaining towards the end but feels OK now after my customary dunk in Epsom salts.
    I won't be doing hills every day, but it's a good motivator. My team's in the lead on the basis of that run - let's see where we end up in a month.
  • Options
    Shades - there hasn't been the rubbish in the media about stockpiling which seems to help, although hopefully common sense prevails and people have realised there is no need.

Cal - probably for the best dodging the trees. Good to mix up the running and build hills in, uses different muscles.

Another race cancellation, Local  5 rivers challenge it clashed with Elle's half so may not have ran it anyway so an extra £24 back.

Nissan's offer of 63% towards parts will see us with a bill of £500 to replace sensors or around £3k for new gearbox.  We've not accepted yet but given us food for thought.
  • Options
    Cal - Wow that’s a humdinger of a run with all that elevation. I should really get around to exploring all those hills around your way. 

Rob - That’s very helpful context especially as that half time is about where I am. Will look into those races. I’ll be desperate for anything if (when) Richmond is canned and if things open up again in April

7 miles at lunchtime on usual route. Still super slow. Not that I’m concerned but it’s amazing how one time trial and a week’s rest can set my fitness back quite a bit. I’m probably 1min/mi slower than before my TT. I guess it’s because I don’t have many miles years behind me but I’ve also had an elevated resting HR the last 10 days so wonder if I’ve got some bug. 
  • Options
    Shades - I can transfer my entry over to a different 2021 event if they are going ahead, so I'll have to have a look.
    After Big G mentioned his HR it reminded me to look at my long run, 20 miles at 8:55 pace for 129bpm, which is at the top end of my HADD range.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, no I haven't done a MAF test.  I've been avoiding it really for a couple of reasons - 1) it's not perfect conditions on my MAF route, with some wind, but 2) I don't want to get too obsessed about it at the moment, which can easily happen with me!  I'm not even tracking my usual routes on my spreadsheet at the moment as I'm just enjoying the running for now.  Having said that, on a run a few days ago miles 3 and 7 on the flat were fast, and I was surprised when I got home as one of them was the fastest I've done it since MAF training (it wasn't with a tail wind, either!).
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, 

Cal: I like the badges on connect too! 

BigG: I'm kinda glad I don't get into the square challenge as I'd get seriously addicted! 

Shades: hope that the stockpiling doesn't happen. Flour is already low here :-( 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy/Cal, if you like badges, there are some very obscure ones - and some not so obscure - over on Fetch.
  • Options
    Shades - No was concerned with a New YEar 'party' generated spike was the only reason. i even tried pointing out just as likely to get secondary infection from Xmas bigger bubble affect.

Didn't bother going shop i'll go sunday when its warmer i have ONE roll left i'll be fine til then.

FFS don't look at US politics right now some scary shit going down today/tonight
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Crazy scenes, Keith :(  Let's hope Trump is out, asap.  

Rest day from running today, but it's icy outside again.  I've been lucky the last 2-3 days and had no issues with ice.

Went Aldi last night and had no issues.  Pretty quiet in there and stock at normal levels.  In normal times I usually go shopping a few times a week for small bits and pieces but through this we've been going roughly once a week.  Apart from in the early parts of the first lockdown I haven't really struggled, except I couldn't get hand sanitiser for a few weeks early on.