Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don't think Seth does coaching but Ben Parkes (based in London) does and offers coaching packages remotely I believe.  He also has a line of clothing which I think is quite well regarded.  He's the guy that did something like 2:30 at London with a GoPro, and his channel escalated from there.

Shades, I meant to say, I had my first attempted dive bomb of the year today by a blasted seagull, which seems very early for that type of shenanigans!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Last I checked they were doing ok.Gutted for Jonny,esp after what happened for the commonwealth's,hope 2 others don't get thr time for his sake.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Think I have roughly the same MAF HR as you and it’s amazing to think back to last May that the idea of running continuously at all at that kind of bpm felt a very long way for me. I can now plod about happily for miles at 135ish on a good day. 

Shades - Nice 8 miles. Meant to warm up from now down here at least. Re mileage I guess it depends on what EA say on the 22nd and whether I do preferred Richmond on the 16th of may or MK on the 3rd. But basically I will aim to run as much as work/family allows. I have had 4 60 mile weeks this year and am comfortable at that level so would like to up that, but life is the constraining factor. My wife is going in for her operation at the end of this month and the only upside to that is that I will be off work for a couple of weeks and her parents will be here so should allow time for me to run. I guess the other option if I don’t have time to add miles is to add intensity and I do plan at least 2-3 20milers with some goal pace thrown in. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, yes, it is very interesting looking back.  I do still have to walk up some of the slopes around here, but it's moments like today when I realise how much I've improved.  Also, on yesterday's run on the flat at 142, I did 8:23 towards the end of the run, where as when I started this it would have been 10mins, sometimes even slower than that.  One slight question mark is the weather; it really is perfect at the moment for me with low humidity, low temps and not much wind.  It'll be good for me to see how I'm doing when the humidity/temps rise for a proper comparison, but I'm still hopeful.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Barkley Marathons have started and Courtney's in it.  Obviously no trackers or anything, and as far as I know no international athletes (I know Canadian Gary Robbins pulled out a few weeks ago).  Trying to get info is difficult as it depends on what the athletes or their supporters tweet as the event unfolds.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think a lot more coach but don't mention it otherwise they'd be inundated with potential applicants.

You must have upset that seagull, far too early for chick protection.  ;)  

They are nesting now though.  Our (non aggressive) seagulls have come back and they spent two weeks making the most awful racket as while they were away the householder erected another TV aerial and the seagulls were furious.   They squawked at the aerial incessantly and now have finally accepted that it's not going to move and have settled quietly next to it.

Maybe this summer you can work on running in warmer weather.   I know we're all different, (such as me hating the cold), but you can acclimatise to running in warmer conditions.  As I'm a factor 50 type and I also hate hot weather I never thought I could be able to do a marathon in hot weather but I have learned to cope with it and amazingly don't seem to suffer as much as others.   A lot of my PB's were set in 18-22 degrees.  

Ian - yes, I'm hoping Jonny gets a place, he's worked hard to get where he is.   I don't know the chances of 2 others improving on his time on the day.

Rcouture - you have improved dramatically since you started HR training, a true testament that it works.

That's good that your wife will get her operation soon.    Your marathon training is done really so if you don't get to run when or as long as you'd like it really won't make a great deal of difference at this stage.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - hide that credit card, I see the Arahi 5 are out  ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I do very often shy away from the hotter weather.  My PB was about 10deg I think (started a bit less than that too), and I remember other runners putting coats on even after they'd started running as they were cold whereas it was perfect for me.  Even 18-22 would feel too hot for me as I'd be dripping with sweat within a mile.   I may be being overly concerned though as when I did that MAF test the other week it was really windy and I still did well, so we'll just see what I'm like over the summer.  I have "ran" hot marathons (well, ran/walked), but I don't do well generally, and it something I need to work on really.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Big G - the 'hot' marathons aren't pleasant, I've done quite a few in 30+ degrees including 3 in 3 days and every day it got hotter so day 1 was 31, day 2 was 33, day 3 was 34.   By Day 3 the tarmac had melted and my shoes were ruined as I couldn't get the tar off.  That was part of a 10 in 10 and some of the runners were so ill doing so many consecutive days in the heat.   Thankfully I'd only entered the 3 days.  Anything over 30 degrees and times go out the window, it's survival mode then.

I see the Tour of Britain is back in September and they have a tough day over Dartmoor, touching on the DD route a little

Route details for Devon stage of UK's top cycling race announced | News | Mid-Devon Advertiser
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture/Big G-Great to hear you guys are seeing some good improvements,hopefully more on the way.
    Shades-I don't think they have to improve on his time,I think Jonny got 2:10:15 or similar,but the OG qualifying is 2:11:30,so theoretically 2 could run 2:11:29 and they would automatically be selected along with Callum Hawkins.
    Managed a quick 6 miles before my jab today,will see how I am tomorrow before I decide if I will run or not.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian -oh I see, I don't want anyone to have a bad run but I'd like JM I get a place.   I wonder if we'll be able to watch it.

You'll have seen that there are variable reactions to the vaccine.   I was OK the following morning to run which I did.   But if I'd planned to run later in the day I wouldn't have done so as I was very tired and had a headache.  I was OK by the next morning and ran again.  Sore arm for 3 days.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Theres a interview with the race director on mararhon talk........they are hoping it'll be on the bbc red button live.......first 2 past the post get selected, as long as they have the qual time, the only person in the mens race with the time at the mo that is running is ben connor, mellor has the time but cant run, so he needs 1st or 2nd to miss the time......in the ladies quite a few have the qual time....8am start next fri.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    TR - That would be great for me if it’s on the telly as it’s the course I’m supposed to run in May so would be a preview. 

7 mile easy run in the dark this eve. Uninspiring really as quite tired from work. 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Not wishing to disappoint you, Rcouture, but I think the trial is on a very different course, given the course description! 
    285m start section, 7 laps of 5493m, final lap of 3307m and finish section of 150m.

Hope indeed that it is broadcast.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I can't run in the morning,so it's tomorrow afternoon or same Saturday 
    The race is a week tomorrow, I think Josh Griffiths and Ben Connor have the best chances of qualifying.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    As ale said its multiple laps, i thought thet said 10ish ? Not sure on that......theres a few newbies that could go well. Connor is in a good place, as he just has to follow and then stay in top 2.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - if you miss a run or two it will be for a very good reason. 

TR - thanks for the info, I do hope it's on BBC RB live.   When they usually have the qualifying marathon events we only get minimal coverage of how the athletes are doing as TV coverage is on the race leaders, such as when at London.   Understandable but would still be nice to see more of the UK runners.

alehouse - I understand you've been through the wars lately.   Hope you are now recovering.

Rcouture - will be great motivation for you to watch Richmond, not that you need motivating though.    :)  I bet they won't be doing the pebbly bit of the course that you'd have to do.  ;)

6 miles today, legs felt heavy and tired so shortened run from planned 8 miles, have rest day planned for tomorrow.   Better weather today, comfortable 8 degrees, although I'd like it warmer, nice morning.

Car sailed through it's MOT, I did have the aircon serviced with optimistic hope of long hot drives to races in the summer.   B)    Bill was £70 less than budgeted, so perhaps some running kit shopping  :)  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, good news on your MOT; it's always good when they fly through like that.

Looking forward to that trial too.  Hopefully we'll be able to get the coverage somewhere.

I had a very tough race last night on Zwift, which took 67mins.  67mins pretty much "full gas" (as the cyclists seem to call it) is hard work, but again strangely enjoyable.  It was a Team Time Trial again and my team of 7 were on Discord making sure we know what we're doing, but the team captain had technical issues which wasn't ideal.  But a very good session anyway.

I had pencilled in a run this morning but I'm tired from last night's race, so it'll be a rest day today apart from possibly an easy hour or so on the bike.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Always good when the MOT passes.
    Feel drained today,I was ok this morning but after a few hours of worked I feel wrecked,little sore head,hopefully last today then all good.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - will have to spend out next time on the car, couple of warnings on the health check.   But that's OK, it's the unexpected costs that are the most unwelcome.

You ran yesterday on your planned rest day so nothing lost in your training by resting today.   Are you able to rehydrate fully after a tough evening session like that?   When I rarely run in the evening I find it hard to rehydrate properly before bedtime which means I always feel a bit more tired the next day than I should do.

I forgot to say I so enjoyed Paris-Nice, but found it tough watching the final stage.   I really felt for Roglic, he is amazing.   I loved the day the Belgians made a breakaway including de Ghent of course, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't his idea. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - xpost.   That's how I felt, I did take paracetamol for my sore head and that helped.   Hopefully you should be OK tomorrow, maybe a little tired but not so bad as today.   Some people say it's like having a hangover.   ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Shades, yes, it is much harder to recover at that time.  My team started at 6:50pm, but I did a 25-min warmup, race, 10-min cooldown, shower and then I didn't eat until about 8:45pm.  I did take electrolytes but I am still a bit dehydrated and my legs are tired, so no point running today.  I could do a short recovery run, but probably a day off would be better.  All being well, I'll get a couple of runs in over the weekend.

Shades, I was going to mention about Paris-Nice.  I also enjoyed it, but at the same time there was an Italian race called Tirreno-Adriatico.  Apart from Roglic, it had a lot of GC contenders (Pogacar, G Thomas, Bernal), but also a lot of the stars like Alaphilippe, van Aert and van der Poel.  Pogacar won the overall (he's in fine form, as he also won UAT Tour), but Alaphilippe, van Aert and van der Poel all won stages.  van der Poel won a couple of stages, but nearly lost the penultimate one as Pogacar closed him down even though van der Poel had a 3min lead at one point, and he won the stage by just 10-secs.  He was totally finished at the end, sprawled on the floor.  It was an amazing race, with each stage being exciting.  They're all off to Milan-San Remo this Saturday for the first Monument of the year.  van Der Poel is one of the favourites, but people are wondering if he cooked himself at Tirreno-Adriatico, or whether he'll recover in time.

Regarding Roglic, I saw he got some stick for winning the penultimate stage, taking it from a newer rider (Mader) with seconds to spare.  I don't understand that criticism.  He's a racer, his team worked hard to put him in that position, why wouldn't he take the win?  The argument is that it would potentially have catapulted Mader's career and would have been a huge win for him, but personally I'd have been disappointed if Roglic had gifted anything.  He's such a talent, a nice guy it seems, and he just gets on with it.  He didn't complain when the Bora Hansgrohe team put time into him after his fall - he went up and shook the winner's hand straight after the race.  He did the same after he lost the TdF.  I don't understand the criticism.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X-Post Ian, I hope you're back to normal very soon.  Great news you've had the vaccine though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm exactly the same if I run in the evening, I drink as much as I reasonably can before going to bed but it's obviously not the same as gradually rehydrating during the day as I do with my usual morning runs.

I was only watching the highlights of Paris-Nice and they, David Millar etc,  mentioned about Roglic taking the win on the penultimate day and depriving the other rider from his first big win.   But after and during the final stage they said several times that it's important to bank seconds whenever possible as you never know what might happen the next day.   Roglic had two crashes and had to have his dislocated shoulder put back after one crash and he still didn't sit up and let the race go, his buttocks looked so sore too.  😭  Painful to watch.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just been reading AW on the runners for Richmond.   Race walkers go off at 6 am and runners at 8 am.

British Olympic marathon and race walks trials: Who, what and when? - AW (athleticsweekly.com)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, regarding the Team Time Trial I did, they do have multiple teams and start times across the day so I could just join another team.  The main group I ride with are called The Herd, and they enter multiple teams (they had 30 teams yesterday across the day), so I could just enrol for a morning event and get a place in one of those teams instead.  I may have a think about that, as it would definitely help recovery.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - perhaps changing the time of day for a Zwift session like that is a good idea if you have a longish run planned for the following morning.

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Hopefully you’ll be fine within a day or two

10 miles at lunch inc. 30mins tempo at 7:07min/mi. Absolutely gorgeous sunshine along the Thames. Meant it was a bit crowded sadly. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I felt better earlier for a few hours but a bit rough again this afternoon.
    I see the next %2 are out next Thursday, they are £30 cheaper than the current ones for some reason,OH has 25% off so may treat myself to a new pair.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it's strange that decision about the price of the Next% 2, but possibly it's partly because the Adidas equivalent are still cheaper?  It makes the Alphaflys look very pricey now too.