Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, travel should certainly apply to road and race events too.  :)   

We all know that at Easter the roads are going to be very busy with people heading for a day out, although strictly I suppose they should stay local.   It doesn't affect me until late April, but if I am driving some distance to a race I think I'd want more clarity that the permission to travel does apply to me, not just elite.   Anyway I'm sure that question will be asked.   Also would car sharing be allowed, many runners rely on their friends/clubmates for travel to races.

Gorgeous spring morning here, a good 10 degrees warmer than yesterday and the birds were singing their heads off.   :)  My usual Tuesday 8 mile hilly town run, most enjoyable, although the final hill is so hard.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Let's hope the guidance is updated for road running early this week....

RCouture, well done on the long run and it's great you're feeing so good after it :)  

Shades, well done on your run too.  I need to get out on some proper hilly stuff, which I'm not really doing routinely.

I went out for 20-miles today.  Some hills, but also quite a lot of flat as well, but it was enjoyable out there.  OH and made some homemade flapjack so I took some of that along with some water, which I refilled at one point on the seafront and put some more electrolytes in.  I did stop for a natter with a club mate for about 5mins who was out running (he lives in Totnes, but either runs or cycles to Torquay for work).  He's doing DD and we had a chat about that.  Anyway, the run went well, and again felt I could have carried on, so that's good news too.  Regarding hills though it was about 1600ft of elevation so probably need to seek a few more out at some point... :(  

Part of my run went up a road with all the most expensive houses in the bay.  Stunning views up around there and lots of million-pound plus properties.  There are some apartments and I just had a look and a 2-bedder is on the market for £400k, which is expensive around here.  A couple of houses on the market for £4.8m and £2.4m respectively. :)  Not sure what they thought about me having a nose around up there in my running stuff, but it's a public road.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think you're doing very well with your DD training, you did a hilly long run only a couple of days ago.

I love gawking at nice houses when I'm out running, can get a good look which you wouldn't if you were driving past.

I guess that was Ilsham Marine Drive you ran along.   Reminds me of a lady in my Pilates class, she invited another of the ladies to visit her for coffee and gave her the address.   After the first lady had left the 2nd one said to me that the address was incomplete as she had only put the name of the house not the number.   I had to tell her that in IM Drive I didn't think there were house numbers. Her face was a picture 😂, she wasn't local and didn't realise that it was millionaires row.

I see the DD transfer list is moving quickly, quite a few withdrawals too.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it was Ilsham Marine Drive.  It is very nice up around there.  It was amusing though as I'd planned to walk up the hill there, and I was rooting around in my bumbag looking for my flapjack and taking some water.  I was looking at the houses and admiring the views as I walked by, at the same time as some locals were out walking their dogs whilst I was stuffing my face.  They seemed friendly enough though, and we waved at each other :) 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-That was a good run,building nicely now.
    I was hoping for a long run today but I've ended up with tons to do so only had just over an hour spare so done a quick 8 miles around the park.Easy pace is picking up nicely now for the same effort,I definitely feel like I could do a good HM time,just 6 weeks to try and get some endurance in.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Big G - I've found householders/locals even friendlier on passing during the pandemic.   I guess they're pleased to see others out and exchange a brief greeting.

If you get to do Windermere this year when you're on the road into Bowness you pass some beautiful lakeside properties worth a few million I guess, distracts the mind from the tired legs for a while.

Ian - it's been a long haul for you back to a great level of fitness.    I don't suppose you can find a half marathon right now to do.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Doesn't look like it,there is a 10k on the 10th on looking at,all depends on our moving house,just waiting on the 2 in our chain agreeing a date,1 wants a little longer,1 wants next 2 weeks so just need some compromise off 1 of them 
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Nice running all. 7 miles for me this evening at a nice low 136bpm for 9:20 per mile which is good for me. Hamstring niggle from rest day yesterday seems all gone which is a relief. 
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Do you normally do a warmup for your 10 mile MP runs or just get into it?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- I normally run a mile or so to the park and then go from there,then a mile home as a cool down.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Ian - you might be too busy moving house to think about a race.   Hope those in the chain set a date between them, must be frustrating.

Rcouture - that is a relief the hamstring niggle has disappeared.   However, perhaps you should be cautious and not do any speedwork or faster runs this week.   The niggle may be nothing but it could be a warning and at this stage of your training perhaps not worth the risk.   Hamstring injuries usually occur when upping the pace.

7 miles today, lovely Spring morning.   I see quite a few early morning runners now, which is good considering that there aren't the usual Spring marathons to train for this year.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    10-miles this morning on my regular seafront route, and I had a good run out.  Then I came back and jumped on the bike for 45-mins, which was enjoyable too.  Not quite sure what I'm going to be doing the rest of the week regarding running as it'll depend a bit on how I feel after tomorrow's Zwift race, plus I'm hoping to get a 5k effort in at some point over the weekend.

Hopefully we'll hear something from EA soon...!
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Nice 7 miles. Yes will take it easy this week for sure. Think will try some of Ian’s goal pace runs next month. I take it there is still no clarity from EA?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a good day's training done nice and early in the day.   Friday morning we have the Olympic marathon trials to watch, just in case you're planning your training  ;)  

Rcouture - yes, try the MP runs next month, can't believe that will be end of next week.   :open_mouth:

I'm wondering if EA/RunBritain/Sport England are going to wait until after Thursday's vote in parliament on the changes to be implemented on 29th March.   Doesn't explain why they published Track & Field rules so promptly though.  It's so annoying for the runners but it's the race organisers that are left in limbo.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Yorkshire Marathon have put a permit in for 17th October. 
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    10 miles easy this evening with HR nice and low despite crap sleep which is encouraging. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Rcouture - hope you've had a better night's sleep.

I see Hoka do another stability shoe, Gaviota 3, I've never heard of this one before.  Probably too stable for you now.

8 miles today, 4 miles flattish and 4 miles hilly.  Nice morning, had some rain which was pleasant and then the sun came out.   I often see a lonely black alpaca on this route and previously he's been in a field with a few sheep but he always stays away from them.   Today they've got him some new friends, a couple of goats the very large ones with the droopy ears, and the alpaca looks really happy now.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Bought the new vaporfly, and another pair of invincibles.At first it wasn't letting the discount apply but it kicked in later,so got them then.Wasn't paying  full price for them.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - just as well you're moving house, you might be needing more space for all these new shoes   ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Been told I need to get rid of a few pairs when we move,about time really as a lot haven't been used in a long time.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I hope to watch the race  too.  8am start, I think, so quite an early one for both the runners and the potential viewers!

Ian, well done on getting a pair of the new shoes :)  

RCouture, nice run with a low HR there.  Must be very encouraging.

Something slight different for me today.  My Zwift Team Time Trial started at 9:26am (very precise!), so I decided to do a kind of a brick session and ran 5-miles easy, came home and jumped on the bike for the very tough race, and then ran 3-miles as a kind of a cool down.

The "transitions" (if you want to call them that) weren't exactly slick as I wasn't in a massive rush, but I'm calling it a brick session of sorts :)  The first run (very easy) and ride went okay, but I was running very slowly in the second run in an attempt to keep the HR low.

As for the race, I did well and was pleased with my effort on the bike, and much prefer the AM race as opposed to the PM.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - no point in keeping them if you don't use them.

Big G - that's still a good brick session even if you're not doing speedy transitions.

RunBritain have updated their website, can't be bothered to try and work out what's been amended.   Can't see anything on EA website yet so no idea about travelling.

https://www.runbritain.com/covid-19-uk-road-race-guidance
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good efforts there,how is the duathlon looking?
    Shades-It will be a good opportunity to start again.
    I nearly didn't buy the shoes, for some reason from 8-8.30 it was instant buy so couldn't add to basket and get the 25%off,but at 8.30 I could so bought them then.
    Went for a faster run today,10m at what felt like HMP,came out just under 1:30 pace so happy enough with it.When I thought I was in sub 3 shape last summer I did the same run nearly 5mins quicker.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, as far as I know the duathlon is going ahead....  Probably I've not done enough in terms of brick sessions, but if I make the start line it'll be something a bit different for me anyway.  Pacing is going to be an issue as I've no idea; it's 10k-run/42k-ride/5k-run so I'm not really sure how to pace it, but I'm sure I'll figure it out :)  But I'll say now, if it's bad weather I'll skip it as I'm not in it to get a soaking on the bike as that would be miserable, and I've not really got the wet weather riding gear.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - todays update says racing can go ahead as planned. Dorney organisers have said all of their races are on going fwd.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - but you're on your way back to sub 3 shape.   Look what progress you've made just in the last month.

Big G - is this the April duathlon you're doing?

TR -  EA  have now finally issued an update, completely pointless.   The items they had said they were going to clarify, i.e. travel and under trail what formally organised events were they don't even mention them.   So all racing on and they've wasted weeks of our and race organisers time doing sweet FA.   Their level of incompetence is breathtaking.

https://www.englandathletics.org/athletics-and-running/news/guidance-update-2021/
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    This is more useful.   Scroll down to Item 3 which applies from 29th March.  Re travel, clearly says can travel to take part but no overnight stays.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-grassroots-sports-guidance-for-the-public-and-sport-providers
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I'm happy with where I am up to,6 weeks ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be in this position.
    Great news about races going ahead,I think the advice about not staying over will change on April 12th as that is when self contained accommodation is allowed to open up again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you should be happy.

Yes, I didn't scroll down to 12th April changes but I expect they're further down on the gov.uk document.

You'd better book yourself that weekend in MK 🙂
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, the duathlon is in April.  It's not the one in Torbay, but it's near Woodbury Common.

The thing with all this EA stuff is that I think we all looked at the government roadmap a few weeks ago and thought this would be the outcome.  It's very odd how long it's taken for EA to publish this.  But at least we have it now.