Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I wish there were more 20 mile races as they're really good to use as a measure of marathon fitness.  Nothing like as tiring as a marathon either without that final 10k.

Am at airport now, packing that bloody trophy was a challenge as it took up more space than my running shoes.  Still under my baggage allowance though.

It's been lovely to get away from home for a few days, last trip anywhere was 2019.

Although Covid cases have been rising here, more hospital admissions and deaths too, everyone here says that "we just have to get on with life".   A few people wear masks, but they may be visitors to the island, I don't know.   At the airport no staff wearing masks and we've just been told to put them on at the boarding gate.   Departure lounge is quiet and we're all well spread out.

Will do a LF test when I get home tonight.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I didn’t do the relays as I’ve still got Bath Two Tunnels in mind (my phone and ‘fat fingers’ originally wrote Two Stubbles...). The hammie is still not quite right so I don’t want to risk it getting worse at the moment with faster stuff. It’s generally fine at MAF so have mainly been sticking to that along with Zwifting these last couple of weeks. Sounds like you had a great time away, which is what it’s all about!

Speaking of Zwifting, just done another easy hour on there and enjoyed it. 
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Well done on the race and the oversized trophy. Sounds like you had a great weeekend all around in IOM

Speaking of Isles, we are off to Isle of Wight for a week on Friday then Tenby for another week. Much as I’d rather go abroad at this stage especially with this weather, it’s at least an excuse to get the trail shoes out and do some exploring so am looking forward to that. 

7 miles this evening for me. Dodged the rain and had an enjoyable slow run. 
  • Options
    Rcouture you did well do dodge the showers were plenty of them about! Enjoy your travels, great chance to run some different routes.

shades hope you have a safe flight.  My first overnight stay is on the m4 for my 50 miler… not so glam! 

Big G I’ve heard some nightmare stories about WBAC, but if the price is right you can’t go wrong and you can always drive away.  They said that time to sell is now as people aren’t selling cars but by September when the new plates come out there will be plenty about and their prices they offer will drop.

Another 8 miles on a new route over Watford way down a disused railway before working as lakeside assistant for ATW.  I got drenched as caught in an epic downpour, thankfully had a towel and spare clothes and shoes to change into.

May get out for a few easy miles tomorrow morning, was going to drive to Chelmsford to watch some cricket and have a run before the game but it’s sold out, so will be going to Oval instead now.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - ha, ha at the Two Stubbles, is that perhaps as you haven't had a shave for a day or so?  ;)

It's good the hammie isn't affected by your usual training and long races.   Did you get a physio appointment sorted?

Robert - lovely pics, is that you in the canoe?

My next overnight stay is also off the M4 (in Wiltshire), but it's not that bad, just nice to actually be somewhere different for a change, you'll enjoy it.

You've definitely found your running mojo.   :)

Had a good flight home and a speedy drive home on the M5 with hardly any traffic, it was a joy to drive.
    Forgot to do my LF test when I got home, I was halfway through my cup of coffee when I remembered.   I will do it today, I had cancelled Pilates anyway, so won't go anywhere until I've done a test.

Recovery run 5miles today, oh what a mistake to put it off and not do it the day after my race but my toes were too sore, they're OK today.   First mile was so uncomfortable, probably not helped by a lot of driving and sitting around yesterday.    Fresh this morning, needed fingerless gloves.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert/Big G - looks like it's a very good time to sell a 2nd hand car, just seen this..

Second-hand car sales soar amid shortage of new models - BBC News
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have a phone appointment on Friday (NHS), and I think if they want to see me, I can sort out a face-to-face afterwards, but I don't think they will come up with anything revolutionary to what I'm already doing.  It may be one of those that I just have to continue to manage for a little while and I am pleased it is not stopping me running at the moment. 

6-miles this morning.  A really lovely run today, just nice and steady, but felt like I had a bit of spring in my step on parts of it today.  Really enjoyed it....

....which prompted to come home and immediately book Two Tunnels 50K and the associated campsite. 

All this talk of isles, OH and I are very much hoping to get up to Scotland soonish.  Isle of Skye is on the list. :)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I'm sure you'll have a lovely time in the IOW and Tenby.    I think Tenby is a great place, don't really know the IOW.    But the faff with PCR tests is too much hassle to go abroad right now.

Big G - I guess it would just be good to know if the hamstring is back related or not, I expect you know that already.

Great news you've signed up for the 50km, PB then  :smiley:

Make sure you only do the Scottish trip when its not midge season, vicious little blighters. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Have a great time.
    Shades-Glad everything went well on the journey back.
    We have booked a week in madeira the end of this month so will see of it goes ahead.They are green watchlist so worst should be they go Amber which is fine,if they stay green we only need a test 3 days before we leave,if Amber we then need a day 2 test after we get home but I can live with that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - let's hope this time you will get your holiday.   Madeira is a long way from the rest of Portugal so you should be alright.   My ex husband is from Madeira, now lives there again, as far as I know.    It's a lovely place, amazing food.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, Shades. Yeah, PB I suppose, as it is an officially measured 50K course and I've not done one before.  They did ask me for an estimate of my time and I just put down sub-5hrs.  Presuming things go fine on the day that seems realistic without knackering myself too much (I don't want to knacker myself as it's not a key race, plus I have an event the weekend after, and I still ideally want to train the week after too).  50K starts at 8:30am for all entrants, whereas because I was late booking I would have been in a 10am wave for the marathon, so I just decided to do the 50K, plus the 50K course does seem better as you said.  

It's been a long time since I've done this, but I'm just looking at parkrun options for on the way up on the Saturday, and seeing if I can tick a different location off.  I used to be all over this pre-Covid, but I have just had to look my stats up as I had forgotten; I have so far done 164 events at 28 locations.  Also looking to see if I can get to a parkrun whilst in Scotland, but there are not that many on the North Coast where we're going, so no problem if I can't get to one there.  We're not really planning the trip from A-B-C as we want flexibility to stay somewhere for an extra night or drive longer on a day if we want, so can't say for sure where I'll be on a Saturday.  Also looking for races (not marathons really), but again not much going on as far as I can see. 

Cal, what are your parkrun stats like now in terms of parkrun tourism/overall numbers? 
  • Options
    Rcouture - if you and your family like amusement parks, Oakwood is near Tenby - it has a nice wooden coaster amongst other things.
    Shades, I never have any appetite after a marathon, but I always eat like a horse the following days. Safe travels.
    Lovely pictures, Rob. Yes I'll have to come and do Panshanger before too long...and we still need to get to Jersey Farm!
    Ian, have a lovely time.
    Big G... I have done 124 runs at 75 different events. My biggest issue now is that if I want to keep visiting new ones, it's going to get more expensive and time consuming as I've done all the runs in London. I heard rumours of a couple of new ones starting here before the whole pandemic thing but it's been quiet since so no idea if they'll still happen.
  • Options
    I forgot to write about my run!  :D After a week of appalling sleep I was feeling pretty rough yesterday so didn't go to the gym until 11, and just did a bit of elliptical and the minimum amount of rehab. 
    A bit of a better sleep last night but felt groggy when I woke up so decided to eat and then go out after 9am. I got to enjoy the sunshine but I could feel my breakfast in my gullet despite having eaten it three hours prior. I just had my normal breakfast (oats with whey protein, chopped apple and walnuts) so I think I will have to go back to a carb-only breakfast again for later runs. 
    Legs felt heavy, too...I'd have thought the lack of a Sunday long run and an easy (gym) day yesterday would have meant they'd feel a bit bouncier, but I guess the lack of sleep has hampered recovery. Keeping fingers crossed I'll feel better tomorrow as I want to do a longer run.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Ian - I’m sure you’ll be fine for your trip at month end. We’ve got Portugal booked for October which seems an eternity away. 

Cal - A wooden coaster seems interesting if a bit daunting! Think our little ones are a bit small for coasters which is a shame as I’m a fan. 

5 miles for me this AM from my office to Waterloo station. Popped in for the first time in 18 months for a meeting. It was very odd and the building is still only at 10pct capacity. I decided to test out a commuting running rucksack I got at Christmas. It was a decently good fit without too much wobble but it raised my HR by a good 10bpm. I’m sure there is some strength building value to running with a heavier pack but not great for form and certainly not for MAF. When going back to work regularly I will try to keep to my lighter pack which basically just holds a shirt and trousers and only use this one when necessary for times I have to bring in laptops and shoes etc… A shame as just means a bit more organising and faffing about as to what I keep in the office. 
  • Options
    shades, I wish it was me in the canoe, not sure if I’d fit in one though😆.  Well done on the recovery run, hope the test comes back negative.  I did one randomly this morning too as felt a bit meh.

Big G quite enjoy 50km distance, for me a chance to slow it down a bit and takes the pressure off.

Ian hope Madeira stays green! Hoping to book somewhere in October half term but unsure if to risk it.

Cal shame you’ve done all the London parkruns, it starts getting an expensive hobby when you start paying for train tickets.  Have you looked into getting a network rail card? Think it’s £30 a year and you get 1/3 off off peak travel in the south east (I think).  I don’t run well after lack of sleep either, the couple of days rest should do you well for your next run.

Rcouture glad you finally got round to using your commuter rucksack, its a balancing act trying to make sure you got everything you need each time.

After a late night last night I woke up and didn’t fancy trekking into London to watch the cricket so having an easy day, took the bike out for a short spin then ran a few miles on jelly legs.  Off to meet a mate and have a few beers to watch Stevenage vs Luton (big derby) in the cup.  7 day streak running 32 miles ran, main thing is getting out and running rather than the distances. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Big G - I hope you'll enjoy the 50k, the tunnels are amazing and if you lived nearby can be used for speed training intervals as they are marked out 100 metres etc.   When I did it the longest tunnel had music playing, chamber music I think.

Cal - I got home last night. 😃

Definitely seems you need a light easy digestible breakfast pre runs, then you can have your normal breakfast post run.   Although I struggle to take on fuel in a race I have no problem eating beforehand.  We're all different.

Rcouture - must have felt weird going into the office.   I suppose the backpack is something you'll get used to.
    I'm sure you'll soon have the organising of kit/work stuff down to a fine art.

Robert - lateral flow test was negative for me too, thankfully.   I'll do my next one on Friday, if that's negative then I shouldn't have picked up the virus on my trip away.  I think 2-5 days is the incubation period for the virus.  There was no social distancing on the IOM and very few masks.   It really was lovely and relaxing.  I even had my trophy presented with customary handshake!

Well done on the streak.😊
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-How many hours drive would that be to Scotland? It's far enough for me.
    Rob-Good to see you're getting some miles in.
    Rcouture-Some difference with the rucksack,I'd love to do it but we don't have showers.
    Added .25m on to my loop tonight,will add it out and back so gets my after work run to 7.5m now,just need to remember to turn left straight away and not go down the hill I've done for the last 4 months,nearly forgot on day 1.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, it’s about 8hrs to Loch Lomond and then a further 4hrs to Applecross, which is the start of the North Coast 500. But we’re stopping on the way up in The Lakes and Loch Lomond, will do the NC500 in probably around 7 days (quite leisurely) which ends in Inverness, and then make our way back possibly via Yorkshire Dales. And if it’s dreadful weather we’ll bin it all and come home early! We’ve got some tentative plans for a couple of nights away in Cornwall afterwards as we have two shows we’re seeing (well, we’ve not got tickets for one show yet, but hoping to secure them when they’re on sale on Friday), so that should be good too. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Epic journey,hope it goes well.MIL is currently on Skye,said the weather has been terrible so hopefully getting it all out the way now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that will be a lovely trip.   

A few times I drove up to Rosyth to do the Two Bridges, which was a 35 mile road ultra twinned with DD.   It's a long drive, 500 miles each way, but as I was still working I didn't have a lot of choice when to do the drive, I soon found out not to do it on a Friday.   I used to leave at 7pm on the Thursday and drive to Tebay Services, stay there for the night and drive the rest on the Friday morning.

Did you get the email from Davey about JS's 300th marathon?   She asked me at RED event if I would be there for her 300th, I said I wouldn't as December is too cold for me, she did promise me mild weather.   ;)

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I got the email about her 300th.  I haven't decided yet what to do.  I am looking at other marathons in UK, and need to figure out what I'm doing and have a rough plan for the 100th otherwise it'll sneak up on me!  If I do miss out on the Xmas one, it won't be the end of the world.  Did you see that RED are looking at doing a quad - NYE, NYD, 2nd Jan, 3rd Jan.

Regarding the NC500 trip, it is something that has been on 'the list' for quite some time.  3 or 4 years ago I looked at hiring a motorhome to do it.  Of course you can do it using B&Bs/hotels too, or wild camping in tents (personally I wouldn't do that!).  When I had my other campervan years ago we very briefly thought about it but we didn't go too far in that one as it wasn't very reliable!  This one is very comfortable but it'll be interesting to see what I think after using it for 10-14 days away as we need to think about what to take with us for 2 weeks, otherwise it could soon get very messy/untidy with stuff everywhere!  Of course, I want to run when I'm there but it could be cold so I probably need shirts plus long sleeved shirts.  I even probably need 4 pairs of shoes - walking boots, normal trainers, road running shoes, trail shoes.  It could be quite a lot of stuff!  I am really looking forward to it though but if the weather is really bad we will stop the trip and come home, but obviously we're hoping we don't have to do that.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I was looking at possibly doing Guernsey marathon but if I did then JS's 300th would be my 400th which would be a no goer on several counts.  I just don't like winter weather for long races and for that reason I won't be doing the RED events, especially as there's no shelter pre/post race, at least Plym Trail has the village hall.
    I didn't respond to the RED posting on FB about the planned events.

Lots of lycra and technical kit to wear in layers and frequent visits to launderettes and you should be fine for your trip.
    You'll be buying a little trailer next to put all the shoes in 🤣
  • Options
    Rcouture - it's a good coaster but there are some family rides there, too. Here's the website if you think you and your girls would enjoy a visit. https://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/

Shades, that sounds like quite the expedition. Tebay Services are legendary, though! Colin and I always stop there on the way to visit his parents in Gretna and we always spend too much in the farm shop.

A ploddy 11 miler early this morning - I did a near reverse of the Pollards Hill route, which meant I had to come down the 18% grass hill instead of going up (I did look for another way down but couldn't find one). Took that slowly, especially as my knee's being a bit grumpy today. Enjoyable enough run and had HR averaging in the 140s which is low for me.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I really need to confirm what I want to do about my 100th soon.  All being well, Two Tunnels will be my 90th, and 100MC like members to send their list in for validation at 90, and tell them what their plans are for the 100th, think about ordering the vest, etc.  I have said many times that I would prefer to do one abroad for mine, but I still don't think I can plan that with any certainty at the moment.  It may be that it ends up being at something like Plym Trail or RED after all, which is a shame in some ways as it is not really what I wanted, but in other ways it would be nice to get it done.  I haven't decided yet, but I do need to think about it really.  I suppose in some ways it would be nice to do 99th on NYE and 100th on NYD....I think there are enough events for me to do it by then without breaking myself, but it only an idea.  No decisions yet though and I am just mulling some ideas over.  If I do get it done late this year/early next year, at least then I could try and get a decent block of training in for a faster Spring marathon, without getting disrupted by events, as they do cause the general weekly mileage to drop a bit.   
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - Tebay Services are lovely, rabbits and ducks everywhere.  Fortunately there are other motorway services now opened with similar set up.   Gloucester Services are one, I love to stop there on the way home after a marathon and eat one of their delicious pies.

When I used to do that long trip home after Two Bridges I used to do the whole 500 miles in one day.   I'd stop off in Cumbria and head to the coast for a visit to the New Balance factory and pick up a couple of pairs of running shoes.  Then a picnic by one of the lakes and then drive home.

Big G - you can always get your list verified at 90 and order shirt/medal etc without specifying where and when your hundredth will be.   These are exceptional times.  Then decide at at a later date, perhaps when we know if Spring marathons are going ahead.

Would you really want your 100th to be 8 laps up and down a path?   Of course entirely up to you.  😊.   
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Have to admit the path one doesn't sound the most memorable, any hopes for any foreign races very early next year?
    Had a quick tot up and I'm on 23 now so hopefully London will be 24.
    8 miles today,but of an effort for some reason but got it done.
    Shades-I'm looking at Berlin from 2 years ago and my training paces are similar, maybe 5 s/m slower,but then I averaged 45m/w in the 12 weeks before,if everything goes to plan I'll average about 33 for London,what type of difference do you think that will be in terms of target? Berlin was 3:09.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, Funchal Marathon (Mediera) is in January, Murcia (Spain) is in February and Malta is in March next year (it was Feb when I did it), but I haven't looked at flights, accommodation or anything. I did have a quick look at Marrakech, which is usually January and was my last one abroad, but they’re holding that in September this year so it’ll be interesting to see whether they move it back to January or not.  I’m just not too sure whether I can plan for any of those at the moment. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Of course Funchal is Jan,a lot used to do that,then the week after cone across to GC for there.GC is November now so might recce Funchal for our Jan holiday/race.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - How long has it taken you to get up to 100?

7 miles this evening. Stressful day of work so was great to get out in good weather. In shoe news, I’m still very much enjoying the Novablast 2. Jury is still out with the NB rebels. Feel fun and light to run in but a bit unstable over about 5 miles. I also tried to purchase new vaporflys with the birthday discount from Nike but it apparently doesn’t apply to them which is a shame. Not sure if this was also the case with the version 1 too Ian?