Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, did you see the pic I posted of you on race day?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the way to get around the race morning faff with NYC is book a trip with race transfers included.   You might pay a bit more but when I did it it was really worth the money.    We had a coach at the finish too to take us to our hotel.   Everyone else at the start was cold and stressed and we were happy and fine.

I don't know of anyone that's had any more info from an antibody test that you've had there.  

Rcouture - I've never done Copenhagen but have heard good things about it.   If you do a search on this forum I think you'll find a few threads from years past which might give you a bit of info.

Never done Edinburgh and wouldn't waste my money, very poor organisation.  The course isn't good either and the finish is about 8 miles away from the city and although you can buy bus tickets back you'll be lucky to get a bus.   One year 2 girls from my club shared a taxi with Ron Hill from the finish, as there was no bus, and Ron Hill said "what a f*****g shambles of a race".  I believe the organisation is no better now.
    The year they ran out of water it was a warm day so they stopped the race and anyone over 4 hours wasn't allowed to finish and didn't get a time, or a refund.
    A few years ago an Irish friend of mine entered Edinburgh, had to pay over £80 as an overseas runner and they put him at the back of the race, he's a 2:45 runner.  He asked to be moved up, they wanted more money for that.  He was the first non elite to finish.  

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Yes I did,thought I'd commenced, thanks,my wife was like I didn't even see you and I watched it :-) 
    Big G-I think the big thing about NYC is the weather,2019 the weather was fine so no issues hanging around,but if the weather isn't good then it wouldn't have been the same experience.
  • Options
    Ok Edinburgh is fairly unanimous so scratch that off the list 😀. Leaves Copenhagen and Vienna to look into. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Never done Copenhagen, RCouture.  Looks great though!  Are you all sorted for Italy - do you still need a PCR test for going there?  

I am really tired today so haven't ran, although did an easy 75mins on Zwift.  Not really sure why I am so tired today; I didn't sleep brilliantly, but still not too bad.  Hopefully I'll get a good sleep tonight and then be firing on all cylinders again tomorrow.

The lady who organises the Zwift Team Time Trials (that must be a lot of work, week in week out!) has noticed that I have been the front rider in my team the last couple of weeks, so she asked me if I wanted to move up to a different team this week.  I replied "Errrm, not really, but sure...!", and based on power, I am now the weakest in my new team!  So rather than pulling on the front and occasionally easing off to keep the team with me, I will be going full gas for basically 45mins.  And this week there are a couple of climbs on the route, which don't suit me!  It is going to be a tooooooough session on Thursday AM!

Also, Zwift are releasing a new map soon, and the CEO has released a couple of sneak peeks via Strava. It is based on Tokyo, and it is always going to be nighttime in the game for the buildings etc to show up more, so it should be a good one.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, this is the list I have used in the past for European marathons and they have today done a big update (before today, there were only 2 listed for March).
    https://www.apex-sports.co.uk/document/item-Ouxm-2019-21-european-marathons
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I looked at that list this morning and thought it looked a bit sparse.   Lots more added.   :)

Rcouture - Rotterdam is on that list, flat and fast I believe.   
  • Options
    Big G - Thanks for that list. Bookmarked 🙂. I sneaked a look at let’s run after you mentioned their comments on Seth and immediately wish I hadn’t. What a horrible place. Re Italy flights and hotel are booked. By coincidence I may be going to Italy for work next week and seems I need PCR or antigen. Says that I need a vaccine pass to do most things but think they accept the NHS app. 

Shades - Rotterdam is two days before I get back from hols. Already suggested moving hols to OH so I could do Barca or Paris but she wasn’t having it 😬

Managed 5 miles home with no discomfort. Rest tomorrow and another attempt on thurs
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, I have done Rotterdam.  It is flat and fast, and a nice city to visit; sounds strange but a highlight for me was their water taxis.  They are basically very quick boats, but they are taxis :)  I didn't have a great run but that is at least partly because I had let myself get a bit out of shape and I had put on a few pounds!

Yeah, I don't go over to Lets Run often at all.  It was quite compulsive reading a few years ago though as there was a Brit called Rob Young who was running across America.  Trouble is, his claim and data was very suspicious, and so the Lets Run lot started monitoring him quite closely, but the biggest thing was that Laz (Berkley Marathons etc) got involved and was making fairly regularly updates (he wasn't doing it in a horrible way, but just stating the facts really).
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I'd suggest you print off your covid pass also,just incase phone dies or something so you have a copy. Rotterdam is one I want to do at some point.
    Agree on let's run,you used to get some good pieces,Sage used to be on there a lot,Camille and Renato Canova do occasionaly along with David Katz who's one of the top course measurers in the world,always pops on when people complain about their GPS.But unfortunately the good bits are harder and harder to find these days as it's generally a cesspool.
    I see Paul Martelletti won m40 age group in Barca with 2:20.Still no reply off them,I'll wait until Monday and send them another email.
  • Options
    Big G congrats on getting the 100 bib for Belfast, hope you get the runs in before then.

Ian great running at the weekend, hope you can build on that even further next year.

rcouture I didn’t mind Edinburgh myself but I wouldn’t rush back for the race.  The year I did it as G said they weren’t going to publish the results, then they had a backlash from runners who wanted to use it for gfa/po10 and gave in, The first 10k is net downhill, then an out and back pretty much along the coast, okay when no wind.  The bus tickets get awful reviews you have to walk miles after the race to get them then they don’t leave for ages.  You can get trains back to the town centre without too much effort.

For those who use apex list, they seem to have plans to continue with the list but the shops now are under new management.

Been a weird week, after work announcement, in limbo for a month until it’s confirmed.  Hopefully will find some more time for running as my open uni assignment was due in yesterday and I have an insurance diploma exam next week but should ease off a bit.

Saturday saw WW50 (event I’m doing next year) 5x10 mile loops 10000ft elevation.  15 hour cut off there were still 4 runners on course in final 30’seconds, the final one over the line 15:00:04 goes in the book as a DNF!!! Ouch 

7 miles this evening, quite enjoy going out for a run without the pressure of a race looming.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - Ian is right, take a hard copy of your Covid pass.   I did that plus had a PDF copy saved on my phone.   Some travellers have missed their flights as couldn't log onto the NHS app at the appropriate time.

Sorry, that's wiped a few off the list on the 10th April, but plenty more to choose from.   I haven't done Krakow but that also has been recommended to me, quite a few on the 24th I'd like to do.   I want to do them all   :smiley:

Good news on another pain free run.

Big G - was it those Dutch waffles you enjoyed in Rotterdam?  ;)

Ian - hope they sort your time out, at least it's not one you need for GFA purposes.

Robert - that's good news about the Apex list, it's our best source of race listings now even though there are a lot of errors.   The 100 MC copy the list now for their listings as they don't seem to have anyone in the club that knows anything about marathons and those that do are not prepared to put together a list.

I guess your month of waiting is this consultation period, I think that's such a bad idea as everyone is put 'at risk' and causes unnecessary stress for all the employees.

I miss my races after having 4 in 4 weeks, but I also appreciated no race on the horizon for a while.   But once I put my 2022 budget together then I can settle down and plan my 2022 races.

Rest day for me today, woke up hungry which is a good sign as I think my BMR is revving up again with the gym work.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Incidentally those thinking about running Brighton next year, they have applied and been granted a licence for the event.    ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the 100MC system of updating the list has changed, whereby people send in links via a form, and the list gets updated.  I think probably every now and again an admin updates with other races they know of, but really if you look down it, it is mainly the Enigma-type events.  

You Shadies all seem to be on top of this relating to foreign travel.  I know things can change between now and Spring (fingers crossed, in a good way!), but if I was fairly keen to get a European marathon done but wanted avoid doing a test in either travel direction, which countries should I be looking at?   Reason for asking is I had a Rome hotel booked, and was on easyJet with the flights all loaded up, OH has some time off work, but I did a final check of the government site and saw the need for PCRs so reluctantly didn't book yesterday.  Or is it too early to book things now for a March/April/May event?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Big G - re 100MC race listing that's even worse than copying the Apex list.   I never use the Fetch race listing as the race info is posted by the forumites not the race organisers so full of errors.

Looks like the 100MC is just for SVN/Phoenix/Enigma events now.

Re travel, I'm tempted but I'm not intending to go further than Ireland next year, maybe 3 trips if I can, plus the IOM.   I've missed going to Ireland far more than mainland Europe.

It's likely travel info will change, maybe several times, before Spring, so if you want to go book the trip but not the tests as they many not be needed.   You can always book flights and hotels that can be cancelled if the Covid restrictions are more than you are prepared to deal with at the time.  Even if you booked for a country with no restrictions, we don't know whether that would have changed by the time of travel.

Or just stay home for the next 5 years  ;):s  
  • Options
    Shades - at the moment is 23 people are at risk and having their consultations ends on 6th Dec, the senior exec team are meeting with the board on the 7th to to decide whether to continue or go into run off (wind up operations).  If we go into run off hopefully there are less than 20 at risk so the consultation can be done one to one, it would make sense if it's commercially possible to close sales before the new pricing hits in Jan. Whilst we remain solvent redundancy won't be too bad and hopefully get paid my notice too.  

Big G I've got Poland booked for August, as it's in the future I'm not getting too worried about it now,I'm sure things will change a number of times, I just blank everything out and then just look into things as I need to.

Woke up to a 'bloody hell' call from Elle this morning a positive lateral test, so we're both off to have a prc later. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - difficult times for your employer and employees.  If they wind the company up you'll still get redundancy and notice payments but I suppose only statutory payments not at any enhanced benefits which might be in your contract.   

Not good news about Elle's positive LFT.   :open_mouth:

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Very stressful times for you at work, Robert :(  Sorry to gear about Elle's positive to test, too!

RCouture, I just had a look at the recent LetsRun thread about Seth.  I think they're a bit deluded over there to think that his popularity will wane because of a poor run.  I think some of them are jealous, quite frankly.  He has a big following, making a living off of something that he clearly loves.  A couple of them were trying to say he didn't get to NYC sub-elite on merit, but he has done a 2:23 hasn't he?  But then they call anyone from 3-5hrs 'hobby joggers', so that is the mentality really.  Personally, I can take or leave the family related stuff, but he knows what he is doing and he is giving a large cross section of people a bit of what they like throughout the week.

Got out for 12-miles this morning.  It wasn't cold, although it was drizzly so I needed a jacket and gloves, but I had a reasonable run out.  I don't have the time on my watch whilst running, but when I stopped it it said 2:00:01....which for some reason annoyed me :D 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I saw Adam Yates, who is a pro rider, jogged around Barcelona in under 3hrs, off of presumably hardly any run training.  B****** ;) 
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/adam-yates-runs-barcelona-marathon-in-under-three-hours/
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just been having a chat with OH about the potential Rome weekend and we've decided just to go somewhere in the UK in the van instead that week.  If I need another marathon in order to make Manchester my 99th, there is Bedford Autodrome that weekend.  Otherwise, I have the voucher from Newport, and I could do Cardiff Half that weekend instead.  To be honest, I would prefer to be sitting at 98 by some time in February, so I can get some decent training in for Manchester, and Cardiff Half would fit really well with that too, to see where I am with fitness/speed etc.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the multi lap aerodrome/motor circuit races seem to have plenty of available entries so it's a good back up event should you need it.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Everyone I've heard of with a positive LFT has then been positive on the PCR,hope Elle breaks the tradition.
    Big G-I think our rules will stay pretty simple,but the rules for getting in to other countries may be harder to work out at times.
    Just done my day 2 LFT and all good as expected.
    Shades-I'm taking this week off(probably)as I have tons to do in work and I've raced 3 weekends on the run,then resuming long runs from the weekend after,I'm thinking of starting at 15/16 does that seem reasonable?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, perfect time to take a few days off running when you're busy at work etc.  You can restart your long runs at whatever distance suits you, 15/16 is fine.

Mamafox - how are you recovering?

Robert - the only positive LFT tests that I've heard does not result in positive PCR test was those fudged by school kids, by drinking fruit juice before tests, several months ago.   But doubt that applies now, my tests are all nose swab only and not sure fruit juice or whatever would give a false positive.
  • Options
    Shades - run off isn’t insolvency, it’s catching it just before so you can close without issues, the only thing that will send us into insolvency is a very bad claims experience but hopefully if we choose ‘run off’ my role will be one of the first to go so will still get enhanced redundancy.

Think Elles going to run out of netflics stuff to watch soon! I’m getting some good steps in up and down the stairs!  Hopefully het the results back tomorrow from PCR and I’ll still be clear.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I haven't heard the expression 'run off' before in that situation.  

If Elle is positive, won't be easy for you to avoid catching it too. 

8 miles this morning, nice and mild.   Getting darker in the mornings but headed off to one of my favourite hilly village runs off the main road as soon as I could.   That section of my run  was 100% traffic free, just a beautiful rooster that had escaped and was strutting along the road like he owned it.

Stretch class and then leg/glute session in the gym.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I have pencilled in all my planned races up to Belfast now, and on paper it doesn't look too bad.  There are no doubles, although I do have some that are only a few days apart.  If it doesn't quite work out, there are back ups too. 

Just psyching myself up for this Zwift race!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Barca have emailed back and said they have referred it to revisions,at least I know they have got it now.
  • Options
    Shades - Since the financial crash where there were huge losses the formation of PRA get involved far earlier than they used to.

Big G enjoy your zwift race, good to see you've got your plans in place, there will always be races that you can slot last minute if need to change your plans.

Elle's test came back positive, mine negative... Elle was poorly at the weekend, but didn't show any symptoms, still not showing any symptoms and isn't too unwell at present.  

• Options
    Rob - Best of luck with the COVID and job situation. Have you started looking around for something new? 

Big G - Enjoy the zwift race

Was going to head out for a short run today but  can vaguely feel the ITB. No discomfort or anything but just its presence which probably means it’s likely to wake up with a run so best to not aggravate it. Going to be touch and go for this marathon 😬