Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big g - that's a good recovery run from you.

Rcouture - we all ignore walking, why walk when we can run!   But it's good for the legs and should keep them feeling good.
  • Options
    I definitely walk more when I'm injured, but I try to walk a bit on rest days and sometimes even a short walk the afternoon after a run, just to get the legs moving. We all sit too much, even us marathon runners.

Just been out for a 14 miler...my longest for a while (and while I did the half last weekend, this was slower so another 25 minutes of time on feet). Started in the dark and ran over to Brockwell Park, where I did most of my long runs while training for my second marathon. Three laps of that then home, by which time the sun was out (there was still a cold breeze, but my hands warmed up after a couple of miles). 
    It was a pretty slow start with the first six miles in the 11 minute ballpark, but I made an effort to increase the cadence a bit and brought the pace up a little before making a push for home. Nothing too fast but just wanted to see how I coped and the answer was, pretty well. I guess that's not surprising as I'd run faster than that for 13 miles last weekend, but races and training runs are different beasts.
    Anyway, pretty content with that...hamstring didn't even grumble too loudly.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, sounds stupid I know, but I had to get 7-miles in to get to 60 miles this week.  58 just wouldn't have done :)

Well done Cal, a good run out there for you.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Well done on your race.
    Cal-Nice to get a food run in again.
    Rcouture-Last week now,when do you leave for Florence?
    Seen a new HM world record was set this morning in Lisbon,think its point to point though so not sure if it will count.
  • Options
    Cal seem that you’re progressing well at the moment, re Chicago it’s complex, myself if it’s somewhere I want to visit then it’s worth booking, the other option is setting a limit on how much you’re happy to lose, book cancellable accommodation, book flights closer to travel 

Ian great news Boston time is verified, fingers crossed we’ll be able to travel next year.

Big G great effort post covid, you seem to have haven stuck on 90 forever…. something special about this time of year when you have the nice weather.  Did wonder if there was a reason for 7 miles recovery 😆 

Rcouture when I don’t run in guilty of not walking, defo get out every day if you can it will keep the lbs off and you out the kitchen.

With everything going on I’m a bit meh feeling, managed to force myself out today for 6 miles just need to keep on getting out when I can.

plus side my work agreed to pay £900 out for my next two exam modules which I was expecting them to stall on until the exec and the board had met next month.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just under 14 today, felt pretty cold and breezy,wanted to go a little further bit my legs didn't fancy it,36m is a good start though. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - an extra 2 miles is meaningless, nothing wrong with 58 or 59.9 even 😉

Cal feels like you're back in full marathon training again.

Have you any more races this year?

Ian - I see Athletics Weekly announced it as a new world record.  Point to point is allowed isn't it, unless there's a drop in elevation?

Robert - I know you're in limbo at the moment re your job but getting out to run will help.

That's good news that your employer is paying for your next 2 exam modules, not cheap either.   They must think highly of you.

Is Elle back at work this week?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    There is a ruling about point to point courses,  I think it is so competitors can't benefit from a tail wind.

The start and finish points of a course, measured along a theoretical straight line between them, shall not be further apart than 50% of the race distance.

The above is from https://aims-worldrunning.org/world-records.html
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Looks like they changed the course slightly a few years ago to make it eligible as it wasn't under the old course.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think the course is renowned for starting on a famous bridge with some out and backs, definitely not a straight point to point course.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    It's not far off though,the rule says 50% in a straight line so from the start to finish across the sea,must be 6.5m or less.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think that's a different race, yesterday's was the Lisbon Half Marathon, it also starts on a bridge.

Race course Lisbon Half Marathon (running-portugal.com)

My knee is 90% better, but am taking another rest day as a precaution.   Have stuck my head out the window, very cold, guess we'll have to get used to some winter weather now.   :disappointed:
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did an hour or so, really easy, on the bike yesterday afternoon and will probably jump on a bit later too, although I am having a rest day from running today.

I walked up to work with OH and Tigg, and it is very cold out, but Tigg seemed to enjoy it as he was doing his zoomies around the large field.

We booked the ferries for N.Ireland yesterday, so that is good to get done.  Haven't booked any campsites but we'll look at that next, in terms of figuring out logistics of where to stay for the race, doing a parkrun (hopefully) and picking up the race number etc.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - very cold wind here too, I've just been down town.

Good news on your travel booked for your 💯.   I was really surprised how busy it was the first time I travelled to Belfast for the marathon, of course it's a BH weekend.

I know you like a good Black Friday deal, not tempted by RED offer for all 4 marathons?  ;)

I see Taunton have confirmed that the marathon will be back on 3rd April.   Now I'll have to drop one of the Strawberry Fields events to keep my numbers right.   :/
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, definitely not interested in all four! On Saturday they did say they are struggling with numbers for the NYD event, but I’m not doing that one. I’m in for NYE and 3rd Jan already, and don’t really want to do a double unless I absolutely have to in order to make numbers work later on. I wonder if they may do a discount on the NYD event soon as well though. By the way, I meant to say that the start and finish were in the same place as when we did it in the summer, but the parking was much better this time. It was about a 3-5min walk on roads/tarmac to the start so much better. The car park itself was small (maybe 10 cars) but there was parking on the roads, too. Not sure if they can use it for all of their events as when I asked she seemed to hint the new parking arrangements would only be for their winter events, but I suppose they’ll confirm that with each event. 

Good news about Taunton confirming. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    If/when I do another of their events I think I would find parking on the roads.   I noticed when I left last time that there was roadside parking on the housing estates.   I don't mind walking further rather than be nearer and having to walk over that rugged field.
    I'm sure they'll do what they can re parking facilities.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, on the one we did, I had the van and didn't want to park it on the field, so I parked nearby, but still had to walk over the field to get to the start.  Now I know about this other access though, I would park it there and just walk down the path.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - next time I'll Google the area.   After the race I had asked Tim the best direction for home and that wasn't the way I'd arrived there which had been along the narrow road.

I'm still not doing the Dec/Jan events though. 😉
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrrrrrrrrrr cold this morning, 3 with a feels like of -1.   But roads/pavements mostly dry so managed to avoid any ice.   6 miles done, legs feel fresh after 2 days rest, not even the faintest twinge from my knee.    :)

Pilates this morning, more hip mobilisation.   Followed by leg/glutes session in the gym.
  • Options
    Shades - Nice 6 miles. Absolutely freezing here on my way into work but thankfully no ice on the pavement. 

Still no running for me. Saw physio for some prodding last night. I did wake up this morning wondering whether I am crazy attempting a marathon on minimal running in the last 4 weeks. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    RCouture, up until 4 weeks ago, your training was going really well though.  If you are injured, that is a different consideration, but in terms of fitness you will be fine.  Did the physio say much?

Very cold here too when I set at just gone 6am.  I had some new running stuff - compression/base layer and new long sleeved top - I was glad of those and they worked well in terms of keeping me warm.  I even resorted to leggings, which is a very rare thing for me, plus my Sealskinz gloves which only make an appearance in cold conditions too.  Still, 7 miles done and all is fine.  HR strap was showing extremely dodgy/high readings for over 2 miles but I knew I was running at the correct effort - it is just annoying that it skews my stats, but I do seem to get this issue in cold conditions.   Also, GPS seemed to have an issue this morning as it didn't lock on until about 3.5 miles.  I usually wait until I have a signal which is only a few seconds normally (usually by the time I walk down the steps to the road I have a signal), but Strava is showing 7.3 miles on a route I have done dozens of times and I know is 7-miles.
  • Options
    Big G - Physio thinks I’ve got a decent chance of making it around since things don’t seem acute at the moment but of course doesn’t know how it will hold up after 20 miles. Doesn’t see a downside in me using my strap which is good. Suggestion was also to make sure I keep a high cadence during the race though I try and do that anyway. Have you ever run a race with almost or no running during the taper/lead-up?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, I’ve definitely done races without the best prep. Maybe not 4 weeks with not a lot of running, but definitely 2 or 3 weeks. That is good news the physio says you can still run if you want to, as well. Maybe you’ll have to reassess your time goals a bit, but try and enjoy it if you do decide to toe the start line. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - training takes 3 weeks to have any effect anyway.   You've been fortunate that you've done your marathon training before you got injured.   Some runners are injured when they should have been doing the bulk of their training and only are able to do a bit during the last couple of weeks.  You've done the best that you can do so just tell yourself that, you've done lots and lots of long runs.
    I would think most marathon runners toe the start line without perfect training leading up to the race and wondering if they had done more training/not been injured/not been ill etc etc.
    I agree with your physio re the cadence, it's the distance not the speed that may cause you problems but just take each mile as it comes.

Big G - good to hear you're trying compression/base layer kit and appreciating its qualities.   Annoying about HR stats, luckily I've never had that problem in cold weather, I do put my HRM on at least 30 minutes before I leave home, maybe that makes a difference.   I put my Garmin on the window sill (inside) to pick up a signal before I leave, although this Garmin is quick to pick up a signal my previous one could be annoying while I waited outside as I live in a built up area.

Pilates was good, lots of hamstring and hip work, ouch. 😢  Followed by gym session, had to keep the weights down as my muscles were tired after Pilates.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I didn't run for about 12 days before Berlin,not quite the same but I got the time I thought I'd get.
    11 miles today,its the hilly loops I used to do often,3.5 miles there,4 loops of 1.6m(150ft climb) then 1.5 home,this hill has similar elevation to the hills near the end of Boston,so I'd love my long runs to be able to end with 4 loops if I can get fit enough.
  • Options
    Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Ian well done putting the hills in, I need to start moving away from my flat runs for DD, Beskidy and WW next year!

Rcouture your training is in the leg bank, as shades said most people haven’t done the work and some may cramped the miles in a couple of weeks 😆 

shades I hate that feeling when you know it’s going to get colder! 

Big G don’t blame you not standing around in the cold waiting for GPS, it is frustrating when the data isn’t right

6.5 miles for me this evening, was crisp out but okay once got going. Still in t shirt and shorts.  Elle also back to work yesterday and feels better

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - maybe introduce those hilly loops at various points of your long runs so you get used to having them in a long run.   Then you can work towards the hilly loop being in the latter stages of one of your longest run.

What's the overall elevation of Boston?  The hills are long aren't they, that's the issue with them?

Robert - good news Elle is back at work.   Amazing you didn't catch Covid. 

Do you have any hilly road marathons that you can do as part of your DD prep?   I used to do IOW as DD prep, it used to be in May and was often hot.   The old route used to have a challenging hill in the first mile, up and down for most of the route, then a long hill at 24 miles, perfect prep.

I've entered Halstead btw.  :)

5 miles this morning, not frosty thankfully, good running conditions.   Legs sore after gym and as for my hip flexors, they hurt like hell when I got out of bed, we were warned by Pilates instructor to expect some soreness.   Flexors were fine running though.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-The overall elevation is net downhill,I don't think the hills on their own are too bad,it's that they start at mile 16,and most people have trashed their legs with the downhills by the time they get there.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - ouch, you can expect very sore quads then 😭