Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - YT is working at the leisure centre I go to, teaching football.  One class for 5-8 year olds, which has a waiting list, and an adults class too.   Good to hear he's working too, amazing he can manage an 112 mile week now he's a lot busier.

I'm impressed you're researching gyms on your travels.   What about parks that have outdoor fixed equipment, Tigg could watch then.   ;)

Good luck with the doer upper.  My friend who has rentals and flips too won't touch Grade II listed as he says it's three times the normal budget and twice as long to do as waiting for special materials and permissions can be very frustrating and expensive.

Ian - 4 miles at MP is a start, you're a fair way off your race day yet.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I think I was disappointed because I've always done fine in those sessions,but I was wearing normal shoes and the weather is still hot,on a positive my easy pace to the park was really good and feels like its getting faster now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - as long as your easy pace is improving that the most important for now.

7 miles today, out earlier so no chance of being ambushed by neighbour.   Nice morning, fresh and sunny.    I didn't go past B & Q today but I did run on the main road and I could see that bloody seagull on the same street lamp outside B & Q, looking for some early morning prey  :#
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ended up not Zwifting or going to the gym yesterday as life kind of got in the way, but I did 75mins on there today, and will definitely be going to the gym around lunchtime. 

I’m really missing getting ‘out there’ for those easy runs, out on the trails, in the sun :( Zwift is great and I do enjoy it, but it’s just not the same. Someone asked me why I Zwift and not actually get out in the real world on my bike, and it’s a good question, but basically Zwift is safer and also easier in terms of logistics etc (no threat of punctures, basically).  For whatever reason, I prefer Zwift to real world cycling but I never run on a treadmill, which I suppose is a bit inconsistent!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You're going to have to start running with a spray bottle, Shades, or maybe get a pet raptor of some kind who can accompany you on your runs.

Big G, I never learned to ride a bike, but even if I had, I daresay I'd prefer Zwift to wobbling around in London traffic, forever terrified that I'd end up under a lorry. Not that you have so much to worry about where you are, but other road users are still a consideration. Zwift means you can just get on with the workout without worrying about some speeding bastard knocking you off your bike.

I had a 6 mile plod yesterday - felt sluggish and wheezy (the latter was probably not helped by having spent the weekend with a smoker). Woke up early today and went out around 5:20am for a 10 miler. Started a bit wheezy for that too but threw in some hills and faster bits which seemed to give my lungs a good clear out and I felt better by the end of it. The downside was grumpy achilles and hamstring...both had been OK at the weekend. I'll have to keep an eye on 'em.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Big G - maybe if it's a bit safer to cycle you might venture out occasionally in the summer.   They're planning a Torquay to Newton cycle path now, putting the Shaldon one on hold for now.   But that still wouldn't give you a great distance and it will take a while to build.

Hopefully you'll soon be out running again and ramping up the miles.

Cal - roads round here are very dangerous for cycling, we have narrow streets and narrow country roads with no verge and high hedges, terrifies some of the holidaymakers and they're in a car.😱  We have a lot of traffic, just about everyone drives here as limited public transport.   There are a few cycle paths but not many and they're too short for any serious cyclist.

I don't think a spray bottle would defer a seagull, they attack from behind.  A raptor might though  :)   Plenty of buzzards round here, I'll have to get one to train up.

Apparently grass pollen is still very high, maybe that's not helping you.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think if I got the bike out on the roads, the majority of it would be just around the velopark 1.5 miles away, and then Zwift is actually more varied than the flat velopark. The problem where I live is that getting towards Dartmoor involves some busy roads, which I don’t like to use really. And then as well as the easy rides which I mainly do, there are the races, group rides and other features I use on Zwift, which are all available whenever I happen to jump on the bike, 24/7. 

Cal, probably you know, but I have some first hand experience of that as my SiL, Steph, was killed in London on her bike in 2015 :( I think she had the dubious distinction of being the first one that year. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't cycle and have no inclination to do so.

The velopark would be nice for a breath of fresh air, but like running round a track you don't want to do it that often.    The local cycle clubs do well as at the weekends they get out in large groups and obviously it  feels a lot safer doing that.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I'd hate to be a cyclist,the way I see people driving I'd never want to be on a bike.
    Shades-I'm happy with my easy paces.I compared how I was doing at this stage if Berlin and my easy is slightly faster for the same effort,total mileage was better last month and will be June and July,but my 10k is 2 minutes behind the same time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I agree, many drivers have no respect for cyclists.

That's good about your easy pace being better than when preparing for Berlin.   Plenty time to perfect speed at shorter distances.

I'm assuming nobody has entered any marathons/ultras in July apart from Robert  :)

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shit Big G, I didn't know that. Sorry.
    The other thing is, the cyclists in my club are constantly getting their bikes stolen. It's a real racket around here.

Shades, I will not be doing anything longer than 8 miles in July (races, anyway)! 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Lovely day here so I found myself taking a diversion to the seafront for an ice cream and decent coffee, before heading to the gym for an hour or so. Very nice too :) 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I guess Chester is your next marathon?

Big G - good idea, ice cream and coffee, think I might have treated myself after the gym though, not before 😉

Hot here too, did the ironing before my flat heats up, as it tends to do later in the afternoon 😇

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Ian - Have you ever done any speedwork? Even in earlier days? If not it’s amazing how fast you’ve got without any really

Shades - Good job dodging the gull and chatterbox. 

Cal - Nice running. Hope the wheezes ease. 

Managed to get to Paris in the end after a crap journey involving lots of queuing and traffic jams. Went out at 5:30 this morning for a 6 mile. Felt tough given it was 4:30 in old money but was treated to a lovely sunrise which somewhat made up for it. 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Sorry to hear that,must have been terrible.
    Rcouture-That's a stunning view and well worth the early start.I've never done any speedwork as such,but I did used to race once a month on average,and I had a hilly loop I used to race every couple of months,but my fastest 10k came in 2020 when there was no races for a lot of of the year and it was simply increasing my mileage a lot as there was nothing else to do after work.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - well done just getting to France, lovely photo.   Hope the trip home is easier.

I've done all my PB's just with higher mileage, only speedwork is a race or two.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    BBC News - Totnes swooping gull 'regularly tries to attack me'

This is about 10 miles from me.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Thought that was going to be your story then.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OH used to work in a bird rescue place and when she fed the birds she regularly got divebombed as they tried to pinch the food. She had to wear a hard hat whilst feeding them. :) 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades...correct.

Rcouture, what a beautiful shot! Well worth the early start.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I wouldn't go to the press....more likely I'd be looking for a hitman  ;)

7 miles today, lovely summer morning.   One of my favourite hilly routes with rabbits everywhere.

I see races struggling for numbers, one race organiser, I've run a couple of their events, is pausing after the already planned events as numbers down.

Big G - I see one local race cancelled, the Cream Tea one, I think you ran that?  I looked at it but it was off road
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, when I was describing ‘my worst marathon’ a few weeks ago, it was that Cream Tea one. The course just wasn’t for me in the slightest and I nearly DNFd it, and was very, very pleased that I hadn’t entered the Sunday as well.  I finished it as I had plans for my 50th event and also if I DNFd when not injured I thought that may then make it easier mentally to DNF others in the future, so I got it done but I wasn’t happy about it!  I know others like the course, but it’s just not for me. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Went to see Top Gun last night, by the way. I know it’s been massively hyped but I mainly managed to avoid too many spoilers, and we both loved it. Getting home after midnight from the cinema isn’t something I’ve done for many years!  Yawn!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Also, I’m supposed to be going to London tomorrow. I had booked a coach anyway so I’m not relying on the train, but I’m just trying to figure out if I can get around, especially on the Saturday night late, as I think there is disruption on some tube lines then as well. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I wasn't sure but I thought that was one of your least favourite events.  It's probably the one of her events not overpriced, IMHO, but seems not to be so popular now.   I know you like a cream tea, but the thought of one after a marathon/6 hour, yuk.   Something savoury perhaps but not that.

Perhaps our London Shadies can help re advice on transport round London?
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big-G - Tube isn’t completely shut Saturday but could be a mess with spillover effects from the strike. The roads have been difficult traffic wise this week but should be better on a Saturday (For buses/Uber). It’s all in flux though so I’d check below:

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike

Not sure what your plans are but hopefully they involve walking 😀

6 miles just before lunch earlier. Just missed a downpour. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, thanks, yeah I saw that site. I’m staying central but have a gig out at Ally Pally Saturday night, but from what I can see the Piccadilly Line should be fine on Saturday night. 

Zwift race this morning, which I enjoyed, and then upper body at the gym late afternoon.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I wasn't as lucky,glorious weather when I left in a tshirt,spots of rain at 2 miles and torrential at 5,anyway 7 miles done and feeling good.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, I went to see Top Gun with Colin on Sunday. It was indeed enjoyable...did what it said on the tin, more or less. Glad we chose that and not the new Jurassic movie, which has been panned.

Re: strikes...I'm hoping the tube's not so bad. My original plan was to do a parkrun reachable by train, but that's a non-starter, so I'm considering whether to do a local parkrun, repeat another London one or do the new one in Amersham (but that's a 90 minute journey on the tube, with two changes, so possibly risky if things aren't running as advertised).

5 miles recovery yesterday...rest today.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, when I sorted this trip out I was going to do Fulham Palace but it’s closed due to some work going on there I think. Depending on how things go, I may literally walk around either Gunnersbury or Southwark, but if foot isn’t great after the day of travelling today I won’t bother.