Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Annoyingly IT have reenabled my access so i can do it on the works laptop ;) Handily i have a charger that fits too. Cleared my emails of the 80 odd that were there which is a bonus before monday.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Good to hear the Novas are treating you well initially. I’d not noticed that about the glutes but I need all the help I can get with my lazy backside so that’s good. They do look like boats especially given the exaggerated heel area with the funky patterns but they don’t feel clunky due to the bouncy foam. 

Kipchoge doing Berlin. Not sure what’s going on with his plan to win all the majors. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I definitely noticed my glutes working harder today, maybe you're used to the shoes so don't notice so much.

I've just read the press release re Kipchoge and this is part of it...

He is delaying his quest to complete all of the World Marathon Majors until next year as he has yet to race in New York City and Boston. Instead the 37-year-old wants to try to run another fast time on a Berlin course that is famed for its smooth, flat roads and great climate in autumn.

So maybe a last chance at another world record?

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    He must be thinking he has a chance of sub 2,other than that he has no real incentive to do Berlin,can't be money as London would have paid more than Berlin.
    My Alphas have arrived,less than 24 hours after seeing the post saying they were on sale.
    First thoughts,the last shoes were very hard to get on,these are even harder,I was hoping they were going to change it but no luck.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Any sense of the change in drop?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Just walking around it's hard to say,as they feel high,the back seems to squash down a bit more so presume that's because there's more foam there.You will have your own pair soon  ;)
    Edited to say I've put an old one on with a new one and I can definitely feel the different drop,really hope it stops my achilles flaring after races.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Sounds promising. 

Just caught the finish of the Tour stage. Won’t spoil but absolutely brutal. Great stuff. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Another nice rum tonight,I did 8.7m again,I am going to make this my usual after work run,it's only 1.7m more but for less than 15mins it will add 5 miles on to my weekly mileage as I usually do it 3 times.
    Any advice on pace for Sunday,I think I am comfortably in sub 1:30 pace if I was rested,but last week was 55 and this will be 50 so I'm unsure how much this will slow me down?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Ian - you should consider racing a lower importance race sometime in a non super shoe to see if it still flares up your achilles. You need to find out of its the racing or the racing shoes........90min pace for 4 or 5m and then review and adjust either way.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - brutal describes yesterday's TdeF very well, I watched the highlights last night.  I bet that was the equivalent of an MHR test for all the riders.  24% climb on the final part and they had to pave it just for the race as the gravel surface would have been impossible for them to race on with that elevation  :'(

Ian - I hope these shoes resolve your post race achilles discomfort.   You may be able to use the lower drop shoes for shorter races, 5k, 10k perhaps but I would suggest you don't use them at this stage of your marathon training.

I have 3 pairs of lower drop shoes and I never use them for races, on consecutive days or for any distance over 10 miles.

8 miles undulating this morning and although it felt quite fresh initially  it was a very sweaty run and felt like very hard work especially on the hills.   But I did manage to keep my HR down.

I'm staying in now for the rest of the day, don't like this weather. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I know he still won the stage, but was there a very slight crack from Pogacar yesterday?  He didn’t really attack, or was it that he couldn’t?  Can Roglic and Vingegaard work together against Pogacar when the race gets to the high mountains?  Pogacar is known for detesting the heat, and it’s going to get hot. It feels to me like it’s not over yet. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    TR-Thanks,I do get a bit sore after races in the higher drop super shoes but generally OK to run the day after,with the Alphas I have to take a few days off.
  • Options
    The line got a bit clearer with time, takeaway was ordered the remnants are in the oven right now ;)
    It was indeed a formality so as of Monday i am acting team leader whilst HR sort the paperwork out. Technically i'd of been acting team leader anyway from Monday being boss did retire and i was the deputy but we'll ignore that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I just thought he wasn't expecting anyone to pass him and when they did he shut it down in his own way.  But it's early so far in the race so a lot can happen.

Keith - well done.  Congratulations on your promotion.

• Options
    Cal I don’t envisage me doing anything like MDS ever!!! That’s on a different level.

Shades wonder what the group would prefer if a law came in that you had to either half your shoe purchases or half the number of marathons, I’d choose half the marathons and find a loop hole and run ultras.

Keith congratulations on the promotion, payrise means more takeaways!!! 

Ian hope tomorrow goes well and the new shoes help the Achilles 

rcouture, looks like kipchoge is going for another record, think it’s the right thing to do, 2hrs is probably a long way off but to get into 2:00:xx would be another milestone.

Big g poor tigg, not much of a holiday having treatments.

essex 30 (33 miles)

Have considered DNS this race for a number of weeks due to back issues and not much training but thought a longer run and my first DNF would be more beneficial than a DNS.

about a 45 min drive to the start but had to stop half way and pick a bottle up and I didn’t have one.  Found an independent sports shop open at 8:30 and purchased one.

arrived an hour before the start, registration simple in a village hall as there were only about 40 runners, walking in with a drawstring back with not much in it whilst others were rocking up with bags of stuff as they were running the 50/100 mile.

the course for the 30 was four laps,
    3 x 8.5 miles, the first lap we walked out a mile to get closer to the race distances. Was nice to have a chat, found a few doing the 30 and someone doing the 50 and played cat and mouse for the first 30.

The course was an out and back, with a aid station at both ends, described as flat but there was some gentle inclines which most people moaned.  The first mile was downhill (up hill on the way back in) but there was a 2.5 mile stretch each direction of flat trail which was good to get some easy running.  A flyover climb then the aid station.

First half went well, it was warm but well shaded at times, had a bit of a wobble around 18 miles and pretty much walked it into the aid station for 2 miles had a little sit down then felt better and made my way back.  Spent a bit of time at the start of the last lap ensuring had fluids and food on board before setting off, 

Didn’t waste too long at the final cp as didn’t feel the need, the events are enjoyable, low key, and very supportive.  

2nd place but no medal 😔 which when there were only 7 runners in the mens race I wouldn’t really expect it especially as given the rising costs of putting events on.  I was pipped by 2hrs 20 mins 😆.   I knew there was a couple of runners within 10-20 mins so kept the moving forward but was more about getting it done.  Wanted 6-6:30 and finished in 6:33:52 so reasonably pleased.

takeaway a beers tonight! Then to recover for next Sunday FVC (although haven’t entered yet) 

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Shades - Nice 8 miles

Keith - Well done on the promotion

6 miles this morning before a day up in Oxfordshire for niece’s birthday. 10k tomorrow. Still dreading it but will have a go. 
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Rob - Well done on the top 3, especially given you almost DNSed. Enjoy the takeaway and beers 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Well done on the podium, doesn't matter how many were there,you can only beat who turns up.
    OK so I'm going to take TR's advice and go out at 1:30 pace,probably till half then see how it feels.If I'm on track for 3 in Chicago I think I need to be under or very close to 1:30 now.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Good luck tomorrow. Btw my alphas arrived. They certainly feel higher drop to me versus the first version. Tried them both on and immediately on wearing the first version you get that sinking back feeling which is absent on new ones. Fingers crossed (for my poor wallet much as anything) that it sorts these issues. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Have you figured out what you're going to store on the ledge at the back 😅
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great job on the 2nd place, Rob...shame about the medal though!
    Rcouture, hopefully they'll do the job!

Chose Horsham parkrun today...I had originally planned on University Parks (Oxford) but once I'd assessed costs (45-50 minutes on the tube, then an hour on the train which is £30 return, plus a bit of a walk) I decided against it. If I was going with friends and planned to have a bit of a day out in Oxford, fair enough, but for just the run...nah. 
    Horsham's a bit easier - an hour journey and the park's right by the station, so did that one. In winter it moves to another park that's much harder to get to so figured I'd hit this one in summer.
    Park's nice but it's a three lapper and a lot more was on grass and trail than I expected. Not hilly but also not flat, so wasn't what I'd call a fast course.
    There was a bit of a breeze and the clouds came across during the run so it wasn't too warm, but HR was still in the 180s after the first mile. Ran 28:27 which isn't wonderful but sleep's not been good and I am likely still recovering from the Wednesday race so I'm not going to be too hard on myself.
    I've just invested in a new mobility programme and was shocked to realise I can no longer touch my toes, not to mention failing a lot of the other mobility tests. The exercises are pretty hard but hopefully will help. I'm starting to think my issues are less about health and more that I have turned into a chair-shaped person.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Great running Robert!  Very well done on the podium. 

Well done Keith on the promotion. Good news. 

For parkrun fans, there’s a new one coming to Holyrood, if you’re ever in Edinburgh and want a run out near the centre. It will be a great location for one, I think. Apparently it came from HQ, in that the opportunity for one there presented itself and then HQ put the word out asking for a team. Since Covid, apparently the road around there has been closed to traffic on weekends, and that closure has continued, so it’s possible to have the event.  The road around there is apparently just over 5K so it’ll work very well  

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Robert - under your suggested new rule, I'm OK, I only do half the marathons I used to.  ;)  

Well done on yesterday's ultra, that's a great result in warm conditions and a podium place too.    :)

Best get that FVC entry in  ;)

Cal - it's not cheap this parkrun tourism, you would do proper races for the same costs.    ;)

I couldn't imagine you aren't able to touch your toes after your yoga history.   But of course not being able to touch your toes is not a sign of lack of any fitness, I guess more likely as a result of your hamstring issues so your mobility plan should help.

Big G - Edinburgh is 500 miles from here!!  I know as I've driven there a few times, for an ultra.

Good luck Rcouture and Ian (and OH) today, hope it's not too warm for you.

My ankle has been niggling me, not quite in the same place but had a couple of twinges yesterday and there's a very slight swelling, not sure if I did something in the gym on Friday.   So rest day today, I've already done 45 miles this week.  Have booked into the gym for first session today, 8 a.m. and will do upper body session.   I usually do a late morning gym session but this way I'm hoping to avoid the heat.  I can't leave the windows open in my flat when out, disadvantage of being on the ground floor.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, but if I go back to Edinburgh I’d definitely do that new one. They do have others near the city, but they’re a bus ride out, whereas this new one is very central and I reckon it’ll be a very good one. 

Came to Dunkirk yesterday at a campsite about 25mins from the ferry. We knew when we’d booked that it was huge (300 pitches) and it was pretty crammed in and full, with no more pitches available.  There were a lot there making it a holiday for several days as it was right on the beach, but for us it was just a ‘needs must’-type thing. 

We filled up with diesel as it saved about £40 doing it here, and we’re at the ferry port after going through all the checks with no problems, and will be boarding in about 30mins.  We’ve had a great holiday and I don’t want to go home!  We do have a few days in Wales soon, and we’re wondering about IoW although we’ve not booked that yet.  
  • Options
    Big G Edinburgh sounds like a good parkrun,

cal Spose 3 laps for a parkrun means a lot of turning which slows us down? You can get some good deals on the train to Edinburgh 😆 

Shades glad you understand the difference between warm and hot, I’m sure FVC entry will be in later today.

Rcouture good luck today! 

Big G wise to stock up on petrol, can see people ditching booze cruises and popping over the continent just for petrol.

bad a pretty rough night last night, hip was a bit screamy and some made dreams which found me at the bottom of the bed 😆 

crazy to think people are still running at the event yesterday doing the 100, I’m glad someone I booted out the cp went on to finish the 50’instead of dropping at 30, also a local runner is doing her 2nd attempt at a 100 miler after getting to 85 miles a couple of months ago and going dizzy.  She’s at least 85 miles in.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    People who do ultras in this weather are either incredibly brave or utterly mad. Maybe both!
    I do have a friend who's moved up near Edinburgh...might need to plan a visit! But next few months I'm going to have to knuckle down on training.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, Big G - enjoyed seeing the photos.

Shades, I admit I've not stretched my hams in a long while, as that's the one thing you don't want to do with ham tendinopathy. I used to be able to get my hands flat on the floor. It'll come back, though.
    Hope the ankle isn't anything serious.

As for me...ouch. I am very, very, very loosely basing my training on P&D, and today's long run was supposed to be 16 miles with 10 at MP. Which I knew was completely beyond me as I can just about manage a parkrun at MP, let alone 10 miles as part of the longest run I've done since Manchester Marathon. Then there's the small matter of my right SI joint being a whiny little sod and everything else on that side hurting because of it.

I settled on 16 miles with some miles a bit faster than easy pace...I was aiming for 10 minute miles but that didn't quite happen. The first one felt like it should have been 10 but was actually 40 seconds slower; the next I had to stop twice for cars, and then I managed a 9:55. I guess I'd shot my bolt with that as I then got progressively slower again until I hit 13 miles in Battersea Park. Decided to jog the remaining three back home as it was uphill and my right hip, ham and achilles were all hurting like mad.
    I made it to 16, but felt like I'd run a marathon. It was that bad I even stretched when I got back. 🤣
    Easy week now...partly because it's going to be in the 30s and partly because I've that 8 mile race on Sunday. I'm hoping I'll be a bit more acclimatised by then!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it won't be long before you'll be taking to the road again.  Good deal on the derv, when I was in Ireland fuel was the same price as here.

Robert - 'warm' is when you don't have to exert yourself so it's no big deal.
      'hot' I when you have to do something despite the weather, run, work etc. 😉 and that's hard.

Respect to those doing the longer distances, especially 100 miles, this weather just makes it so much harder.

Hope that hip is OK.

Gym was nice and cool and the instructor spent some time with me showing me some TRX exercises.   

It's warm here and I'm just going to make a big pan of soup.  😅
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - What’s your next marathon?

Asics 10k today. Not the most fun experience to be honest. Pretty brutal conditions as expected with no respite from the sun on shadeless London streets. I was also at the back of a pen ranging from 40-45 mins so much of the race was spent dodging folks on what is a wriggly course. Anyway beyond the litany of excuses, I was pretty happy with the effort with no taper. Came in at 41:58 which is 56 seconds off my PB. Definitely felt there was a lot more there but I’m not quite sure how beneficial this was for my marathon versus going out early for a long run. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - well done, good racing.  Next time ( if there's another short race) put a faster time on your entry.  I think you've had a few races where you've had to manoeuvre past slower runners and that can be frustrating.

Is that a PB by 56 seconds or 56 seconds slower than your current PB?

Racing is the best speed work of all, you do plenty of long runs.

Cal - xpost earlier.

Well done, that must have been a tough run today especially in this weather.   I hear others saying how hard that particular training run is so good for you giving it your best shot.  Is your training MP your calculated pace based on current level of fitness, not PB or hoped for?  I don't know, never read P&D.

I haven't been to Pilates for a few months but we did a lot of work on hamstring stretching so mine are OK, for now.  But as you've had injuries you wouldn't have been able to do that.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Shades - Sorry that’s 56s slower. Regarding the recurring dodging people issue, that’s honestly just a function of life as I’m constantly late arriving to races (this time it was due to picking up my eldest from a sleepover). I know you’re right regarding races and the fact I hate 5-10ks so much reflects that I probably need to do more of them! I can tell with the shorter races I’m just not used to the pace and the different type of suffering so I really should sign up for more. Haven’t even done a parkrun ever before yet and this was only my 3rd ever 10k.