Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-That's probably what makes it really frustrating.
    Gidey faded after 18 and finished 2nd.
    Here's where I struggle seeing these results,Men's winner has never ran a marathon and finished 16s behind the WR and 3rd fastest time ever,and the woman's winner ran her PB 6 years ago and beat it by 10mins.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Does seem very suspicious, but there could be valid reasons for both.   

But just that uneasy feeling, doesn't go away.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I see the winning man has a half marathon time of 57 or 58 minutes.  Kenya had 3 runners doing their first marathon today with half times of 57 or 58 minutes.

What shoes were they all wearing?  ;)
  • Options
    Nice one, Ian. Shades, not so windy in London. Cold enough for my winter top though.
    Ran 12 miles, Wandle route. I don't often do the Wandle in winter but wanted to pay my respects to Rob, the Chaser who got killed by a bus, as that was along the way. Someone had put a club vest on the post where he died along with flowers and I got pretty choked up seeing that. 
    Run otherwise uneventful - achy ham and glute but bearable.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - lovely idea to do a tribute run in memory of your fellow Chaser.
  • Options
    Well I've also signed up for something called the Mince Pi run in a couple of weeks, as Rob was going to do it so a bunch of Chasers will be running there for him. It's 3.14 mile circuits on some horrible wet muddy route with a sandbank scramble at one point, so not sure whether I'll do one lap or several - I guess it depends how cold and wet I get. :lol:
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's brilliant.   I'm sure that the reason you'll be there will spur you on to do a few laps.  Sounds a challenging course.

Robert - how did you get on at your race today?
  • Options
    Cal that’s a nice touch from your club mates. Enjoy the pi run sounds like fun, especially if there are mince pies.

RCouture well done on the 16 miles,
    certainly wasn’t the nicest of mornings.

Ian I’ve had a couple of calf strains in last few years, I wasn’t able to run so didn’t and just focused on s&c exercises, hope it’s better soon.

Big G Happy belated birthday wishes, hope you enjoy Lisbon 

Shades well done on the 8 miles, have you got plans to ramp the hills up for DD next year? 

Wendover woods 6 hours- ATW event for me today, used another free race entry for is, the race was originally planned for September but postponed to today.

3 weeks ago I couldn’t walk a mile with my calf strain so was never going to be easy. 5k loops, 9 for marathon, no need to do any more today, any less then just good to get miles on the legs.

arrived with about 40 mins to spare, gave me a chance to pop to the loo then say a few hellos as not seen many of the ATW team this year with injuries and new job. 

mix of events cannicross which was funny watching them set off, there was a 5km, 10km, 15km, 20km, 6 hour enduro, plus duathalon sprint, standard and middle only 100 entrants and 40 cannicross.

the loops are the parkrun in reverse, first 1.2 miles are downhill i rand this section for the first 6 loops then halted by a climb, before another drop and run through a forest area before snaking back up to the finish about 350ft elevation per loop.

it was tough and thought about quitting at 5,6 and 7 loops but things picked up for the final 2 laps, despite the ATW asking for one more lap I kindly obliged finished in 5:21 before the event expected to finish about 5:15 - 5:30. Legs are sore now but nothing too bad! 9th out of 18 and had I ran the 5,10,20km I would have finished on the podium 

Oh and it was bloody cold, no idea how the marshals stayed out so long and so supportive.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that's a great result, especially as you've not been able to do much training.   Pretty good splits too under the circumstances.  Can't have been easy keeping going in the cold.

Tough day for marshalls too, can be a very cold job in weather like this.

I'd like to do DD if I have enough speed.   But I have Connemara Ultra in April first, not as hilly as DD, but 2 significant and long climbs at 26 miles and 36 miles so some hill training will help.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rest day for me today.   

Have a turkey roasting in the oven 😋 

Off to the gym once the turkey is cooked.
  • Options
    Shades - love a Turkey but prefer a crown, can’t be dealing with legs and wings.  Compared to the ratio of my races which include hills, I tent to hide from them.

Backs a bit creaky this morning but no other issues other than general doms, very much doubt will get out for a run today as heading over to my sisters later for dog sitting.  It's a 3 mile walk to the office in the morning so that should loosen things up a bit.  

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I like the turkey leg meat and by having a whole turkey I will get enough stock after using the carcass for stock to make four batches of soup.  Turkey and lentil soup is my favourite.   I do buy the turkey crowns too, they are so easy to cook and slice up.   Dismembering a whole turkey is not a pleasant task.

That's good that nothing more than expected DOMS after that challenging course.

I guess you'll be doing a fair amount of walking this week if you're dog sitting.

Gym was good, managed to duck the advent calendar which gives you a particular exercise to do 😢
  • Options
    Rob - Great run. You seem to be able to run well in races even when the training in the lead up has been tough. 

Shades - That’s not my kind of advent calendar 

Ian - There’s a recent sweat elite podcast episode on the Kenyan doping stuff. They do a decent job suggesting it’s overblown but who knows. 

6 miles this morning. Unpleasant as heavy headed due to the football. Didn’t have time for recovery run yesterday as had to drive to a family get together near Oxford then got back into London with about 5 minutes until kickoff. Still, managed 50 miles again last week. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - not my sort of advent calendar either, not a chocolate in sight.

You're doing well getting your 50mpw done as your life seems busy right now.   Just as well you did your long run on Saturday last week.

7 miles this morning.   Nasty NE wind has gone and much more pleasant conditions today and roads are nice and dry. 
  • Options
    I am not doing advent anything. I have bought a calendar a few times, though the ones with pictures, not chocolates. But I'm not splashing on unnecessary stuff this year. (I still have to go out and post my cards in a minute, though).

6 miles today - waited until daylight. Less keen on running in the dark these days. Did some strides in the last mile to try and get my legs turning over again as my cadence has dropped off as well as my stride length.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I don't have an advent calendar either, don't think I've ever had one except when I was working and might have been one in the office from a  generous supplier.

Haven't done my Xmas cards, I try to reduce the number every year, managed to get down to single figures now, think I had a list of 70 a few years ago.   I hate writing them and leave the dreaded task quite late and post a couple of days before Xmas.
  • Options
    Shades - Things aren’t so busy compared to when I’m working but they’re certainly busier than I anticipated. I pick up the littlest at midday from nursery and eldest later in the afternoon so combining that with getting them ready in the morning and making dinner, it’s amazing how quickly the time in between passes. OH has no real side effects from her treatment but has basically downed tools during this period 😀.

7 miles this morning. So cold so first day of leggings as well. Really not looking forward to this upcoming freezing spell. 

I have signed up via charity (Ian’s suggestion) for Berlin. They haven’t actually confirmed my application yet so we will see. Two very good friends from uni have also said they’d sign up for it which should be fun. For one it will be his first marathon and he’s rather out of shape so some doubts that he follows through with it. The other has done some Ironmans and a couple of marathons so is more likely but he lives in New York so has to check the travel timing. 

First session with new physio too this morning. She thinks the hammy is difficult to 100% diagnose since we can’t replicate the issue but she’s pretty certain it’s a hamstring strain from hill sprints I was doing when they started, which has then had a nerve impact. She’s given me both hamstring strengthening and nerve ‘flossing’ exercises so fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that's good that your OH isn't suffering any side effects, but I'm sure being able to offload some of her workload onto you is helping her deal with the treatment.

That's great news about Berlin, hope you get confirmation soon, will be an enjoyable trip with your friends.

Sounds promising with the new physio.   What do you have to do for nerve flossing? 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just googled the nerve flossing exercises and a lot of them we used to do in Pilates classes.   I've lapsed but must start going back to classes again.
  • Options
    Shades - They are exercises that target irritated nerves by stretching them apparently. The one she wants me to do daily is lying on my back with a straight leg up and shifting, i.e. flossing that leg across inwards using a resistance band about 8 times. Takes a while of doing it regularly to see results but I don’t mind as it’s not like I can’t run. She said total rest is actually bad for nerve issues anyway.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Great news on Berlin,hopefully all gets confirmed soon.
    Rob-Well done on the race.
    The leg has been better again the last couple of days,no limping at all,but I can still feel it,decided to go for a small jog to see how it felt.Only 2 miles and I can definitely feel it there,but only the same as I've felt it most of this year,now got the hot water bottle as per TR's advice so I'll see how it is in the morning 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ian - hot water bottle then self massage when you sit on the couch at the end of the day is a good idea. Also worth a bit of hot water bottle before you run, and possibly tights to run in given how cold its about to get. Calves like heat.

RC - as before Magnesium is recommended for nerve issues (as well as being a good idea for older runners).

Shades - i entered NDVM, but i note that someone else was very quick off the mark with their entry..........was also listening to a podcast earlier which said all runners over 40 would benefit massively from pilates.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I'm going to do a few of those flossing exercises at home until I get back to Pilates.   I occasionally get the odd nerve twinge so hopefully a few flossing exercises will keep it at bay.  I quite enjoy that type of stretching.

No more rest for you then.  I will nag you even more next time you take all those days off post race.  😉

Ian - hope the leg is OK tomorrow.

TR - I couldn't agree more about the Pilates.  I dabbled a few years ago but it's only when I gave up work that I started going on a regular basis usually twice a week.   It takes a long time to make improvements but they are significant improvements and they have definitely helped my running too.

I was slightly confused when I read your remark about NDVM so had a look at the entries.  🤣 I don't think he was quick of the mark, I'm sure he deferred his entry.

Of course there's no pressure wearing race number 1 is there😂....

Big G - come in number 1, are you home from your hols yet?  😊
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    TR-I am off today and tomorrow so it's a lot easier to hot water and massage them so had a lot today.
    Rcouture-I looked at that flossing and on 1 video a lot of people commented they had injury line mine so I did them before and will do them the next week or so.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - my wife always tells me I should do pilates as she was a dancer and laughs at my inflexibility......I didn't know you could defer, I couldn't run due to CV, I should have tried. But maybe the money helped funds anyway.

Ian - kerp at it and see if it helps. The heat promotes blood flow, then massage it when warm.

Finally ticked off a marathon for the year at Goodwwod sunday, bitterltly cold, with negative wind chill. Two long sleeves, double gloves, neck buff and hat.......probably cost me a sub2 all that lot.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - we'll all be flossing 🤣

TR - Pilates is good for balance too and proprioception which is important for ankle strength.

Innes at NDVM has always been generous towards runners that can't run on the day.   I don't know her rules now but I have in the past had a refund, less an admin charge, when I was injured one year.   She may have made a special dispensation for Big G as I think he had a deferred entry from 2020 and the reason he couldn't run he was going to Belfast to run his 100th marathon.

Well done doing a marathon in that weather, must have been Baltic conditions on that course.   I bet you still did a great time.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Shades - hopefully my money boosted funds then........I did 2.57.49, slight negative split, wasn't sure on health or fitness so played it a bit safe, as sub3 was a priority if possible. Might have had a bit more in the tank, as i felt pretty good at the finish and now. I was probably in sub 255 shape in Sept before i got unwell. But pleased to tick off a sub 3 for the year (aged 55). Wind was one of the better days, but obviously still a bit of an issue in certain directions, I like this next bit.........10m av 6.46, 10m av 6.45, 6m av 6.46, 0.3m av 6.29...........fuelled by 5 gels and a bottle of Lucozade.
  • Options
    Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Shades I’ve got a chocolate and a cheese advent calendar, prefer mine than the gyms! 

TR well done on goodwood, there was no escaping the cold on Sunday! 

Rcouture good news on Berlin! Do you feel responsible for giving your friends ideas for doing marathon.

Ian hope the hot water bottle and massage works.

Cal thankfully I don’t have to write too many Xmas cards done to single figures too and close family only.  

3 mile walk to work this morning and 3 miles run back, shins were tender but no major issues after Sunday.

I only have myself to blame for Sunday, they offered the 6 hour event after I made the suggestion after last years event, I won’t be suggesting a summer event in reverse! Ps for the Shadies sheet the final time was 5:21:30 and 45km 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, yep I’m back. 

Had a great time in Lisbon.  It’s a great city and unusual I think as it’s really steep in and around the immediate city centre, and there are funiculars, escalators and trams to get around the hills, but still a lot of walking. The food was fantastic - seafood especially - and of course the fresh pasteis de nata were brilliant. I only got one run in but we had a great weekend and saw all the sights. 

Arrived back home at around 1am Tuesday morning and then I had to go and get Tigg from a friend in Tintagel for 10:30, before going to Dad’s to sort out stuff over there. We had committee tonight so no exercise today, but hoping to get out for a run or a Zwift ride tomorrow. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - considering how poorly you were with that chest infection that's a great time.  A good way to finish a year which wasn't great for your marathons.  Impressive splits too.

Robert - Cheese advent calendar, now you're talking.

Marathon list later this morning, after I've been food shopping.

Big G - glad you enjoyed Lisbon, I have fond memories of the custard tarts with strong coffee for breakfast.   Hope Tigg enjoyed his hols too.

I don't know if you read our chat on NDVM above, you have race number one.    :open_mouth:

5 miles this morning.   Colder but OK for running, just a light wind and no frost.   Roads nice and dry except for where they've salted the main roads and that's attracted the moisture and made them slippery.   I never understand why they do that, if they didn't salt the road it would be bone dry and safer, I saw a cyclist nearly crash on a corner and he wasn't going fast.