Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - that's sad news but IMHO it's nothing to do with Zwift or other users of Zwift.

As Ian says just not practical or sensible to introduce messaging or any other type of notification.   

People have to be responsible for their own health and it's solely the individuals decision as to how hard they race or train. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    6 miles including parkrun this morning, for my first run since last Saturday’s parkrun. Bumped into a friend and ran the whole thing with her, at a really chatty pace, and had a nice run. Foot not too bad although by no means perfect.

I’ll try and do a short run in the week as I was planning on using a new pair of shoes for the marathon but want to do a short practice run in them first. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - resting your foot doesn't seem to help much, does it?   But at this stage before your marathon there's no point in doing any training.   Must be difficult to know what to do training wise.

Not wearing your Nike race shoes then for Chicago?

Rest day for me.   Knee is less niggly today but a little swelling.   Have walked a couple of miles morning, went to get my flu jab, and it was fine.

I'm not planning to go to Barnstaple tomorrow although I did sneak a look at the weather.  Not great for marathon running as first 3 hours has humidity from 97 to 91% 🥵
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    No point wearing the Nikes. If I get to the stage where I’m doing quite a lot of walking, which I expect, they’re no good for walking. Plus fitness is gone and just plodding around in racing shoes makes no sense as I’ve got more comfortable shoes for that. 

Just been for a 4 mile walk with Tigg and foot is pretty sore….
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - that makes sense, those shoes are no good for walking.   I've passed a few runners struggling in the latter stages of a marathon and they're wobbling and not looking comfortable at all.

That's so annoying about your foot, you've been really careful in the last week. 

Is Tigg off to the dog sitter next week?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yes, Tigg is going for this holidays, and getting picked up on Wednesday. 

Yeah, it’s really frustrating. Trying not to let it get to me, but it’s tough and I am struggling a bit with the ups and downs. Trying to stay positive and I am genuinely looking forward to the city break, if not the race itself. The fitness goes really quickly, when it takes me months to build. 

I haven’t really mentioned it but I’ve been doing a course recently, and the course is on Wednesday evenings. I’ve done a few different courses over the years, that take my fancy. Flights are such that I can make both Wednesday sessions although I expect I’ll be knackered for the second Wednesday as that’s the day we arrive back in UK. I do have to do about 3-4hrs work between the two Wednesdays, which I am hoping to do on the plane or at the airport, although usually the coursework is online, so I am trying to get it as PDF etc. I have said I’ll keep on top of Trotters stuff, which is probably a couple of hours a week just answering simple queries etc, but I’ll try and get rid of that responsibility for the Tokyo trip. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - well you'll know that Tigg will be safe and enjoying himself too.

You're doing all you can re injury, rehab and making the best of your Chicago trip.   Not having any pressure, whether self imposed or expected of you by others, relieves you of high expectations when it comes to race performance.   But instead you still have the injury to deal with, but I'm sure you'll get round and have a good day. 

I haven't made it back to the start line yet!   But I'm not giving up hope. 

Interesting, what subject are you studying now?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Louey - good luck for tomorrow.   

Look out for Nessie 🦖
  • Options
    Rob - good job on the home upgrades. And oof, 205 euros for Berlin! Thinking I might try anyway but will have to think about it.
    Big G - yikes! Tunde was telling me today about a guy from his club, 61, very fit, who was out running with the club one evening, went home and just keeled over dead. Heart. Not good. If that happened to me, I don't think anyone would realise until the neighbours complained about the smell. Anyway... I remember when I was around 40 or so and I got into Crossfit (and the time there weren't many Crossfit gyms here so I just followed the workout of the day at my own gym, as much as I could given the equipment). And the official WoD was almost always high intensity. I ended up busting my immune system - I got every bug and virus going that year and had to really dial back my training to just slow and steady basic weights. Took a while to get better again.
    Shades, hope you get on top of that knee issue.

I've had a quiet week, not feeling up to much. Bit of a scratchy throat but it never came to anything. I had a lacklustre four miler on Wednesday and then another yesterday. Today I went with Tunde to The Leas (Minster) parkrun in Kent - a mostly flat double out and back along the prom. Felt better than I had midweek but while I felt I was going quickly, I could only manage 29:03 which is pretty poor on a fast course like that. When I ran just over 26 at Worthing early in the year I thought great, this is the start of my comeback, I can get back under 26 this year, but I've never got even remotely close to that again. It's pretty frustrating.
    Anyway, I guess I need to recover some more. I've got a 10 miler on the 15th so will see how that goes.
    Rcouture, which 10K are you doing?

• Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Quick post - nearly didn’t make it here yesterday. Accident on the M1 and our 30 min drive to Luton Airport took 1hr15. Got to bag drop with a minute to spare and then had to run the length of the airport to get the flight. OH was convinced the bag wouldn’t make it on the plane but thankfully it did. I had all my running stuff in hand luggage so it wouldn’t have been a disaster but obvs not ideal if it hadn’t turned up. It was a little stressful!!

We spent the morning at the event village, spent a fortune on food (3 x hungry boys) and bought an emergency pair of gloves, some socks and a Nessie hoodie. Because we haven’t really had any cold weather yet I haven’t got into the mindset of bringing cold weather gear and it was a bit fresh this morning. 

This afternoon we had a road trip to Ullapool and stopped at an amazing waterfall/ gorge en route. 

Going to aim for 4:10 pace again and see how I go. It might depend on how windy it is. 

Shades - sorry to hear about the knee but probably the right decision to bin Barnstaple if it is swollen. 

BigG - hoping the foot pain is just a bit of maranoia. I’m sure you will have a good time in Chicago whatever happens. 

Robert - glad to hear your house renovations are all done! Sounds like it’s taken a while. Have you got any race plans?
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Cal - it sounds like you’ve been fighting something off. Don’t be too hard on yourself on the parkrun time. 
  • Options
    Good luck Louey!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - if you've not been feeling great this week and only able to do a couple of short runs, then your parkrun time today wasn't so bad.

Louey - I felt your stress of nearly missing your flight today after my experience in August when I didn't even get as far as the airport. 😨

I lived in the Inverness area for a couple of years a very long time ago.  I hated the cold and when I met my future husband whilst on holiday in Jersey I was only too happy to pack up and move to warmer weather in Jersey.

Hopefully the wind will be behind you tomorrow, it usually is on that course.   Have a good run. 
  • Options
    You've been around a bit, Shades!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - England, Ireland, Scotland, Channel Islands, never lived in Wales.   Nothing against Wales just the situation never occurred.   Only place I disliked was Scotland.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, is it a definite DNS for you today then? Regarding the training, I do some volunteering for a ‘listening service’ and this is some training for that. What do you think of Roglic leaving Jumbo Visma?  Presumably he wants a crack at TdF and if he joins a good team who throws their whole effort behind him (which Jumbo don’t) he’s got a chance. The thing with Jumbo is that they’ve got Roglic and Jonas, plus van Aert who wants his own stage wins, so they don’t all support Roglic, unlike UAE who is built around Pogacar.  If Roglic joins someone like Ineos and he takes some support riders with him, he’s got a chance. Seeing Roglic, Jonas and Pogacar on different teams could be exciting. 

Louey, best of luck!  Glad you got up there okay!

Cal, I keep on thinking what it could have been like for the team. They presumably just saw his Zwift avatar stop, and probably were trying to work out what was going on, whilst chatting together on Discord.  And then presumably his wife and/or kids found him! Very recently a pro rider for the top team Jumbo Visma had an incident whilst driving a car, and it was reportedly touch and go for him for a while. Undiagnosed heart issue, now forced to retire from cycling. And that is someone who presumably had lots of tests done through his career, presumably had access to top notch medical care, etc. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/66871751

The thing with Zwift is it’s almost like having access to a 24hr piece of gym equipment, but with no one advising you what to do. I’ve heard it mentioned that the training plans are designed for time-starved riders, with too much intensity in the plans (I don’t use the plans - I just do Z2 rides, and then race occasionally). And there are just so many races, official Zwift series that run in parallel with high profile league races, prompts in the game to push it with options to race/beat your own avatar from a previous ride etc.  I do think it’s great but it is kind of set up for pushing hard, but I totally agree it’s an individual choice, although I suppose not everyone knows how to train sensibly, and arguably Zwift itself doesn’t really encourage sensible training. Even I find myself pushing extremely hard in races sometimes, harder than I think I would outside. Subconsciously I think ‘I’m at home, after this I can jump straight in the shower and recover’ whereas outside down at the velopark I wouldn’t do that. I do only one race once (sometimes twice) a week though, with pretty much everything else in Z2 and I think of the race as my hard effort of the week. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, a definite DNS today for me unfortunately.

I didn't know Roglic was leaving Jumbo Visma, but makes sense as they're top heavy right now.   

Many online training platforms, or even just training plans are hard core.   Individuals need to do their research and train within their own abilities.   But punters want results, often unachievable results and are daft enough to think they can achieve that.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it’s odd, as Roglic has done very well this year, but for whatever reason Jumbo don’t put everything behind him. He even won a very tough one day race yesterday, which will be one of his last for the team - I think he’s got two more races for them, including Il Lombardia, which is one of the five ‘Monuments’ (one of the 5 most prestigious one day races). He obviously won Giro, and won other stages and races, but I think Jumbo value Jonas more highly. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Louey-Close call on the flight,have a great race.
    Big G-Presume you heard about the coach crash by us? Recently I've got in to a real mindset of anything could happen at any time regardless of what we do in life so enjoy it while you can,and that is another example,fit guy in his 40's looks like he's had a medical incident at the wheel,that zwift guy could have keeled over at a bus stop,there could easily be no relation to the cycle, was just his time.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah I saw that news, and I know where you’re coming from. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - maybe as Roglic's contract was coming to an end, or he was demanding too much, or rumour about him negotiating with other teams.   All reasons why they may not be investing in him right now. 

Just watching the road running championships.   Riga looks nice, you did the marathon there I think?

Ian - you're right, it's incidents such as that coach crash that makes us think we just have to make the best of life while we can.   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’ve not done been to Riga. Maybe one day though!  Although they’re not close, the one I did over towards the east of Europe was Sofia. The marathon itself isn’t a favourite of mine, but it was a great trip. Wizz Air flies/flew out to some of these places affordably, although I’ve not checked prices recently. Wizz Air also was the sponsor for some marathons/events and even had a training plan on their site. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - sorry, must have confused Riga with Sofia.  ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Borders League today,its one of the few ran on a certified 10k.obviously with it being Wales there were hills involved.Tougher day than expected,finished in 42:18.Main hills were in the 1st half so 21:18 and 21 splits were a small positive.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Ian, good result. 

Aren't the other 10k races you do run on certified courses?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes if I do a proper 10k they are,this is the club league we do and they are usually weird distance like 9.8km or similar,all depends on the route they can get.
    Just watched the HM champs,2 great finishes in both races.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, league races tend to be whatever the course is on the day.

I haven't watched the half marathon races yet, having a break after watching the 5k and mile races.
  • Options
    LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Ouch! 4:19:08. That was brutal!! It’s going to hurt tomorrow. Will do proper report later 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Louey 🙂
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Knee felt fine this morning, 5 miles done.   Warm and humid again, BBC says 100% humidity 🥵