Options

Micksta Coaching

Comments

• Options
    JAGGY J:

Thanks for the update, I was actually thinking about emailing you to see how things were going.

Sounds like really good news as well, some good times there, fingers crossed this will set you up nicely for having a good run in PARIS.

Remember now with it being 2-weeks away, you should be well into the taper stage of your programnow and easing back on distance and intensity of your sessions.

I have booked my hotel for Manchester 10k as well, so if your still running there, we can have a drink or something after the race.
  • Options
    Micksta- I'm doing a Manc 10k on may 21. Hopefully I can put your speedwork advice to good use for this race.

Looks like 6 good training weeks left.

Have planned a session with longer "efforts" of 4x 1km into it for Tues and will repeat my 8x400m intervals on Fridays.

Should I just stick with this for a bit and see how things go?
  • Options
    STUMP:
    Is that the Bupa Manchester 10k? Im doing that one as well!

Yes that sounds a pretty sensible plan for the time being, will give you a few good weeks to see if your times are improving. The 1k reps maybe do these on a road or park if you can.

With the 400s if you get bored with these, then you can always do a 16x200m session, which is the same distance covered.

If training goes well, then maybe take things up to 5x1k and 10x400m, but thats for a few weeeks time, then see how things progress.
  • Options
    Micksta - I'll stick with the plan till Manc. If it gets easier I'll extend but given my previous shocker I don't think boredom will be the issue!

I'm doing the Bupa Great Manchester Run on 21st May. See you there. I will be going sub 45 in this race! Never done it before but looking at last years results the diff between my current PB and 45 min (some 2min 30 secs) will be about 600 bodies!

Bring it on! :)
  • Options
    Micksta

Thanks for that - Don't really know how it will go in Paris but maybe just mind over matter.....

Appreciate the programme because I feel better prepared - you've done you're bit down to me now! Thanks.

Who knows - it's a bit about where you are on the day I think. As long as I am who I think I can be I'll be happy.

See you in Manchester!

J
  • Options
    JAGGY J:
    You put in the hard work so I reckon your get a nice reward and a good PB if things go well on the day.

Just enjoy the race and see how things go! :)

Looks like a group of us will be at Manchester!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Today's session went reasonably well. Although there was unwelcomed support from some local little chavs.

So for Thursdays session I'm planning on going to the local sports centre and running round their field.

It was fairly windy however if I've worked things out right based on the OS map measured with a ruler my pace was 13:12 per mile. Based on the Google Earth measurements (taking the shortest distance round the field) it would be 14:05 per mile.

I've decided against getting a Garmin or Navman as one of the places I intend to run has a track marked out on the grass so I can use that for a mile.
  • Options
    HY4:
    Yes common problem that the chav brigade, I often get trouble myself where I run sometimes.

Sounds like the session went well though, the wind does knock you back a little for sure, the grass track for measuring sounds great, use it if you can.
  • Options
    Micksta: 4x1km just done with circa 500m jog recoveries - they were a bit variable

1# 3:37
    2# 3:30
    3# 3:33
    4# 3:30

I had HRM this time and peak was 96% avg was 87%
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I did find it hard though I know the wind affects you. After I'd ran round the field twice I'd got 20 secs left til 15 min and I think when I had the chav problem at the end I speeded up just a bit too much. So it was time for my tropical fish impression!

Tomorrow I'm planning on going to the local sports centre and trying that. If I get on okay there then that will be where my 'long' run is on Satuday.
  • Options
    STUMP:
    Looks a good session that, times are still consistent in my view, guessing the fact it was probably windy whilst you were training.

Your aim now should be to either match or beat the times achieved in the session the next time you run it! :)
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I had a fairly encouraging run today (even managed some of it on a path) so much so that I'm going to the grass running track on Saturday to get a definate distance for my first long run!

Although I do have a definate problem from my run this evening! And its really pathetic!

How do you clean muddy all leather running shoes?

I know being a woman I should know these things but I only use to run on pavements.
  • Options
    HY4:
    I usually wait until the mud has dried a little then get a kitchen knife and scrape most of the mud off.

Then a damp cloth to clean the rest of it, usually does the trick. This being with normal running trainers and spikes.

Then stick in the airing cupboard for a few hours to dry.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Micksta.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Had a slight disaster on today's run not caused by injury I'll hasten to add!

About 20 min into my planned 32 min run I heard what sounded like my car alarm going off. So I plodded back to the car and it was okay, so tried to complete the remainder of the run on the pavement. Luckliy the pavement had been re-surface last year and is interspaced with grass. I managed to add another 6 mins onto the time.

What do I do for my runs this week stick to the initial plan and then instead of doing 48 min next weekend do today's session again or do I today's session in the week so I can stick to the plan for the long runs?
  • Options
    HY4:
    If you can try and stick to the plan with the long runs.

Go by how you feel during the week, if things go well then do Saturdays run during the week, if not, then just follow your normal schedule and run 48mins next weekend.

• Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    Micksta

Hope you don't mind me asking for advice! I have run 3 marathons now, best time 4:03 and when following a training plan I do 30-35 miles a week (barring injury/illness!)

I'd really love to get my marathon time down to well below 4 hours, closer to 3:45 really! My next marathon will be in October.

Would picking my mileage up to 50-60 miles a week help with this? Would doing more shorter races (10k and half mara) help me?

Thanks so much :-)
  • Options
    Running more miles will always help, providing it is done in a planned, logical way and the increase is handled progressively.

(Just my thoughts.)
  • Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I would like to add quality miles but I am scare if I up my mileage I wont have the energy for speedwork! Also, I work as a personal trainer so I do about 3-4 hours a week or walking/slow (11-12 min mile) running in addition to my runs, plus I teach 2 spinning classes a week at a gym!
  • Options
    PARROTMAD:
    Yes, by increasing the mileage to 50-55mpw, that would knock a chunk of your current time.

Ive been beaten to replying, but as has already been mentioned, you will need to slowely work up to this mileage, my advice would be adding a small amount every few weeks and hitting the 50-55mpw, during July. By doing this your body will adjust to the increased load.

With the enrergy side of things, you may find you will need to increase your food intake mainly Carbohydrates. again monitor this by how your feeling.

You can also add speedwork to your training to help with leg speed once a week, doing 10k races are also good, but not as important as doing speedwork and intervals in my view, hope this helps.
  • Options
    Micksta,

I managed 5 pain free miles last night, with two of those miles sub 7m/m. Prior to my injury in January I was regularly running 30 miles a week. My plan for this year is to improve my 10k and 1/2 mara times (current PB's 40m27s and 1h32m32s respectively). I realise that I need to build back up gradually, but how many miles should I be doing before starting to follow a schedule, and what is the best way to go about breaking my current PB's?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gary
  • Options
    BEEBLE.

Good to here you managed the 5-mile run without any problems.

Once you can run between 15-20mpw, without any pain or discomfort, at my guess thats about 3-times per week, then your be ready to follow a schedule in my view.

In order to break your PBs, there is no magic formula,just gradual build up of mileage will build the aerobic base, then adding in some speed/interval sessions, these will be what gives you the extra leg speed to break your PBs.

And of course finding the right kind of race which is mainly flat and does not have loads of hills.

If you do the above, then I see no reason why your PBs will not be much improved during the season.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I found a site which does hacks for Google Earth and there was one for part of Nuneaton so I've got some accurate(ish) distances!

It worked out in 15 min I ran 1.94 kms and my was about what my easy pace was last year but because I was running into a head wind it felt so hard.
  • Options
    @!*&&%%%%!!!!!! speedwork!

Hurts like hell.
  • Options
    HY4:

Yup, running in headwind makes a big difference and for sure your be working a lot harder than if it was still conditions.

Good that you have access to accurate distances though, this will be very useful for you to plan and moniter your progress.

STUMP:
    Thats the point of speedwork, it does generally hurt like hell! but the benefits are worth it in the long term ;p
  • Options
    parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    Thanks Micksta and others for your help - I'll shout if I get stuck ;-)
  • Options
    Micksta - 4.2m XC race in 28:17 - I'd say the speedwork was helping already!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I finally feel as though my running is back on track now.

I'm beginning to think about running on the pavements now and may do the last 5 min of Tuesday's run. Would 5 min be too much? Or does that sound about right?
  • Options
    HY4:
    Thats good to here, sounds like the hip is giving less trouble now.

5-mins will be fine to run on pavement, if the weather stays pretty much the same.

If its frosty or cold on Tuesday, then maybe skip the pavement running as a frost can make the ground pretty hard!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    It can still play up at times, especially if I don't keep moving a bit after the run. With this being the longest run recently tomorrow will tell.

The run today felt really strange in a good way. It seemed as though I was crawling with speed I was running at but it was 12:15 per mile which is a bit faster than what I want to run at for my long run.