Options

Micksta Coaching

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I wish I could edit these posts. I meant to say I'm on antibotics.
  • Options
    HY4:
    Let me know how the jog goes? even if its for 5mins your still getting out and doing something, I reckon your go a bit further though :)
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta

You was right I did go further by about 19 min!

I did 5 min run (a proper run not plod) with 3 min walk 3 times and did 3k in 23:37.

What was really encouraging for me is that for the first 5 min I covered just over 1/2 a mile.
  • Options
    HY4:
    See I told you that the distance would be further ;p

Good to see you back running again, indeed thats encouraging, keep it up!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Micksta,

I think for the time being I'll stick to the 5 min run 3 min walk and try and build the distance up.

If I can get out for a run in the week then that will be a huge bonus for me!
  • Options
    Micksta - Still on the programme you gave me - Did 18 miles today in a tad under 2 1/2 hours. Felt I had a few more miles in the tank. Still no injuries and confidence high at the moment.

Thanks

John
  • Options
    John,
    Sounds very good news! Looks like the program is working pretty well for you, keep up the good work.

Do you have any races planned before your marathon attempt just to refresh my memory?
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Went for a run straight after work today!

Did 3.16 miles in 40:30 with only 1 walk break of 2 min so I think I'll be okay for the race now. I plodded along for 23 min before I needed the walk break.
  • Options
    Hi - Planning a half 4 weeks before Paris. Going to use it as a speed session - hoping for a 1:45.

Good on you HY4! Go well!

J
  • Options
    JAGGY J:

Yes that sounds fine, probably best to use it as your last really long run, then start to ease back on the mileage the week after, maybe, the following weekend your long run being 10-12miles, and then begin tapering. Good target though 1:45!

HY4:
    Thats over half the run completed before the walk break, good progress!
  • Options
    Micksta - sorry to hijack your thread but I'm after news of the Les Golding 10k.
    I think that your club runs it but the website isn't updating.
    Do you know or could you find out if it is being run this year and if so when?
    Cheers!
  • Options
    Hi Micksta,

You have mail.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Martian Dashes:
    Yes to my knowledge its taking place this June, I will try and find out what date and then post it on this thread.
  • Options
    Micksta

I hope you are well - just a quicky on the lead up to Paris. The race is on April 9 my plan was to do the following:

This weekend 20 miles
    25/2 21 miles
    4/3 22 miles
    12/3 Half Marathon
    19/3 22 miles
    26/3 13 miles
    2/4 10 miles
    9/4 Marathon

I was going to continue with the mix of stuff you already gave me during the week. Should I reduce the 22 miles after the half marathon or would you delay the half marathon untile 26/3 and do a longer one on the 12/3. I hope that this makes sense!
  • Options
    Thank you Micksta.
  • Options
    Martian Dashes:

I spoke with the race director of the Les Golding 10k at my club last night.

Yes, the race is taking place and the date is June 11th.

He will shortly be posting information in Runners world but needs to sort a few things out first.

• Options
    JAGGY J:

Yep, think Ive just about understood all that! :)

I always go by needing a 3-week taper before undertaking a marathon, as the mileage does take its toll.

My advice would be, if possible and you can do this, to race the Half Marathon on the 26/3. You can use this as your last race before the marathon, and run at goal marathon pace or just above.

Up until the 26th, keep doing the longer 20+ Mile runs.
    Then after the 26th, begin your taper, the 10miles on 2/4, is fine also, but no more than 10.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Much appreciated Micksta!
  • Options
    Micksta - Thanks I'll do the Forthside Half Marathon on 26/3 and drop the other half I had planned. I did a long one on Friday and will do my next on Saturday next week. Grateful for the advice!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Got round my 10K okay did it in 84:02 and had 3 walk breaks (2 min each time).

Actually managed to run with Chris, however as he only did one run before hand he did really struggle and I had to slow down at times so I think I could have possibly done it in 80-82 min.

He did say that if I wasn't for me keeping him going he would have dropped out as his ankled locked up a bit.

I think this run will bodes well for the year as I've only done one run of any length (last Monday's 5k). The others were .88 and 2 runs which were 1.8 miles.

So I'm feeling pretty chuffed at the moment.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Micksta,

Have you got any tips on post race recovery for Chris? He can hardly walk at the moment. He was feeling tired so had a snozze but is just really stiff at the mo!
  • Options
    HY4:
    Big well done on your 10k, this will be a good boost for you and very motivating :)

Best thing for chris to do, is to get lots of fluids inside him (ensure his urining is clear) and try and keep moving around as this will keep his muscles loose.

Sometimes a very very slow jog the day after a race will be a good thing as this helps to flush the rubbish from your muscles built up during the race.

More than likely Chris will be fine within the next few days.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Micksta.

I did try and make sure he drank a fair bit of water. However he wouldn't budge too much. Apart from a little walk to the supermarket (about 400 m)!

His aches are feeling easier now.

What kind of times do you think I should aim for with the next races (10k 30 April and 4.5 miles 25 June)?

For the 10k I was thinking about 65-70 min if my training goes reasonably well (and the weather while I'm training isn't too bad) or 60-65 min if I can get all the planned runs in and for the 4.5 miles perhaps somewhere between 40-45 min.

• Options
    HY4:
    Oh well I guess a 400m can be counted as a recovery session as sorts! :)

The 10k in April, I would aim for 70mins! not that I dont think your go faster, more than likely 60-65mins will be achievable, but my reason being steady improvement over a number of races, will give you more motivation and encouragement than if say you took a massive chunk off your best and then find your struggling to knock much else off. Also, aiming at 70mins is less pressure for you, if you go faster then thats a big bonus! :)

Around 45mins for the 4.5miles sounds about right, that will be a good target to aim for.

Training quality should increase pretty soon anyway, as the weather will warm up in March and your have more flexibility as to when you can train.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Micksta!

I'll keep you updated on my progress.
  • Options
    HY4 - Good on you - well done - you must be chuffed. I've found Micksta very helpful and am getting results from the program he set out for me. Did just under 11k in 51 minutes tonight and definitely had something left in the tank!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

He's helped me sort out this year's plan and also set a target for my 5k in September. With this race I think I would have set too higher target.

At the moment I've decided to take things one step at a time and instead of having one big plan I've split it up into 3.
  • Options
    I need some advice on marathon training. I have my place in FLM but due to a niggling knee injury have yet to start training. My last run of 10 miles was on 15th January and each time i have tried since then I have broken down. I have been seeing a physio and following his stretches and strengthening advice. I aim to be running by 1st March. Assuming I am running by then, how do I go about increasing my mileage to be able to get round FLM. I haven't done a marathon before and my longest run of 18 miles was in November. Prior to my injury I was running about 30 miles a week on average. If I'm not running by 1st March then I have decided to leave it this year and defer until next. If I am running by 1st March I would like to try to make it. Is it possible or is it pushing it a bit much?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Gary
  • Options
    Gary,
    March 1st gives you around 6-7 weeks training by my calculations, some of that you would need a taper, so say 5-weeks training.

With this being your first marathon and also having an injury, my best advice would be to give it a miss this year, and aim either for an autumn marathon or London next year.

You would need to increase your training very rapidly from now to London, something like a Mileage increase of 25% per week and im worried this could cause your injury to flair up again.

Still this is only my view and you may have spoken to someone who feels you may still be able to make the start.

Good luck with the training, hope the injury clears and your back on the roads by March 1st.

Michael
  • Options
    Cheers for taking the time to reply. I'm trying to get as many opinions from as many people as possible, and will then be in a position to make an informed decision on 1st March. My knee feels strong enough now to go for a run, but I decided I'd wait until next week to give it as much time as possible to heal. I agree that it doesn't leave much time to build my mileage, and that is what I am concerned about but I'd hate to miss out if it is at all possible to be there.

Gary