Options

The Pantman Resurrection Thread

Comments

• Options
    PANTMAN:
    Still sounds like your low on Glucogen!
    IF your struggling to get HR to 80% means maybe there is no fuel in the tank to get you working that hard in the first place, maybe?

Yesterday for me was better using this as an example for you. I spent sunday eating chocolate and had a massive bowl of spaghetti, plus on a single run of 6-miles. Felt awful as I told you at the time.

Ran on Monday morning, flew around my route 2-mins quicker than I could manage a few days before, able to work hard and get my HR high, then again in the afternoon still able to work hard enough to get HR up, this morning went out for a steady and could not get HR raised for the life of hell, legs just would not move fast enough, probably low on fuel due to yesterdays double work session plus gym, thing is, maybe its the same for you, that said if your running 6:15mm on empty tanks then thats impressive stuff my friend! :)
  • Options
    It was glycogen before, Micksta, but definitely not now. I'm not losing any weight currently and am taking great care over fuelling. Just remember that:
    a) I only got under 8mm pace for the first time a few weeks ago.
    b) I have not run sub 6:30 pace since last September.
    c) I can only adapt so much in a short space of time.
    It'll come in time, so I'm not overly worried, I just was hoping to race these early races - may be a "no go" now.
  • Options
    Jordo.
    It does not normally fill up and usually has entries on the day
  • Options
    Cheers TB. Will see how I feel after my hols I think.

Pants – Not running Sunday as I am also racing on Monday (Ted Pepper 10k). It will be a while before I am ready for 23 miles and I would also have transport probs.
  • Options
    Week #8 complete!

Mileage = same as last week = 152M
    Weight = same as last week = 11:9

1st week of zero weight loss. That said, I am now eating again - I'm well loaded with glycogen and have food in my tummy again! :)
    I am fairly sure I have lost some fat this week (couple of pounds probably), so I'm cool with the weight. Must shed some pounds this week coming though.

The pace has picked up again and the HR has been too low still, but I am moving forward. To be honest I have no idea whether I'm going to do this 10M on Monday or not. Will have another crack at the "work session" on Friday and see how it goes. If I can get HR higher and legs feel OK, I may try. Jen and the kids will definitely be there and be racing - they are all going well currently.

So, plan for this week coming:
    Mileage - dunno. May be 150 again, may do less, depends if I race or not.
    Weight - would dearly love to lose 3lb, but I'll settle for 2lb.
    Pace/HR - want to hold 140bpm (82%MHR) for 2 (or, better still, 3) 5K loops. Regardless of what pace that is, if I can do it in reasonable comfort, I'll race on Monday.

Hope you guys are all enjoying your running too! :)
  • Options
    Pants - why will you not do it? Once thing I have learned over the last few months is that racing is fun. Ok I may be nowhere near to my ambitions or previous form and always come away a bit dissapointed but I am still much much happier than if I did not.

Go on give it a go?
  • Options
    PANTMAN:
    The race on Monday is pretty low key so if you still cannot get the HR high on friday, then why not still run it as a tempo or LT type run?

Strange thing happened to me today, started run with no energy not surprising after last nights lactic burn up at the track, about 10-mins into run, had like a rush of energy to my legs and suddenly could push the pace and work the HR! Guessing it was the body getting more reserves from the liver and converting into energy which I did not have stored in my muscles at the start of the session.

• Options
    Pants - personally I think your problem is just down to fatigue. If I do a hard run on tired legs I can't keep the HR up. Might be an idea to ease off over the weekend and see if that makes a difference in the race on Monday.
  • Options
    Gumps - I might. It's just that the idea of "racing" and being 10bpm or so below Marathon HR for a 10M just seems a waste of time. Also slightly concerned that by pushing HR up ASAP under pressure of a "low key" race may result in injury. Pushing the pace is always the danger re. injury.

Micksta - I would guess it is the other way round. You had the glycogen in the muscles not the liver - hence feeling tired beforehand (muscle glycogen not as readily available when inactive) and then as teh muscles get activated their glycogen becomes available for use.

Jordo - You may well be right, but "might be an idea to ease off over the weekend"? ROFLMAO! If I do the race at all it'll be 'cos, as Gumps said, it is low key and doesn't matter much, so I'm hardly going to taper for it. I'll cut the 23M down to 17M on Sun am, but that's my only concession. I'll come to race day with 150+M in my legs from the previous 7 days. If that makes me slower, so be it. I need to continue adapting to this high mileage to really benefit from it.

Tried a new route today and took a wrong turn and got a little lost. Oops! Ended up doing a 20.5M just under 8mm pace. Nice'n'easy - very strong at end. Is that the kinda easing back you mean, Jordo... ;-)
  • Options
    Pantman,
    I very impressed with the weekly mileage you've been putting in. I wonder does your training just involve running or do you find time to fit in core strength exercises and stretching routines to your schedule?

Has upping the mileage you've been doing so quickly resulted in any loss of flexiability?

• Options
    I did some regular weight training last year and found that aided flexibility/mobility too. I desperately need to do some now too, but time is short...

So at the moment it really is just running. Flexibility is not great and I'm going to be a little tight here and there on this mileage, but I am adapting well. Had no need to use ice yet - not even as a precaution. I'm a firm believer that easy miles are the best aid to recovery.
  • Options
    Yep, you're right, not a good time to lose focus on your main objective.

Another way to look at it then...... if you have a rest day (do you know what that is?) or a very easy day, try it the day after and see if its any better.
  • Options
    A rest day? LOL. Sure I know what that is! That's when after the 15M main run you only do a 5M double and not the 7M! ;-)
  • Options
    More serious comment on the subject of rest days:
    I'd never take a day off the day after a race - that would be a recipe for stiff legs. Easy running encourages blood flow which brings healing and recovery to the legs. When your body is used to high mileage and doubles it is much better for recovery to run easy than not at all.
    Last year I used 5M + 5M as the equivalent to a "day off" with great success.
  • Options
    PANTMAN:
    I sometimes do a very easy 5-mile run the afternoon after races now, more so during the xc season, and yes did find doing this a benefit, especially for the next days block of training. I think most elite runners do this anyway as matter of course.

Are you still running all those miles in NB150s or have you started wearing sensible training shoes? :)

• Options
    Pantman: I presume you are doing an Autumn marathon, which one ane what time are you hoping for?
    If it is not a marathon which event are you training for?
  • Options
    500!

Micksta - I do wear sensible training shoes! Sensible inasmuch as they allow my feet and legs to be strong and encourage good technique. NB150s, Nike MaxCats and Puma H-Streets.
    Are you still being conned with masses into wearing injury inducing, high heeled, heavy boots? ;-)

Shuman - At the moment I just want to get back to where I was at the end of June last year. If I can do it, or close to it, by end of June this year, then at least I can give a good account of myself at the ND30K. But I suspect I may be a little too late. Once that is out the way, if I can keep momentum going, then "yes" I'll try for an autumn marathon. If so I'd like to be looking around 2:30, I guess. But it so early on still - I have a very, very long way to go...
  • Options
    PANTMAN:

LOL@Heavyboots!!!

I pretty much stick too ASICS products at the moment, so use the DS Trainer for faster sessions, and the GT2100 for easier and long runs.

DS Racers for unimportant 10Ks and longer races and the NB150s for target 10Ks and shorter distances! pretty sensible choice me thinks and have not had any injuries from wearing them YET!
  • Options
    Did another work session today - no huge leaps forward, but it was easier to hold the HR (albeit still low) and my legs felt stronger (despite being totally wasted yesterday).

Still undecided on whether to bother racing on Monday - it'll be a very, very low HR for racing if I do - but I'll probably give it a try. Won't make a final decision till Sun ev.
  • Options
    Progress is progress.

Anyone ever run the ted pepper 10k?
  • Options
    Nope - but I'm fairly sure Micksat has
  • Options
    PANTMAN & JORDO:

No, Ive never actually run the Ted Pepper 10k. Think its pretty quick though I remember Andrew Green breaking 34mins for the first time there a few seasons ago.

• Options
    Cool. 10k pb is rubbish and the form is returning, so maybe just maybe....
  • Options
    Jordo:
    Go on, go for it, you know you wanna! ;)

• Options
    LOL - Nice to see you, JJ! No sign of you after, sadly.

Race went well. I took the plunge the last couple of days, just one shorter easy run to recover, and ran around 6mm pace on a not very fast course.

First 5M loop was 29:30 - got HR up pretty well - high 140s most of the way. After 3.5M there was a 180 degree turn round a cone and I saw that all the guys ahead and close behind were in the 5M race and I was well clear in the 10M race. So I kind of eased back from there. Just went down 5bpm or so and did the kind of effort I would for a work session - by easing below AeT I would be training to raise it rather than running above it which lowers it (but raises AnT).

So I pretty much cruised the second half. Very pleased with 60:39 and 1st place for my efforts. Most of all I'm pleased that I felt comfortable at that pace.

I'm still almost a stone over my weight at ND30K last year, so I'm pretty pleased with that time and effort on that course. Can't complain.

Chloe won the girls race (4km) for the second year running; Timmy was 7th in the boys race (a big improvement on last year and great against boys up to 5+yrs older); and Mrs Pants got another 10M PB (by 2min or so) just a couple of weeks after setting the old one. So a great day all round for this family! :)
  • Options
    Well done mate and a big well done to all the family.
  • Options
    Well done to Pants and family
    All on track so far
    :))