Options

The Pantman Resurrection Thread

Comments

• Options
    PANTMAN:
    Not bad going for a training plod, 60mins and a 1st place ;p
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Pantman - sounds like you are starting a running dynasty there. Well done the lot of you!
  • Options
    Great run Pants...welll done...training is aobviously going well..

d
  • Options
    and rest of family also...
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pantman you are doing great, running and dieting coming good again. Well done.
  • Options
    Pants, nice work for a fellow fat lad.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    well done Pants ya fat porker.........

good to see you back on song - just don't let it slip again............

[fb stares at his own ever expanding waistline......]
  • Options
    FB - Don't you let it slip either! You were doing great after IM last year.
  • Options
    Thanks all for the support and kind words - all fuel for the motivational fire!

Well, now I'm at the end of week #9 and month #2. Summary...

Week #9 -
    Weight loss = 2lb (11:9-11:7)
    Mileage = 119
    Lower mileage due to two easy days (9.5M and 5M - single runs only) before the race (no double that day either). Nice to have a bit of freshness in the legs for a day! Did 20M the next morning though...

Month #2 -
    Weight loss = 12lb (12:7-11:9)
    Mileage = 615

Basically this month has seen some further weight loss and some great increase in pace. End of last month everything was still 8mm+ pace - then after exactly two months I ran 6mm pace for 10M.

This marks the half way point from restarting to ND30K. At first I thought I'd never make the start line, now the goal is simple - to get to the start line in the same shape as last year. I hear the field may be stronger this year and I can do nothing about anyone else, so position is unimportant - I just want to give myself another chance to progress from where I was last year.

The goals for the coming week/month:

Week #10 - lose another 2-3lb (11:7-11:4 or 5); 140+M; 1st track session!

Month #3 - The end of this month is marked by my next race - Hatfield Broad Oak 10K (May 29th) - 4 weeks after the last one. With that in mind the goals for the month (in order of priority):
    1) Get speed back! Last year I ran 33:20 (5:20 pace) at HBO10K. I plan to do my faster sessions on the track from next week and start to adapt to faster running again. Once HBO10K (and Harvel 5 just 5 days later) is out the way, I'll then be able to crack on with MP work prior to the longer ND30K. But for the next 4 weeks I'm going to try to get myself back down as close to 5:20 pace over 10K as I can.
    2) Lose more weight - this is the tricky bit now - getting rid of fat when doing speed work - keeping the miles up to burn more cals while staying fresh for speed. A real balancing act. Ideally I want to get back under 11st by race day. 2lb a week will do the job.
    3) Keep mileage high - I'm a high mileage guy with lofty long term goals in the marathon. Mileage makes the difference not when done for a few weeks (or even months), but on and on and on. I'm not putting so much weight on this 10K that I'm going to lose long term focus.
    4) Weight training - Last year strength work really help me protect myself from speed work. Need to make the time to do it again.

So this month may be the toughest ask yet. Balancing miles and freshness; weight loss and fuelling; speed and injury prevention. Speed has always been my downfall - I'm not naturally fast and injuries are always speed related. I'll be damn pleased if I can pursue these goals injury free and race well at the end of it.
  • Options
    Question,

How many pairs of trainers are you going through a month?

Well done mate, its astonishing progress and dedication.

LM
  • Options
    LM - No new pairs used since restart. 1100M or so. Wearing minimalist shoes with no cushioning/support not only REDUCES the risk of injury, it also makes the "new pair every 400M" rule a nonsense.

Currently have two pairs of NB150s on the go (£25 each); a pair of Nike MaxCats for the occasional off-road foray (£25) and Puma H-Streets for most doubles (£20). Cheaper too!

When I wear through the toe on my 150s I get them resoled (£5.50) and start again!
  • Options
    Sorry to be a pain,

Is the minimalist shoe applicable to 16 stoners?...although not quite Hurley in Lost. Its kinda against what I've read before. Don't need oodles of science, but I'd be interested in a small summary of why that is...again, its the first time I've heard it.

Why the Pumas for doubles and the NB150s otherwise?

I'd imagine with the mileage you are doing there's no way a mortal could afford Gucci trainees every week :-D
  • Options
    LM -
    Remember when I jumped back into this on March 1st I started at 14.5st with a 100M week. Same shoes.

To make the inital changeover will be harder for sure, but still doable. In fact, it makes MORE sense because you have greater impact issues the heavier you are.

Posted some more info here as an intro: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=&UTN=81410&last=1&V=6&SP=

The reason for Pumas on doubles only is that, despite the 150s being the lightest racers NB made (now discontinued - only heavier more supported, more cusihoned and higher from ground racers sold now), the H-Streets are infact significantly less supported. I'm still adjusting to them - shorter slower runs make sense for now.
  • Options
    Pants...that's a very ambitious set of goals..good luck..

a few questions...if you don't mind..

As you might know, I have been following Hadd type schedule for around 6 months now (with 6 week break due to injury)..and have seen pace improve at all HRs:

sub 135 from just over 10m/m to around 8.50 m/m
    145-150 from just over 9 min/mile to just under 8 min/mile

recently added (on the advice of BR) a 150-155 run which is getting towards 7.30 m/m pace

All of the above paces include 1st mile uphill and warm up.

I will be starting P&D late June but before then would like to get 10k down from 43.45 set last Sept to under 40 mins.

Ran HM last Sunday and reduced my PB from 1.35.15 to 1.31.38 so I am sure that 10k time has already improved.

So question is, over the next two months, what is the most effective way to reduce 10k time. Should I continue with the Hadd schedule mentioned above or should I include some interval/speed work? I did a little prior to paris (4x1200m @ 6.30 pace) and at the very least, it didn't do any harm.

Also, re shoes...do you really recommend using racing flats for all training...even for someone my weight (currently 13st and dropping)? I have ordered a pair of DS racers for errrrr.....racing ;-) Should I try them for training runs.

I am in the process of building mileage back up after Paris (should be around 50m this week) and the aim is to stay above 60mpw until the start of P&D.
  • Options
    Sorry Pants...published shoe question before your response above..
  • Options
    Pantman - sorry to barge into this thread. You are doing brilliantly well and I hope you keep going from strength to strength.
    I am trying to get my head around this shoe thing. I am training for a marathon and if I change to flat shoes will I limit my chances of getting the mileage up or will I need a different type of shoe for the long distance runs?
    I suffer with lower back problems from time to time and I am worried about the impact from the lack of cushioning. I am very interested in giving this a try.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Pants, I'm following your thread, and it's quite obviously you're making a concerted effort to reverse the damage you have inflicted on yourself during the the period Aug 2005 - Feb 2006. Without refering to the circumstances which have lead to your loss of fitness, it is right and proper that I respect the efforts you are currently making....and I do.

However, I hope you don't mind me asking, but why do you feel the need to to parade your ressurection in front of the forum. There are many forumites who suffer similar setbacks to their training - often self inflicted, who choose to battle their own personal demons away from the attention of the forum.
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Tom - that's one of the things the forum is for, isn't it? So we don't have to deal with problems and setbacks alone?

Dropping into this thread now and again, I am always amazed how well Pantman is doing. I find his progress very cheering amid so many forum tales of woe and I bet others are encouraged by his example too.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Tom, the key point in your post is that people have a choice. Pants is exercising his, isn't he? As is everyone else here who chooses to participate in the thread, which - as is always the case here - is not ALL about Pants. There are lots of people here exchanging views and helping each other.
  • Options
    Dead right, I've got loads from this thread, so cheers pants!
  • Options
    Tom You don't have to read the thread if you don't want to.

David Fagan The key thing with minimalist shoes is to get your running technique right. Fundamentally, so long as your footstrike is on the ball of the foot underneath your hips you can run in as little as you like (even barefoot >8o>).

Pants I know that many people have said this already, but you're an inspiration. Keep it up mate 8o)
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Tom - there's also a very important point to make about Pants (although I'm sure he may not want it mentioned)

"reverse the damage you have inflicted on yourself during the the period Aug 2005 - Feb 2006."

this was a relapse

many of us had seen this guy join the forum as an 18stone porker - 5 kids and a lardy lifestyle contributing to the weight blossoming........

through superb efforts on diet and training he got back into shape and started knocking out times many of us can only dream about and all with a smile and juggling a hectic family life...........

his relapse was unexpected but he's back on track now and gunning at a 2:20 marathon......

he's an inspiration for many on this forum and I know he gets a lot from us in return.........

• Options
    Yeah, I've found this thread useful too!
  • Options
    I've just read back through these posts and, in my opinion, the best support that I can give you Pantman would be to say that I think you should address your obsessive compulsive tendencies.

You veer from manic weight loss and mega-mileages to fat slob who doesn't train. I seem to remember a couple of posts on your now defunct blogsite where you were obsessing about your heart rate every hour or so, at one point. The fact that you deleted that site says it all really.

You asked for support, so, I'd start with your eating habits. What's wrong with eating wholesome, healthy food, rather than fast food or weird concoctions? Why not take your time to establish good eating and training habits? You're on the same binge-diet loop that causes long-term obesity. Get off it!

To address Tom's point, I guess this thread is part of your attention-seeking compulsion whereby you announce to the world that (with, frankly, little evidence to support it) you're going to make a big splash with your marathon debut. Come off it, mate, you're not Evans Rutto!

I think that, long term, you'd do yourself more good by moderating the extreme eating and running attention-seeking behaviours and just knuckling down to some healthy eating and training for a while, away from the pressure you're putting on yourself by posting your "progress" to the world on this thread.

My opinion, honestly expressed. No more, no less.
  • Options
    I have bucket loads of respect for you PANTMAN after knowing what training you have gone through the past few months, and what you had become after last year.

We may have a huge difference in the way we train and beliefs in running etc, but I do honestly think your day in the marathon will come.

Ive done a Marathon so know what its like and probably it was my own DOWNFALL throughout later part of 2004 and certainly all of last season, but to come on here daily and see your progress and read the posts is very motivating.

And I sit here rubbing my hands in anticipation for the day we both line up on the elite start at the FLM and have a good old battle over the 26.1miles :)

• Options
    Karl CorpezKarl Corpez ✭✭✭
    Micksta - What about the last 0.1 mile?:)
  • Options
    That's when Micksta's speed work kicks in and he accelerates away - battle over.
    ;-)
  • Options
    Oh, great! The psycho-analysers are back! What fun! NOT!

These forums are great for support and I felt I some needed support to get started up again. Now that I'm back into it, this thread is far more to do with giving than recieving as most people here and the many e-mails I regularly get testify to.

Plenty of people want this thread, learn from it and benefit from it. If you can't understand me, or don't like me, then, to be frank, bog off. But, please, no more negativity, psycho-analysing people you don't know and the like.

What I just don't get is why such people feel the need to keep up with this thread and comment. Compulsive? Pot/kettle?

Enough. Back to training and the like, please...
  • Options
    Nice one Pantman just for the record I've been really enjoying the thread and long may it continue :)