Options

Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    You can always swim across, Alex
  • Options
    Caledonian - sorry to hear you are having to pull out.

Enjoying this cooler weather and running better as well. However as I have never pushed myself out of my comfort zone I am finding the speed sessions on the schedule hard. This week I was meant to do 4 x 800m with 200m jog recoveries. I managed to run fast for only about 400m before I had to slow it down, recover and pick it up again. Should I just do what I can manage and increase it a bit each week? Hopefully as I do more it will get easier but it is hard just now.

I need to work on the speed having seen the times the rest of you are planning on doing but at least you will have the drinks ready for me when I get to the bar!
  • Options
    Come on lofters - try the speed stuff. I am by no means a fast runner but I am actually kind of enjoying the fact that I am getting through the speed stuff. I did the 4*800m this week with 2 min recoveries - just slow the pace a wee bit not full on.

My Boston mate has pulled out of running so I am running alone now I guess - still determined to do it though....

Zed
  • Options
    Lofters - i know what you mean it can be tough...i've been doing my speed work on the treadmill and i find that much more effective. I've heard the idea is your first set should be the same speed as your last set rather than gradual increase/decrease in performance. I did that 4x800m run on tuesday and did 3:25 for each 800 - so quite quick but not so i can't keep it going for the 4. The warm up/warm down is crucial too otherwise you'll risk injury...
  • Options
    aaahh.. Now you guy's seem dangerously close to dabbling with Yassoo's. They're good but the recovery is a bit too long (IMHO).

Key is to finish each rep in the same time. The build is in the number of reps. Later on you may want to increase the distance of the rep - but reduce number so that the summed distance at speed is the same.
  • Options
    Okay Zed and John, will try and enjoy the speed stuff. Will let you know how I get on next Tuesday. Have a 10k race this Sunday, hopefully it will be nice and cool.

Have a good weekend all.

• Options
    Jims Training notes for Friday.

Body Pump in the morning + run in the evening = legs that don't operate properly the next day.

Training HURTS!

that is all....

jim

(ps: hope all your training is going well. Sorry to hear you have to pull out Caledonian. Training hurts, but pulling out is far worse. Sorry to hear the bad news)
  • Options
    Lofters - you doing the Regent's Park 10K sunday?
  • Options
    John - No doing the Scottish Gas 10k in Edinburgh?
  • Options
    Lofters - I am doing the scottish gas 10k in edinburgh tomorrow. 1 mile to the start from my flat and then 1 mile afterwards says the training schedule and the training schedule must be obeyed!

Zed

• Options
    Zed - Pity my flat is more than a mile a way! Will do mile warm up and mile cool down. Looking forward to it, sounds a good flat course. Will report back here tomorrow.

Lofters
  • Options
    Wow - I've missed out on a LOT! its a pain when work's busy! I signed up in January and the training's going well.
    Shopping Malls - check out GURNEE MILLS - its a bit of a drive but its all outlets (got a great pair of Nine West boots there last year for £60!)
    Nigel - you'll see Stragglers support there as six of us going! make sure you wear your club vest and you'll get a good shout!
    Emma
  • Options
    PS - anyone know where I can get Gatorade in the UK? I'm a bit of a stickler for the 'train-with-what-you-get-on-the-day' school of hydration!
  • Options
    Lofters - finished the Scottish Gas 10k in 54 mins. Got a stitch which didn't help. Was it breezy down Cramond or wot? Waiting for my water at the end not good but other than that.... managed the 2 miles extra warm up/down fine too...

E:-) try americansoda.co.uk although not sure they have the exact one we get on race day.
    Oh and shopping at Auburn a drive away is for me if I can walk on monday/tuesday!
  • Options
    Zed - Well done. Breezy and humid yesterday, surprised no water on the course and long wait at end. Finished in 51mins a pb so quite pleased but felt wiped out!

John- How was the London 10K?
  • Options
    Don't ask...it got changed to the Saturday and to 5 miles...so i'm now going to pound out a quick 10K on the treadmill...going to try and set a PB to make up for not having it yesterday!!
  • Options
    Lofters - well done on the pb. I had hoped for 52-53 mins but hey ho still under 55 mins. I did think there should have been water at mid point though..

Are you doing the Glasgow Half in 3 weeks then? Other races I'm doing is Loch Ness 10k although considering the marathon but only running 20 miles then hoping on the bus! And the Dava Way 16mile mid Sept.

5 miles tomorrow now...
    Zed

• Options
    Good to see some more Londoners on this forum welcome Emma and the crew from Stragglers
  • Options
    Everyone seems very disciplined with their training. I'm not very good at following marathon schedules - I sort of make it up as I go along but have been managing to run 3/4 times a week lately, despite being away. I also hate speed training, but force myself to go along to weekly club sessions (haven't been for a few weeks though). I've got a 10k race this weekend and then the Burnham Beeches half on 20 August. My main success is that I'm not injured (yet)
  • Options
    Zed - yes I am doing the Glasgow half, this weekend I have the Haddington half but plan to take that at a steady pace. No other races planned will have a look at Scottish athletics website.
    Good run this morning, I can cope with fartlek!

Andrea - So glad to hear of someone else who doesn't enjoy speed training.

Everyone - heard exchange rate soon going to be £1 = $2 , big shopping time in Chicago!
  • Options
    Great news about the exchange rate - means that the hotel will be cheaper too. Lofters - the thing about speed training is that I dread it all day when I know I'm going to a session that evening, feel terrible while I'm doing it, but then great afterwards and I know that it's good for me. Doesn't stop the fear the following week though.
  • Options
    Dollar will bounce back in the next few weeks i've heard so best thing to do is change some as soon as possible. Anyone else doing the 4M (40 mins) fartlek training today? I prefer more guidance on it...but thinking 1M steady, .5 mile recover, 1M steady .5 mile recover, 1 mile steady...any other suggestions?
  • Options
    John,
    I did 5 miles today with 3 mile fartlek which was running a block fast and then a recovery block. Then the bus stops were conveniently a bit closer together so did that...until I ran into the park where no buses could be caught...

Exchange rate welcome news for the shoppers...

Zed
  • Options
    Hi Andrea I am also planning on doing the Burnham Beeches half on 20 August, using it as a marathon pace run.
  • Options
    The 4 mile fartlek (with a mile warm up/down) felt really good today - definitely enjoying the speed training more than when i've tried it for previous 2 marathons... Anyone else running the Kent Costal Half marathon at the beginning of September? meant to be hilly...
  • Options
    Hi guys

I suitably made sure my two weeks of training before my holiday to Greece went out the window, so feels like I'm starting from scratch again.

I've chucked the training schedule out of the window and have adopted the following:

Mon, Tue, Wed, Thurs: run to or from work everyday, so that's 6.3 miles. Vary the pace from tempo (c.43 mins) to slower stuff (up to 50 mins).

I'm taking Fridays off

Saturday - 5k race am (Bushy Park time trial) or track speed work (Fartleks/Yassos)
    Sunday - long slow run

Do the experienced ones on here reckon that'll be alright?? It'll leave me 40 to 50 mpw I reckon
  • Options
    Also, do any Southern based peeps know of any decent half marathons in the run up to Chicago? Couldn't see any on the events section. Quite fancied Burnham Beeches next weekend but I'm not available :-(
  • Options
    I noticed that southern Half marathons in the run up to Chicago were few and far between.

Did Burnham Beeches 2 years ago in the run up to New York. It's tough, but a nice tough..if that's possible.. A great training half I reckon.

Training update from over here!...I felt my first abdominal muscle poking through my midsection the other day. Of course...it may just be wind......

I'll keep you updated as this story progresses.....
  • Options
    AARTTF check out the Kent Costal Half Marathon in Margate on 3rd September - i'm running that one - apart from that haven't see any good ones down in this region...
  • Options
    Thanks John

Funnily enough I signed up for that one yesterday with my mate who's doing Chicago with me.

I play a bit of golf down that way and have run the coat paths between Ramsgate and Broadstairs a bit - very scenic. Pretty hilly and windy though - don't reckon it's PB territory