Options

Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    Ooooh blimey - I thought I was doing OK aiming for Sub-4.30 (having done London in 4.48 this year, but lost weight & fitter since then) and now I see that 4hour people refer to themselves as SLOW. Well, you'll all just have to give me a big CHEER when I cross the line!
    I'm knackered today too - think I'll have to quit the Body Conditioning class as well as running on Thursdays 'til November.
  • Options
    Everybody gets a big cheer when they cross the line, E!!

The most enjoyable part of the NY marathon for me was cheering on the 4.30 / 5 hour finishers at the 26 mile mark
  • Options
    Same here TAFKA - my mate finished NY in 4.50 and I loved sitting in the sunshine watching them all running the last mile. After finishing London this year I also waited in the Mall for my dad, but in this instance he finished in 5.30 by which time I was soaked and shivering...
  • Options
    Oops - might have been me saying I was a slower runner at sub 4:15/4:30 hrs target time. I just meant slower than some of the sub 2:30hr people!!

We still finish and yes i agree it's good to cheer folks on and watch the finishers. Glad to hear chicago will be cheering us across the line!

Race for me Sunday the Glasgow Half Marathon at marathon pace so aiming for 2-2hrs 5mins. Happy long runs to you all...

Zed
  • Options
    Haven't run for 3 weeks (achilles tendonitis). I'm going to try a 20 minute run tomorrow. Fingers crossed the pain doesn't reappear!

Apparently the crowd support dwindles between miles 20 and 24 and there's a "hill" near the finish. Can anybody confirm this?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your achilles injury Champagne -it has to be one of the worst injuries around. I suffered badly for a number of months in 2003 and was recommended to undertake the concentric exercises explained at http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0031.htm

They're very hard at first but results were fairly rapid and I subsequently started training in NB1221's (now superseded by the 1222)which were recommended by a sports physio.

I can't imagine there being any hills in Chicago from a previous visit to the place but does anybody know differently?
  • Options
    I thought it was as flat as a pancake?!! (THAT'S WHY I'M DOING IT!!)
  • Options
    Isn't this where Paula broke a record because it's so flat? I'm so slow that talking about PBs is a bit depressing but still - I'm hoping here. A hill at the finish? That's not in the planning at all ..
  • Options
    Thanks Andy - I'll have a go at that. I run in the 1221's, but I think I overdid the hill running this summer. Anyway...you live and learn.

They mention the 'hill' at mile 26 on the US Runner's World forum here
    http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/493106038/m/348103288

but I should think it's just a short incline. It's good knowing it's going to be there though.
    Have a look at the 'Tips, strategies...' thread - I found there were a couple of things worth knowing.
  • Options
    Hi everyone - the "hill" you are referring to is a flyover over the main road just before the 26 mile point. I would only call it a hill relative to the rest of the course which is completely flat! The slope is less than 100m long and not steep, I think the change in altitude is something like 30 feet! Plus you then get the same size slope down the other side to propel you to the finish.

So basically don't worry about the hill at all - this is by far the flattest race I have ever done.

Not looking forward to the 22 miler I am meant to be doing on Sunday! Had a good tempo run yesterday though, so seems to be going OK still.
  • Options
    Good news! Thanks Padams.

Good luck with the long run. I can't wait to start doing mine again!!
  • Options
    Champagne - I assume you're being sarcastic that you can't wait to start doing long runs again...or maybe not, it's amazing how you can miss running when you can't do it for some reason, despite wondering why you are doing it when you can!

Just realised I didn't answer half of your question - the support does dwindle a bit between 20 and 24 miles, but there are still some people there, plus they have this New Balance final 5 thing (music and other entertainment in the last 5 miles)and if you're anything like me you will be counting down the miles to the finish by then. The support around the rest of the course is brilliant, especially when you come back near the start/finish at the halfway point.
  • Options
    Checked out the runnersworld.com thread. Interesting the cultural differences.....love them and that why I am running Chicago!

Looking forward to crazy American support on the course as was told they are a little mad.

Please let's not talk injuries folks...:->

Zed

• Options
    Phew! My only reasoning for doing this marathon was that it's ridiculously flat! A fly-over I can cope with.
    16miles for me tomorrow and my work colleague has a stinking cold so I'm trying to keep my distance but its hard.....
  • Options
    Looking forward to the race a lot now. Very encouraged by its flatness. The support in US races does seem to be good - it was when I ran in NY in 2002.

Re the slower pace, I just meant that I'll be slower than the sub-2.45ers as I'm aiming for 4 hours. The great thing about running is that you compete against yourself and do what you can on the day. Finishing a marathon is a major achievement that most of the population will never be able to experience - when I'm coming to the final miles of one, I always think that, whatever happens at that stage, I'll probably be able to finish, even if I have to walk.

Will try to run for 2.5 hours tomorrow. Have a good training weekend everyone.
  • Options
    Yey, 22 miles done this morning - no more runs over 20 miles until the race! Wasn't as bad as I was expecting actually, considering the conditions weren't brilliant.

Hope everyone else's long run went/goes well.
  • Options
    Guys and gals.
    did Chicago last year.Really fab event,fast flat,reasonably warm.Expo superb,packed tothe gills with star names.Got to meet Deena Kastor,Constatina deetu,John The Penguin Bigham,Legendary coach Hal Higdon,Former London winner Steve Jones,Khalid Khanouchi..the list goes on.Flew out thursday after finding hotel flight package on lastminute.com.Imagine my joy at realising the hotel was at the same venue as the expo!foundcould have done with more time to acclimatiseafter a tortueous journey though.The race support is awesome,loads of bands and cheering crews.the course is enjoyable giving a nice overview of the city..one of the highlites being the gay quater!wait and see!well worth getting the slighlty over priced dvd of the race,expensive but superbly done.Great medal,long sleeve t,loads of freebies,ice bags,cold beer,and massage at the end.Great buzz not unlike New York.well worth going to the post race bash at the pier(which is a bloody lond walk to the end!)loads free grub,bands and beer.The city really embraces the race,dont worry about the hill!its a gentle slope so close to home it barely matters.
    enjoy all and good luck.You wont be dissapointed
  • Options
    Thanks Saint Chris - good to hear. I did NYC last year, and this sounds very similar. The support there was mental - everybody was out and trying to prove that their borough was the best. The peeps in Brooklyn were awesome. I wore a Union Jack vest and the response and support that generated means I will be wearing it again at Chicago!!

I did the Kent Coastal half marathon yesterday, which was really enjoyable. The course is hands down the toughest half course I've seen. Big hills throughout and an evil wind off the sea. My PB is 1:23:47 and I was absolutely delighted to just break 1:30 - 1:29:41. In the first mile I told myself to forget a PB and hoped to some in sub-1:30. Came 18th out of 330.

Paul Adams - I'm a bit shocked to hear you've done all your 20m+ runs!! I've only done one (21m) so far. Arrggghhh!!!
  • Options
    Ugh - I had the crappiest of crap training runs yesterday - set out to do 16, ran out of drink at 10m, decided to carry on instead of the shortcut home and by the time I got home I was so dehydrated I was weaving about like a drunk and my hands were shaking... not good.
    Lesson learnt.
  • Options
    PB5 - I still have a couple of 20M runs to do, but no more over 20M. The schedule I have been following only has two runs over 20M in total, which is a bit surpirsing, but I guess the many 20 milers make up for it. Well done in your half - to break 1:30 in those conditions is good going and shows by your high position.

E - I know how you feel, it was really muggy yesterday and I sweated loads. My dad cycled with me so I didn't have to carry water, but then he got a puncture at around 14 miles. He caught up again 5 miles later, by which time I was struggling. As soon as I drank the water when he caught up I felt much better almost instantly.
  • Options
    ...I'm employing the parents this Sunday (hopefully)!
  • Options
    Saint Chris - oh that has got me really excited for Chicago. I was hoping it would be a big party. And the expo worth going to on the Friday too....

Did marathon pace half in 2hr 3mins in Glasgow drizzle yesterday. thinking of doing Aberfeldy this sunday and then the Dava 16 mile up north the weekend after. My 20 miler is in 4 weeks and the last and only one before the full 26.2

Speed session tomorrow at 6am so better get to bed...
    Zed
  • Options
    I had a day off today and just ate FIVE choc chip cookies.

Tomorrow morning's 6 miler might have to become 10 miles...
  • Options
    Athlete long letters etc...

I am eating loads just now - excuse being mileage will eat it up...

Garmin says 5704 calories burnt last week!!!

Cookies - at least 5!!!

Zed
  • Options
    After two weeks of very erractic training due to working long hours away from home, yesterday I ran 1hr 54mins in the Glasgow Half. I knocked nearly six minutes off my other times from this year and am just so pleased as I was about to pull out on Saturday as I was so tired.
    What a good feeling to finish and be pleased with your time, usually I think my times are pants.
    It has given my new confidence that if I keep training hard I can get below the dreaded four hour mark!
    Right bed now as early run in the morning.
    Karen
  • Options
    Saint Chris - that's so exciting about it being such a great marathon. Was worried that it wouldn't match up to NYC last year but think I'll be fine. Also VERY excited at the prospect of meeting running gods - sad but true.

Rest of you - sounds like everyone's on track at the moment? And 5 cookies? That's nothing .. really!

Training on Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 so only have 2 20 milers - next week and in 3 weeks - but applaud those who are doing more. Someone said earlier that everyone's achievement is pretty impressive, regardlesss of time. I'm also very impressed by the dedication to training here - that also sets you apart from most mortals. Keep up the good work and don't overdo it. Finally - Lofters - excellent work!
  • Options
    WEll Done Lofters! I need a morale-boosting long run. Did a steady 5 miler last night and survived rather well considering Sunday's atrocity.
    Getting excited though - Mum's got her dollars already while exchange rate is good!
  • Options
    Lofters - congrats on your time. It's funny that sometimes your best performances come at surprising times. When I did the Reading half last year (2 weeks before FLM) I had played 4 rounds of golf in the previous two days, had been drinking quite a lot and only got 3 hours sleep the night before. Somehow ran 1:23 - a two minute PB.

Diesel - if you have the discipline to follow a training plan I'm very jealous! Well done.

Just ran 6.5 miles into work and the legs are really hurting after Sunday's hilly half marathon. It made me wish that I had done a short recovery run yesterday. Oh well - I'll learn for next time
  • Options
    Thanks Diesel, E:) and PB5. Fingers crossed that the improvement will continue.

Legs complained a bit this morning but told them to get a grip and they came good.

Like you dieselgirl I was worried Chicago wouldn't match up to NYC but after Saint Chris's comments sounds as if it will - excellent.

• Options
    Talking of running well when not expecting it, my 10k PB was run the morning after a stag do which involved paintballing all day (lots of crouching, crawling etc), then a curry and beers in the evening! My legs felt terrible before the start.

Well done everyone who raced at the weekend, sounds like some good results all round. Really looking forward to it now, just not looking forward to the next few weeks of training!