Options

Anyone else REALLY scared??!!

Comments

• Options
    Tinkerbelle, I am doing a 20 mile race this sunday too and i am so nervous and beginning to become quite bad tempered to! But I have decided to take it really slow and steady and make sure I get round without feeling absolutely ghastly and wanting to cry at the end! Am sure we will feel great afterwards regardless of what time we do, its a huge achievemnet to do 20 miles - good luck, look forward to hearing how you got on!
  • Options
    Cure for shin splints - Dr Sarah Recomends a poultice made from good quality chocolate to be taken orally, this cures all minor and major aches and pains!
  • Options
    Tinkerbelle, the trouble with asking for advice is sometimes we don't like the answers but it does not make the advice wrong !!

if your even attempting 20 miles this weekend then that should be congratulated, RunnersWorld sub 3.30 have just reached this stage and that shows great enduruance built up already.

I would suggest (depending on your predicted finish time) taking it very slow with maybe a mid section at marathon pace. At least run 30/90 seconds per mile or even slower then your marahton pace

If you finsh it thats your success measure, time is relativly irrelevant (not what you want to hear)its time on your feet still and the endurance it gives you.
  • Options
    thanks guys (gals) i know i have to do this and you are quite right it is time on feet and endurance better stock up on the murray mints.
  • Options
    Well it's not 20 miles but I've just managed 2 on the treadmill. Really slow warm up, then tried a very slow "trot" which felt more comfortable than walking faster. OK, I was on there for 38 mins altogether but the piriformis didn't "burn" and the hip stayed quiet so there's hope for me yet! I've also managed to get hold of a CD with the FLM music on and wow does it give you a buzz when you hear it! Great to train to!
  • Options
    what is the FLM music??
  • Options
    hi everyone... doing the FLM for the first time too!!! Well hopefully, injured my calf muscle, been told to take 2 weeks off completely then start building up slowly again... really worried I won't make it!!! everything was going really well till a month ago when I first started getting the pain and i stupidly!! ran thru it and it resulted in this!!! was up to 12 miles, but really worried I'm not going to be able to build up the endurance!! any tips and support would be much appreciated!!
  • Options
    Woke this morning with a tight hamstring following a gentle 7 miler last night. This Sundays schedule states 15 miles so its fingers crossed that I doesn't get any worse.
    I also would be interested to know where the FLM music is available from
  • Options
    I'm guessing that people mean the tune that the BBC plays during its FLM coverage when they say the FLM music. If it is then it's called The Trap by Ron Goodwin. You can download it off iTunes for 79p!
  • Options
    Becca don't panic - I discovered a previously unknown muscle in my butt called the prirformis which has been causing me no end of trouble since mid January. I'm only just back training now and like yu have been extremely worried. Give your calf some rest, there are still 8 weeks to go! You won't lose the fitness you've built up overnight and building up slowly will pay off. The furthest I've managed so far is only 10 miles so you're well ahead of me!

Kev sure you're hamstring will be fine, a bit of rest and careful stretching should help.

I got my FLM music on CD from a website which turned out to be in Califonia! I dread to think what they've charged me for postage! Unfortunately I'm a computer thickko and don't know how to download things! When I tried to do something like that on my last computer it all went funny and a message came up saying Operating System missing so we ended up binning it! Never mind Windows for Dummies, I need an even simpler version for Tubsterrs!
  • Options
    Tubsterr et all

Any thoughts on Heat or Cold treatment for aching or lightly tweaked muscles ????
  • Options
    Hi becca, I,m in the same boat as you, reached 14 mile 3 weeks ago but haven,t been able to run as feet too sore. saw a fantastic osteopath today called James McEvoy (number in back of RW mag) who has fixed my feet(orthotics or something?!) so back to training slowly, so starting back at 6 miles tomorrow. So large glass of dry white and a family pack of revels for me tonight!

Kev go cold apparently, ice is best if you can bear it , frozen peas and cling film around leg to stop frost bite!
  • Options
    Hi all
    I've banned the kids this evening from the computer so that I can catch up with the the forum. I'm now sure that putting ourselves through all this pain must have its good side maybe the good looking physio massaging our pain away makes it all worth while. I had alot of knee pain and had to pull out of the LFM last year after getting around a 20 mile race so this year I'm being very careful (my knee cap was pressing on a muscle which was wrongly diagnosed as ITB syndrome). I ran for 2hrs 30 mins last Saturday around every piece of green grass I could find in Bournemouth including a golf course and a few football pitches. I reckoned on about 14 - 15 miles and afterwards not as much pain as the previous week running on mainly roads. I now reccommend off road running better for the Joints.
  • Options
    I was meant to do 6 miles last night but it was cold and snowing so wimped out and watched the figure skating instead! Oh well am going to do 15 tomorrow but that makes it another 3 run week which isn't ideal.
  • Options
    Hi Sarah

I don't think you should beat yourself up. Definately don't try and make up for it. I am attempting 14 tomorrow but was very sore after my 8 miler weds , i am going to test the water with an interval session today. Good luck with tomorrow's 15.
  • Options
    I won;t i ran mond and tuesday but wed night I was at the royal opera (I'm quite cultured for a scouser) and I won;t run tonight cos that will just tire me for tomorrows 15M. I have to do my long run tomorrow because i've got a hen do (starting with afternoon tea at the savoy - mmm) and wouldn;t be able to have a drink if I run on sunday. Life and work do get in the way of training -I just don;t know how those of you with kids manage it.
  • Options
    Hey guys, chill out! My first London Mara was a nitemare - did my knee in 3 wks before, swelled up like a balloon & couldn't even walk, let alone run on it. I was determined to run, after all that hard work. I did it - on lots of painkillers & strapping! I did it last year too - and then did Snowdonia Mara in October which was even better. I shan't do London again.

All I can say is relax, don't worry and don't get stressed about your training - you'll be so excited on the day you won't care! The crowd will get you round - honest!
  • Options
    margo good luck for sunday, my hubby is already fed up with me tossing and turning all night so must be sub consiously stressing.god help anyone who upsets me tomorrow at work.
  • Options
    Hi everyone. Well Cardiff Staggerer, Liz and myself have now ventured further than ever before - we managed 14.5 miles last night in the cold and wet. Had to do LSR last night because two of us are away this weekend. Aching and sore today but feeling good inside - 26.2 miles still seems a very long way though!
  • Options
    I hope everyone has a good and injury free weekend, look forward to all the updates on Monday.
    15 miles for me on Sunday but due to bad planning I have a 15 mile sponsored cross country walk on Saturday. I think I will be aching on Monday.
  • Options
    Kev why don't you cound the cross country walk as your 15 miler? Its the same distance and 30 in a weekend will be an absolute killer! Re hot or cold, just done a first aid course - RICE for injuries - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Paula Radcliffe gets into an iced bath when she's been training. A massage probably wouldn't do any harm either.

Taff Tigger and friends - fantastic effort with the 14.5 miler. Should we all do a bulk order of jelly babies for the 23rd??!!

Sarah - I wouldn't worry about doing 3 runs a week, especially as one of those is a long one! It's all I'm managing at the moment as I have to rest day of physio - no perks there unfortunately as mine is a woman - I'm not fit to be seen on a couch by anybody other than my hubby really - and even he gets scared by the prospect!!

Fingers crossed I can manage 9 miles on Sunday, piriformis has been remarkably quiet last couple of days - and with all the stretches I''m doing it's about 3 feet longer!

Safe, pain free training everyone! Tubs
  • Options
    Yes, wonderful run last night! we really enjoyed the bit where it was so cold and wet our tops stuck and froze to us; so dark that we couldn't see the huge sludgey puddles we were bounding through...lovely wet socks - really helping our friend's athletes foot!
    Nothing like a good fungal infection!
    Can barely walk today, my knees seem to be back to front.
    Hey , we'll laugh at all of these messages on 24th April - when we've finished our first marathon successfully - and we're scoffing the remains of the jelly babies!

Ever in hope...
  • Options
    I plan on trying chocolate buttons for my long run tommorow as I hate jelly babies do you think they will work as well?

Hats off to you doing 14M last night I could only manage to sit on the sofa and watch TV!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I've just planned out my 18 mile route for tomorrow around some lovely South Dorset hills - no doubt!

Liam, re my long runs -
    They are 18,20(race),18,19,20,21,11,5 miles then Marathon. all very slow - I'll never be a fast runner.

Good luck this weekend - no snow for us by the looks of it.
  • Options
    only problem is the buttons might melt! what about m&m's or something?? perhaps a sample session is needed...I'll just jog to the shop!
  • Options
    Have you tried Joosters or Dextrosol tablets? They do the trick for me and they don't melt (though they do make me a bit thirstier!!).
  • Options
    JulesD, if your aim is to finish the marathon with a smile then your LSR distances give you a more then great chance, i would not worry about times to much (unless you have an aim) the time out on the road will be enough. The hills whilst a killer now will also help on the big day (flat and fast around London).

15miles for me as well tommorow and after the speed work this week it will give me a good indication of where I am before preparing the march realy long runs
  • Options
    JulesD I am interested in how your long run has gone today because your long run schedule looked like mine until this morning. I started out on a planned 18 mile run until I met one of our club coaches, who advised me not to do any more than 8 miles because of the race next week. (Mad march Hare 20 Christchurch)
    Now I have been left wondering if I will make it around the 20 next week having only got up to what I thought was 15 miles last week but not sure as I was running by time not a set route.
  • Options
    Hi HW,

I did my 18 today, better than the 17 last week, although about the same time + the extra mile, and my friend did come out on her bike with me - helps a lot. Very tired and knees ache, but at least I can walk up the stairs better!

I am also doing the Mad March Hare Christchurch - not sure if I'll come in in the time limit, but I'm assured it's fairly flat and I did 7 hills today - Lytchett, Sturminster Marshall, Wimborne etc.

I think it depends how much you are used to long distances.My longest was 10 miles before I started training, abd that was the Great South Run twice. My club coach advised me to up my mileage by 2 miles per week to get to 18 this week (was meant to be 15), so I've got a chance of completing 20 next week.

Hope to see you there, will have a Poole AC vest on, think I'm number 93 or 94. Good luck.
  • Options
    P.S. HW you're faster than me - took 4:13 today