Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Red has a website, which I'll take a look at in a minute to see if she's put anything recdent on there. Also she's on Facebook but as I don't "do" Facebook I can't check on her that way.

50 miles in a week, - never done anything remotely like that! I think I was up to 30 miles a week for a time, when following Middle Son's training plan for the half marathon which got me my PB.

Been swimming, just 30 lengths; quite enjoyed it though wasn't really expecting to as I get bored with going up and down, up and down. 

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

No; nothing recent on Red's blog.

• Options

Aquarius: we've got one of 17 months and another of 8 months. Each of our 2 sons (with a little help from their partners of course!) has managed to produce a beautiful daughter. Which is more than we managed. (Better explain that we have no daughter, not an unbeautiful one!)

Another non-running day for me. I really don't know how folk like HS (not that there are many folk like HS!) can bang out these sort of mileages. I can 'manage' on very little. And I could no more swim 30 lengths than swim the channel.

• Options

Evening all,

Thanks everyone for your encouragement, I just enjoy churning out the miles, especially off road with lots of hills. I probably break all the rules for my age which are to reduce mileage, stop hill reps, reduce speed sessions, take more rest days etc. It works for me, but I don't recommend it to others.

Columba, well done for your 30 lengths of the pool. Do you find it helps your knee?

JB, you run really well on a lower weekly mileage. 

I ran 5 miles this morning with Sarah in heavy rain and strong winds.

Really worried now about Red and Mike, there must be something really wrong.

• Options

I agree - she has not posted on Facebook either. I am very worried.

• Options

Aqua-biking course begins again today, hurrah!

• Options

Morning allimage

HS, your mileage is amazing, well done on the 15 mile forest run and 5 the next day, inspirational!

JB, sounds like the hamstring is recovering, I couldn't do the mileage that HS does either, rarely manage to run tow days in a row!

Aquarius, I know exactly how you feel. I am struggling to get anywhere near a decent speed, in fact have to walk a lot, following one virus after another. Take it slowly, it will comeimage

I ran yesterday morning before work, 5 miles, tried to increase the speed a bit at times but still painfully slow! I went to Zumba last night, and this morning went swimming, covered 1,150 meters so pleased with thatimage Might do a spin class tonight??

Have a good day everyoneimage

• Options

Morning all,

Thanks MWW. Sounds like you are really into all round fitness. I used to swim twice a week, but now rest days mean rest days, a bit like Brexit means Brexitimage

We have a pyramid session at club this evening round a fairly flat road circuit.

• Options

MWW - impressive menu of exhausting activities.

36 minute hard (brisk, hilly) session for me today. One of those sessions that you just KNOW is doing you good - in a painful sort of way! I've been pretty idle lately so needed a bit of a beating.  

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Swimming at least does not seem to harm my knee. And tonight I shall be at the spinning class again, a good substitute for running as far as raising the heart rate is concerned.

MWW, your swimming distance was a lot more than mine!  JohnB, my 30 lengths may not be very impressive; it's not an especially big pool. I record 30 lengths as 0.375 of a mile. I'd have to do a lot of those to swim the channel. Well done on the brisk and hilly.  

• Options

Morning all,

It was minus 5 when I got up, and it is very frosty outside. Today is a rest day.

JB, no pain no gain, that session will do you good.

Columba, I've never done spinning, but one of our ladies at club has said that she has been getting pains on the soles of her feet. Another lady who does a lot of miles road cycling said that she didn't think trainers were suitable for spinning. I can't see why not, but am not qualified to advise.

It was zero degrees last night for our Pyramid Session. We did 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1, circuits, with walk recoveries between each, Each circuit was 284 yards. Total mileage including out and back was 7.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Sorry for absence and  for worrying you all - Sheila put a note for me on FB so I thought I'd better give a brief update. Mike's having lots of tests atm which involves numerous trips to the hospital, doctor and nurses, next one tomorrow. All the results won't be through for another couple of weeks so we've got an anxious wait ahead. Not the best start to the year! Still managing to maintain my running fitness but all marathoning cancelled for the moment. Haven't read back so hope you're all keeping fit and active xxx

• Options

Redhead - so sorry to hear of this. All good wishes.

HS - yet another hard session for you? You are right, though, on the 'no pain' principle; there's no two ways about it. I did an equally painful 5K today in perfect conditions and pretty much maxed out on effort ................but a slightly disappointing 22:20. However, the second half was quicker than the first so I think that's a good sign. What is the old saying - 'train hard, race easy'?

Even in glorious sunshine in late morning it was still surprisingly nippy on our prom. On the spinning thing, I'd be quite keen to have a crack at this (I hear good things) but I'm not one for classes (having spent a lifetime standing up in front of them!).

• Options

Hi Red, it's good to hear from you again, but so sorry that Mike is still unwell, necessitating lots of medical care. I do hope that the results of the tests are good. It must be a very stressful time for you both. It's good though that you are maintaining your running fitness, as it is a great stress reliever. Take care x

JB, yes it was tough, but everyone gave maximum effort. The secret of pyramid sessions is pacing, to ensure that the same pace is maintained throughout. Some of our runners set off much to quickly and consequently slowed during the latter efforts. That was still a very good time for your 5k. and a negative split is always beneficial, although not everyone would agree. I was the opposite in my speedier days, running flat out for the first few miles, and then hanging on for dear life.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Thanks for the contact, Red. Sorry to hear about all Mike's tests; it must be very worrying. On the other hand, good to know the medics are being thorough. A friend of mine is in a rather similar situation; she's being subjected to test after test, no stone being left unturned; may all be nothing in the end, but will be good to know it is nothing, if it is. 

John B, I don't know that I'd persist with the spinning if I was doing it on my own (i.e., not in a class). The teacher introduces quite a bit of variety which keeps us going for an hour. Left to myself I think I'd get bored after 20 minutes.

• Options

Morning all,

Bright and sunny, but minus 4. We have hilly circuits at club this evening, and I'm hoping that the roads and pavements won't be icy.

• Options

Red - sorry to hear about Mike's ongoing health problems, you must both be sick of the sight of doctors and hospitals. Although as Columba says it's all for the best, tedious and worrying though these tests may be, once all the results are in you'll have a better understanding of what is going on, and hopefully be given a clean bill of health. I'm sure we're all keeping fingers crossed for you both and sending best wishes.

I went training with the club on Tuesday. It was the first time I'd been in ages due to sniffles etc, and unfortunately I didn't pick a particularly easy session - 3k pace on the road. I found it hard going, but was really lifted by all the kind comments and encouragement from fellow members who could see I was struggling. I think that's the rewarding side of belonging to a club, apart from improving as a runner (hopefully) you  give and receive support and encouragement, whether on running related matters, or just life's ups and downs in general. Last Tuesday I ran in our club's rather competetive grand prix series. It was the 5th of 8 monthly races that make up the series. I knew I would be slower than usual but didn't want to let my team down by not turning up so just did my best. It's a handicapped race so the faster you are the later you start, and towards the end all the really fast ones streamed past me as I'd fully expected they would, but the number who took the time to give me words of encouragement really lifted me and helped me press on. I felt really humbled, I know - and they know - I'll never be as good as them, but still they wanted to acknowledge my efforts and spur me on as if I was a "proper runner".  I'll really miss them when we move house next month, but as we'll only be 40-50 mins away by car I hope I'll be able to get to an occasional session from time to time, I'll just have to see how it works out.

Tonight's club session is 3k pace on the track - wonder if I'll still feel so positive after that?image

• Options

Hello all

It's a beautiful day here in South Walesimage

HS, I try lots of different classes to avoid overdoing the running, but as I get older I have to take a couple of days complete rest! Great pyramid session for you, well done!

Columba, I think swimming is great exercise, particularly to maintain fitness when injured. Do you have diagnosis for your knee? 

Red, sorry to hear about your husband, I hope the test help to move things forward. well done on maintaining your runningimage

JB6, great 5k from you, negative splits as well!

Aquarius, it sounds like your club are very supportive, I hope you will be able to attend when you move.

I ran yesterday morning before work, had a decent 7 mile tempo (ish) run, very little walking, best run in ages! Tired today so resting, I have to do my LSR before work tomorrow as my husband is away at the weekend and I have to be taxi driver for my son and other family responsibilities. Hope to do 11-12 miles, will need a strategy to stay awake in work!

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Aquarius - I love handicap races. You're all on your own for ages, then just as you're in sight of the finish a great tidal wave of runners comes whooshing up behind and past you - always makes me laugh! 

South Wales is getting all the sun then, - certainly none in mid Wales today. I went for a longish walk along a stretch of the Wye Valley walk.

MMW - my knee has been x-rayed and I have been told it is arthritic, but I don't think that can be the full story.
    I do go swimming, but unfortunately I can't swim front crawl (I have tried, over a long period of time, but cannot co-ordinate arms, legs and breathing) and breast-stroke is not recommended for arthritic knees. So I do back crawl alternating with a sort of adapted breast-stroke with minimal kick.

• Options

Morning all,

Bright and sunny and minus 4 degrees. Today is a rest day and I have a dental appointment later this morning for root canal treatment. A great way to start the dayimage

Aquarius, its always good to receive encouragement when training and racing. I think that is why parkruns are so popular as the last finisher often gets more applause than the first finisher.

MWW, well done getting out for an early morning 7 miler. You are lucky to have decent weather.

Columba, I have never mastered the front crawl, and eventually gave up trying. I don't swim at all now.

Last nights club session was another toughie. We did 4 hilly circuits of 0.7 mile each, with walk recoveries between each. Total mileage was 8.5 including run out and back.

• Options

Aquarius - that was a very warm insight into the benefits of belonging to a club. I've been on the fringes of joining one for years (we have 4 in my town) but never taken the plunge. When I read your posting it made me think that I should have done so. Would you consider joining a new one near your new home or it is unthinkable that you'd leave your current one?

MWW - 7 miles without walking is very respectable. Have you a particular goal or target in mind at present?

Columba - I read your posting with interest. I too have never been able to master the front crawl (or the back one!) - so I am restricted to a very stately breast stroke. When I had a lot of hip problems everyone told me to stop running and to take up swimming - which I did. Result: the hip problem got much worse. Why? I think it was the kicking motion - as per your knee. I no longer swim!

• Options

Columba, I had an MRI scan last year which showed chondromalacia in my knee, in other words, some loss of cartilage behind the knee cap. I reduced my running quite a bit and have nee doing lots of strengthening exercises, only now starting to increase mileage again. I love swimming, was a club swimmer in my youth so enjoy getting back in the pool. 

HS, the hilly circuits sound challenging, well done! Hope the root canal wasn't too awfulimage

JB, my main goal is the London Marathon in April, I have a few other events, 10k and HM's lined up as well!

I was out early this morning, needed to do my LSR before work as my husband is away for the weekend and I have family stuff to manage! Another beautiful morning here, I was really pleased to run 12 miles with a small amount of walking. Knee is a bit sore now, but feel okay. I have a sports massage booked for laterimage

• Options

well done getting out for an early morning 7 miler. You are lucky to have decent weather.

• Options

Good afternoon all. Another frosty and drizzly day here. Where is the sun hiding? 

We had a challenging training session on Thursday, 300 metres on the track (at 28 sec per 100m) with a 100m walk back to the start. We did 8 of these one after the other, the only recovery being the walk.I’m sure it would have been childsplay for you HSimage, but I found it hard going. A rest day on Friday (apart from an hour’s walk) followed by a physio session in the afternoon and then parkrun today. Although it was a little frosty this morning the ground was a lot easier to run on than the icy surface we had last week. I felt a bit fitter whilst running, but I’m still not back to the times I would like. However as I don’t feel any ill effects I’m hopeful of being able to increase my mileage again, although I must keep reminding myself to build up slowly. Two weeks ago I only managed 10 miles, last week was 16 and this week it’s 20. I would like to get back to 25 miles a week, I’ve found from experience that’s as much as I can cope with without injury striking.   Columba, the next handicap race I take part in I’ll think of you when the other runners come streaming past. My reaction was to feel a little down hearted, but you have the right attitude, I’ll have to try to see the funny side of it next time.   MWW it sounds like you have a busy time coming up with all those endurance events. Good luck with your training, are your LSR’s on the flat or do you include hills in them?   JB - when I move I’m hoping to stay in my current club, but join a closer one for training purposes if at all possible. Someone mentioned they thought you could be in two clubs with one being a “first claim club” (I think) but I’m not sure how that would work, so I will need to look into it. The club I’m in at the moment is quite big and sends teams to lots of different events (Track meetings, cross country, road races, trail races, fell races, triathlons) so I’d still like to run for them as there’s such a choice of events and they are all well supported by the club.   HS - I hope your dental treatment wasn’t too unpleasant (or expensive). I always allow myself a treat after doing something that I consider a bit of an ordeal. As regards swimming I could fill the next few pages of this forum with my attempts at learning to swim. I’ve lost count of the number of lessons I’ve had. The end result being I can manage a few strokes of breaststroke before my concentration breaks down and my breathing and arm movements get muddled up and I end up drinking most of the pool.    Hope everything is ok in Redhead land.
  • Options

Morning all,

Minus 6 degrees and off for a long forest run with Karen at 9.00

MWW, thanks, the canal root treatment wasn't painful, although I did have an injection beforehand.  Well done for your early morning 12 miler, in what sounded like ideal conditions. Good luck with the sports massage.

Aquarius, 8 x 300 metres on the track is a tough session for anyone, so well done. Hope you got on ok with your parkrun. Building up mileage slowly is very important, as too many runners make the mistake of trying to make up lost mileage too quickly, which frequently leads to more injury or sickness. Many runners have first and second claim clubs, but as I understand it, the first claim club always has priorities in important races, for example Hampshire Road Race League Races.

I ran the Wilverley Inclosure parkrun yesterday with Alice. This run is 100% on trails and has 3 rather steep hills. This inevitably means that runners times are slower, than on the summer run which is dead flat and on grass round Brockenhurst College sports field. Alice was first lady and 11th overall in 21.50, I was first MV70 in 24.23 and 38th. Total finishers were 171, which was an impressive number, as the temperature according to the run director was minus 3.5 degrees. He said that it was the coldest run since the parkrun was held there. The marshalls were very brave, standing around in the cold.

• Options

Some very impressive running going on by Aquarius, MWW and (inevitably!) HS. I missed out on a parkrun yesterday as I was working; I felt quite resentful - must be withdrawal symptoms!

Aquarius - which course do you run on? Wen you move will you be switching to a different parkrun?

HS - your one sounded very tough so congratulations on such a good result. I've lined up a new one to me for next Saturday: Lee-on-the-Solent. It's down your way(ish!) but I think is not been going long and therefore I'm assuming you've not done it. It looks like a fairly quick track (= otherwise I would be doing it!) but I'd do well to secure a category win by the looks of it. Must remember to pack my passport as I need to cross the Hampshire border!

Today I did a 5 miler at 8.30 mm pace. Happy with this.

• Options

JB, thanks, it was a tough course and only the third time that I had run it. Last time was January 2016 and yesterday's was nearly 30 seconds quicker. I've not heard of the Lee_on_Solent parkrun so will look it up. Well done for your 8'30 pace 5 miler.

I ran 17 miles in the forest this morning, the first 10 with Karen. The ground was rock hard and I can't remember such heavy frost on the fields and trails. We ran at good pace together, but mine dropped off once Karen had finished. We both had Saturdays parkruns our legs. Karen had run the Lymington parkrun.

• Options

HS - excellent forest run, especially following a tough park run yesterdayimage

Aquarius - your track session sounds like hard work, well done. Don't be tempted to build the mileage too quickly...I have don't it many timesimage I am doing most of my LSR's on the flat to avoid aggravating injuries, but will do a few off rad and hilly to build up for a couple of trail events.

I did a trail 10k event this morning, really tough going, some major hills and virtually vertical for the last half mile! Time wasn't important, just wanted to get round, I think it was about 1hr 6mins, happy with that given I had to walk up lots of big hills!

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

MWW - I shall be somewhere along the VLM route, cheering-on Youngest Son who (rather to his own alarm) has secured a place. Nearer the time maybe you will let me know what your number is and what you'll be wearing, so that if I can pick you out in the crowds (unlikely...) I can cheer you too. It's very encouraging that you're back running despite the knee problem.

Aquarius, since the "handicap" is supposed to cope with the faster-slower runners contrast, I more or less expected that we would all reach the finish line together in a crowd. What amused me was the contrast between approx 4.9 km very quiet and peaceful and apparently all on my own, and 0.1 km in a roaring crowd.

John B - I suppose you wouldn't think of asking each of your local clubs in turn if you could join one of their runs experimentally, so that you and the club could see if you suited each other? Or can you see what information you can pick up from their websites? 

Hope Redhead drops in again soon.

• Options

5km run in the forest with both dogs today - John has joined the ranks of the injured,, he has a very swollen knee, no idea what caused it but the orthopedist had to drain a Bakers cyst behind the knee and took out 100ml of water. The knee is still very swollen and tomorrow morning he has to go to hospital for a computer scan in one of those big tubes that make clanking and clonking noises...