Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    HI sharkie
    you have not told us how you got on this morning, I suppose I will have to look for myself:-((

Spud
    your weather at this time of year sounds just fab.

Empty
    some good running done this week, quality not quantity. Poor Liz with having to wear unattractive ankle braces, but lets hope they do the trick. I still plan to run Victory 5, and lets hope the Hayling 10. But I fear the 10 miler will be not at a good pace for me.

ribs a bit sore after my run, they didn't hurt at all whilst I was pushing hard at the running, but now I can feel them. But it will only be temporary.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    right since sharkie is being very modest about her handicap race, I will spill the beans.

She finished 2nd handicap, is that good or what. Her target time was 38.34 and her net time was 37.42.

Her actual finishing time was 47.12 which is 37 seconds faster than last month.

She is still lying 3rd in the Championship table with 1 more month to go.

Great running sharkie and great progress.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    sharkie
    you asked about my hip and it was fine today too. I am keeping a bit stun about it as I can't beli9ve it, as it was certainly still a problem when i started running again after a 10 day lay off. But I may have fixed it myself. A hip flexor or tendon or somat in that region.

fingers x-ed.

Off to read Pammie report.
  • Options
    ceal
    double treble all fingers crossed for your hip...

Err, actually - because I was quite surprised - I have to correct what you said about the Handicap. I actually ran 52 seconds faster than last month. The finishing time is not the one you go off. Last month my I did 38:34, this month 37:42. How on earth am I going to do another PB in a month?

It was a bit cold for me but no wind and sunny so alright really.
  • Options
    PS: Pace 8:41 over 4.3 miles
    I have got to lose 2lbs and get under 8:30 miling.
    Somehow.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    sharkie
    sorry, I didn't give a lot of thought as to how the handicap thingie worked.

So Bl**dy H*ll, 52 seconds faster than last month, that is going somewhat. An excellent pace too. You certainly are improved month by month. All your hard work is playing off.

Just relax mentally about it all and it will happen, even the weight.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pammie
    just read your race report and your pre race report with great interest.

You did so well to finish and raise money for Charity when you were having a hard time with the last 10 miles.

It seems you had a week of several 1st's no wonder you were apprehensive.

Did you enjoy your week in Dublin?
  • Options
    Sharkie

If you lose any more weight you will disappear. Let me know when you are moving, maybe we can give you a sending off. I do fancy doing Hasting half marathon, but it all depends on Bernards shifts.

• Options
    JJ

Before I forget, good luck with your club run tomorrow.

aws

It is 3 weeks to Thanet 10, please come and join me.:0))
  • Options
    Oh i did.

and get myself a party frock for the works christmas party

C'mon lets boogie
  • Options
    Pammie

Will I see you tomorrow? How are your legs now?
  • Options
    Pammie,

Welcome back home and thread!
    Just read your Dublin Mara report and I must say as I was reading it I could feel the effects during your race description !
    Never having done a mara myself you have fired a warning shot to me to think again about entering. By that,I mean should I bother :-)
    Full marks to you for sticking it out and making it a great success for your charity too. Well done doesn't sound a good enough superlative, so put very in front :-))
  • Options
    Impey

You must come and do Beachy next year, it is great. Not sure your dog is up to the 26.2 miles thou.
  • Options
    Bernard is meant to get next year roster next week. Hope so, so that I can plan my races and our holidays.
  • Options
    Sharkie,

You were gonna keep that pb of yours quiet weren't you ?! There are spies and lurkers about on these threads so you cannot get away with it :-)
    Sure, there will be another pb for you in a month, I stick my neck out. You already show that you have a good pace to build on to further enhance time result.

Yesterday I tried a mini pyramid interval sesh. I.e. 3 x200m, 3 x 400m, 3 x 200m plus 3 and half miles steady runs either side of those. In my case, its essential to do more speedwork otherwise it'll go back to plateauing race paces. And it gets harder to beat advancing years from slowing me down :-))

• Options
    Tracey,

Sam might do better than me! Seriously though, I would like to do a mara somewhere before its too late. Ideally, maybe during my 70th year.
  • Options
    SHARKIE

BRILLO PAD!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Empty,
    Wondered where you had got to ! Understand you had a pretty hectic week really. Hope Liz will be fine with those ankle braces. Shame about the wasted evening with opposing team (or lack of team) letting your side down.

Ceal,
    From what you say, you might have cracked the situation. Certainly, you ran a good fair pace so soon. I'll cross my fingers and toes etc for you too :-))

• Options
    Super Spud,

Have a couple of pics for you from Sam but I do not have your e-mail address.

• Options
    Benzie,

Is that you I can hear shouting :-))
  • Options
    K2 will be most displeased with that posting.
  • Options
    TS,

If you are not running, can you do some more limericking ?

Bet you prefer the former though.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    The Colorado lady's fingers were hot, hot, hot,
    The legs of Torque Steer were not, not, not,
    So she massaged right up to his bott, bott bott,
    Now his legs that will no longer tot, tot, tot.

They will take to the hills and go, go go.
    So that by Christmas it will be ho, ho, ho!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    read they instead of that, last line of first verse!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Phew, blue screen, but went back and message was still there.

Impey
    Good thinking with doing the speed intervals and preventing plateauing.

Can't for the life of me remember what was on the previous page.

My cheeks are still glowing from my run in the cold and sunshine this morning.
  • Options
    Ceal,

Brill,brill,brill!!! Got me giggling :-)
  • Options
    I like that too
    blue screesn blooming annoying

I have even started a bugs thread
  • Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭
    Ceal great poem, brought a smile to my face.

Sharkie, the jury on weight training is still out as I haven't been able to get a routine going yet but will keep it going until April and then reassess.

Pammie great report, so many firsts. Oh, your report brought Abingdon 2005 back to me - I too struggled from 18 mile mark and had to walk last 3 - so I know how much determination and courage it took to finish. Well done.

Mike T
  • Options
    Pammie
    Yes, really well done. Sounds tough - but what's the betting you'll be back for more! Your training a few months ago had been very thorough, I'm sure a sub 5 is there for you.

I am going to enjoy running in Hastings. The house is about three minutes steep climb away from a fabulous country park. Even the names are wonderful: from Ebenenezer Road I shimmy up a Cat Creep on to the Tackleway and then it's straight up some wooded steps on to the Eastcliff. Rolling grassy ups and downs with a view of the layered town down to the right and the sea stretching out to the left. I ran through woods and fields, leapt over a few muddy bits, clambered up hillsides and zoomed down the, well, the down bits!

That was Tuesday and I didn't actually run again til the Handicap today. (Apart from a few good to be alive strides while Guy and I were out on a brisk walk on Wednesday.) I always meant to have at least one 'rest' day before the race but ended up doing less running than I meant to this week. Seems to have worked out ok. However, I DID miss doing a warm up this morning. Which was annoying. I was slightly later than I wanted to be and I just couldn't shake off a fellow Serpie! I still find it too difficult to say, " piss off, I want to do my warm up." perhaps I should phrase it more forcefully. :-)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    sharkie
    perhaps, excuse me I have to do my warmup now, or I might injure myself in the race 'cause it is so cold, might work.

Or

Shall we go for a warmup now before the race.