Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

ceal,
    It is good to hear that you have clicked back into place.

I did my 4x4s this morning. On track but for the last one where I faded a bit. I did them on the road and trail which had a few small hills which were not a problem until the last one.

10:02 Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Gym10k, 20c, sun, 4x4 w 3 min active, felt strong but faded on the last one

Total Run Duration = 58:58,  Run Length = 10.0 Kms or 6.2 Miles

Selected Lap Detail

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)

02     03:26     0.8        0.5      04:33      07:20        78.2        84.4       92.0        1.19

04     04:00     0.9        0.5      04:32      07:18        86.4        89.8       90.0        1.22

06     04:00     0.9        0.5      04:35      07:22        89.1        91.8       89.0        1.22

08     04:00     0.9        0.5      04:41      07:33        88.4        93.2       89.0        1.20

Totals and averages for selected Laps

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength

04     15:26     3.4        2.1      04:35      07:23        85.8        90.0       89.9        1.21

First one got cut short due to a couple of trees that had fallen across the trail. I did do the last bit of it but it got included into the recovery time.

• Options

Hope you can get nearer your target this month Tracey.

Had a fairly good Jubilee week-end here, though a few things were unfortunately rained off. I got a run in on Friday evening, and another on Monday. I'll be coaching the beginners again tonight, then we go off to our friend's in France (near Grasse) for 5 days tomorrow. I'm hoping for some warmer weather and sunshine, although it looks a little unsettled there too.

Glad that the back seems to have clicked back in to place, ceal.

I've now forgotten what I read earlier, as I realised I hadn't posted this before dashing to the allotment to do a last few tasks before our few days away. I know I read that there was a lot of good running going on, and a fair bit of good eating by TS again.

• Options

Just checked my records, Tracey, and I've never got below 45 minutes for a 5 mile race either, so perhaps I should try for that too. I got close back in 2008 at the Victory 5.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Diana, we stay in St Paul de Vance 2 years in a row. Say hi from us image

Have a lovely time x
  • Options

The wet Jubilee Sunday reminded me of the also wet Coronation in '53 when we saw the big event on a tiny 9 inch tele image.

Thankfully, Monday was better and actually perfect for the joint birthday/jubilee party as the sun took over from all that miserable mucky cloud.  Stage was set up for disco and later a great music session from a very good entertaining Beatles tribute band. Much fun,food, drink and dancing enjoyed by all !

Yesterday some cross-training as I did a good clean up at mum's house.  Needed doing as mum can't really cope with it now. She is not really well but doesn't complain and wouldn't want to leave her home to live anywhere else.

Got a phone call from my sister who had her arm x-rayed today and is to have operation on it tomorrow.

Got back to a bit of running today, not done any since the 5k Saturday.
    For some reason it takes me at least a couple of miles before I feel as though I'm warmed up enough,  so the pace takes longer to build up image.
    Mile times...12.06,  10.50,  10.32,  9.48,  10.11.
    Until I get back to more consistency and frequency with runs the speedwork will have to wait I'm afraid.  But I do think doing 5ks helps as it is a form of speedwork I suppose!

A phone call and then I'll read back.

• Options

I'm back.

Enjoyed the coverage of the Queen's Jubilee on television last night. Everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves, you had great weather, and it seemed money well  spent, especially with the Olympics coming up, it looked like a very warm, happy, friendly place to be!

We went to the South Island, first to Queenstown, and then to Invercargill. Queenstown is a very beautiful tourist town, the area around there reminds me a bit of Scotland and the mountains and lochs that are there, the only thing missing is the highland cows with their big horns!

We spent a few days looking around and doing lots of walking, but on the day before we went to Invercargill I decided to do a half hour run. Got 15 minutes into it and was just thinking that I wished I'd said I wanted to run a bit further, when I tripped and fell heavily. I was running on a very rocky track, so got a massive bruise on my thigh, and hurt my elbow too.

My knees were fine, so I ran back to my husband feeling very sorry for myself. The following day I was aching badly and also felt I had the flu coming on, so I wasn't in high spirits to celebrate anyone's birthday!

So, I'm back, still not feeling great, but did do an easy 9km run with my mates yesterday. Thinking I'll probably have today off too.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Did a practice of nearly all of next Tuesday race.

4.66 miles

Average Pace 9:38

9:47

9:48

9:53

9:26

5:58 (9:02 pace)
  • Options

Evening all

No time to read back as I seem to be developing a jet-setting life-style of glamour and Travelodges.

Since LFOTM I've been to Manchester (sharing room with 18-month old grandson who coughs, snufflwes, cries, mumbles, sticks legs through cot bars, etc, all night. Home for a night, then to Plymouth, back home then it looks as thought I'll be  in Southampton on Saturday.  I wish S*******p would open a store in the south of France.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

K2 - have you suggested it to them?

JJ - the pictures at last!  Brilliant hat; no wonder you won the prize.

NZC - ouch! Good thing nothing broken. Did you develop anything flu-like or was it just a shock reaction?

Diana - have a lovely time in France.

Ceal - that was a quick and easy cure for your back pain. Must have been some small thing out of place, I suppose.

Impey - I too watched the 1953 coronation on a very small TV. Not many people had TV then, - we certainly didn't - a family friend took me to the house of another friend to see it. I remember the room was really crowded.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

After some humming and ha-ing I did the 5k race tonight. 32 mins 38 seconds by my stop-watch; official time yet to come. I came in last, but was very surprised (at the tea-and-cake do afterwards) to be given a prize, - 1st F 65!

It was hard work. Like Impey, I need a couple of miles before I feel warmed-up. I did warm up a bit beforehand, but not nearly enough.

There was a young Dad running with his 7-month-old daughter in a running buggy. For a while he was behind me, but overtook me at around 2k. 

• Options

JJ,

Quite  a topper that one,  well done on making it first prize.  Hats off to you image

Columba,

Well done on your 5k race,  being 1st F65 is a good start.  Will you be doing more 5ks or is this a one-off event ?   You're right, it's really hard work doing a 5k and maybe where you raced was a hard up'n'downer course.

One mile or a bit more I find is enough to warmup before a 5k.  But everyone else may have different ideas image

But in training and knowing the run will be more than 5 miles it's easier for me to take a couple of miles before quickening paces.  I must be getting old, really old image

• Options

Good morning

5.11M; 1:03:09.8; 12:21/M;

1   12:19.8   1.00   12:20

2   12:23.6   1.00   12:24

3   12:44.2   1.00   12:44

4   12:35.2   1.00   12:35

5   12:07.7   1.00   12:08

6   0:59.3   0.11   8:46

13°C

Not bad. Neg split by a halfsec. How about that?   JJ - Bril piximage. Worth the wait.   al
  • Options

Missed the link to the pics - stunning hat, JJ!   Good enough for Ascot!

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

JJ
    LOVE the hat, I can see why you were awarded 1st prize. However, I nearly wet myself when I came to the photo of you actually wearing the hatimage. I can well imagine the extra work that you will be subjected to with your now Open Garden. But it is  rewarding privilege.

Tracey
    You will have no problems getting a 5 mile pb if your training run of yesterday is anything to go from. You just have to pace it correctly.

NZC
    Oh dear me. We don't bounce like we used to, do we! I expect that the flu like symptoms could have been as a result of the shock from the fall. I felt quick sick reading about falling onto rock image. The areas of NZ that you visited sound beautiful. How would the climate compare with that of Scotland.

Columba
    Many, many congratulations on being 1st L65 in your race. How does your time compare with that in Hyde Park. Have you worked out your age-grading? We, all, regardless of age, require a good warm up before a race, especially a 5k. I think you will find that the elites will warm up for around 30--40 mins,if not longer, well certainly Seb Coe used to.  

Impey
    Sounds like you are getting life back to some sort of normality now. Is your Mum getting a lot of help in her home, that which she is entitled to at least?

K2
    I remember sharing a room with Matilda when she was a baby, actually, it was in a caravan and the little disturbing noises that they make can be very disruptive to one's sleep.

MIck6
    I had forgotten all about 4 x 4's. Yes you faded on the last one, but you won't next time around.  It was a good av pace.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    JJ - your hat made me smile image
  • Options

good morning

Departure delayed to teh Lakes as it is nissing down here - and worse over there image

JJ
    you are looking very seductive in that hat - any donkey on the beach would be most impressedimage!!!

NZC
    double ouch for the fall and 'flu symptoms - that's what holidays bring!!!

Columba
    many congratulations - first place in the WV65  is all you have to sayimage  
    I noted on the parkrun site that a young mother had ran a 5K in 21:40 pushing  a buggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K2
    the life of a busy executive - very glamorous!!

Impey
    "It's not running that makes you old - it's not running that makes you old" - quote from Head in the Clouds

Mick6
    tricky getting the pace right but they still look strong

Tracey
    excellent trial out - when is the race? Don't forget to ease down and leave plenty in the tank for it!!

Ceal
    Pleased the back problem went as quickly as that - I live in mortal fear of a back spasmimage 

Thursday is 440 yd interval day - so 1.25 mile warm up (which I find more than enough though it has a big hill in it which helps to get the HR up) and then my path across the Stray where the potholes are getting bigger!! One minute passive rests

1)  1:26:41 (5:54m/m) avhr131 max149 - stupidly quick for an opener downhill
    2)  1:41:02 (6:48m/m) no HR data  but tiring quite quickly back up!!
    3)  1:26:46 (5:55m/m) avhr136 max153 - oops will pay for it
    4)  1:48:30 (6:59m/m) avhr142 max156 - and did very quickly
    5)  1:34:31 (6:26m/m) avhr133 max144 - take too much of a breather
    6)  1:45:90 (7:03m/m) avhr138 max154 - start at wrong tree and make it longer!!
    7)  1:28:31 (5:55m/m)avhr136 max 154
    8)  1:41:00 (6:48m/m) no Hr data - but maximum effort

Bit of a pebbledash effort - first one felt ridiculously easy and it was difficult to calibrate speed after that - the uphills becme particularly taxing.

I obviously need some extra nourishment so off now to replenish energy stocks with .......................

• Options

Selection of Cumbrian Delicacies
    Thornby Cheese Beignets, Trout Tartare, Ham Hock Piccalilli

Sole & Smoked Eel with Oysters

Rabbit, Wild Mushroom & Sorrel Terrine with Foraged Herbs & Leaves

Palate Cleanser

Salt Marsh Lamb with Flookburgh Shrimps, Samphire & Garlic Pomme Puree

Local Artichoke & Asparagus Risotto, Parmesan & White Truffle Oil

Assiette of Desserts
    Sticky, Nicky & Damson Gin

Petit Fours
    Romney, Cartmel & Nelson

Freshly Brewed Coffee

it will  have to do - don't know what the wines are yetimage

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

TS
    Not sure I like the sound of the sole, smoked eel with oysters but could manage the rest! The weather forecast for tomorrow is a terrible one. A good set of intervals. I see you are making the potholes bigger by visiting them too frequently. My first interval is usually the opposite of your very fast one. I seem to run mine slow. Our Max HR's are similar although mine were run differently in that I ran a uphill return on the 400's. So a longer rest was taken.  

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

I couldn't let the side down by not doing my 400's today. I would have been given grief by TSimage.

I ran down the hill to the flatter area around here. Telling myself that on the return I could walk back up the hill home.

Warmed up for 3 k which included a lot of dynamic drills and  couple of fast strides. I would have like to have done the 400's on the grass, but although the grass had been cut since I was last there, the terrain was muddy and very tufty. Not safe at all for faster running. Hard work too. so there was nothing for it but to repeat what I had done a couple of weeks ago and that was to run the slightly downhill pavement for the 400 interval and then jog back the return.

The return 400's were all just under 10 min milling with an av HR in the late 130's and a Max of 140+. I returned as soon as I finished the rep. But then I had to take just less than  minute recovery to get my HR to return to some sort of normality. 

6 x 400's--remember these are slightly down hill but with pot holes, man hole covers and obstacles littered along the way
    1.36 mins, HR 132/145
    1.34 mins, HR 133/146
    1.38 mins, HR 133/148---I had to hesitate slightly to let a car drive out of side road
    1.33 mins, HR 139/155
    1.28 mins, HR 142/156--not sure I believe this one
    1.31 mins, HR 143/156

Then I went on to the grass and did a couple of 100's (approx) then jogged around the field for a mile. Total mileage for the day 6.23 miles.

I then walked up the hill back home. I am not sure that it wouldn't have been easier to have ran it, but that would have taken more energy!

My low back is stiff making my glutes feel very tight.  

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    TS - am tapering now until Tuesdays race image
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Diana - Enjoy France

Had a brilliant idea NOT

Cycle to work leave bike there run home high winds tonight not tried cycling in mid air something i don't fancy Then it decided to rain and of course half term and mental traffic

But as Winston Churchill said When going through hell, keep going 3.28 cycle/1.58 mile run not far but done

Just to say work now till Weds so if i'm absent thats why

• Options

JJ
    I had to count the asterisks. There is usually one less if you work there. image
    Unfortunately I don't think a hat would fit with my jet-setting lifestyle. I'd probably leave it on a train somewhere.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Ceal,
    Impressive 400s, these may even be the best I have seen you post, a big well done.

JJ,
    Winning is what it is all about right? Maybe there is something about scrapeing the bottom of the barrel as well. Impressive 10 mile time as a 65 yo, defintely a target.

Give my feet a bit of a rest today. Cycled to and from the lawyer's office with a stop for a million calories at Starbucks. Round trip 55k.

• Options

Good long bike from you Mick - think you deserved your calories!

JJ - great pics, must have been lots of fun making and wearing that hat - you must have had lots of hoots!

Columba - well done at the 5km.

Ceal - Queenstown had a good fall of snow yesterday, we got out just in time. It is a beautiful place. 

You continue to get stronger and faster all the time.

Torque Steer - a long run, plus speed work - you're doing it!

Tracey - good luck with your race.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

This is a good thread for quotes today:

"It's not running that makes you grow old, it's not running that makes you grow old"

and

"When going through hell, keep going" (he suffered from depression, so he should know).

Ceal - I think I did the Hyde Park 5k in about one minute less than last night's. But am going by my stop-watch time, not official time. Age grading was 61%, - again, going by my stop-watch.

TS - how do you get hold of food like that?