Options

ING NEW YORK CITY MARATHON 2006

Comments

• Options
    WOO-HOO!

Just put my feet up and watched match of the day having finished my 20 miler this morning. Got round in 3hrs 10 and found last 2 miles pretty tough. Still, that's 20,20 and 18 as the last 3 long runs so chuffed to bits, especially as i couldn't run 3 months ago.

I'm starting my taper now and gonna take it easy the next few days as the muscles/tissue around where I fractured my leg flared up again during the run.

Congratulations to everyone on the runs. Good luck Rowan.

BRING IT ON!

El C
  • Options
    Did 21 this morning...feel really pleased with it. I worked out a new course (using Google Earth) which turned out to be a lot hillier than I'd expected...there were some big ones (well for Cambridgeshire anyway, but I'm sure more severe than NYC).

That was quite a heavy week too, so I'm really looking forward to winding down over the next three weeks. I might go 17 miles next Sunday, then 8.5 the next (at Grafham Water, 2 laps then 1).
  • Options
    Just completed a 3 hr run, my ankle is a bit tender but only to be expected!

Will go out in the car later and clock the mileage, expect 15-16 miles. Given I was nervous about finishing the 10k I'm delighted, just not sure what to do this week? Push for more time on feet and mileage or taper?

• Options
    Hi all just got back and guess what 'i did it!!'20.75 miles with new PB.My previous best was back in march pre FLM 2hrs35m42s and my best for pre NYCM was 2hrs37m21s.
    MY new PB is 2hrs33m20s.So 2m22s off previous best and 3m01s pre NY best.i still have a small matter of a 18 miler next sunday.Piece of cake!

Well in there.
    PUG
    MLC
    EL CAPITAN
    LYNNE
    TRAIL RUNNER

WELL DONE EVERYBODY!!
  • Options
    Johnny in my opinion I would push for more time on my feet this week then start your taper the week after.There is nothing worse trying to finish a marathon half fit it gets really tough so you have to use this week to get fitter.
  • Options
    Rowan, you sure it's wise doing 18 next week? Dont' wanna preach as you've got more experience of marathons than me... but take it very steady if you do... not sure it's wise, as it take upto 3 weeks for a run to get into your legs (as in reaping the benefits)... and that 18 miler won't... so just wondering why you're doing it?

I'll probably do a 12-13 next Sunday... then I probably won't go above 8-10 or anything after that...

Pug
  • Options
    Its funny you should say that PUG.I was saying the same thing when I was following the runners world schedule pre london.I still did.This was the schedule two weeks before FLM.

Schedules for the week See full marathon schedules
    w/c Apr 3 MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN
    Sub-3:00 5M easy 1M jog, then 8 x 800m fast, with jog recoveries, then 1M jog 7M slow 10M steady Rest or 4M easy 5M easy 18M slow
    Sub-3:30 Rest 1M jog, then 7 x 800m fast, with jog recoveries, then 1M jog 6M slow 10M steady Rest 5M easy 18M slow
    Sub-4:00 Rest 1M jog, then 6 x 800m fast, with jog recoveries, then 1M jog 6M slow 9M steady Rest 4M easy 18M slow
    Sub-4:30 Rest 1M jog, then 6 x 800m fast, with jog recoveries, then 1M jog 5M slow 9M steady Rest Rest or 3M easy 17M slow
    Get You Round Rest 45 mins: run 4 mins, walk 1 60 mins: run 5 mins, walk 1 Rest 45 mins: run 4 mins, walk 1 Rest 2hrs: run 5 mins, walk 1

• Options
    I probably wont do 18 next week but it is a target. My heart and mind will battle it out and we will see who wins.
  • Options
    Wow, everyone seems to be coming good just at the right time. Rowan, Pug you guys are in a different league from me but we all have our targets and we all seem to be hiting them. Best of luck to all those yet to do their longest run.
  • Options
    Well done everyone, sounds like you're all doing really well. I set out for my 18miler but was feeling good at the turnaround point so I kept on going. Ran the same route as Tuesday so finished up with a 22mile run, and it was 7 minutes quicker than Tuesday so I'm quite chuffed with that. I agree with MLC, quite looking forward to easing back a bit from here on in.
  • Options
    Welldone KP... blimey, you're one of the few people I know who goe for 178, finds it too easy then adds another 4 on top ;-) Nice one fella...

Rowan
    Just been looking at that last 3 weeks schedule... See where you get the 18 from... however to be honest mate, there's no way I'll be foloowing that... I persoinally think there's too many miles in there, plus, speed work is where tired muscles will tear in my opinion... I'll be sticking with less mile and not one speed session...

I've done about 3 speed sessions in 16 weeks of prep upto now, all the rest have soimply been runs, and I'm not about to start lol...

The problem I've had is, doing this kind of mileage training week after week, iof I do speed at the same time... I start to pick up injuries left right and centre, it's only when I go back down to 30 mile weeks I can do it...

Go for that 18 if you want matey... I'm sure this schedule must work, I don't think it's for me... I need a major rest now as been running on emergency batteries last week or two... :-(

Pug
  • Options
    PUG,I never followed the runners world marathon schedule religiously.I have done five marathons.The first 1 I followed what another marathon runner advised me.I then used that as a basis for my second marathon.My 3rd marathon I started adding my own bits like more warm up races and a strict diet.That helped me take 47 minutes off my PB.My 4th marathon(NY) I was injured for most of my training schedule.
    As for my last marathon 5th FLM I decided to use the runners world marathon training schedule but incorporate with my own training schedule and diet,culminating in me taking another 14 minutes off my PB.The 18 miles next week was only a consideration but I will cross that bridge when I get there.
  • Options
    Man, just got results from our club runners in Amsterdam, some awesome times... the pressure is on.

Rowan, I drew up a training plan then fell off the wagon 2 weeks into it, and made it up as I went along, not one to keep to things lol...

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you mate? I'm 31, turn 32 on the 16th November when I fly back...

Anyone else with a 20 today?

Pug
  • Options
    PUG,I'm an old boy, i'm 37 and have been running for 2 and a half years.
  • Options
    well done everyone on the long runs, it sounds like we're all bang on target, It feels so good to have that big run under the belt. now I know I can do this, it may take a while but I know I can finish. I thought I would really ache today but I dont, I swear its the oils I use. My legs know they've done something but I dont hurt at all.

Rowan, OLD! my heart bleeds for you, you dont know the meaning of the word 'old' wait till your my age then you'll be able to say old lol.
  • Options
    Cheers Pug, I was just having one of those days where everything clicks and was really enjoying my run so I kept going - it definitely isn't the norm! (Hopefully I haven't peaked too soon!)

Pleased to hear you're in good shape Lynne, you'll definitely finish.

P.s I am actually female. Think that shadow is probably very deceptive, but I really have an appalling lack of technical knowledge and don't know how to get rid of him or put my own image in, so it's kind of stuck there! Apologies for any confusion.
  • Options
    My 10 longest runs so far:

1:20.75 miles
    2:20.75 miles
    3:20.75 miles
    4:20.75 miles
    5:18.60 miles
    6 18.60 miles
    7 16.60 miles
    8 16.00 miles
    9 12.60 miles
    0 10.50 miles

total:175.90 miles
  • Options
    Sorry KP,I didn't say well done.You really done good.The only time I will be reaching 22 miles is at the marathon.
  • Options
    Well i had a sports massage done yesterday and my hamstring was feeling a wee bitty better today, however in the light of a rather depressing week of my hamstring niggling me i decided not to do my 20 mile today, instead i done 12 and felt not to bad, not great but not to bad. I am hoping that my long runs over the previous 3 weekends 16.5, 18.5 and 20 respectively will be enough, coupled with my weekday runs. Please someone tell me it will be otherwise should i try and do an 18 mile run next weekend?? I'm a wee bitty confused.

My 12 miles today took 1hr 37mins, Rowan/Pug your words of wisdom please, yours Mr Anxious.
  • Options
    I'm not an expert Watty, but I'd say you did the right thing. I wouldn't want to risk it so close to the event, I'd suggest tapering as you were planning originally (maybe with a bit more rest even), and ensure you're hamstring is in good shape for the day. I usually find a good rule is to listen to you're own body, if it's telling you it's not right don't push too far - I made the mistake of ignoring signals several times before I learnt to listen! Good luck with it anyway. Let us know how it goes

Cheers Rowan, it's my 6th attempt to break 4 hours and I generally suffer with the same problem of fading badly between 20 & 24, before picking it up a bit for the last couple of miles, so I decided this time round to take my longest runs slightly over the 20 mark to see if it makes a difference when I get to that stage on the day - fingers crossed. I'm nowhere near as fast as you and Pug either, so I guess it's probably less damaging to my legs than your speedy 20s as well.
  • Options
    Watty in my opinion,youve done enough.It is really too late now to catch up with any fitness or endurance.You should take it easy now over the next 3 weeks and protect that hamstring.if you can do a really slow 14 to 15 next week and call that your last long run.Then just do a series of slow shorter runs 6-7 miles leading up to the big day.
  • Options
    Watty
    I'd go with Rowan on this, I know you'll be tempted by another 18... if you can get one in the next 2-3 days, then fine, if not, dont bother... right now, it'll only be for your own confidence, not for adding to ability and like Rowan says, I reckon you've done enough to be honest mate. What you may be short, 1 or 2 long ones, the crowd WILL pull you through as long as you don't go off too quick....

K.P
    Apologies... I didn't know you was a girly ;-) hehehe...

By the way, did everyone/or has everyone done long runs in the gear they're wearing for the Marathon, I'd recommend it... make sure everything is fine, fits etc etc... I did today just to make sure these vapofly's (they weigh 180g) didn't bust my legs in two lol

Pug

• Options
    Done my 12 mile today in marathon gear Pug ;-)Got magic Saloman Trails shorts with 2nd layer inside them to stop chaffing, they're pretty good, asics gel nimbus VIII and my charity running vest with optional nike dri fit sphere long sleeve for underneath depending on the weather. And 1000 mile socks.

P.S If anyone is looking for post race eating inspiration i've just spent the last half hour going through the reviews and menus here www.menupages.com basically lists and rates every eatin place in NYC along with a full upto date copy of each menu, mouth watering stuff!!
  • Options
    Bit of a disaster today.

It started so well. This morning the future Mrs C and I were running our final 20 mile run before NY. We ran along the river Hamble watching the yachts going out to race in the Solent, the sun was out, just enough wind to keep you cool, we were running right on 3:45 pace without any problems – basically a perfect run. Then we got to 14.5 miles. We were going through some woodland and a dog decided to run after us (as they always do – not the brightest creatures in the animal kingdom) for 50m or so. This was just enough time for the FMrsC to briefly lose concentration and trip over a tree root quite spectacularly. It is my guess that most women 13 days from their wedding day would automatically try to protect their face from injury (think of all those wedding photos!); but I’m proud to say that FMrsC got her priorities correct, and whilst flying through the air her subconscious must have said “protect the legs!”. As a result she landed face first onto the ground. She had hurt her jaw badly and quite a lot of blood was emanating from her mouth. The run stopped there. Anyway, we managed to get a lift back to FMrsC’s parent’s house where we were staying. Fearing a broken or dislocated jaw, FMrsC went to A&E, and I’m happy to say that she was given the ‘all clear’. Her legs and arms are perfectly fine, so we will still both be on the start line in NY. Her toughness and determination are just some of the reasons why it will be a privilege to marry her. PS The dog owner didn’t stop to apologise or offer any help!

It is great to see all the long runs you guys have done today. Because of our aborted run today, I think we will both be planning 18-20 mile runs next weekend. We will then both have done 3x20 mile and 1x22 mile.

• Options
    Coronium, sorry to hear about Mrs Cs accident I hope her injurys heal up soon.
    K.P, regarding the shadow you see, the rest of us don't get to see it only yourself. All we see is the message and no photo just like you can see on my post.
  • Options
    Coronium, really sorry to hear about FMRsC accident, thats one reason, in fact the only reason i stopped running through my local wooded area which is a shame cos its really pretty. Problem is I'm really scared of dogs to start with and have them chase after be almost gives me a heart attack. Anyway hope her injuries are minor and no facial cuts/bruises ect.

Watty the adivce from everyone else sounds good. No point in injuring yourself further at this stage, I've only done one 20 miler myself so I know how you feel confidence wise. I was wanting to have done 2 or 3 at that distance or longer. that was the plan at the start of this campaign but work and life got in the way and I havnt managed it. But, having done it once I know I can do it again and so can you,

Pug, the only thing I havnt run in is the vest top from my charity......they havnt sent it yet. I emailed and asked them about it a couple of months ago and they said I should get it by the middle of October which I thought was a bit late as I need to know it fits and is comfortable with enough time to change it if it doesnt fit. If it doesnt then I'll just wear my usual gear that I'm comfortable with. Tried those 1000 mile socks but didnt like them much, got nike running socks which are fine for me, though it doesnt matter what i wear my toes still hurt after about 10 miles. I have scar tissue under one of my toes after nearly amputating it a couple of years ago and it niggles a bit after a long run.

Just going out for a quick .. well plodding ... 6 miles. catch you all later.
  • Options
    am feeling very depressed today, the swelling in my shin has not subsided and i still have some numbness. I havent beem out for a run for 7 days and i am feeling very anxious. Another 2 days to go on the penecillin but i am going back to the doctors today to see what he thinks!!
  • Options
    WOW you lot have got some great runs in over the weekend - brilliant stuff! Now don't get too excited and make yourself all tired - there's LESS than 3 weeks to go now (only 2 1/2 weeks at work for me hurrah!)

I did a 20 on Saturday morning - at 3.16 it was a wee bit slower than I was aiming for but I think it's because I had to walk to work out how to open gel packs - bloomin' fiddly things! I also tried out what I was GOING to wear in NY, but have now changed my mind due to the spectacular red v neck mark which has rubbed itself into my chest! Funny that, as I wore exactly the same top for FLM this year and had no worries. Looks like I may have to do a bit of shopping and wear something in PDQ...

Coronium - sorry to hear about FmrsC. Buy her a tube of arnica to rub in if she's got bruises as it's really really good stuff.
  • Options
    Well done Bax, and good luck with the new gear, any excuse for a shopping trip eh!

MrsB, good luck at the Drs, hope its good news, but dont despair, youve probably done enough to get you through this and were all behind you 100%.

I've got a bit of a delicate problem here, one for the girls so guys, you can stop reading here. After my 20 mile run on Sat, the only bits of me that are sore are....youve guessed it, my 'bits'. I've wore the same underwear and shorts for every run and had no problems. Well not the same underwear as i have several pairs of the same type, but you know what i mean. Might have to go buy some sudocrem, Any adivice girls, (unless there are any gynaecologists on the tread.) lol

OK i'm now going away to hide my blushes.
  • Options
    Oh no Lynne that doesn't sound nice, perhaps you could try vaseline it seems to work for everything else! I hope it clears up before NYCM. I am off to do it too- very excited :-).

Good luck everyone