Options

ING NEW YORK CITY MARATHON 2006

Comments

• Options
    Arrghh, disaster - it's closed, and this would have been it's centenary year. The curse of the developer apparently, paid $15m for the site. I should have known that nothing lasts long in the States, back to the drawing board.
  • Options
    Predicted Times

Pugheaven 2.49.50
    Lee Cartmell 2:55
    Rowan 3.30
    2old 3.35
    Daisy D 3.38
    Mr and Mrs Coronium 3:45
    BEEP BEEP 2 3:50
    flying high 3.50
    cottonbud 3.55
    Shimlar 3:56
    Watty 3:58
    mud Splttered 3.58
    K.P. 3.59
    SlowButFar 3:59 (maybe . . . if Cardiff goes really well)
    Mid Life Crises 3.59
    BOUNTY 3.59
    Bax 3:59:59
    ANDREW YATES 4:00
    Dooda 4.07
    catherine s 4:15
    El Capitan s 4.17
    sdtoot 4.25
    Stuart Barrow 4:30
    Lynne Sheppard 5.30
    Queenie 4.50
    Charlotte 5.30 (with luck and a less weird knee)
    Dubai Dave
    Glugg, going for a good time not a fast time
    flying high 5.0 if everything goes well
    bagpuss 6:30

Up For A Beer/Food Sunday Night

Pugheaven
    Mid Life Crisis
    Lynne S
    Charlotte (if she actually finishes on the sunday)
    Queenie - might be, depends on state of mind & legs
    K.P
    Watty (2 Can Dan:-/)
    El Capitan
    Rowan
    Bagpuss
    Stuart Barrow
    Bax
    Catherine S
    BOUNTY
  • Options
    I'm looking just at time on feet now, did Liverpool 10k on Sun, another 7 miler on Tuesday and ran for 2 hr 15 min last night about 11 miles, ankle a little sore but what do you expect - gonna do either a 14 miler on Sun or a 6 hour walk? Not sure.

Advice?
  • Options
    oh dear. Think i will add my injury to the list, did 21 miles on Sunday which was supposed to be my last big run. On staurday night i felt some twinges in my left shin, took some ibroprofen and felt fine on Sunday morning. as i was running my shin started to paly up and by the time i was half way it was really painfull i kept on going until 18/19 miles at which point i was in agony i got to 21 miles but the alst 4 miles were more of a slow slow jog/walk thing.
    Went to the docs on Monday and unfortunaly have an infection so am taking penecillin and cant exercise for 10 days! Shin and ankle still swollen and sore today, i am trying to think positvely in order to make it better quick!!
  • Options
    How about meeting at someones hotel as a starting point on the Sunday night - preferably a largish one with a largish bar! - it would be an easy option if no-one knows of anywhere else. We could always go on somewhere else from there. First one there could put a "RW" flag on the table so we could all know who they were! I would suggest mine, but it is only little!

Good luck with the weekend runs everyone - and take it easy!

• Options
    Another thought - those of us who are in NY early could ask in the hotel for a suggestion of somewhere to go in the evening & book it. We could still make the arrangement now to meet in the hotel to keep it simple on the co-ordination front.
  • Options
    My hotel is the Pennsylvania, opposite Penn Station on 7th Avenue at 33rd (hey how's that for sounding like a Noo Yawker?) is massive, so I expect it will have a big bar.
  • Options
    Ma hamstring is annoying me, done 6 miles last night and its tight as fook today :-( What do i do? My big run on sunday or do i leave it, any thoughts? Scared to make things worse but at the same time want to get my last 20 mile run done.

BOUNTY - weewatty@hotmail.com for Monday night organisation/msn purposes. Scotland got its feet back on the ground on Weds night in Ukraine eh? Consolotion was seeked though with a fine result for Croatia.

3 weeks guys, thats all now, come on lets all get rid of these wee niggling injuries!!
  • Options
    Watty if ist that stiff bin the 20 mileer it will do more harm than good.

I did my 21 miles in 2-43 this morning so 3- 30 should be possible if I have a good day and I don't get held up by too many walking Americans.

Good luck with your long runs this weekend.

Pug hope it clears up.
  • Options
    Watty: yer in matey..was overjoyed at the overrated's result on Wednesday..good luck for your long run hope yer hamstring sorts out..ill be online Monday nite prob catch up then

Lynne: Am travelling with 209 too. My hotel, the Time Hotel is right by yours so at least we will be close.

Pug: Im like you, no NOWT about dat der New York. As much as you appear to have been the general in this campaign , I think its time for us troops to do a bit of rallying round. You have enough to be thinking of !! Have had the Rocky soundtrack suggested to me to. So it aint as bizarre as it sounds

Did 18 miler today thru a very foggy North Wales/Chester..3hr 15..not confident in predicted time. But Ill just go with it. Fully plugged in mp3 wise..for those of you that are interested Jay Z reckons that we are goin to "the murder capital where they murder for capital"..zoinks!!
  • Options
    Bounty, you live near Chester? I'm in Elton, other wide of Ellesmere Port...

Small world ain't it lol... right, good okay... you lot decide where we hold our little party ;-)

Pug
  • Options
    Hi all,just did a light run today with my long run in mind on sunday.
    6.50 miles 43m57s my fastest recorded time.
    I'm happy but i will be happier when I complete my long run on sunday and come out unscathed.
  • Options
    RE Pubs:
    I dont remember the Penn having a bar in the hotel, there is an irish bar located in the milford plaza and a few bars across the road. also the Milford plaza is very close to times square where as its a hike or subway from the Penn.
    also crown plaza has a bar inside the hotel.
    The copacabana has a runners night special on, on the sunday. if i can think of other bars i will let you know.
  • Options
    Got my documents today.My e ticket confirmation,itenerary and information. Yeah!!
  • Options
    Just seen on the NY web site that there will be 3342 Brits in the race and we are the largest foreign contingent. I'll be going to the after race party. There'll be a free ticket in your goody bag and you'll be able to buy extra tickets at the expo. Sounds like a damn good piss-up to me.
  • Options
    GOOD NEWS EVERYONE... WELL FOR ME

Just been out with the club for a 5 miler... slow first 2 mile (7:35 then 7:10) then picked it up for the remaining 3 mile... 31:24 6:17 m/m and didn't feel the hamstring... not counting me chickens here... but I'll take it dead easy over the next week, but that's the first time I've ran 6 m/m miling withouth this hamstring seizing within the last 4 weeks... so, it may me on the mend?

Pug
  • Options
    Nice one Pug! Really positive news.

I had my first good run for 3 weeks earlier, 8m in just over an hour with no pain whatsoever so looking forward to a 20 on Sunday.

Bring it on!

Cheers,
    Andrew
  • Options
    Great news pug - fingers crossed for you.

The Crowne Plaza looks a good idea for meeting up - right on Times Square. Easy to find and easy to find places to go onto (for those who haven't fallen asleep in their beers - that would be me!!).

According to their website they have "The Lobby Bar" - we could make that the venue - at what time?
  • Options
    Glad to hear everyone is looking forward to the big day. Pug, pleased to hear your hamstring is improving - don't try to do to much too soon though after all the hard work you've put in. Sure you're capable of knowing what your body can do though.

I did my longest run of 22miles on Tuesday and it was really good. I felt very tired in the last couple of miles, but was 100% focussed on getting to the end and not pulling up short. I found that focussing on landmarks that I knew were approaching helped, and before I knew it I was home. Planning around 18miles tomorrow, but I'll see how it goes. It's only been 4 days since the 22 so I'll listen to my legs as I go along, although they've been feeling pretty good this week.

Looking forward to the taper and the race now - 3 weeks tomorrow! Good luck with all your long runs this weekend.
  • Options
    I've got 10 to do sometie today... if the missus would get of my back winging lol... and then I'll get out around 6:30am tomorrow and do the 20... lst 20 of the training... infact, only the 2nd 20 of the training rofl

Pug
  • Options
    just got back from my....20 miler, woo hoo. Ist one i've done and boy do my legs know it. Did it in 3 hours 42 mins, I know thats not fast but I'm really pleased with my time. the route is quite hilly and on my 2nd lap I was just focusing on getting up the big hill, i kept telling myself if I could get up that then the rest would be just plodding till I was finised. AND I DID IT. walked the last 1/4 mile as a cool down and it taught me that if i stop at that distance then I wont get going again, lesson learnt for NY, keep going girl!!.

Pug really pleased to hear the hamstring is getting better, you must be so relieved.

KP I too keep focusing on land marks, though I didnt read your thread till I got back. I kept telling myself, just get to the duck pond, then the pub, then the church etc etc and it works for me. Also listening to music helps, though when Beautiful South were singing 'dont know what I'm doing here I'll carry on regardless' I didnt know whether to laugh or cry, especially 2nd time around. Might have to delete that one.
  • Options
    Well done Lynne,does your taper start now?
  • Options
    Thanks Rowan, thought I'd do one more bigish run, maybe about 15 miles, next week with 2 or 3 6 milers and then taper the final 2 weeks, just keeping it to 4 to 6 miles x3 each week. Be grateful for any advice on this.
  • Options
    Lynne
    You're a star, well done, I've been diggin the front garden for the past 2.5 hours, but having a can of scrumpy then off out on a 10 miler...

Really well done on your 20, that's it, all done for ya... tell ya what, and I mean this... to be on your feet that long in a training run, is no mean feet! Your'e gonna storm NY no problem... bet you feel so good now ;-)

Down to us now, not to let the side down and get our 20 milers out of the way tomorrow, I've decided to do mine at 6:30am from Hoylake to Ellesmere Port, bang on 20 mile... with some tough hills... that'll teach me for being an idler last night and only doing 5 lol...

Pug
  • Options
    Lynne well done on the 20 miler.KP too.
    As for the taper it depends on what weekly mileage you have been doing. I drop 25% 3 weeks out with a 13 mile run at the end of the week, 50% reduction for 2nd week of taper with 10 mile long run and 70% for the last week. So from my normal 70 - 75 mile weeks I'll go 50/35/22 over the next weeks, but what works for one doesn't always work for another. I would suggest that you maintain intensity whilst dropping the miles, don't run too easy.

I'm sure somebody will be along with different thoughts in a moment
  • Options
    Hi guys. Just back from my last long run. I done 23 miles and I'm really pleased with my self as I've been suffering with pains in my hip when I go long. I was tempted to do 24 because I felt so good but thought better of it. My time was off my normal pace but as NY will be my first Marathon, I want to enjoy the experience before anything else. Three weeks today, bring it on!
  • Options
    Well done TR,i'm off to do mine now.See you later everybody. How did you get on PUG?
  • Options
    20 miles
    2:21:24 (7:04/mile)

Man, up at 5:30am... drove to Hoylake/West Kirby on the Wirral, then ran back to Ellesmere Port... must be insane... was so quiet and dark, was off it's head...

Felt dreadful for the first 5 mile and worst of all, it's got loads of hills in it as well upto 7 mile... still worked my way through it..

Wore exactly what I'll be wearing in NY Marathon, Nike Vaporfly's, Orange Multiple Sclerosis Vest (Bright Orange just like my club vest)... Club running shorts with my Hilly Socks.. just to test everything out... perfect... slight rubbing on my foot, caused a slight blister but nothing to worry about... felt very strong for the last 2-3 mile and could easily have carried on which is what I wanted form this run.

Didn't even have any breakfast... just a Mars Bar in the car on the way to Hoylake... stopped off at a Shell garage at 13 mile for a drink then carried on...

So... what do I think? I'm happy... this 20 mile was 11 minutes slower than my previous one on the same course 4 weeks ago.. however, diodnt want this one quick, and had a blinder a few weeks ago... well happy to be honest... quicker than I thought I'd go at that time in the morning... everything looking fine, couldn't feel the hamstring, however, I only feel that when I'm running in the 6:xx's per mile... however, looks like it's going away (fingers crossed).

Trail Runner
    Awesome stuff... that's alot of miles... feels fantastic to have it done and susted don't it...

Rowan
    Hope you have a good one to finish on today matey... fingers crossed for ya son ;-)

Good luck to everyone else doing there last long run of the campaign....

Pug

• Options
    also, just realised that's 68 mile for the week, not a bad finish considering...

Pug
  • Options
    ...also just realised if I kept that pace going which I could've, it'd have got me a 3:05:07 Marathon Time this morning... WOW :-)

Pug