Options

Garmin Forerunner 305 problems anyone else ?

Comments

• Options
    The watch bit should work ok I wouldn't use the auto pause during the race though check your time with the mile markers and if the forerunner isn't working properly forget about it, it'll just irritate you relax and enjoy your run.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Kaski
    would it annoy you, to wear a bog standard Sports Watch with a facility to get mile splits, on the other wrist. It would give you something to do each mile! Press a button, just like you used to before getting the Garmin!!! But wear the Garmin of course and hope it does it's stuff.
  • Options
    Oooooooh only had it since August - read all this site and wore a sweat band under it from the start. No problems to report really though it did go a bit weird when I ran over the finishing chip mat at Cardiff Marathon on Sunday and it registered a weird speed/distance for a second. Hope I have not jinxed myself by saying its okay though.
  • Options
    mrs all buzzed out

don't worry someone from my club also has had it for a while (ok, she is on her second, but still) and she is really happy with it. I firmly believe that there are working garmins out there, too! :)

hope it didn't spoil your marathon
  • Options
    Oh no way did it spoil it. It bleeped beautifully every mile - was pretty much on target with the mile markers that I managed to spot at Cardiff - it was brilliant to see all my splits afterwards - and I absolutely LOVE looking at the graphs on my pc afterwards too. My running Buddy had one for about 4 months before me and hers has been fine too. I got onto this site cos I was researching it before spending all those bunces on it. Initially couldnt download onto it but on this site got advice on how to get more up to date software and then do a full system reboot and all has been wonderful ever since.

I just wish I could find something that would attach it to my bike now too!!!
  • Options
    redlion sends a free timex bikemount with each new garmin forerunner 305

they also sell it sep. for 5 pounds

http://www.redlionsports.co.uk/item--T5F941-Timex-Bike-Mount--T5F941

(sorry don't know how to do links)

maybe someone has used these before?
  • Options
    Ceal

I think I will do that
    1.) to ensure that I record my proper time
    2.) to check the 305 and see how far out it is.

Nice to know that there others out there who have had no problems. I checked mine for tarnishing and it seems ok but will get a sweatband just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Scary Fairy
    Just wanted to say a great big THANKYOU for the info on the bike mount. I ordered one that day from Redlionsports and it came the next day and it is EXACTLY what I needed. Out on my bike with my Garmin for the first time now tomorrow morning WHEY HEY x
  • Options
    cool, I might get one myself!
    cheers
    R
  • Options
    Went out with 305 number 3 which worked perfectly fingers crossed it stays that way!!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Good Luck John
  • Options
    How is your thingy working John?

I also started to use my n.3 (after a bit of fighting with the royal mail. no kidding), works like a dream (2xtest runs), let's hope won't turn again into a nightmare!

fingers, toes, whatever, crossed!
  • Options
    Any advice on alternatives to Garmin? I had convinced myself enough to part with the £215 for the 305 up until I started reading this thread. Now I'm seriously not into the idea of getting the 305 but really want the HR monitor so don't want to simply get the 205. Any advice would be great.

Cheers
  • Options
    [whisper]

Sun Tzu

The Polar S625X is very good.

[/whisper]

(runs away)
  • Options
    Against all advice, I caved in. I am now the proud (for the moment) owner of a Garmin 305. For how long I will let you know!
    Bought it from Sweatshop so got the £80 voucher :-)

FYI:
    Freephone # for Garmin Europe is:

Local = 01794519944
  • Options
    I am due a two hour run in the hills today as part of mt London Marathon training unfortunately my Garmin 305 which I have had for 8 months packed up for the second time yesterday, so I will have to send it back again.
    I am concerned that in a few moths it wil be out of guarantee and that it could pack up at any time once it is out of guarantee and £300 is alot of money to pay for only 12 months use. Has this happened to anyone and have Garmin been of any help
  • Options
    HELP!! My boyfriend has just bought me a 305 which I ammost chuffed about. However he bought it from the states to save shed loads of money - HOWEVER he didnt think about the charger and the differences in voltage etc. Has anyone else bought theirs from the US and if so how did you overcome this? I called somewhere I found through google and she says that they sell spare chargers but that that might not work for mine as mine will be geared up for 12volts wheras UK is 240 and might blow it up!! Said I might need a converter to step down the volts but she wasnt sure and said I should speak to Garmin

Phoned Garmin but their offices are closed - message states that they close at 5.30pm and its only just gone 5pm. Will try again tomorrow but any advise would be much appreciated

Thanks
  • Options
    Jelly Bebe
    I've never used (I don't think!) the charger, I always charge it up through the usb cradle - that might be an alternative?
  • Options
    I never use the charger. It is just as easy to charge through your USB lead. I connect it to the cradle, download to the programes that I use to read the data and then disconnect. After using it for a year I have not dropped lower than four bars on the battery indicator by doing it this way.
  • Options
    There's a charger ? Why ?
    As Lisa Fox and others have said use the USB cable.
  • Options
    cheers guys Ill do that - will get it charged up and ready to go and hopefully wont have some of the problems I have read about, Will give it a bash tomorrow and will report back!!
  • Options
    If you take a charge from the USB cable:
    No probs from a PC, although it could take a bit longer to charge from empty than the mains charger.
    If you're doing it from a laptop, make sure the laptop is on AC power and not battery. Otherwise you end up with TWO expensive pieces of kit with flat batteries.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Just a note of warning with charging through the USB port. If you have other devices connected to this port it can create problems as the power from the port is limited. I would recommend if you are going to charge it through the USB port make sure that it is a dedicated port.
    I had problems when I connected a USB hub to a port and then connected my Garmin to the hub. I had other things connected to the hub.
    Mick
  • Options
    At the end of a race last week (3rd race in 3 days) my 305 went bonkers, windows flashing on and off and wouldn't stop.

Eventually it went off and wouldn't switch back on.

Tried hard reset and nothing.

Charged it up, and found now it will only switch on when connected to the PC.

Tried reinstalling all software via webupdate.

Hard reboots do bothing, deleted all data >3 months old, but still only works when connected to PC.

Anyone else had this?

Any ideas?

• Options
    John I'd be intrested to hear what resolution you have had to this, about a month and a half ago mine powered off during a race and has never come on since, I have been travelling and now need chase Garmin to honour their warranty unfortunatly I on;t have the receipt any more - mine also does not respond when docked, it poweres up when attempting to reset but will not allow me to use it (it switches off the moment I release any buttons) is yours fixed?

• Options
    I contacted Garmin Europe and they suggested I post it back, I mentioned I thought it was out of warranty.

So I posted it back monday and wednesday a replacement arrived by courier! Didn't charge a penny. Didn't ask for a receipt. It look < 48 hours and no quible. The papers from Garmin said "known fault".

I was gob smacked, and very impressed with Garmin service.

They were equally good when the heart strap failed at 11 months.

I'd contact them asap if I were you.

• Options
    Thanks for your response, will chase them first thing monday, it really is a great piece of kit aside from this.
    I hope I get similar service from them

Thank you.
  • Options
    Apologies in advance for possibly dumb question of the day but......does the 305 have a clock and can it be used as a watch when not in full use as a HR mon/GPS?

Reason I ask is that I am thinking of getting one to replace my Nike Triax HR mon which I use as a watch when not running. I know it is not comparable with 305 but just wondered if it had a 'watch mode', that is providing you dont have to recharge it after 10 hrs as batt life states.
    Cheers
  • Options
    It's a little bulky to use as a watch, (it's really not the most practical thing to have strapped to your arm all the time) it is a gps unit that straps to your arm not a watch.
    And it does need recharging after 10-11 hours use no matter what. Great training aid though!.