Sub 3

Comments

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    hi all!  just popping in to say to CW - if u get yourself near the front at the london 10,000 it seems a fast race to me (not that i have raced loads of 10kms) but i've done all my sub 35min ones at that one.  And as CD says maybe a slightly slower first mile isn't end of world. i will give it another bash but not going to be that fast this time.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Interesting to hear the thoughts on the Bupa 10k.

I only did it once, in 2013, having put in 34.43 and 34.30 at Chichester in Feb, and Eastleigh in March respectively.

For Bupa 10k, I put in the same average pace as at Eastleigh, but it came out 35.07.
    Not sure if the course was long, or I took a non ideal route.

But speaking it over with a guy who coached a guy who did just over 30 mins the same year, he was convinced the course had changed to be a bit long - as his guy had previously hit sub 29 and low 29s before...

But who knows - non ideal racing line, dodgy GPS track, slightly less fit/hard racing...impossible to tell off such little evidence?

Anyone done it recently care to judge on distance? You'd have thought the big races would get it right - but after some of the NW short courses at big races the last few years - who knows!
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! I might yet do it (the Vitality 10K) as a fun day out.
  • SG - I ran a decent time (for me) there last year so I doubt it's long.  Given where it is I wouldn't put any reliance on GPS measurements at all.  It's quite hard to take the ideal line early on, but arguably it's quicker taking a slightly wider (and clearer) line round the corners than mixing it with the crowds on the inside of the bend.

If the weather is good it's a fun day out CW - we usually have a decent club turnout and find somewhere for a bit of lunch afterwards.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Jools - whatever HM you do, it will be a marker and a motivator.

Padams - yes one more big week (this week).

SG - lordshill 10k is 30th June, not sure if thats a good day for you but it should be quick, the lordshill 10m used to be.

15m yday evening, 10m inc 6m MP this morning.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Will have a look TR, but always a little cautious about mid summer races over 5k these days!

Having said that, I do find myself doing Endure 24 1 couple of weeks before, but that's a matey "experience" type job isn't it :)

Shame that clashes with the Gosport Golden Mile/5k, but will aim to get down for one of the other 5ks. Failing that, I must make that Victory 5 again, although a different course - but I am "Hopeful" about the way they state it's the same course as last year because of the sea defences not being sorted yet....That suggests they WILL go back to the Mountbatten centre track eventually?

Dave - am sure you're right...

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    LS21 - Hopefully your now on the road to full recovery. Fingers crossed.
    Padams - Sounds like some nice runs you had there.  
    Jools - Great to see the consisently consistent returning - nice one. 
    TR - Ticking over nicely.  Make sure your fresh and feeling 100% for Yeovil.
    Menn - Yes you will place well with that speed. Getting close now!  
    Getting back slowly from my April marathons, with 6m fastish last night and hopefully a 50m week this.  Taken the offer of a free/ elite place (really!) for the Swansea half in 6 weeks time which neatly coincides with picking-up sons stuff from its Univ so will give the next month or so a focus - which I tend to need.
  • Essex EagleEssex Eagle ✭✭✭
    Logging some solid sessions TR - following your training for Yeovil with great interest. And that of the Edi marathoners. 

I've been slowly building back up since Brighton - had a week off, then 21, 34 and 35-mile weeks since. Wouldn't have thought I'll go much beyond that this summer until I crank it up for a HM in Oct. 

Our club training was taken by double Olympian (and 2:08 marathoner) Paul Evans last night. Fun session and got to bend his ear for 20 minutes in the bar after!
  • Hi All - Loved the London reports, some cracking races in there, especially CD and Baines. I was at the Red Lion for a couple of hours but don't know/recognise anyone enough to say hi!

Noticed the Vitality 10,000m mentioned. Have done it the last 5? years, but going for the masters mile champs this year instead. Try as hard as you can to get near the front, as Trafalgar sq on the way out is a nightmare! It seems to get skinnier through there each year.

And although it's great that club runners get free places, the slower ones don't always go to the back of the pen, so you end up trapped. Put it this way, 2 years ago there was someone with helium balloons tied to her hair in front of me, that kept bobbing in my face. An indication that the start isn't going well :)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - no idea re victory 5 route, i dont run it. I think its been at the lakeside 5k area recently, so should be more sheltered than the old route and potentially quick.

OO - nice one on the 1/2, good target without the marathon miles pressure. Last big week here.

EE - yes, i still have the sub3 fire burning, i hope i get it done at yeovil as i need to stop marathon training for a while before Abo training starts, but i will have a shorter Abo build up.

10 last night, 10 inc 6 mp this morning, i even felt like i could have done a bit more mp today than the 6, although not much more i bet. Which i dont usually think is possible.
  • Sounds promising TR. You planning a three week taper then?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - i must add that im only aiming to average 6.50s but the early miles arnt flat so are slower. Im revising my 6.45 times table at the mo, if its comfy then grest, if its not then i shouldn't be going any quicker anyway. 3 week taper, next week will be 60 something in a 5,15,9(inc 6 mp),5,9(inc 6 mp),5,18.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Howdo all,

Sounds encouraging then TR. I did a 9  mile with 3x1 at MP yesterday and it was slower than the pre valencia run. I do realise that training miles count for jack though, its a week sunday that matters. 

Took a day of Monday.
    chucked my fly knits in the Bin. They aggravate and cause serious heat spots on the balls of my feet over 6 or 7 miles. They caused me real issues at Valencia with no skin left on half of the ball of my foot. Had to stop to put my foot in a river at mile 17 on sunday to cool it down.

Borderline overtrained as Im still whacked, but I have done 5 consecutive 20 miler sundays which is way beyond anything ive done before, Think i might have been o vercompensating due to downtime for foot to heal

Hey - Ho, So usual taper nonsense here
  • Sounds like the best thing you could have done with those shoes Mennania - and time to back right off recover, you know there's no training effect from anything you do between now and the race.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Mennania -- ah gosh, I actually advertised for some 'dead' Vaporfly 4%s on the Facebook Sub 3 forum, as I wanted to practise dissecting them a bit to figure out if I could take away some heel material without damaging them. However, I've ordered some used ones on eBay now that I should actually be able to run in, if I don't wreck them with my experiments. Hope the taper makes it all come good, anyway!

TR -- very promising on MP feeling comfortable.

I decided to enter the Vitality 10K last night rather late, but didn't actually attempt it until this morning. Whereupon it was full, so I've entered a local race instead on that day. Ah well, serves me right for leaving it so late.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Mennania - Those 5 * 20 milers will do the trick.  Time to have a really good rest week now.  Ahhh, my Flyknits have just arrived! 
    TR - I would think about chucking a couple of faster miles into that training week, maybe on one of the MP days add 3*1 miles at MP-15/20 secs?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    OO.. ooh get you, an elite place at the Swansea half!  Hope the build up goes well.
    Menn.. I had to lol at chucking £200+ trainers in the bin.  I do avoid shoe hype wherever possible and stick to what I know.  Best of luck with the taper.
    Charlie.. I'm not keen on thick soles and chunky heels either, makes me feel like Noddy Holder!
    TR.. hope it all comes together for you at Yeovil, training seems to be on target.  Seems like Pompey huffed & puffed to no avail last night.  My BIL and his lad are both Sunderland fans so they were cracking open the beers, they still can't quite believe they are in that division! 
    A slight setback here.  After 11m Sunday and an easy 5m Monday I ran my local 10k race on Tuesday night.  I really struggled throughout and barely got above MP.  On top of that my quads and hamstrings have been a bit sore since then, maybe I've caught Charlie's doms infliction :o   Possibly my fault for doing too much then racing 2 weeks after VLM on my old legs.  Got out for 20m on the bike today which does seem to have helped shift some of the stiffness. 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Presume they're the £70 version Menn's chucked so no good for you CW
    Top mileage TR

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Mennania - how many miles had you done in the 4%s?
    I can't tell from what you write, whether you've been using them in 20mile training runs? Or whether they caused such issues in your marathon you're still massively affected now?
  • Have been catching up on 3 weeks of threads and really inspired by the had slogs at VLM.

It’s been a ‘fun’ recent few getting ready for Liverpool, 26 May. After 2 months of rebuilding, I got the complete all-clear from the Physio on my hip impingement, back to no noticeable strength imbalance and zero pain. It’s been a long road, every evening for up to an hour on stretching and strength exercises, so we were both was delighted. Did the 3-week-out long run, 25 miles at 3h02 feeling very comfortable.

Then…THEN! I had to work over the bank holiday weekend and chose to spend it at the kitchen table instead of the proper home office in the shed, broke myself again! My hunching over did my shoulder in. I have been in agony for days. I don’t want to skip sessions in the taper so my 18m last weekend was running the whole time with a pain level 'stitch-like'. ‘It’s only pain’, was my mental mantra to get me round, I was nearly crying in parts but had to be done.

It is finally coming right, slowly, with more physio and evening exercises, so should make it to start line. I am too scared to cost how much I have spent at the physio and the MRI since March!

And I have a bloody head cold today, but I am laughing in its face, least of my problems.

9 more days to go, come on body, hold it together!

• Blimey TGO - hope it all comes good in time.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Menn - hope you cone good in time.

Cw - i hope you got them cheap, as i font think they'll take to being cut up.

OO - will do. I did some mile reps a week or so ago.

TGO - blimey!

Wardi - pompey were top at Christmas but had built their team around 2 midfield loanees that were recalled at Christmas. Pompey didnt win a game for around 2 months after that.

I ordered some flynits earlier too (as they were LT £100 on the nike official site where the refund policy is better), i intend to use them for racing instead of my nimbus after yeovil, as it turns out that they are heavy. If i get 300m out of them then its a lot of races. Must have been out of character for me as the bank denied the payment and contacted me.

I had done 12 double digit days in a row so did just the 5 today.
  • Hope you're back to being 100% soon Wardi.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    TGO - Hope it settles quickly

Its the so good they named it twice zoom fly fly knits that bugger me up. Ill pop a post race foot photo on to show you what they did to me (Its not pretty). @Stevie G Ive got some metatarslagia as a result of it but managed a half on it in March. I get a hot spot on it if I go long on any shoes but th FKs crucify me. Ill be racing in the VF4s - ive never gone past 20 in them but confident they are as good as any. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Metatarsalgia - I think I recall having that once, and it was the only injury that I actively got rid of by putting my feet in as hot water as I could handle, and dramatically wiggling the toes...

Maybe I only had a minor version.

• Sorry not been on for a bit. Good see a lot of the old faces operational and still posting. For those interested I am still operational. I had minor achilles problems which when sorted left me contemplating my relationship with running. With many at my club at a similar age having recurring injury problems so I decided to jack it in. As expected my weight ballooned, but in the last year I have lost 2 stone using my rowing machine. This week I completed a 3.25 marathon on it. Those who know will be able to find me on the Concept 2 rowing rankings. Mrs Dull is doing fine as are the kids. Regards to all on the thread. Dull
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yuk !

23m for me today (3.01), 83 for the week, week 3 (out of 3) done, time to ease back.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good grief Menn it looks like someone has attacked your foot with a cheesegrater!  Ouch.
    Great to hear from you Dull and to learn good health is intact in the family.  Nicely done in the rowing rankings.
    Nice final big week TR, impressive long run today.
    I decided to go along to the local Parkrun as it was my 150th today.  Started cautiously after Tuesday's debacle but my legs felt much better so gradually got into the swing.  7:01, 6:55, 6:55 was reasonably consistent for 21.42 so confidence restored.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Ouch Mennania! 

TR - nicely done. Hope the taper goes well and you nail Yeovil. 

Nice parkrunning Wardi and congrats on the 150th. It's not my thing but inspiring to see so many toeing the line every Saturday.