Sub 3

Comments

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Howdo all,
    Busy busy work week for me has made running a theft of time. Ive done what it says on the tin but begrudgingly and am pretty tired due to long hours, but I am in taper so perfect timing I guess. 
    OO - just had a look at the times from last year, made me feel a bit nervy.
  • It's good to be busy with other things whilst you're tapering Mennania but make sure you get enough sleep.

I managed ten fine yesterday TR but my calf is quite stiff and sore again this morning, hopefully it will wear off quite quickly as I move around, it's usually at its worst first thing.

How are all your niggles OuchOuch?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mennania - I got busy with work during the taper right before Manchester (hasn't abated actually). Stopped me from doing too much if anything. 

LMH - hope the niggle improves. 10 miles on it sounds like it's manageable? 

TR - nice one on the 10 with 6@MP. As I told you, I think these really helped with the running on tired legs as I scheduled thee tempo runs the day before my long run. 

Did some strength work begining of the week, still trying to run properly since. Shock to the system to say the least having avoided all that stuff. Going to try and stick with it. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - an easy time will have done you good.

Menn - good that you still ticked the sessions off.

LMH - those calves must have been pretty damaged. Did you wear any different shoes?

SJ - my legs were rired today for sure, but theyve had a tough week.

24 today (3.10) to complete a double digit-tastic week (12,10,15,10 (inc tempo),10,10 (inc mp),,24. Week 2 (of 3) done.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Big week that TR no wonder your legs are tired. Looking very strong (again). A fair day (weather-wise) and a decent taper should be all you need now for Yeovil. 

• Another 24? What's your thinking with the long, LSRs? Nope, usual shoes, new pair but I'd worn them for a couple of runs including a 20 miler.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    SJ - yes, 1 more week like that and then a 3 week taper.

LMH - cant have been shoes then. Just trying to make sure my legs are used to ~3hrs.

Big game on  tv shortly.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    HI LMH - I used to suffer badly with full calfs until i bought a foot rocker. it seemed to ease them up quite well for me. I just jump on it at any sign of fullness in there now.

Big week that TR. Im sure youll enjoy ther taper when it gets here.

I am jiggered - 10 inc a comedy park run for me. Erddig Is mainly offroad/park and I rann it in road shoes. I was all over the shop, still my sevond fastest time so not too bad.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Is that your local parkrun Menn? It's a tough course with that climb to the finish, did it last September on my way up to the lake district.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    It is @Jooligan, Its not the easiest of courses and i defo had the wrong tyres today! 
  • What's one of those Mennania? Never having had a calf issue before I'm not used to dealing with one. I have had the foam roller, stick and spiky ball at it.

You won't need to be running for more than 3 hours TR!

How are you doing Jooligan?

Calf feels the best it has since London this morning so with four weeks until Yeovil I am going to try a LSR. If that stuffs it again at least I still have time to recover.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Its not dissimilar to heel drops but i find using this gives a more controlled stretch
  • I've never seen one of those before - thank you. It may well be something else to add to my collection of running clutter.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Was that on your mountain menn?

LMH - how did you get on today?

10m easy for me.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That looks curious, Mennania, but if it works...

12 miles for me to bring up 48 for the week.  Although it's kind of tempting to hit 50 next week, I suspect I'm overdue a recovery week after 6 weeks of gradual increases.
  • Run was good thanks TR - but I won't know what the leg thinks until tomorrow morning.

If everything feels ok Joolska I'd go with that.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Jools - getting there! Any race plans?

LMH- it was obviously ok at the time though. How far?
  • It's been fine to run on for a while TR, it's the next morning it complains. A nice progressive 20 this morning.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    TR: BMAF road relays next weekend (3 miles).  Although I've got a few bits and pieces lined up between now and September, really I'm aiming for the Cardiff 10k and Bristol Half in September, as I hope that if I can finally string together 5 consistent months (April-August inclusive) I might be in half-decent shape by then!  Almost certainly still short of PB shape, but I'll settle for being within 10s/mile of pb shape as a good foundation for next year.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

LMH - it worked for me, although the fact that I was doing any stretches at all probably accounts for 90% of the improvement.
    Errdig is only a 10 min drive from my mountain @TR. Theres a few parkruns dotted around here and they are all offroad and twisty and lumpy. I reminded myself of  my utter dislike of 5k runs anyway

Joolska - a nice consolidation week maybe?

was due to be 17 for me today but thanks to a great nights kip and a day off yesterday felt quite dandy so upped to 20 with 5 x 1m at circa MP in the last 10. MP was a little harder than I wiouldve liked though. Plenty of work for the taper to do..

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Hello all. Not been in here for ages but thought I’d pop in as (hopefully) I’m getting back to doing a little bit of running. I was out injured for over 2 years, so LOTS to do!

I think I’ve finally got to the bottom of what my issue is. Many of you will remember when I got hit by a car 4 days before VLM in 2015. Well truth be told I've never been right since then. Always my lower back/SI joint causing issues. I missed VLM 2016 because of it, and I think this is what caused my issues in 2017. The impact of the car hitting me (or me hitting the floor afterwards!) seems to have knocked my pelvis out of line. I’ve been doing lots of work and corrective exercises and (touch wood) I seem to be back doing a little bit. I’ve now managed a 14 day streak after a 739 day streak of not running!

I’m very very very unfit. So pretty much doing Couch to 5k type stuff. But that’s ok. It’s maybe no bad thing either because I’ve had to change the way I run quite a bit. My old ‘style’ gave me instant pain. I couldn’t even manage 100 metres. But if I run much more upright and land on my forefoot I’m just about ok. When I get tired I start leaning forwards again and this is what causes me issues, so I just stop, get my breath back, re-focus and go again. So I might stop 3 or 4 times during a 5k run, but I’m fine with that. I just need to build slowly. 

I’m by no means pain-free either, but I can manage it ok with lots of rehab and stetching. And thus far Running hasn’t made it significantly worse. So we’ll see. Very much taking it day to day at the mo, but it’s just great to be back doing a bit. Even if it’s only 3 miles or so!

Hope everyone else is well!!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joyous news LS21, from little acorns grow & all that.  The hips don't lie of course. :)
    That's a big week in the bag TR, hope it all pays off for you at Yeovil.
    Nice 20m LMH, hope that has loosened the calf muscles up.
    Jools.. good to see you getting a few consistent weeks in without incident or accident.
    Menn.. sounds like an encouraging 20 miler, I always thought sleep was underrated by runners!
    My first double digit run since VLM today, 11.2m totting up 48m for the week  Nice to be able to do it in t-shirt & shorts for a change. B)
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Wardi -- immaculate timing!

LS21 -- so glad to hear you're making progress at last, it must have been horrible. Hope the upwards trend continues apace. We're due in Keswick in Sept by the way, hopefully catch you again at the parkrun and/or your shop.

Nice training TR.

Last year I tried racing a 10K two weeks after VLM. It started fine, then after about a mile my legs let me know it was a stupid idea and I did the rest at worse than MP, sky-high HR. Thought I'd try it again yesterday -- same result, about MP average (38:49 official), so barefly quicker than what I did very comfortably in training a week before VLM as a pace test, that gave me stiff legs today. Maybe I'll learn for next year... But another 10M today up and down the river, because it was just too gorgeous not to.

Anyway, I'm now looking at other summer races. Torn between the London experience again with the Vitality 10K, which some colleagues are doing too, or doing a local one. I think CD has done the Vitality one before and got on OK, but I'm not sure now -- anyone know whether it's realistic to get a clear run there? They ask for an expected finishing time on the entry form, but I don't know if one definitely gets into an early wave based on that, or whether it's congested or not in practice even if you are in a good wave.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - 20 is excellent, you have enough time to get a few more of those in.

Jools - good to have dome targets. Even if you end up running below par times (ive had loads in the last 2 years, since i got back to it) it is motivating to want to get better.

Menn - yes, im sure parkruns are remote for you. I have loads near me but don't join in. Great long run. 

LS21 - good news on the comeback, keep plugging away.

CW - not surprised you struggled, 10k pace is hard esp only 2 weeks after vlm, and given the troubles ypu have with your legs at times.
  • Good to hear that you're back at it LS21. I had to go through running rehab a few years ago and it was much the same - run until I could no longer hold my new form, rest and go again, it worked though. Hope you get a good result.

I think you could surprise yourself Joolska, no reason you can't be back to PB pace by the Bristol Half.

They aren't any worse at the moment Wardi which I'll take for now.

I know that I can't race a 10k two weeks after a marathon Charlie - three and I may be in with a chance. 

Not sure how many more I'll do or need to do TR, mostly depends on how my legs are in the morning but stamina really shouldn't be my issue.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    PB pace is 6.15s: that sounds very fast (I did 4 x 1M yesterday and the fastest one was 6.17...).  And I was rake thin when I ran that HM pb - too thin, when I look back at the photos.
  • Good to see you back at something LS21.  It sounds like you're having to completely remould your running, which I guess might be frustrating at first but better than still being benched.  Good luck with it.

CW - chances of a clear run at the Vitality 10k?  Virtually zero.  You'll be in pen 1 (or you should be) but although most of the people around you will be quick they still manage to get enough slower folk in there as well, many of whom don't then self-seed within the pen and end up at the front.  They do have a narrow choke point at the start to throttle the number of starters, but until you get through the barriers at the end of the Mall into Trafalgar Square it's very difficult to get a clear run.  It can be done though - last year junior & I started next to each other and he nipped up the side of the course to do the first mile 30s quicker than I did, while I sat it a bit more.

I don't mind being held back a little bit in the first mile and I'm not the quickest off the line these days anyway, but others find it frustrating.  It does thin out a little once you're across Trafalgar Square.

Still easing back into running - a couple of easy lunchtime runs with the usual crowd at the office, and parkrun yesterday which surprisingly was my best on the course this year.  Then 50 miles on the bike today, a really nice morning for it.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Menn - shame about being so busy but you're nearly there! Just make sure you are getting enough sleep as LMH said.

TR - 91M for the week? One more of those and then a good taper and you'll be sorted.

LS21 - great to see you pop back in and that you're back running again.

CW - what's that Einstein quote about insanity, something like do the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome?! Anyway, good that you're back running and enjoyed the nice weather.

A better week for me - managed to run every day but still didn't quite reach 50M. Had a nice run with the dog on Saturday morning, virtually all off-road and she was off the lead most of the time (so whilst I did 5M she must have done 7M or so!). Then 10M yesterday - was planning a bit further but my wife got called into work.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    CD -- very interesting, thanks. That does make me lean away from it (the Vitality 10K) rather; having said that, I'm probably not in great 10K form anyway, so I could do it just for the experience. Still haven't figured out weekend plans in general so I'll not enter until close to the Friday deadline, if at all.

Padams -- yes you're right about my insanity in expecting a different result! Nice recent training by you by the way. Well always, really.