Options

Calling ITBS sufferers

Comments

• Options
    Just wondering if anyone has had any success or tried this for an itbs stretch...sitting down, legs crossed, pushing down on knees with elbows?
  • Options
    An excellent stretch
  • Options
    i ('d like to!) think its sorting my knee problem out, im ok doing all other stretches but this is the only one i find difficult to do very tight and a bit painful...also i can feel a bit of a crunch on the outside of my knee at the side, before my knee itself actually clicks (usually above)... but this stretch is improving it alot... anyone had similar problem? been bothering me for almost 4 months, but in the last 2 weeks with this stretch ive noticed major improvements so i am starting to think it could definitely be itbs (although previous itbs stretches did not help me at all only this one)
  • Options
    I used to have similar pain with this stretch when my ITB was really inflamed.
  • Options
    thanks for letting me know steady edwina, can only actually remember my itb being painful on long runs a few times last summer...its never been painful since, and there was a good few months between that and my knee problem...my knee can hurt when i up the mileage or pace, but my itb has never hurt at all apart from on a few extra long runs last summer preparing for the GNR...its only doing this stretch i find it is very tight, will have to see what the sports physio says tommorrow, cheers again...
  • Options
    I think its typical of ITBS to find crossing legs uncomfortable but is a really good position for opening up the hips.
  • Options
    Hi, Just back back from the Consultant and results of MRI Scan :-( Have got a bursa and also thinning of cartlidge under the knee cap which I believe is called chondromalacia. So I've been told I should have a steroid injection by ultrasound to this area and then cut back for approx. two months on my cross training to allow it to heal :-( I will continue swimming and have just started pilates to help core muscles. Other alternative to this he said was to just stop running! Oh well see what happens after the injection. Has anyone had this done before and was it effective.
  • Options
    Deborah, good luck with the treatment. I have not heard of this before so cannot offer advice but going back to the ITB problem, each visit to my physio I was told that my ITB was tight so I had the needle treatment.

As soon as you have recovered from the treatment you need to strengthen your gluts and always stretch your ITB both sides before and after running.

You should ask your physio the best exercises for strengthening but for the ITB stretch I found the cross legged one with one foot on a step the best. Always hold for 15-20 seconds each side x 3. If you’re doing it right you should feel it pull at the side of the knee but feel no pain.
  • Options
    From what I've read inflamed bursas and tight ITBs can be linked.

Agree with the need to strengthen glutes - you should learn some good exercises for this in your pilates class.
  • Options
    I realise this may sound like an advert and it isnt meant to honest! However, i have had ITBS/hip pain for over 3 years. Tried numerous stretches muscle strengthening etc etc. Here are my words of wisdom, for what they are worth! Try getting one of the body toning electric stimulation gizmo's. Put this on your gluts and zap them. This is strange granted but worked for me! Second buy an PainBan x4000, cost me £100 a heck of a lot BUT only 4 visits to the physio. I have been using this thing for the last 2 weeks and it has really helped!
  • Options
    This looks like the easiest way to cure ITBS but surely you still need to strengthen and stretch the gluts.

There is a list of exercises on page 68 of the May Runners World magazine for those who have not seen it.
  • Options
    yes i still do all the various stretches NeverGiveUp. To be sure it may be a combination of all the treatments i do now ie stretches, electric strengthening and the x4000 I'm just happy its finally improving!!
  • Options
    I too am feeling pretty s*it after some time off running- see my thread - gilmores groin, I know how your feeling.
  • Options
    MelbasMelbas ✭✭✭
    How did you get on at FLM, KKD and GTG?
  • Options
    Loved it Melbas - I was a little slow as I had to walk/run the last 6 due to the excrutiating pain in my knee everytime I laned, but it didn't hurt when I walked. 5:33:30..got my medal...got my t shirt...never doing it again.

My knee is pretty sore now but I'm starting stetches again on Thursday and a cycle and then should be back to running again at the beginning of next week.

How are you getting on Melbas?
  • Options
    GTB well dne for finishing and take it easy you mad goat.
  • Options
    Thanks Edwina - I am taking it easy - not making the same mistake as after the GNR.
  • Options
    X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    HELLO! I did it!!!

We dressed up as St Trinians and had a BALL!! We walked most of it, ran bits, high-fived people and worked the crowds, stopping for some bubbly at mile 17. :-D

7 hours 6 mins of sheer fun and pain. The knee held out though and I'm absolutely delighted. Thanks for all the support. Now to try and stop everything hurting and then I'll get the knee properly fixed.

Many, many congrats to all who finished. What a race in that heat and the 4 mile walk to the startline due to the broken trains!!
  • Options
    KKD - I saw you!!! there were three of you...my husband came in just after you in the yellow hawaiian shirt and shorts...walking after his knee went...congratulations girl!!
  • Options
    I was standing on the corner of St James park waiting for hubby to come in...we really need to wear something so we recognise other forumites at these events
  • Options
    Well done KKD and Grumble - you did it!! Hope the legs are all doing ok today!
  • Options
    There was a bloke dressed up as a schoolgirl with a hockey stick interviewed on telly - was he anything to do with you KKD?

Seriously everyone well done for taking part and finishing. I felt tired watch it but I did manage to run over my HM course in preparation for the end of May - couldn't imagine running that distance twice.
  • Options
    Thank you Bella - legs are feeling ok just a little achey.
    Good luck steady - sure you will be fine on the day. Halves and full Marathons are long long way but the crowds make it go by so much faster.
  • Options
    Been refered to physio for ITB treatment, but not until June! ease of running until then, yeah right like thats gonna happen....

Thought i might go for a "run until it hurts my knee in the hope that it gets less pain and more distance each time" strategy

Anyone tried this, or am i stuck with cycling (which curiously doesnt aggravate the ITBS)

I am entered for the great south run, they aint gonna let ne bike round!
  • Options
    Flateric - cycling worked for me - it didn't aggrevate my itbs at all. Are you using the roller and working on your gluteus?
  • Options
    Roller what roller?
    <rummages around thread looking for roller>

i used to cycle lots before i started running, i have a turbo trainer but only really use that in winter.

will be cycling for a few weeks i think until the knee strengthens and settles down.

So question, milage on a bike, will that improve running milage?
  • Options
    A foam roller or I use a rolling pin with a towel around it - it really does help.

Cycling is 4 times less than running so a 12 mile bike ride would be the equivalant of a 3mile run, although you do need to push on and get up a sweat not cycle slowly if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Flateric what GTG means by the roller is that you lie on the roller on your affected side and you use it to massage and release your ITB. It will be really painful but that means you've hit a tight spot and you need to do lots of daily stretchg as well.

You can either buy a firm foam roller like they use in pilates ,or a rolling pin wrapped up in tea towels or a tennis ball.
  • Options
    I don't lie on the roller...I pressure roll the roller on my itb whilst I'm lying on my side.
  • Options
    Some techniques vary I alway found it easier to apply more pressure by lying on my ball and moving it around the tight areas.