Options

Calling ITBS sufferers

Comments

• Options
    I sit a desk all day at work and I was wondering should I be sitting with my legs at 90 degrees or stretched out (with a slight bend at the knee).
  • Options
    Hi - you should really keep them straighter than bent but you need to keep them moving every so often.
  • Options
    Mark - do you have itbs? just read your blog and you seem to be flying at the moment.
  • Options
    Sitting at a desk all day is not good - you should get up every so often and stretch and move around. Avoid eating your lunch as your desk as well.
  • Options
    I think it was the flying bit at the 10km that made me notice it as it was sore after this even a few days later running easy at 10mm pace.
    I do get up from my desk and walk around making the tea.
  • Options
    So you are an Ipswich Town supporter?
  • Options
    Never mind it could be worse you could support Leeds!
  • Options
    Hi again everyone

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is OK to use the stepper in the gym while you have itbs? I have no pain at all going upstairs (only downstairs and on the level). Just getting a bit bored of the cycling and worried that, although it doesn't hurt at the time, it might not be helping.
  • Options
    ITBS is the bain of my life at the moment!!! Have been banned from running by the doc and am having some sport physio but still no go. I have been told, by the doc and sports physio that any other activity is fine. Its the pounding and the way the leg moves when running that exacerbats IT problems. Running been out of bound for at least 3months and can see it being another 3 before i get going. Apparently, but i am yet to find out, ultrasound on affected area can be good!
  • Options
    Hi Lorraine, Not sure I could take 6 months without running!! That's interesting that you've been told any other activity is fine. Does your knee hurt when you're just walking around?
  • Options
    Hello! Mmmmm, I think I have ITBS - started last week on a training run, rest seemed to sort it out so did my planned half mara on Sunday - seems to have been a bad idea...in lots of pain now - outside of knee and all the way up to the hip. Is this an acute thing that will settle down or am I now on the bench? Got a 10k on Sunday I really want to do but can hardly walk at the mo -especially stairs!

Any ideas on what triggers this?
  • Options
    Lorraine - it shouldn't have taken you out for 6 months complete non running - have you had an mri scan?
    Accident Ali - have alook at this http://www.itbs.info/ and it will explain all..good luck
  • Options
    I had an MRI scan because the orthopaedic consultant did no know what the problem was. Strange how you can pay an expert £450. to be told he didn’t know what a common running injury is. The scan showed nothing and I now have about 150 xray pictures of my knee in the cupboard.

Ferdy, I found cross training and step machine did not aggravate the problem so try it and if it hurts stop, if not continue. My recovery was 3 ½ months but this was because of the time it took to see doctors, consultants, have scans and 6 weeks physio. You should also strengthen your gluts and stretch your ITB (both legs) when recovered as mentioned previously in this forum. I had ultra sound at the physio and this helped.

Ali, I tried running a full marathon with ITBS that started a week before but only got 2 miles and had to walk the rest and after it was very painful. I’m afraid it’s lots of rest and professional treatment for you if you want to be able to take part in races in the future.
  • Options
    So is there a different diagnosis to lateral knee pain? it started in my case with a lateral pain that builds up during running. i normally over pronate and have a new pair of shoes now.

no other treatment, occasional stretches and started running again, increasing distance and the pain has all but gone.

making me wonder was it in fact ITBS or the result of running in the wrong shoes.
  • Options
    ITBS is often linked to uncorrected biomechanics flateric. Sometimes ITBS can cause pain in the hip as well as the outside of the knee and can also be associated with other conditions such patella maltracking.
  • Options
    Nevergiveup - I tried the stepper last night and it started to hurt almost straight away so I stopped. I'm doing exercises to strengthen my glutes and hip abductors and loads of stretching. I also bought one of those foam rollers and I use it everyday.

I'm going to see my podiatrist tomorrow to see if there is a problem with my orthotics.

Ali - I'd give the 10K this weekend a miss. I've pretty much resigned myself to not racing this summer at all :-(
  • Options
    I've just to been to see a new chiropractor - he was recommended because he is also a runner.

I've often felt a sense of uneveness in my gait whilst running and at my last monthly sports massage I complained my knee was niggling again. Therapist thought I looked slightly uneven.

Anyway chiropractor agreed I was slightly uneven on my left side. Also having problem with left shoulder. So just had lots of manipulation to straighten me out. I do feel a sense of increased mobility.
  • Options
    After gait analysis it seem if it was my new shoes causing the problem.
  • Options
    Which shoes were you /are you in now AATTB?
  • Options
    I went to the FLM Expo show and did a scan gait check and was told I needed Neutral shoes and then I went to the Asics one who do a video gait check with different shoes (which I found amazing to watch) and was told I wear the correct shoes as with them I don't over/under pronate which you could actually see for yourself, didn't really help much as on the day I struggled the last few miles although this is probably due to the sheer miles. When I went to see the orthopeadic guy at the hospital he told me quite seriously that the body is not made to take the thrashing of a marathon...I think he may be right in my case:O).
    Thought I would do a small run today (1.5miles ) and my knee was uncomfortable but not painful, so another week off and lots of stretching etc - meant to be doing the Woodhall Spa 10 k in 2 weeks
  • Options
    Hey Guys and Girls, can I jump in? I've been diagnosed with ITBS and also advised that I should have go down the orthotics route... Not really been able to train for almost 6 months now and I think I might go mad if I can't get back to it soon.. Does anyone know of a good podiatrist/clinic in central London? I'm at the point where, if I have to splash the cash to get a good result, I'll do it, but I'm also wary of getting totally ripped off..
  • Options
    CeeBee, if you can make it to West London (near Kew Gardens Station on the District Line) I know a very good physio. She fixed my ITBS and gave me lots of advice on exercises to stop in happening again and 7 months later completed a half marathon and 10 months later completed my first marathon.

The web site is http://www.kewphysiotherapy.co.uk/ and the treatment rates are very reasonable
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip! I will bear it mind!

Actually I had an back injury some time ago, that was affecting the femoral nerve in my other leg, and it was suggested it was due to the high impact nature of ruinning, so I had extra cushioning insoles put in my trainers..

It was after this that the ITBS started, and thinking about this yesteday, I wondered if these might be the culprit.

I removed them from my trainers last night and managed at 10 min jog with no pain at all...

Do you think that something as insignificant as that could be the source of the problem? I've never had ITBS before, just since I've had these cushioning insoles....
  • Options
    Hi CeeBee - sorry to hear about your ITBS. I've had custom orthotics since last december and didn't have any problems with my IT band before that but I don't know if there's a connection (and they did solve the patellar tendonitis I had in the other knee).

Went back to my podiatrist this morning - I was in and out in 5 min and she didn't even look at my knee! She's going to put a bit more cushioning in my orthotics but I'm not convinced it will help. She also told me to go back on the icing and anti-inflammatories. In a fit of panic and desperation, I've just made appointments with a different physio for acupuncture AND a Sports clinc that my local university operates.
  • Options
    I never thought I'd say it, but it does get to the point where you'll just about try anything and everything, and pay anything, to get back into it!
  • Options
    Ceebee, strengthening gluts and stretching ITB before and after running has stopped mine from reoccurring. If you don’t belong to a gym I suggest you join one as this is the best way to strengthen all the muscles used in running and you can also get advice from the people who work there.
  • Options
    just gone on this thread as I am feeling pretty miserable because I have had ITBS for a month now - finally went to Physio this week who has given me several exercises to do - but of course cannot get me fit in time for Great Manchester Run on Sundayt!!! never thought I would get so upset about not being able to run - trouble is I thought I was invincible!!!!! well will keep on with the exercises and it has cheered me up reading your posts
  • Options
    Nevergiveup - I do my exercises at home and it works and savesanother load of money - plus I'm not a great fan of gyms.
    I do:
    Clams
    Side, front and back leg lifts and the following too:

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_xknee-il_art.htm

these are the receommended exercises.

Good luck:O)
  • Options
    "never thought I would get so upset about not being able to run"
    I completely understand Manc Girl. I went to my running club's meeting last night and then sobbed my heart out in the car all the way home. I don't know whether it was all the talk about upcoming races that I'm not going to be fit for or the woman who told me how she hasn't been able to run for two years. Surely it's not normal to get this upset about not being able to do a sport?!

There is some really good advice on this thread though (I'm slowly making my way through all 38 pages) and it's good to be able to talk to people who understand.