Options

Calling ITBS sufferers

Comments

• Options
    I have been waiting in vain for my Pattstrap to arrive, running out of time as New Forest Half Marathon this Sunday. Problem with suppliers or something so not going to get it in time. Went into a panick and ordered McDavid multi-action knee support, guaranteed next day delivery!
    Has anyone tried one of these? Looks almost identical to the Cho-pat strap though, hope I have better luck with it than you Pit Stop, sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Can't bring myself to drop out as have been looking forward to this all summer!
  • Options
    Good luck with your marathoin run-free. I'm off to Ireland tomorrow - I've packed my running shoes just in case......shhh don't tell the OH.
  • Options
    Blimey Edwina,Half Marathon not the full marathon! Have a good time in Ireland, I was there a few weeks ago visiting relatives and had really good weather!!!.
    McDavid Knee support arrived today, good service but totally wrong product for me, felt so restrictive. Are you really supposed to be able to run in these? I am begining to think it would be better to just strap up my leg with an elastic bandage and hope for the best.
  • Options
    Pattstrap update:

this week did 3 x 4 milers with some speedwork, then yesterday took the plunge and went for a 12 mile run.
    no problems, at 7 1/2 miles the knee felt a little tight for about 1 mile then that went, finished ok, no after-effects.

i am alternating the Pattstrap with a strap made by Futuro which is a bit more substantial and enables more tension to be applied but i can't find a website for it so apologies-it's american made and comes from a parent company called Bieirsdorf or similar, still using Voltaren gel, still stretching.

i am aiming for the carlisle half then the snowdonia marathon when we come back to the uk for a visit in oct so here's hoping-what are everybody else'e aims?
  • Options
    Hey can I join in please???

Got ITBS last year on a 10 k and nearly a year and several £££100's later I am now not running, I have seen a pod (and bought v expensive orthotics) a sports therapist who losened off ITB, an osteopath who sorted out my back, and finally an NHS physio who at the moment has got me sorted pain wise once and for all...
    I severely overpronate and my ankles roll in, causing knee and bad back pain. She said that the orthotics I paid for were excellent and advised to have orthotics in all my footwear. have got several excercises to do x2 daily and so far my back is ok, which I can only think tht if I am brave enough I can get out for a plod pain free too.

I have only worn my orthotics once running and I still got pain so I threw them in the cupboard and have not got them out since.

I think I need to go back to basics and start run/walk as I had only been running for 12months before i got struck down.

But sympathies all round its horrid and painful and bliddy annoying.

(wha a ramble I am sorry)
  • Options
    Welcome Swannys missus - did you build up to wearing your orthotics slowly - mine have really sorted out the pain in my right knee. I used to get pains as soon as I started running but no now (fingers crossed)

I went out for a run/walk round Dingle Harbour yesterday . No pains and felt really fantastic - wore the pattstrap on my left leg - I'm not convinced it provides enought tension. For me the magic time is 30 mins for ITB pains to appear and I haven't got that far yet.

I've had some new pains around my heals and ankles and I'm assuming this is to do with getting used to my orthotics - they didn't last very long.

Back really ached travelling to Ireland but its been much better last couple of days. Have to really concentrate on my posture.

My left hip still feels a little odd after a run - will book myself in for a massage session when I return home next week.
  • Options
    Survived the New Forest Half Marathon in one piece, stopped at every water stop (which were frequent) to give my knee a rest. After the disaster of not getting Pattstrap or other knee support in time just used elastic bandagy type of thing and painkillers and it got me through. Knee suffering a bit today though but not half as bad as I thought it would be.
  • Options
    run free - well done ! what distance have you been getting the pain up till now?
  • Options
    Hi CS,

Adull ache would start about 10 mins into the run and then leg would get progressively tighter as I went on. Pain started about 3-4 miles. I have been stretching twice a day and taking ibufrofen also had 2 week layoff before the half marathon.
  • Options
    SE, I probably did not 'wear in' orthotics enough before I went out running in them , but this time I am going to do it. I soooo enjoyed running and really want to get back out there but suffered so much I want to get it right, and as I have been layed off for so long a few more weeks wont hurt!!

I tried pattstrap, the one I used used to curl up and feel uncomfortable so I stopped using it.

My pain used to come on about 3 miles in.
  • Options
    Hello all!
    Swannys- like Edwina I had to wear my orthotics in very gradually or else they just made other things hurt!

I have just been back to my physio for a bit of a chat, and he thinks the knee surgeon is the next best bet for me.
    Am totally gutted as only running once a week for about 20mins at the mo. ITBS has now had me out of running for around 5 months and so feeling very down about it all. Just dont understand as step and combat class seems to be fine, and dont want to have to give up surgery.

Chocolate e-clairs here I come...... :-(
  • Options
    I just wanted to join in and say that I've got it too - second time round that is and the first time I got ITB problems it wasn't from running it was from coming down Ben Nevis.

This time round I had no idea it was coming on did my speedwork at the gym on a totally flat treadmill and hey presto the next day I can't walk! I've had pain for a month now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better - it does get you down as all I want to do is go out and run (why is it that you want to run you can't but when you are fit and well you just don't feel like it).

Grrrrrrrrrr to ITB!
  • Options
    WB- I agree with you, am now just desperate to go out and run. But I have lost the motivation as am double guessing whether it is going to hurt or not. Cannot seem to get brain over thought of how much is going to hurt, then or next day.

• Options
    Hey Choccy it's mad isn't it.

I ran on Sunday and felt fine when I got up on Monday so I went to the gym and went on the cross trainer for just 20 minutes and today it hurts when I walk....
  • Options
    WB- it is just SO frustrating!!!
    I have found that the only thing I can do without pain is step and combat, which the physio cannot explain at all.

But I will run for a bus, and be in agony for days!!!!

I think it is choccy-eclairs all day long at the mo!!!
  • Options
    Sorry sloth meant to reply earlier. Came on during 10 mile last year October. Can't relly say too much other than I had to stop, took to bike, back to running about two months later.

Pattstrap has been great but it cannot help on a steep downhill, blew up spectacularly on a steep downie G3 training and you try hopping at 10mph.

Walk down hills now.

But overall, if balanced with bike and a Pattstrap, it can stay just about in check.

Hoping to try a mara in December, a flat one.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Been walking up and down hillls today so knees a little sore but no so sore I can't walk!!!

My patt strap gets twisted when I wear it as well. I'm sure its just psycological!!!

Swany's Missues I was advised to spend two weeks getting used to my orthotics before runing in them and to build up to wearing them slowly. I've gradually been introducing some running into my walking.

I'm thinking of trying run 5 mins walk 1 min tomorrow.
  • Options
    Pattstrap update: this week did
    mon 6 miles
    tue 6 miles
    wed 4 miles
    thur 7 miles
    fri rest
    sat 20 miles
    still using voltaren emulgel , stretching frequently.
  • Options
    I've not really go on with my pattrap its gets twisted too easily. I noted on another site that Cho made a wider strap. However I haven't run for long enough continously to find out if the ITBS is still there. Mine always came on around 30 mins and although I've covered distances of 3-4 miles that's using run/walk technique.

I'm curretnly running for 7 mins and walking for 2 mins. Theres been some tension in my hips mostly due to tight abductors and quads - anyone know any good quad stretches the usual standing one doesn't do it for me?

Apparantly my ITBs are still tight but as its a tendon there is supposed to be some tension as long as it doesn't start to rub my knees.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Pattstrap finally died at 14 miles today. Limp/walk/spazzo run for 5 miles. Ow F**king ow.

This first marathon in December ain't gonna happen like this.

The beans were there (just at a push), but the pain is intense.

I could have gone on from 18 miles to 26, the knee is a no no though, unles I pack up trotting for months after and justmuller it on the day.

• Options
    Dustboy - poor you. It sounds to me like trying to train for a mara in December is now out of the question. You've got to get it sorted - mara training will only make it worse and then who knows how long it'll go on for? I've had various injuries since Feb which have basically stopped any kind of proper training happening - ITBS is just the latest and am now doing the same as SE, namely a run/walk routine to try to get back into running gradually. I'm only up to about 2-3 mins run/1 min walk though.
  • Options
    Thx, one glimmer of hope, I have a brand new unused pattstrap in the sports drawer.

Just measured the run, it was 18 miles and the last 3 were very wobbly with run 100 walk 300 yards.

Curiously, got pain on outside of ankle too, no idea where that one came from.
  • Options
    I was told I had ITBS after the Isle of Wight marathon and 4 physios and lots of cash later it was still no better. Then found myself a great sports physio who said problem was not what I had been told but posterior cruciate liagament which was causing it all. Two weeks later back up and running with just a light strap!
    After months of pain and really missing running the thought that if the first lot of physios had just told me to do squats and lunges (hate them but they work) then would of saved all that pain
    Good luck Dustboy, Jen and the rest hope your knees better soon
  • Options
    Hi all hope you guys dont mind me joining in. I'm into my 4th week of suffering from ITBS and its geeting me down, especially after watching my running buddy run the Great Eastern Run yesterday. I really wanted to be a part of it and it would have been my first half mara.

I have the Cho-Pat ITB strap which i have found to not really work! It says to put the strap around the leg where the pain is, However my pain is right on he outside of my knee so i had to put the strap just above my knee.

After 4 weeks i still get the pain after a 5 minutes of easy walking.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
  • Options
    Apparently there is. But it can take AGES to shake if you're not careful. If you're still running with the ITBS I'd stop - a patt strap can help get you through an important race but if you're relying on it something's still wrong. I take it you've seen a professional who has told you why you have ITBS in the first place? After 5 mins of easy walking it shouldn't be that bad - does that mean you're in pain most of the time?
  • Options
    Hi Jen - yeh i've seen a physio (7 times in 4 weeks) who has diagnosed me as suffering from ITBS. Ive also seen a podiatrist twice and i hame to Orthotics.

Both the Physio and the Pod are putting the cause down to my bowed legs as well as my feet being at pretty much at full pronation throughout my gait so my ankles arent taking any of the shock.

In terms of treatment i have had ultra-sound, deep muscle manipulation in my knee lower thigh, glutes and lower back.

The pysio then look into my pelvis being the problem as she thought it may be higher on my left side causing my ITB to be permanantly tight.

So thats when she moved on to massaging my lower back and glutes.

Oh and shes tried acupunture in my back side.

I havent run for weeks, i tried a very light "trot" with the strap but only managed a couple of hundred metres before the unbareable pain returned.

Still today i cant walk for more than 5/10minutes without pain. Walking down stairs is a real problem to.

Some days are better than others but generally i feel the pain daily.
  • Options
    Oh and thats after about £310 pounds!

although if i was better that would have been the best £300+ pounds ive ever spent!

However im not!

:(
  • Options
    Are you doing your stretches religiously (like 2 or 3 times a day), icing the ITB, and taking ibuprofen? You could try a foam roller to self-massage it at home (I use a rolling pin wrapped in tea towels!) as that seems to help loosen it off.
  • Options
    I do numerous strethes 2 times a day.
    I ice 10 - 20 minutes at a time every 2 hours from when i get home from work.

I take 400mg of Ibuprofen 3x a day.

The only thing i havent tried is the roller, which im going to have to give a go! Ive also tried a NSAID gel Volteral (SP?) but that didnt seems as effective as the Ibuprofen.

Thanks for the rolling pin and towel idea!!!

I know everyone is different and that we all get ITBS from different causes but is there a general recovery time? because the last 4 weeks have felt like 4months!
  • Options
    Well I don't want to discourage you so I won't tell you how long others I know have been injured with this but I will say that the more rest you give it in the acute stage (i.e. where you are now) the shorter the recovery time seems to be. I've had it for about 2 months and it's only now starting to get better (touch wood), and I'm a long way off being able to resume proper training. If/when you do try running, I would also incorporate some walking. I started doing a very tedious routine called geriatric fartleks which involved a 1min run/1 min walk session. I've learned my lesson and am taking it very slowly so as not to set it off again!