Options

Pooh's Corner

Comments

• Options
    Hi all

I have spent the morning with Mrs BD (Jilly) at the mothers & todlers group she runs.
    With my help, it took nearly an hour to put all the things out:
    Toys, chairs, tables, paints, etc.
    Then the mums, grandmums in some cases, and kids came for an hour during which the mums chatted and drank tea or coffee, and looked after the babies, and the kids ran round and had fun, generally ignored by the mums, until Jilly called them all (most) together for songs, and the mums joined with singing and actions.
    Then they all left, and it took us another hour to pack it all away.
    Some of the kids had done paintings, but all the pictures were just left there unwanted. Sad really.
  • Options
    That is sad - from what I have seen from the couple I went to - it was just an excuse to dump them off and elt them run riot whilst the Mums/grandparents and dads sat around chatting with no sense of responsibilty!

Hope you enjoyed it though does sound fun
  • Options
    BD I used to go to a baby and toddlers on a Monday Morning, its run by Surestart who do the messy play. Its the only group that do tea/coffee. I stopped going because I was stopping Molly taking stuff off other toddlers, butwhen they took toys off Mol no one said anything or stopped them. Some of the other Mums couldn't give a stuff as long as little jonny wasn't in their hair and they could chat. One lady was stopped from leaving her 'little darling' whilst she went out with her coffee for a cigarrette. As Molly was still not on her feet I stopped taking her. The older 3/4yo children who were not at morning nursery tore around unchecked. Was worried she got hurt.

I love Messy play though and I always try to help clear up. We can drink the little ones orange juice, but no tea/coffee. There's only one Mum who is sort of a bit lax with her little one, but he is not really any bother. He gets a bit carried away with the shredded paper. There are no groups on this week as its half term. Would have paid today to go to one.

Grendel I did the controlled crying at 3 ish this morning. She wanted to come in with me. I couldn't face 4 hours of her wriggling about and worrying as Dave not there she would fall out of bed. She cried for me and it was awful when she kept calling Mummy, want. But after 15 mins of going back after 1 min then 2 mins then 3 mins I got it cracked and although I could hear her sobbing now and again she slept until 8.30. It broke my heart and I ended up crying. She usually goes to bed quite well. She is okay to go to sleep as I usually stay up and go on computer or take my bath so she can hear me pottering about. Its just during the night. Something spooks her and she wants nice warm bed with Mummy and Daddy.

But when I went to my craft class she fell asleep again with my hubby on the sofa until 7.30. She only just settled down 15 mins ago. So I am going to have fun in the morning. Going to see my friend before going into town with my mum.

Didn't have anyone to talk to at the craft class. The new people sat in a group by themselves. My usual friends were doing a christmas card class. My other freind is in Kent with M&S. She flew down at 4.30 this morning. So was a bit down when I came in. Tried to get a conversation going, but gave up in the end.

Well I am shattered. Got a long day today. Hubby got Monthly Beekeepers meeting to go to tonight as we have no babysitter. Going to try to get a run when hubby gets in from work in the morning. He can cook the breccie whilst I run. As I won't get out tomorrow night.

Your solicitor like my Health visitor Grendel. Will try once more tomorrow. When my sister in law worked the main reception where HV is based, I knew what was what. Now Sue's friend and an ex-collegue who usually works reception is on Holiday so temp cover clerk hasn't a clue who works what times.

Had a better day. Walked around the garden. picked up some leaves to make pictures and watched cbeebies whilst reading, Floss, fidget and Quilly, Wibbly pig and Poppy Cat books over and over. What will happen when I go to mums today is anyones guess. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    Good luck today will post later -
  • Options
    batmouse - i tried the controlled crying thing and it broke my heart. i couldn't do it; i am in admiration for you.

my messy play is run by local surestart office. there is a class on today but i left it too late to get a place and they were full. had a nice chat with the speech and language therapist; jessica is quite behind on her speech for her age. we didn't know if it was her glue ear but audiologist said probably not. therapist was lovely and gave me a couple of suggestions to work with at home until we get an appointment.

big david - if jess and i came to your group, we would always take her pictures home. it drives my husband mad because i keep absolutely everything she makes. i love joining in with her.

up at 4.30am this morning with jess who decided it was time to get up and watch the teletubbies christmas (yes) dvd. may be asleep at my desk by 3pm this afternoon.

have a great day everyone and good luck BM - will be thinking of you.
  • Options

OH used to find it difficult at the mother and baby groups for the same reason – she always felt she was the only one that kept an eye on her child, whilst the (invariably) bigger older more boisterous ones were allowed to run riot.

Know what you mean about the controlled crying, like you with going to bed I just make sure he knows I am around and that is usually all that is needed – still take him into the spare room from time to time though, which when we move won’t be able to do as we won’t have a spare room! – What I do do sometimes is to lie on the floor beside his bed in the night until he settles again – have sometimes woken up a couple of hours later freezing cold –

Finally got through to the solicitor – actually I didn’t, I phoned 3 times and on 3 occasions the receptionist said she would give him a message and I said what was the point because he wouldn’t bother. Trouble is you can’t say if you don’t want my business I’ll go somewhere else as we are to far down the line now to change and we would have to start again.

In desperation I phoned the estate agent (we are using their Conveyancing department) and complained to them to say that I wasn’t impressed with the service, and she phoned him straight away and he was on the phone to me within 2 minutes!) apparently they are looking to exchange 2/3 weeks. OH not happy now because it would mean that we complete around her 40th Birthday! Never happy my OH!!

Oh well work calls.

Good luck with your Mum and Molly today! Hope not to bad – Bee Keeping and Raspberries – do you live on a farm?
  • Options
    Ah the joys of moving house. Only done it the once and swore I never wanted to do it again. I wonder if I ring the Doctors and complain I seem to be getting no-where with HV if they will do the same??????

Not had a bad day. Mum was on her best behaviour, but I did stitch faces on the Ghosts she knit for Molly and Great neice Jessica. Only one person departed this world in the last week. Still haven't a clue who it was.

Tweety I have a dining room wall covered in Molly's art work. It is lovely and also detracts from the fact I have half a fireplace and no wallpaper, oh and no carpet, but thats another story. Sorry you missed Messy play. I wish they did one during the hols here. I wouldn't mind paying for it.

Went to see my friend and her 12 week old baby who is lovely and no bother. She is back childminding and had one of the kiddies today as well as her 8 ans 2 year old sons. She was lovely and Molly kept touching her really long hair and then touching hers saying 'hair' over and over again as if hers was going to grow that long. Was like a madhouse, but nice. We are going to her son's 2nd birthday tea tomorrow,I thought it was Tuesday 31st, so will have to dash into town and get a pressie, didn't go today. (Very little petrol in the car). Ran it on fumes to my mums and back. Luckily my friend lives 2 streets from mum. Hubby going to asda on way home from work in the morning, told him to put petrol in it. I get it one week in 3 and its never got petrol. Would have put som in myself if it wasn't direct debit week.

Well off to Bed Molly finally settled. She fought sleep all day. She went off at 4.30 Tried from 5.30 to bring her around. Then when she did wake up at 6.30 she cried non stop 1/2 hour then went back off until 7.30. So I have run her ragged up and down the chapel and bouncing on the bed. This is every time she has a vaccination her sleep pattern alters and she is really grumpy. It seems to take her 2 weeks to get over it. She cheered up with the other children as they took her mind off teeth etc.

Off to bed. Going to try yet again to run (today). Didn't happen yest. Got to go let dog out for her last sniff aroud the garden although I think it will be short and sweet as its bucketing down here. May have to snorkel my way to the greenhouse tomorrow if it keeps up can see puddles on the lawn already.

Thanks for wishing me luck. May need it with the HV when I try yet again today.
  • Options
    No grendel we don't live on a farm, we bought a house with a very large garden. The garden swung it with the house, mind you the house is lovely (or will be when it is finished.) Nice at the time, but I don't have the same amount of time to spend in it as I did, Hubby certainly hasn't as the kitchen been ongoing for a year next month. Mum and Dad in law who helped out a lot, are getting too old. Going to have to look at ways to cut down on the amount of work we have to do to it over next couple of years I think. Its a lovely garden though when we don't let it get away from up. We have a soft fruit patch and an allotment bit, which the previous owners set up. I grow onions and garlic. We have a couple of pear trees. The apple trees are shot though. Need new ones. We used to grow laods of veg but not had the time this year. Grew a lovely marrow and some nice corgettes, but my pumpkins have failed yet again this year. If we didn't have the patch of woodland behind the house and a small piece of fenced in wasteland between us and the houses over the road we wouldn't be able to keep them. The previous house owners left us a hive, but we didn't have the knowledge at the time to keep them going. Got some honey this year, had a couple of hair raising swarms this year. Luckily we caught them. (yes we are insured). One was like the only fools and horses episode with the chandalier. Hubby had hold of the wrong branch when he tried to cut the swarm from the tree. The ball of bees hit the ground and they made there way into my log basket. Little blighters. Nice to watch. Just hope no-one spots them through the privets during the winter when the rasps die back. Time for conifer planting I think.
  • Options
    Glad you had a good day and the house sounds amazing ! (a lot of work though)
  • Options
    Came out of the house this morning and found that one of the local chavs have decided to inscribe a circle in my windscreen with a key or a knife or something. Fortunately it was only the windscreen which is easier (and cheaper from an excess point of view) than if it had been a paint job.

Not happy and have had to pay out £75 to have it repaired on the insurance. Oh well it is just one of those things as Mum would say!

Whilst the garden sounds good BM it does sound like a lot of hard work

Getting fed up now with waiting for the move to happen but I guess these things do take there time – but the windscreen incident has made me want to move even more – Last year my car was broken into on two successive nights which cost me around about £500 with excesses etc (two break ins was treated as two claims! After that I changed my car to a Proton (a what I hear you ask) exactly a car with no street cred at all – so in theory according to government stats no chance of further problems – don’t believe it since then have had the petrol tank ruptured during that mini petrol panic late last year and now this – oh well could be worse!

Nathan actually let OH bath him last night (we are supposed to take turns every other night but he has insisted I do it since last week – although there was a bit of a row not sure why –

Then when I was putting him to bed she was trying to find one of his socks that he had taken off – couldn’t lost her temper came storming into his bedroom just as he had gone to sleep – unfortunately just as I had bent down behind the door to pick up the top off his bottle – crash and one bruised head later I found the sock in the wash basket where she had put it – of course my fault for being there! It is the second time that has happened – this time she didn’t knock me out!

Also have had to buy more mouse poison as our little blighter seems to be still around.

Anyway have a nice day all
  • Options
    Hi all

I have a bit of good news at last, plus an amusing event to relate.
  • Options
    big david; i had no idea about your health scare. glad to hearyou are feeling much better now. the physio session sounded hilarous. my husband wants to know when he can have an appointment!
  • Options
    Hi all

Sorry BD not had a chance to read your link will do so at some point tomorrow am shattered. Finished one witches outfit. Just got the tidying up of threads to do in daylight. Will get it in the post on saturday as I have just realised its got a Molly spaghetti handprint on it.

Grendel I have heard of a Proton, (my hubby works at the local car factory so I have a bit of knowledge of types and makes etc plus my work collegue drove one for years. She loved it. She was broken hearted when she had to part with it. It makes my blood boil when mindless morons (i will be polite) damage your car for no bloody reason.

Its C**P when they break into your car.I had a polo nearly 8 years ago. It was dropping to bits. I had just moved back in with my mum and dad, it was to take my Dad to his hospital appointments as he couldn't move around very well. Anyway it cost me £500 then, it was a bag of hammers (we nicknamed it flat Eric it always seemed to have a flat battery when I needed it). but no-one ever touched it. I left it unlocked by accident on several occasions. Then the electrics blew. Sadly Eric had to go to car heaven (sob) It was the saturday night/Sunday Morning and I was due to run the GNR at 10.30. Was woken up at 3.30 am by two policemen banging on the door. Davey, my mum and My Auntie who was visiting from Oz all slept through me having to go to the bottom of the street to pick up some of the last bits and pieces and secure my ikle car. Someone had tried to pinch it. When they couldn't get it to start and the lights wouldn't work they abandoned it at the bottom of the street. I was gutted. I am sure the police thought I had tried to do it for insurance purposes. I did say to them if they had knocked for the keys they could of had them. It was funny when they asked where my car was and I pointed to the empty space and said well it was there at 11.00. They asked what I'd been doing for the evening. I was really tempted to say 'sh*gging my boyfriends brains out' as Playing Monopoly on a Saturday night sounded sooo sad. Still ran the GNR, but my time was appauling. Stuck my fingers up to the B***ards who did it though. By the time I got in the house I couldn't get back to sleep. Cried buckets when Davey took me down on the Sunday after the run to clear it out fully. Still got the badges off it. Was really proud of my first car. Then there was a spate of car breakins. They tried Daveys Cavalier on 3 occasions.

How's your head??? Ouch!!! I am surprised you were not knocked out. Hope its not too painful. Still pluss side was OH bathed Nathan.

The House and garden are lovely. I wouldn't swapp it for the world, but a cleaner and a gardner would be handy (Oh and a lottery win to pay for them). Birdlife on the feeder is wonderful. We got a pair of Woodpeckers, blue, great and coal tits, sparrows, collared doves a couple of wood pidgeons, greenfinches, bull finches. We had a pair of marsh tits nesting in the bottom privets. There are a pair of sparrowhawks try to use the garden as the Birdie equivelent of Mcdonalds oh and a grey squirrel and some wild rabbits (which the dog hates).

If I could move the house and garden and the wood behind somewhere else but here I would. Still its a regeneration area and the council are starting to listen to what we want slowly but surely so see what happens.

If I don't get on before have a good weekend all.
  • Options
    Sorry got carried away again. I promise the posts will be ikle ones nxt week. xx
  • Options
    your garden sounds lovely BM.

we had a local graffiti artist/chav decorate our car a few months ago. it was in the middle of summer and done on a saturday night. the only reason it didn't get caked on all day was because i went out for an early run. so running has multiple benefits!

hope everyone has a good weekend.
  • Options
    BD Read your thread (or some of it – you have nee through the mill over the last few months – glad things are picking up now and are beginning to recover)

No after effects from the head banging the other night – but am still angry over the car hopefully autoglass will be able to come and do it tomorrow as it depends on the weather – apparently they are on call 24/7 (but only if it is dry!

Had a call from our solicitor yesterday with some questions from our purchasers solicitor –

Was my wife prepared to sign a declaration that she was also moving out – no I said I was going to leave her behind!

And one of the other questions was were we responsible for the upkeep of a local church – I pointed out that as our was an ex council house, that the guy we bought from had bought form the council – it was unlikely.

Finally when we built the conservatory did we keep the original door – I pointed out that as we had advised them previously, we had not built it – it was already there when we bought the property and they have a copy of a letter from the council confirming no planning permission was required.!

Oh well

Don’t worry about the length of the posts BM quite happy to read through them.

Tweety you were lucky the paint didn’t bake on! Will suggest to Mum and Dad that they don’t buy a brand new car in Harold Hill!

Have a great weekend everyone and will catch up at weekend if I get the chance.
  • Options
    Hello All.

Am writing this until Mol settles down. It looks she is trying to climb out of her cot. Oh no. Ive been dreading this. Hubby downstairs with his parents. Gotta go down and break the news. Will now have to go get one of those things that keeps her in the cot when we turn it into a bed. She is a wriggly worm. She kept me up for 2 hours during the night. It was Mummy drink, mummy calpie (calpol) as she was gnawing on her fingers and the cup spout. In the end Hubby got up at 5.30 am but he had slept most of yest when he came off nights.

Was looking at the lovely Little beds in Ikea today. But as we have a cot bed I have been told no. Wanted her a quilt, pillow and cover set but they had no quilts. Will go again in a couple of weeks. We have been converting most of out light bulbs to energy saving ones over the past few months and its nice and bright in here for a change. We Went to Costco yesterday and joined. Got two lots of 176 nappies for £32. Am over the moon. They should last a while. I was hoping to get the pants type ones but they were not much cheaper than 2 for £16 in Boots.
    Saved about £20 on retail price.

Not been out for a run in nearly a week. Itchy feet now. It's the excuse of Been too shattered or its been blowing a gale and bucketing down. Really want to go out and am going out tomorrow. Tried my Aldi gear out last week, good stuff.

Ah well I think thats Molly off to the land of nod. There's a bottle of Magners calling my name. Nice and cold I hope. (bargain in Costco). Could easily turn into an alcoholic its really nice. I am hungry again. Going for some nibbles. Night all.
  • Options
    night BM, enjoy the magners.

jessica has a rail on her bad - she moved from the cot when she was about molly's age i think. it doesn't stop them getting out of the bed but does stop them falling out if they move a lot in their sleep (which jessica does.)
  • Options
    BTW grendel, OH said a few choice swear words in sympathy when i told him about your windscreen. did you manage to get it fixed yet?
  • Options
    Windscreen fixed Saturday morning, on the insurance but still cost £75.00 - oh well these things are sent to try us -

Nathan went into bed at when he was about 30 months old never had a problem (OH went and stayed with her dad for a week while I did it - me and Nathan had a better time than she did!) - got a travel bedguard from Argos for about £20.00 which we use and that works fine - he can still get out of it if he wants to but is normally OK.

We got ours for £35. on ebay - although bought a new mattress.

Have a good day all.
  • Options
    only time i ever moved out was when OH painted the skirting boards with gloss paint; migranes and nausea forced me round to mother in law's house. before mini tweety was born, though.

hope you all like my new pic; 'tis mini tweety taken yesterday in her halloween outfit :-)
  • Options
    a sweet tweet!

Nathan has a pumpkin outfit - not sure he will wear it to nursery tomorrow - but he wanted one like his friends - so daddy duly obliged - luckily he wanted the one that ASDA had reduced to £3.00!!
  • Options
    ah, i know the outfit you mean. isn't it good when they go for the cheap option?

jessica sits playing on saturday mornings, blissfully unaware of all the toy adverts that are on ALL THE TIME. god help me the day she notices them and says 'can i have that mummy?'
  • Options
    We are getting that already - have ordered a set of Underground Ernie toys from M/Care the other week - cost £40.00 for Xmas and now he has decided he wants a Scooby Doo toy instead, have already spent enough on him and that is without the stocking fillers - because OH in her infinite wisdon decided to get clothes for his stocking and wondered why I wasn't to impressed. We have a wilkinson's in Southend so will get some stuff from there

I told OH tough about the Scooby Do Toy - although I know he will be happy when he gets the underground stuff.

• Options
    Am not looking forward to the day she can ask for things its bad enough now. . Ah typical. You get em bathed and beautiful and they tell you they have poo'd. isnt it Wonderful. Also struggling to get time on the net. Hubby discovered football team forum. So he is never off that when he is in.

Tweety the piccie is lovely. She looks really sweet. Off to change nappy.

Grendel Glad you got the screen sorted. Hope the b'ds that did it get the same done to them if they ever get cars (That is if they are not already banned 100 times for no licence etc).

Molly is going to be a witch. (daddy says no change there then).
  • Options
    ah, jess has a tendency to do the all clean after bath and then poo ritual. i changed a nappy last night which actually nearly made me throw up. USE THE POTTY!

grendel - did nathan wear his costume this morning?
    BM - hope molly enjoys dressing up. jess loves it.

am hoping to get off work early today so i can go and join in the party at mother in laws. she has decorated the house for the kids and i wanna party. am going to borrow some scrubs from theatre at work and cover myself in fake blood. i did it a few years ago and the local kids screamed when i answered the door, ha ha!
  • Options
    We usually have a party, but Sunderland at home tonight (B's). So we are having one at the weekend instead. Mum in law and sister in law once answered our door wearing their sheets and masks, smaller kids took fright, bigger kids looked at us as if to say 'you shouldn't be dressing up'.

We usually have our families up. Mine going to be very thin on the ground. Mum got something to do with church on and siter definataly not welcome. We saw her and her husband on Sunday as we were in the car. Well OH spotted them taking the dog for a walk. His whole mood changed. It is really awful. They must have seen the car outside of mums as when OH went out to admire new guttering he said they were coming up the street on their way back thet must have gone up the next street. Then yesterday Molly saw a similar dog and started saying, beckie dog woof. I thought oh hell i'm in trouble. He is going to think I saw Jill and the dog. Luckily he had a half day so I got to tell him before I went to mums. He admitted he would have thought I wasn't telling the truth if she had said it. Says a lot doesn't it.

We got to order our new cooker yesterday. Hopefully its arriving on Thursday. Managed to get it from Comet as no where else got it. Got an extra £100 off too as they price matched Curry's.

MOlly's got 2 lovely bruises on her forehead one from bouncing on the sofa on Sunday and hitting it on the arm, the other from bouncing on the bed yesterday, then bouncing off. We are At Sure start today going to be fun!! She still tried to bounce on the bed though. Dave keeps asking what happened. If he asks once more am going to say are you trying to imply I am hitting her??? I know I get tired and grumpy, but I leave her in the room with the baby gate shut if she winds me up too much, I can still see and hear her.

She clawed my face and really pulled my hair yesterday when we were in Comet. I stopped her from opening and slamming the cooker doors. Then she lay face down and had a hissy fit. The joys of parenting.
  • Options
    Morning, Nathan wasn’t going to wear it as he was a bit bolshie when we got up this morning, he had originally woken up at 5:10 so had taken him into spare bed – normally we lie awake and talk, but he went back off to sleep leaving me lying on the edge of the bed – and I had to wake him. Normally he is OK but as we were running late he did not have as much time to play as normal so he had a tantrum about getting dressed – so he insisted that the teachers at nursery would put the outfit on for him – then he changed his mind just as we were getting into the car and so I had to put it on him then and he wore it, including pumpkin mask (free from the Scooby Doo magazine) – Unfortunately did not get a chance to take a picture, will try tonight.

We normally turn all the front lights and the door bell off on Halloween so we don’t get disturbed – but we have a removal company coming tonight to give a quote so will have to buy some sweets I suppose!
  • Options
    Aw Grendel, the spirit of halloween. Our bell doesn't work and I can't hear anyone knock as the patio is between us and the street enterence to the house which stays firmly locked unless we expecting visitors.

Going to get some choc for Mol who has gone to sleep. Going to get ready to go out.